Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Notices

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I have changed my plans. I was going camping but since my husband is working it would be my first ever solo camping trip. I have decided that now is not the time for such a challenge. I am making a list of healthy pursuits instead.
I am a bit nervous. Potentially I could feel bored and isolated.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"
You can always rely on the Shawshank Redemption for a helpful quote. :-)
Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm in. Already three pages and it's only Thursday!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
That is some unusual diet advice! Unless you are a deer, and eat too many shrubberies
Hilarious NMD and Nonsensical - 24lbs.! Do not disappear on us please. You would be missed.

Ruby - you are right. The Appalachians. I realized after I posted the pic that the best part is hard to see. The Blue Ridge Parkway, section between Tennessee and North Carolina. Magical place. One of my very favorite places of all time. **If anyone ever plans to bike this area - my suggestion would be that you do not forget to bring your car. I forgot mine and swore about it the whole way.

Just realizing that there are quite a few options for parties and celebrations this weekend. I think I have just whittled it down to my single original plan...the pool. Love the pool!

I just love the weekend thread! Thanks guys for the great reading.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I'm in. Already three pages and it's only Thursday!
Long weekend = long ramp up mentally.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

image-73657040.jpg

It's a beautiful day on the lake!!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

"Don't forget the car" reminds me of my grandfather's recent visitors. He opened his back door to two strangers who asked "where are we?"

They were canoeing on a stream that runs through the back of my grandfather's property and apparently got disoriented and didn't know how to get back to their car.

Brain, I love your photos. They are gorgeous.
Tang, my son is very good at what he does - wheedling things out of mom. I plan to retire on his earnings. I'll have to wait though. He's only 8. I am frightened of the teenage years.

At the office, biding my time before getting sprung for the day. Getting hyped about being off for three days even though I don't have big plans.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

thunder and HAIL

just a quick check in
I was getting ready for some outside work, thunder was rumbling for twenty minutes. ... then little white balls starting dropping out of the sky, in ten minutes I was covering things -- had to put on heavy coat and hat for protection it was coming down in buckets!

wife called and said many car windows broken - not hers. but it I think the car looks like a golf ball now. I'll know soon enough. the ground was covered in big hail too. apple tree took a big hit, plants - por babies. I still don't know everything - can't wait to see the car... just what I need, guess a pot of coffee is in order -

it was NASTY

Well at least it's over for now, grilled tuna on the menu tonight.

uh oh, the sky is getting dark again and more thunder...
Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

we had another bad hail storm - smaller hail but you couldn't see through it. my rhododendron that just starting blooming was stripped, my veggies are smashed, a new robin's nest was knocked out of my japanese maple, my, my , my
damages are in the tens!
except for the car...
Old 05-22-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

In for another sober weekend. I'm in Canada and we had our holiday last weekend.

I think Bacon man's 24 pounds has made it's way to my butt!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Time to 'fess up. I am doing something else this weekend. I am giving up cigars. I used to just puff on (not inhale) 2 or 3 a week. I started smoking more often when I quit drinking and now I am smoking (and inhaling) 2 or 3 a day. The results are predictable - shortness of breath, persistent cough, sore throats, etc. Time to stop. Those dang things will kill faster than booze.

I timed my supply to run out right after the business trip I had earlier this week. Kept the crutch through that. I'm on my last one now, and I can tell it's going to be hard to quit. My mind is already in drug-seeking-mode. Maybe I can buy one more and tell the wife I found it in the bottom of a drawer or something. Definitely addicted.

Man, I hope I don't turn into a flaming a-hole. Positive thoughts!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

You can do it Non!
I found giving up smoking much, much easier than giving up alcohol. And you can always come gripe here to us. We know how to use the ignore button!

Tonight I am going to a birthday dinner with my whole family. Fancy restaurant for my Mother's 75th. It should be fun. I hope to be home early, it is a school night after all. But tomorrow should be lazy at work and then a delightful three day weekend!

I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend eve!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Those were bad storms Brain, reports of a funnel cloud down here in Delaware. Luckily not where I am.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I am so in for this! Going to be toughie! Glad to b here with all of you!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I am in for a sober weekend.

Was in rehab for last years Memorial Day Weekend. We had a pool party and got access to soft drinks. Still makes me laugh to this day- You have never 35 people go more crazy going through a cooler full of cokes.

Been though other long holiday weekends sober in the past year, so feeling very strong

I all ready have my weekend planned with my girlfriend and we are going to be doing a lot of sober grilling and swimming.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

in thanks Mec! I mean't Weasel! Thanks Weasel
Old 05-22-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Mary2

I'm in xx
Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
FZ1

Hey guys. New here just tonight. I have been struggling with alcohol nightly for 10+ years. I need some accountability and strength this weekend!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey Verte, why don't you take a picture of you on your new three wheeler with the milk crate on it for us. I bet you even have one of those bell ringers.

Welcome to all the newcomers - too many to mention. Well actually, too many to remember you all.
Whenever you feel a craving coming on just log on here and post it. The cavalry will come charging at you.

Mrs. Brain now doesn't want to go to a party. "They will all be drinking." No sttt sherlock. The last time she drank was at the same place about a year ago. Her liver hurt so she just decided to not drink again. Just like that! Imagine.
SUID, we got hit hard. When I called insurance they already knew the story. Seems like they already got hundreds of calls before me. Car looks like somebody took a hammer to it. I did make a fresh pot of coffee. Didn't grill tuna cause of weather. Blacked it on skillet instead.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hang with us bp09! I have found this weekenders thread a lifeline at times.

Well, I am wrapping up for the night and then to work in the morning. Husband doesn't work tonight and will be home to get kids breakfasts while I make lunches in the daily scramble to get out the door. Easier now I'm sober and not hung over.

Good night!