Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Notices

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

In for the win. Hoping for a quiet sober weekend. At least as quiet as it can be with a 3 year old and baby lol.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Just checking in, doing great, good to hear everyone else is as well. Going to watch the Champions League final in a couple of hours and grill with my girlfriend later.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Great idea! Hope everyone gets some sun too. Looks like a lot of the rain that was predicted is holding off.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Well... Today was not the best day of the weekend so the trip to Camden was put off a day.

Instead I went to the beach and strolled. I have two pics below. I also went to my favorite pizza place and I love the old cemetery's in the area. They go back to the 1700's.

Visited an old house I owned and wow they let it go! So sad to see.

More out and about stuff to do today!

Ken

Old 05-24-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi everyone

Just love reading about everyone's morning and day. Mecanix, your description of your moment on the doorstep drinking coffee and listening to the rain is going on my refrigerator. What a great moment in your day!

Charleesavedme - there have been quite a few German shorthair pointer rescue dogs in my life and for whatever reason it seems that abuse manifests itself quite obviously within that breed. Good for you for caring for and loving those doggies of yours.

Right there with you guys ktwsober - Cannot wait to watch the Champions league pre-game. Excited that there is coverage on a main channel and I do not have to fling it up (sling it up?).

Austin4Wyo - Would like to thank you for your service and glad you are here. I have an Officer in my family and feel an enormous debt of gratitude. Sorry, I will not be joining you with race car sports watching - one of the only sports that did not catch on for me.

Nonsensical - I'm sure your family appreciated that you held off (until 5:45am instead of 5:30am) before putzing around and sawing boards in your shop.

I wish I had more uplifting plans to report but had a night of horrible nightmares last night. Always unexpected. Have to roll with it. Sports on the TV is the order of the day!! Maybe a little socializing at a friend's BBQ. Definitely will keep reading about everyone else's day here...what interesting lives you all have.

Take care SRers. Guard that jewel called sobriety! Stay strong, stay, strong, stay strong.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

It's a beautiful day. Just putzing around outside in the garden with my dog
Old 05-24-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Wow! Everyone is so busy today. Ken, I love old cemeteries. I found a photo yesterday of one of my favorite old stones that reads only "let me sleep." Son has ear and throat infection so antibiotics for him. Plus breathing treatments on a nebulizer after the doctor said "you cough like an old man."

Right now we are eating a late lunch and relaxing.

Hawk, thanks for the photos. What a great dog. And Tang, I like Great Danes. I took a photo of one at the park last week. It was the biggest, tallest Dane I have ever seen. White with black spots and 170 pounds. My aunt has had two and this one easily beat those two in height. Oh, and on the way back from the doctor I saw a sign at an auto shop that said "we fix hail damage" so I guess the hail was worse than I thought.

I'm running out of steam and it's only 2:30. Sleep does help. Glad I'm not sleeping over Non's workshop. I have to run again as daughter not listening.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

The bad news is that 1/2 of my peppers and tomato plants were ruined by the hail. The good news is that if it didn't happen I wouldn't have discovered that home depot had 8 - count em - 8 poblano/ancho pepper plants. I got me three! Picked up some eggplant too!
10 varieties of pepper, 8 varieties of tomatoes, greens, legumes and root plants...onions...

Won't be diggin taters with granny though - soil not prepared enough.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
nmd

Got my veggies outside to harden off, and i'm planting next weekend I think. Spent the rest of the day splitting perrenials, mulching and prepping beds, and applying pesticides to some trees. I'm just covered in dirt, ack! My golden retriever had lots of fun following me around today and laying in the beds where i was working. Very helpful.

Heading to the neighbors for a clam bake later! ...with a cooler of ginger ale.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Sweet dog, hawk.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

A clam bake sounds fantastic! I love clams, but I've never been to one!
Old 05-24-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hawk... Your pictures are fantastic!

Happy Saturday everyone!

Old 05-24-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!

Sounds like everyone is having a spectacular weekend thus far!

Been puttering around all day. Planted two sad looking tomato plants, my beet seeds and my pickle seeds and some delicata squash.

Put some paprika chicken in the oven to simmer. Made an angel food cake.

Now I am painting with my oils. And I think that will carry me through until night time.

Carry on with all your fabulous sober plans and I will look forward to more weekend descriptions and photos!!

Love the lighthouse, Weasel!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Olive,

Paprika chicken and angel food cake. Sounds delicious!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Just logged on and saw a wealth of beautiful pictures and insightful discussion. Definitely livens up the evening. Thanks all!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Olive, I just bought an angel food cake. I'm going to eat some later but it won't be the same as home made.

Didn't get the orange cat. I don't think that cat is good with kids and It turned out my son was more interested in buying toys to play with the cat than the cat itself. We bought toys so he can play with our current cats.

I am going to get everyone to bed early and start again tomorrow. Too much running around today.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Trying to find inspiration to get started on my potted plants so I checked out my stuff from last year. I was pretty happy with these. I will keep looking.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

hey olive, delicata squash - is that some greek variety, never heard of it. I just finished painting my potatoes with oil, peeled n cut a big baker into 1/8s, oiled, old bay with black pepper and on the grill, marinating cut up chicken breasticles in bbq with smoked habanero pepper sauce, going be a spicy evening here -nudge-nudge
Old 05-24-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

LBrain, your dinner sounds delicious. You must have a lot of room for gardening. I'm jealous.

I'm lobbying anyone with a back yard or garden to plant milkweed or leave it be if you have monarch butterflies around. They are losing habitat because everyone gets rid of the milkweed which is all they lay their eggs on. It randomly started growing along my garage in the alley and then in my yard along the fence a few years ago. I tie it up in the yard to keep it neat and it adds height and background to the shorter plantings.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say, a little over 7 months here and I thank God that I am alive, I'm sober, I'm a grateful member of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Wow! I love everyone's pictures and posts! We recovering people can be quite productive when we want to be. Myself not so much. :-(. Friday night I went to a meeting, went to an art exhibit, and cut an interview for a local university. Fell asleep watching the WWE Network. Saturday, woke up had breakfast and coffee, more WWE network, went to a meeting, got my bike tuned up, shaved my head, did some reading went to another meeting. Now I'm at home getting ready to watch Lock Up(the 1980s Stallone movie not the msnbc show). I'm just enjoying the peace and being lazy but staying busy. In the past I'd have just holed up inside and drank for 3 days when not passed out. Happy Memorial Day everyone and I hope you all are enjoying this new life as much as I am!