Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 2

Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Lonely, glad you're here. I hope your sleep goes back to normal soon.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am joining this class after five sober weeks (nearly to the day) in January. I started a thread on my decision to drink for two days and it sparked a lot of controversy, so I feel more comfortable joining this class and declaring my commitment to sobriety once again.

Best wishes to everyone! It can be done.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Still awake at 01:00am, always get such bad insomnia first few days, bit shaky and sweaty but not too bad, looking forward to getting these difficult nights done and carry on moving forward. Feel awful that I lapsed but hopeful I can beat it this time.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Just dream of all the money you are going to save lonely shadow. I took my family of four on a cruise after 18 months. Hang in there
Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Had a not-so-great black out episode last night, and it's made me recommit to sobriety (I had been barely drinking since early December until the past week). I'm 26 years old, and it's taken me a decade to finally understand that there can be no moderation of alcohol for me. So Day 1 is complete...a relief.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Kleigh, I quit for the first time when I was 25. I made it 9 months. I went back because I thought I could moderate. I'm 31 now and at 45 days. I will never be able to drink normally. It's good that you have decided this at your age. Just stick with it!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

For those that relapsed, at least you guys know what did not work for you so you don't repeat the same mistake again. We all went through that period where we thought we could moderate our drinking, I know I did, in many ways. Let's not repeat history
Old 02-15-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone,

Hope all had a good day yesterday and an even
better one today. Had a good day shopping all day
yesterday with the family and culminated with a
nice T-Bone Steak .. Had 7 glasses of sweet tea, I think
the young waitress thought I was crazy, as I didn't go to the restroom
the whole time. Have a 3hr drive ahead of me
today to get back home. But, today is day 14 and tomorrow is a holiday.

Have a great Sunday! Thank goodness CFB, MLB and NFL are done
Old 02-16-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Great sober sleep last night and felt very refreshed this morning! This weekend has been busy, as most of mine are with my kids playing on travel sports teams, but this weekend, my second one sober, seems longer and more restful than usual.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good morning class,

Day 8 and had a really nice night out with hubby last night. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed the food (and how much I could eat!) I guess I never realized how much alcohol affects your appetite/taste buds. Hubby had a few strong beers and it was interesting being sober and watching him go from sober to buzzed. I can't imagine how bad and annoying I used to be. There were many times where he was sober and watched me go from sober to black out drunk. Ugh. Not my best moments.

Anyway, it feels really good to have made it through the weekend (especially after last Sat's slip). Nothing is better than a hungover free Sunday

Hope everyone is doing well today. Happy to be here with all of you
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

I've been in a bazillion groups and kept going back to wine. Trying to tell myself I don't have a problem, Im not that bad, etc. And I'm not-no DUI's, no job loss, no horrible fights etc. But I hate the person I become when I drink and I drink every night so that's not so good is it? Plus, I think all those above things might be waiting for me if I keep this up.

So, I'm re-committing today once again. No huge major catalyst--just have decided enough is enough. I want to be a better person, worker, girlfriend, mom to my critters so there it is. No more wine.

It's going to be hard, but anything worth it is hard, right?

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
So, I'm re-committing today once again. No huge major catalyst--just have decided enough is enough. I want to be a better person, worker, girlfriend, mom to my critters so there it is. No more wine. It's going to be hard, but anything worth it is hard, right?
It's great that you not only want to quit, but that you've found worthwhile reasons to quit which will, in the long run, help you stay sober. Because you want to strive to be a better mother, girlfriend etc., you can always remind yourself of these things.

Welcome to the class of February, truly friendly and great people in this class. Let's stay sober together
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alexc1991 View Post
It's great that you not only want to quit, but that you've found worthwhile reasons to quit which will, in the long run, help you stay sober. Because you want to strive to be a better mother, girlfriend etc., you can always remind yourself of these things.

Welcome to the class of February, truly friendly and great people in this class. Let's stay sober together
Thank you. And yes, sober together.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, mind if I join you? day 1 here.

Haven't tried to cut out alcohol for quite some time. Last year around this time I made some positive changes that didn't totally stick. I feel like the past year is a blur, and I find myself starting over again, going back to the same good habits I picked up... I really want to make these permanent patterns.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
Hi everyone, mind if I join you? day 1 here. Haven't tried to cut out alcohol for quite some time. Last year around this time I made some positive changes that didn't totally stick. I feel like the past year is a blur, and I find myself starting over again, going back to the same good habits I picked up... I really want to make these permanent patterns.
If course you can join us. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here. What I find helps is if you find what exactly made you break those positive changes, so you don't repeat the same mistake again.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

day 11
Old 02-16-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Awesome Brazilian! I'm on week 2
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Happy to join the Class of February 2014 today, as mentioned in this post from my thread titled "TERRIFIED of Alcohol Detox": (only 4 posts here so far, so I can't post a direct link)

Originally Posted by bobquin View Post
Well, folks, I DID IT!

Entered the detox unit on Wednesday, and was discharged yesterday. It was MUCH less uncomfortable than I'd feared. You were all right. The meds (Librium for detox and trazadone for sleeping) made a world of difference, and aside from some shakes and a few dry-heaves here and there, it was not bad AT ALL.

I'm now on day 4 of my sobriety, and can't be more delighted about it! I went to an AA meeting last night, and will be attending another this evening. I also reached out to a friend who has 10 years of sobriety and asked her to be my sponsor. Hopefully, we'll be able to make it work!

Thanks to ALL of your for your helpful input in this thread. Now, I'm off to join the Class of February 2014 thread!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Welcome Samwich, Ilya, and bobquin. Congratulations on your commitment to sobriety.

Way to go Brazilian and Alex. Day 16 for me. We are plugging along together.

I was so worried about slipping yesterday, Day 15, because that was when I restarted drinking last time I quit. My AV has been chattering all weekend, especially yesterday afternoon. It finally quieted after dinner. Last night I settled in to watch the Olympics with the fireplace roaring and a big mug of herbal chai tea. It felt great to enjoy the act of watching the Olympics, rather than drinking while the Olympics plays in the background. I stayed up later than I would if I was drinking and woke up refreshed this morning.

But the AV is at it again this afternoon. I was busy all morning at my kids' sports, then came home and cooked some meals in advance for the week, and started thinking of my hectic week ahead at work. My AV started telling me how great wine would taste with the meals I cooked. It also told me how nice it would be to get a buzz tonight.

Sigh.

The act of sharing this with you all is pushing the AV off track. Tonight we are going to a youth sports booster club find raiser, and we are skipping the trip that some of our friends are taking to the restaurant/bar afterwards. Going to come home, make dessert, and watch tv!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

@gleefan Try drinking seltzer water with a splash of cranberry juice to curb the cravings. It worked for me as it does a lot of people on here. Maybe it will work for you too, who knows, something to try.