Notices

Class of August 2011

Old 08-12-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Piotr--I had to laugh at your post. I find the entrance to the AA meetings by looking for the smokers too! Kinda funny! I go to several different meetings a week (all woman's groups except for 1) and I find every meeting interesting because they are all different.

Amy--Have a good, sober weekend!

R4R--Thanks again for all your support! I enjoy reading your posts. You are so positive and inspiring! Plus we are on the "same" day so now "it's on"...I'm not going to break the chain! LOL

Primrose--Hang in there. I find that my emotions are all over the map. Sad one minute, sorta happy the next. It's both confusing and frustrating to me. I realized last night that the down in the dumps feeling I was experiencing would usually call for a glass of wine (or 2) and then I'd be my "ole happy self." But that is not where I want to be or what I want to do. So I'm trying to relearn how to be happy sans alcohol. (Any advice here would be greatly appreciated)

Coffeespoons--You could raise the glass to your lips and pretend to take a sip. I agree that people won't even notice. By the time the toast comes around, people have been drinking and don't notice these tiny details.

I'm going to a friends house tonight and we've previously drank with them. I'm going to bring my own...Pelligrino water. I was trying to figure out my "excuse" for not drinking and my husband came up with a great idea--I'm doing a 'cleanse'. I'm going to go with that for tonight!!

Alaska--Congrats on day 2!

Canuhearme--Welcome!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

CS - I think you can have fun at the wedding soberly... just watch everyone else and see how entirely silly (or stupid) they act Also, you could tell them your cleansing your body at the moment and can't drink... actually that would be true... or tell them you get really sick when you drink now -- also true, we ARE really sick when we drink!
Anyway, don't worry, watch yourself and have fun.

PR -- Welcome to day 3! You're doing awesome! Sorry you're a bit down though... this too shall pass

LI - Glad you get to see your therapist today.... hope you two 'click' and it works out!

Piotr.... on Day 7 ---- WHOHOOOOO! I'm quite sure you'll get through today to round a your first week!

SL - I try to be positive... there's been so much yucky stuff in my life that sometimes it does weigh me down and I do actually get depressed, but you guys and church and the rest of SR really have helped pull me out of that.... so my thanks is to all of you. See, you have the right idea on the 'cleanse'... we ARE cleansing our bodies... and minds.... and....

Have a great day and evening all.... I'll be gone all day -- huge flea market, then maybe going to a jeep parade in PA with my jeep

Let's all stay sober this lovely Friday -- just for today..... We can make this happen, together!! I'm SURE of it!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeespoons View Post
Finishing up day 15!
Also, champagne toast? I think I'm going to take the tiiiiniest sip possible, if at all. Should I spit it out after? Is that going too far?
CS, good job on 15 days, that is great! I just wanted to encourage you not to take a sip of champagne or even put it to your mouth. Just raise a glass, any glass, and there's your toast.

In May, I had 3 weeks sober until I went to a wedding. It was the champagne toast that lead to me drinking wine all evening.

Have a great time and enjoy the wedding!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Hey all. I messed up yesterday. Last night specifically.

I went to a meeting and really liked it. Kind of felt a connection with a few people but not with any of the women. There were only 3 of them and a connection wasn't there. But after it was over one of them gave me the names and numbers of 4 women. 3 of them weren't even at the meeting.

I don't know what I'm trying to say but it was like after the meeting was over I felt alone. I'm not sure what to think about my BIL. He checks on me and stuff but for some reason doesn't seem like he's interested in talking to me about all of this. I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that I have had such a hard time talking to him at all. I've just been too emotional or it wasn't a time where I could talk.

SO I guess I used all this stupid stuff as an excuse to go buy wine. Dumb I know. I want to go to a different meeting but I'm worried that my husband may already be getting tired of it. I've only been to 2 meetings but when I wanted to go last night he just seemed like he was irked that I wanted to go again.

I just feel so lost and alone.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!!

Thought I'd check in and celebrate day 7 with you all. I have had some issues with feeling a little down in the dumps, but it passes and I am back to "static" or "normal".

Today I am grateful for you all (as always) and I believe SR is my new urge and craving. I have been reading many posts and I feel for everyone here. The little voice tries to convince me still - especially on my way home from work. I just tell it "you must be mistaken, I don't drink". It's working!

I sure don't miss the headaches, abdominal pains (like my vital organs are trying to escape me!), forgetting what happened the night before...etc.

Again, I am so thankful for SR and everyone here. I know a higher power led me here - I can't really talk about my alcoholism with anyone other than you guys - my hubby, of course, but he is still fully in the grip of the disease. I have a 19 year old son and 23 year old daughter in the house too, they are proud of me, but I don't really celebrate in front of them yet...I want to make sure I have beaten this for good - which, in my heart, I feel I have.

All the best to all of you and stay strong. Here's wishing everyone a peaceful sober Friday and weekend. I know the weekends are tough for most of us...But WE CAN DO THIS...together. Much Love!!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Hi Cleareyes - you are not alone here!! Anything you truly want must be worth fighting for. You can do this, I firmly believe it. We all can. All the best to you.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!
Another day 1 but I wont give up. Im worried about the weekend but also just need to focus on getting thru today. I'll have to hop on here later when I get home from work..

Sindyluhu- When I scrolled down this page I saw your user pic thing... I love motley crue and Nikki Sixx!! Motley Crue is def my fav band,. Theyre playing at sunset strip music fest next sat but not sure if I want to surround myself around that much drinking yet.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Talking

Hello everyone! I am pretty new here. Now on my 3rd day of sobriety!!! :bounce
And so far I am really proud of myself and feeling really good. The first time I got sober, I lasted 9 days, then had a terrible relapse on what would have been my father's birthday. That evening I don't even remember, all I know is the next day I was in so much pain and never wanted to go thru that again!!! I have been an alchoholic for about 2 years, started out as a couple after a stressful day at work and turned into me being drunk by 7pm. Also was hiding my liquor from my boyfriend and "thinking" I was getting drunk without him noticing...now I see it was pretty noticable. Sleeping has been the big hurdle for me, but I will take benadryl to help me get sleepy sometimes. I am truely inspired by alot of the posts I read on here and it has helped me from taking that first drink!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Lovely Disaster- Welcome and congrats on Day 3!

ClearEyes- I too have attempted to fill the void of lonliness with drinking, never worked though. In the end I always felt worse. I am sorry you are feeling so alone. I don't have a lot of support from family, but when I come to SR I realize I am not alone in this and that there are many people who I can relate to and people who understand what I am going through.

PrayForStrength- Congrats on Day 7. I too don't miss any of the headaches etc. I look at it as a reason fom me to stay away from this poison.

BoozeFree- I too am worrying about the weekend. I agree with you, I need to focus on today. Glad that you're not giving up.

Day 4 for me, my mood is better for now. I wish everybody a good, sober Friday.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Good morning everyone!
Another day 1 but I wont give up. Im worried about the weekend but also just need to focus on getting thru today. I'll have to hop on here later when I get home from work..

Sindyluhu- When I scrolled down this page I saw your user pic thing... I love motley crue and Nikki Sixx!! Motley Crue is def my fav band,. Theyre playing at sunset strip music fest next sat but not sure if I want to surround myself around that much drinking yet.

Yeah, I'm a Sixxtard!

Missed the Crue in Youngstown last month...going to a Crue concert sober is an an oxymoron.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I want to join. I'd like to be an Augustite

hopefully it continues and I don't have to wait for the Sept. thread to start.........sigh.

here i go......again.....

congrats to all above for your clean days!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

LovelyDisaster-Welcome! I am also on Day 3!
So I am feeling pretty good, strong, no cravings to drink at the moment, but I have been here a million times before and then drank, so i am being cautiously optimistic. I started therapy yesterday. It felt awkward and a little painful to talk about myself for an hour. Definatly wanted to have a drink afterwards, however, i took an antabuse yesterday so drinking was not an option. But still, the cravings were intense yesterday. I got really witchy last night with my b/f and finally I "I AM SOBER" like that excused my attitude, and that he should get down and kiss my feet. LOL. He just looked at me and said, "ya, your sober but you are still snapping at me". You know, all those times i ranted and screamed horrible horrible things to him while drunk, I mostly dont remember thanks to the blackouts, and he says about that "you may not remember, but I cant forget" OUCH! Its so true. All the things i said and did while in a blackout are nothing but a vague memory to me, but not to him. Our relationship will never be the same. I get so sad about that, because it was me, my drinking, that did that. And if I dwell on that fact enough it makes me want to drink. I hate this. I just hate this.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Good afternoon everybody.I was out at the lake helping a friend clean up after a pic-nic it was so hot so she says "theres lots of left over booze ,why don't you have one of those little fruit coolers?'I was soooo tempted but I had visions of me finishing the day in a stupor and a repeat of last weekend,,, I didn't want to report in here that I had blown it so here I am..... drank about three bottles of water and stopped at a little beauty spot I had always wanted to look at and bought a caramel Ice cream now I'm going for a nap luv all of ya
Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

hml...Way to go!!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to all the newcomers and those returning

Maybe you need to find another mentor Cleareyes?

Maybe another person would be a little more removed than a relative might be and have a fresh perspective - and you may feel freer to speak openly with them?

The fact is getting sober is hard - we need to have a support structure in place and use it.

The old standby of reaching for the bottle is a really disastrous choice for any of us - it has to go.

D
Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Ok guys aint checked in for a few days,i was sober monday and tuesday and then i had relatives come and visit and stay with us.....I fell off the waggon but im determined to get back on it tomorow....I have let myself down again and also you guys...Im so sorry....
Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that Stevie, but I'm glad you're back with us - and you didn't let me down - been there done that myself....

D
Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Welcome LD and K33! Glad you're here

Stevie... you stayed sober for two days, right? You didn't drink. So, let's make to three this time.... or more No let-downs here... no failures here.... as long as we get back up and try again.

HML - Ice cream trumps alcohol every time funny how that works!!

BF - Glad you up and at it once more. I firmly believe that one of these times it will stick for you, for me and for us all.

I'm exhausted right now. Huge flea market and then drove to PA to watch a bunch of jeeps in a parade. Just got home a little bit ago... need some tea and then I have got to hit the sack. Day 12 almost to a close.... Be strong my friends - and if you can't be lean on someone who can be....
Old 08-13-2011, 01:26 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

...starting day 10...days can be hard sometimes, sometimes I feel so tempted...but waking sober, being further and further from day 1 and hope that sobriety is bringing back - PRICELESS

Hugs to all, stay strong!

MB

MB
Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Day 8

Starting to sleep better, butstill woke up tired. Went for a long walk - no sun just clouds, now when I came back the sun has come out.

Going to an AA meeting in the afternoon and if it isnot raining again a rugby matchin the evening.

Keep sober everyone.