Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Notices

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Old 05-24-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Hello! All of you in the USA are probably still awake - maybe like me, you're listening to the sounds of the party animals outside raising hell. The apartment out back is hosting some kind Memorial Weekend Fest, guys and girls yelling at the top of their lungs and their voices dripping with the slurs of booze.

I don't envy them, or wish to join them - I just want them to quiet down. I love my sober mornings, and my peaceful nighttime sleeps. Do I have to move to a cabin in the woods or what? Sheesh.

I think I'm just frustrated because I went for a morning jog yesterday morning and pulled a muscle, it has me laid up for the day. Good grief, I'm a grumpy old man tonight! I promise I'll survive and carry on!

I hope everyone out there is having a safe and sober weekend. Looking forward to hearing how things are going for you all.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Ha! I made a point to stay out at my families this weekend just for that reason and because it's my first holiday weekend sober.. They live in the country about an hour out of the city so at least I have some peace and quite. Eating watermelon and kicking back with a movie now. Hope they simmer down and you can get some sleep tonight I'm sure they'll all be feeling 'great' tomorrow morning.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your lack of peace and quiet, bigsombrero. Luckily it doesn't sound like a nightly occurrence or I would say start packing. I also have close neighbors and I get bugged with noise. I like quiet these days.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Brain, delicata is a delicious squash that tastes a lot like acorn, but after you roast it you can eat the skin! I got hooked on it last year so I decided to plant my own this year.
Ruby, I don't think we have monarchs, but I do have a tiny backyard and I would be happy to plant some milkweed....if it grows in my neck if the woods.
Sombrero, I tendinitissed my foot last week and I am sidelined as well. I am all resentful that I can't take long walks with the dog this weekend. Just finished soaking it in Epsom salt and wrapped it up. It hurts a little less for now.
I don't know why, but I am watching South Park and I can't stop.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

BigSombrero, I'm still awake but am in my kitchen listening to my old refrigerator humming instead of people partying. There are some benefits of living in the uncool part of town. Quiet and parking spaces. Oh, wait. Sirens. Mostly quiet. Sounds like fire trucks.

Brian, congrats on seven months.

I hope everyone has a peaceful evening. See you in the morning.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well this evening! Had a nice walk myself today on a resevoir overlooking the city. I love the view and very peaceful to walk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Park.jpg (83.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey y'all ,
sunday morning here . Had a crash yesterday in spirit and ended up eating sweets sat in bed watching old movies . Thats my default comfort zone so no harm done and it's a different day today

Feeling burdened by the weight of others expectations at the moment, i'm sure it will sort itself out , just need to hold true .

Bestwishes , m
Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

BigS... I could hear the party as you described it. I hate hearing two people slur at each other. I grew a tin ear to it when it was me slurring but to hear it sober is nauseating.

Up early for the gym. House guest still in bed. One Benny of his visit is he cleans the cat boxes for me! Whoop!

Hope you are well... Half way point this morning! You can choose to stay sober! You have all the power you need to do that. And if you weakling come here and tell a SR friend!

K
Old 05-25-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Great Ones!

Even working at only 2/3 speed in my shop yesterday has my back barking this morning. I'm gonna have to give it a rest today. I have a little light painting to do, but otherwise I'm gonna try to stay off my feet. That's a bummer for me, but probably the smart move.

I wanted to gauge interest in starting a personal financial planning social group here on SR. Check out the thread here if you are interested.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-planning.html
Old 05-25-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

My cats lay lazily around the lanai.....
Old 05-25-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Good morning all;

Lots of great posts yesterday! I really enjoy reading everyone's posts on this thread and look forward to more today and more pictures.

I went out to dinner last night with a good friend. There are so many things I really love about going out to eat without drinking. The entire meal cost me only $20 including tip and I paid for the appetizer. Granted, we weren't at a fancy restaurant, but normally when we met for dinner before, we'd split at least one bottle of wine and my bill would be at least $40 and sometimes more. But more than the money, I really love being PRESENT. I'm not looking at my wine glass, wondering how much ifs left if the bottle, wondering if it's enough etc. Looking in the rear view mirror, it's crazy to me how much time I spent thinking about alcohol and stressing over it. Now, I can really engage in a conversation with my friend and it's so wonderful. Just another benefit of sobriety.

My husband just got up and interrupted my "me" time here in the morning. He is not an addict and has trouble understanding why I need this site. It's not that he's not supportive, he just doesn't understand. But, he also doesn't drink very much and not at all in the house, so I'm very grateful for that.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 05-25-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

M. Sorry to hear that you are down. I've been feeling that weight of expectations. I'm realizing that some of it, much of it, I've placed there myself. It is so hard to just let it go but I have to because it is the biggest drag on sobriety at this point.

I love the visual of cats lying lazily on the lanai. Snoozing in the sunshine.

Non, I will check out the personal finance thread. I am so very bad with money. Always have been. My mothers advice is the best and so hard to follow. Pay all your bills first, when they come in. It seems so simple and self explanatory but for no good reason I just always get jammed up.

Daughter wants to use the iPad so I will hand it over and go do things I need to do, and not things I necessarily want to do. Later! Have a great day all! Church and then maybe garden supply store.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Ruby.... Here is the image to go with the words...

Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by newman23 View Post
I hope everyone is doing well this evening! Had a nice walk myself today on a resevoir overlooking the city. I love the view and very peaceful to walk
That is a beautiful view. Isn't it amazing how peaceful the city looks from a distance. When you get close it is another story, not the life for me.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Ruby.... Here is the image to go with the words...

Is it just your cats or does gravity not exist in Portland?

They look so content.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Thanks Ken. They do look so peaceful and contented together.

Time to get showered. I finally took baby steps towards planting the pots. I do a lot of them because I am addicted to pots as I was to drinking. Pun. I had the thought that planting is a lot like getting sober. And a lot like drinking. You sow but you really don't know what you will get in the end. You can only hope for the best. I haven't conveyed the angst I have with planting. I have always taken some pride in how my plants look and am known in my small circle for having nice pots. The color and texture. Olive paints and plants. I just plant. What if I don't do it right? What if it looks horrible? What if I screw it up this year? That is what has been keeping me from launching into it. Much like quitting drinking. I stayed stuck. Finally, I just had to trust. I know what works for the most from past practice. I know that even though stuff looks puny now it will grow and mature and not look like sticks in a pot.

So, the first three aren't magnificent specimens but I am mostly satisfied. Trial and error.

I have to shower now for church since my daughter tells me I stink. Then I will go to the garden supply place for new paints for my palate.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

good day to all. watched 10 episodes of dexter season 2 last night. went to be bed at 5 AM on the east coast. BRILLIANT! Not the show - that we layed on the couch for over 8 hours watching 'TV'. last episode is left. Had 5 hours of sleep.
Olive I looked on 'parks' seeds. I may give this delicata a try. I'll put the summer squash in the ground today, black beans and bush beans. I have a lot to do in the garden today - this is like saying the fish are gonna swim today. And a dozen pots too. Looks like I own the entire garden this year. A little domestic squabble The MRS will be in bed until at least 2 to get her beauty rest.

Still catching up on winter/spring/hail storm cleanup -- Mem Day party at 5 PM. I think we'll make a courtesy appearance and leave when the natives start getting drunk.
Catch final episode of dexter tonight - make a fire and soak in hot tub - it's a trigger for me - but we have juice and sparkling water.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Not sure if I can figure out how to post photos, but I'm attempting to post one of Charlee in the lake. Water was really high and it was really bright when I took the photo, but he had fun and then we had a great hike. On the way home I stopped and got donuts for the kids (okay, and me too). Now for the rest of the day. My daughter is going to visit our friend's farm. Ruby, I am going to ask my friend if she has any milkweed and transplant some in our yard. Thanks for letting us know about the monarchs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CharleeLake.jpg (97.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charleesavedme View Post
Not sure if I can figure out how to post photos, but I'm attempting to post one of Charlee in the lake. Water was really high and it was really bright when I took the photo, but he had fun and then we had a great hike. On the way home I stopped and got donuts for the kids (okay, and me too). Now for the rest of the day. My daughter is going to visit our friend's farm. Ruby, I am going to ask my friend if she has any milkweed and transplant some in our yard. Thanks for letting us know about the monarchs.
Your dog is awesome.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I love watching dogs that love the water. I had a Doberman (Jinx) who loved playing in the waves. He was such a beautiful, noble looking animal. Very intimidating though at 120 lbs, but a sweetheart, especially with kids who always wanted to ride him. Now I have a Westie, another noble, but stubborn little creature. Doesn't like to swim but we taught her to in our pool just in case she ever fell in. She soon learned not to panic and how to get out. Don't have the pool any more, but I think she is less afraid of the ocean and lakes because of it. She'll go in on her own if it's hot out. Lovely day, incredible light, long walk in the park day. Will take some pics.