Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 2

Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post

What really brought me back here is that my son is very talented and I don't think I've been catering to him as best as I could. And I know the years will fly and I would hate to look back and realized he missed opportunities because of me.

I completely understand, NT, this is what keeps bringing me back, too (except insert daughter in there). I finally realized I had real problem with alcohol a few months after she turned 2. I tried AA and then got pregnant with our second, lost the baby, etc and before I knew it I was right back at it. Then I found SR last April (a few months after she turned 3). She just turned 4 and here I am still struggling and fighting this thing. Time flies and they are only this little once. I don't want anymore regrets. So, here's to getting it right this time!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
Got back to the gym today and it felt amazing, as soon as I started lifting those dumbells I remembered that this is who I'm suppose to be, not a drunk. I find that strength training has been my best defence against alcohol, during my dry January I took it incredibly seriously and it was great to find my muscles were still there. For anyone thinking of things to fill their time when going sober, I'd recomend hitting the gym!
I was getting into pretty good shape before my latest adventure, going back to the gym tomorrow, I totally agree with you.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

My apologies in advance for this repost. I posted in a different thread by mistake. So Im starting over again. Working on day 2. I was an alcoholic for over 20 yrs, I had over 6yrs sober, then I went back to drinking for 3yrs, sober 8 months, drinking again for 5 months. I have tried several times to stop in Janurary. Now I start again in Feb. Dealing with depression, grief and ptsd is hard enough on thier own but mixed with drinking and it only sends me deeper into a dark place that I am desperately trying to climb out of. I made commitment to myself to come here everyday. I need to hold myself accountable somehow. Only I change me. No amount of treatment is going to help if I can not help myself. I write this to that I can see it in writing that I want to be sober.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Welcome to the February class, alm! Wow, 6 years sober and then 8 months is awesome. If you don't mind me asking - what led you back to drinking after 6 years of sobriety?

Glad to have you with us
Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Day 5 for me today. Still a tad weak and feverish, but delighted to have made it this far. Yay!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Day 17 for me and feeling great. Have today and tomorrow off of work. Just having some coffee and listening to music. Yesterday, to change it up, I bought some Mandarin orange seltzer, and with the cranberry juice it tastes awesome! Can't wait to have it later.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hey Dee, when I went tot he Feb thread, it was closed? I am still in, with a quit date of 2-3-14. :-) Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaulinaPolitely View Post
Hey Dee, when I went tot he Feb thread, it was closed? I am still in, with a quit date of 2-3-14. :-) Thanks!
You might have been trying to post on Part 1 of the thread.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

My mom was very ill (cancer then stroke) for 7yrs before she passed away. It was torture seeing her so sick. I felt very helpless. And i still do. I tried to escape all the pain and helplessness by drinking. I felt I wanted to die. Now im am trying to put myself back together. It seems alot harder this time. Alot more emotional baggage.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alm7777 View Post
My mom was very ill (cancer then stroke) for 7yrs before she passed away. It was torture seeing her so sick. I felt very helpless. And i still do. I tried to escape all the pain and helplessness by drinking. I felt I wanted to die. Now im am trying to put myself back together. It seems alot harder this time. Alot more emotional baggage.
Very sorry to hear that you had to go through that, mustn't have been easy. But try to keep in mind that your mother would have wanted you to take care of yourself and enjoy life, not douse yourself in alcohol. Make a healthy and happy life a goal again, it's what your mother would have wanted.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss, alm. I can't even begin to imagine what you went through. You are in the right place now. Lots of support here. Keep reading and posting!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Want to say that I am all in and think this time I got it. Afraid saying that will jinx me somehow. But, I think this last stumble has changed me somehow and changed the way I feel about alcohol.. if that makes any sense. Had awful insomnia last night but no panic attacks which is good.

Still no desire to drink.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I was looking for a post for this month. Just read up on AVRT, makes sense. I think my addiction voice goes for food also. Hope we all stay in there!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Count me in, today is day one!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Welcome to all of the newcomers! Lots of help here
Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

My apologies in advance for this repost. I posted in a different thread by mistake. So Im starting over again. Working on day 2. I was an alcoholic for over 20 yrs, I had over 6yrs sober, then I went back to drinking for 3yrs, sober 8 months, drinking again for 5 months. I have tried several times to stop in Janurary. Now I start again in Feb. Dealing with depression, grief and ptsd is hard enough on thier own but mixed with drinking and it only sends me deeper into a dark place that I am desperately trying to climb out of. I made commitment to myself to come here everyday. I need to hold myself accountable somehow. Only I change me. No amount of treatment is going to help if I can not help myself. I write this to that I can see it in writing that I want to be sober.
SR will be here to help you EVERYDAY; don't give up.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Welcome, Alm! I'm so sorry about your mom. I, too, lost my mom after a long battle with cancer. It's devastating watching someone go through that. I think my drinking may have been something I used to avoid dealing with it. Hopefully, we can find a healthier way to come to terms. My best to you.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Preparing for the loss, the loss itself, and the ensuing overwhelming grief can take its toll on mind, body and soul. I, like you, tried to escape the pain by drinking. So glad that you are here.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Just been feeling empty and am losing interest in hobbies again.. Had these problems before the drinking and not surprising they're still here. Kitty's kidney's are failing and I'm just feeling so hollow..

Im not going to let these issues become excuses to resume drinking and am going to force myself to go for a run soon.

Guess I am wallowing in self-pity. Hope everyone's day is going well.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
I completely understand, NT, this is what keeps bringing me back, too (except insert daughter in there). I finally realized I had real problem with alcohol a few months after she turned 2. I tried AA and then got pregnant with our second, lost the baby, etc and before I knew it I was right back at it. Then I found SR last April (a few months after she turned 3). She just turned 4 and here I am still struggling and fighting this thing. Time flies and they are only this little once. I don't want anymore regrets. So, here's to getting it right this time!
I'm very sorry you had to go through that LB.

I did remember you have a young girl around 3. How is she doing?

I'll certainly need help doing this again as well. So, yes, get it right this time LB and everyone.

So, let's all help each other out February Class. I'm glad to back already and it's only day (1). I don't know why I thought I could attempt this on my own the past few months.

Have a great night all....