Notices

I'm confused.....

Old 05-30-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm confused.....

Hi everyone...I'm confused and abit taken a back by some of the posts here...from some members....and slightly offended....
I am taking my recovery very very seriously....and it really upsets me when I read that "you won't recover just through abstinence...I am now 125 days sober....have not been to an AA meeting, or rehab, or anything...I believe in God, I go to church..but I choose not to attend any meetings or such....so does that mean in some peoples eyes that Im just abstaining??? and that my road is doomed to fail??? sometimes when I post, I almost feel like I have to edit what I say... maybe I've come to the wrong place...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

if you can stay sober and find happiness by not drinking and getting involved in church,I say that is great!I wish you the best and I hope you continue to come back and stay with us.You can certainly help others with your experience here...hope you have a great day!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

we all do what works for us. the only right way is the one that keeps you from taking the first drink. this forum is doing more for me than meetings at the moment and some would say i'm doomed to fail... one week today. that's a success in my world.
I'm proud of you. Keep doing what you're doing... it's obviously working.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just say what you want, its a forum...as long as people share on their real life experiences its all gold! It would kind of suck a bit here if all everyone did was say 'You can do it, keep on trying' whilst the poor sods relapsing keep on doing the same thing over and over again...i know i was one of them all you have to do is check my posts early to middle last year...and yeah i was totally offended by those wankers at AA telling me i was dry when i didnt drink for 5 months...but i couldnt beat them so i joined them and what they promised came true...whatever floats your boat i guess!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I can relate to what you're saying and I'm sure you will be helping others by posting what you have posted.

It can get a touch Pious at times. However if you're genuinely feeling good and happy to be sober then that's all that matters.

What I came to realise was that my sobriety was what matters to me. I firstly got demoralised by recovery and went back drinking again. I am sure this happens, particularly with younger people who go to AA for the first time. The my way or the highway is all well and good, but it ultimately can demoralise and depress, particualrly younger people trying to get sober. It can seem far too distant from the realities of the chemical and binge-drinking culture of the modern generation. Certainly in the UK I feel. I always try to share to newcomers in a way that is going to try to give them hope to see the benefit in recovery rather than pushing them away into another drink neever to return back again. But then again I can only share my experience.

However you have to remember that ultimately people mean well. I am so grateful for SR as without SR and the people who post/read here I wouldn't be sober now.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If you're sober and happy about it then great. How you get that is your choice. Take what you want and leave the rest. A great philosophy which has helped me. Also as you grow in your recovery you will start to realise that the stuff that you found offensive you begin to understand where they were coming from... But then other stuff you wont. That's how it rolls. Just like life in general.

Just make sure that in your times of need you are never afraid to post!! I cannot stress that strongly enough. The people who may not post will be reaching out through different means (sponsors/other AA'ers) so they will still be doing it but you won't see it.

Keep posting.

Peace
Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you are sober you must be doing something right!

Right there in our AA book it says we do not have a monopoly on recovery, so the "evangelical" AAers you have run into are not even following our literature. You might keep in mind that they just want to help.

If you are a strong Christian, you might want to check out celebrate recovery, a Christ-based approach to the 12 steps.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please don't edit what you say . The differences in opinion make SR a great place and show that there isn't just one path to recovery. Everyone has to find their own way. As for the people who would rather dictate to people than offer suggestions...they exist in every community. I personally separate the message from the person and see if it has value, but earplugs work just as well. If you're 125 days sober, you're doing something right. Keep it up.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

For the most part I find the people here at SR mean well. Wile there are others here, like everywhere else where people gather, there is bound to be a conflict of opinions. As long people abide by the SR rules, Ive taken the attitude of 'to each their own' and let it be.

What helps me is the more I concentrate on my personalized addiction treatment plan the less I am distracted by the disagreeable opinions of others.

If your doing what helps you the most loveon2legs...then I'm glad for you. Keep going forward in your recovery.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on 125 days Loveon2Legs!!

I too have not been to AA, although I haven't ruled it out. I'm at 40+ days and feel I am doing ok for now. I may consider AA or something similar in the future.

I have had tons of support from many people on SR.

Anyway...whatever works for you keep doin it! You're doin great...keep it up!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! haven't you done well? (I'm not being sarcastic) If abstaining works for you, why should anybody judge?

Keep going how you are and you can thumb your nose at everyone.

Well done and good luck
Old 05-30-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FREEBIRD!

Congratulations on your 125 days of sobriety in a row my friend!

There are many different roads to the same destination.

As long as I keep learning about my self, my peace and serenity has seemed to grow over the years.

I hope the same for you.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

it really upsets me when I read that "you won't recover just through abstinence."
I understand where you're coming from and agree that such posts are a little much for someone just getting sober. (For those already working the program, I don't see a problem with it). I think it's just a matter of sensitivity, but I'm probably overly sensitive anyway! I just know that when I first came here I was scared and suffering, and I needed encouragement and understanding (which I got a ton of!).

I'm not currently attending AA but have been to hundreds of meetings in the past. I use some of the tools of AA and not others. The basics of AA are the foundation for most recovery programs: Admit we have a problem, can't fix it alone, and reach out for help. Daily communication with other alcoholics in sobriety is necessary for me, and SR works beautifully for that!!
Old 05-30-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Loveon2, it's kind of funny you asked that, because (coincidence!) I was asking the same thing in the last day or two, and I got some kind feedback on essentially the same question.

Since this site is a tool for us, it's possible that we let ourselves become discouraged by certain posts at certain intervals. What we read has an impact on us, and sometimes it can be taken negatively.

I think that I am doing something right. (I am between 6 and 7 months.) I also ponder whether I am doing enough. To me, simply asking yourself that question is a sign of something good.

In my experience, I have not dealt with the urge to drink to the extent that I get my shoes on and make my way out the door to go get some, and I'm grateful for that and glad that is how it is now. Thoughts about drinking creep in though. And then I think to myself that one of these people I have been acknowledging for having quit very recently might be the one giving ME an empathetic read or reply in the future if I did drink again. So I take the "daily reprieve" idea seriously.

I think I am different from how I was, but I am still studying whether I am different enough. (How "recovered" am I? Did I even start?) When I read a post that sounds like a message that I am not bound for a good outcome without actively using AA, I need to remember the times that a person using AA did not send that message and said something different. There are also people within AA in disagreement over specific topics that come up. I also need to remember the topics that seem to stir up the dander here every month or two, for different people:

- AA vs not AA
- definition of "real" alcoholic
- alcoholism as a "disease" or something else
- "This whole higher power thing makes me edgy" or "they're pushy in AA"
- disagreement on how to approach someone who has not stopped or who has gone back to drinking

There are probably others to add to that list. Through a lot of the conversations, I have had times when I felt negative and asked myself whether I was supposedly being merely dry and abstaining and not on a genuine road of recovery. And I also questioned whether I should continue to use the site. I still use it because I think it does me some good and it's important to me to be involved in someone else's turnabout/quitting/hope. Even though I haven't gone back to AA at this point, I think it has an impact on me in my work on myself. I do include it in my own way, and it matters to me. If I can say that, and if I am not drinking today, then I am doing something right to some extent. Maybe I shouldn't overthink it on some days.

You had your long weekend in the wine country of British Columbia and made it through without returning to drinking. That is an example of doing something right that must be meaningful to you. (I don't mean by selecting the same destination as in the drinking past, but by getting through it with whatever has been working for you, in spite of the danger, and maybe you won't choose that option again.)

I'll probably be discouraged or go through some of this questioning again, just as the memory of drinking will come up again, but I should take another careful look when that happens. Maybe I exert too much energy worrying about it.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
Hi everyone...I'm confused and abit taken a back by some of the posts here...from some members....and slightly offended....
I am taking my recovery very very seriously....and it really upsets me when I read that "you won't recover just through abstinence...I am now 125 days sober....have not been to an AA meeting, or rehab, or anything...I believe in God, I go to church..but I choose not to attend any meetings or such....so does that mean in some peoples eyes that Im just abstaining??? and that my road is doomed to fail??? sometimes when I post, I almost feel like I have to edit what I say... maybe I've come to the wrong place...
Hi Loveon2legs,

This is a forum open to all. In fact those sharing the 12 Step solution of AA are actually in the minority on this particular Newcomers forum - I share that because it was shared to me and it was the only thing which saved my life.

But there are plenty of other people sharing all sorts of methods of recovery here. You seem to be very happy in your recovery. Keep sharing it - no doubt it helps you to share, as it helps others to read it. Not only is it helpful and supportive, it may just save lives.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((Loveon2legs)))

I say I'm in "recovery" because of the way I live. I don't just abstain..I've changed the way I think, the way I react to people/things, etc. Though, like ((Artsoul)), I don't currently go to AA, I did go for a few months and I use what I learned there. That doesn't mean you can't find "recovery" without it.

I've got over 3 years...my faith in God (HP), SR, some great friends (mostly from here) but a few f2f are what has helped me most. If that stops working, I have no problem going to a meeting or whatever I need to do to stay IN recovery, because it's the most important thing in my life. What I found, when I was new here, is the more people "saw" me, working through things, dealing with "life stuff" and not getting high, reaching out to others, the less I heard about how I was "not in recovery"...my actions spoke for me. When AA/NA WAS suggested, I simply thanked them. If it was said in a way that indicated I wasn't in recovery...I ignored it. I knew I was...and that's all that matters.

125 days is GREAT...congratulations!! You've obviously seen a lot of changes, but you're going to see a lot more. My life has had it's ups and downs, the past 3 years, but it is WAY better seeing it through the eyes of a very grateful recovering A!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The message does come off a bit harsh sometimes. Do'nt let it get you down. As long as you're staying sober and happy with it you must be 'doing it right'. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey loveon2legs

I haven't always agreed with everything I've seen posted on SR either, but I know it's almost always coming from a place of care and concern.

When I say 'just not drinking is not enough' here I'm not a member of any group - thats my direct personal experience...

I had to work on myself as much as I did on the not drinking, if not more so.

If church does that for you, and it seems from your post that it does, then so much the better

Congrats on your 125 days
D
Old 05-30-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wink

Some think that one size fits all when it comes to being sober. There's only one way, & it's THEIRS. Don't you believe it! Abstaining is just fine, thank you. I go to church too, & a lot of people scoff at that-let them. don't let them discourage or confuse you. It's whatever WORKS FOR YOU.
125 days are fanastic-keep it up!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just be true to yourself. It doesn't matter what others think.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
125 Days Tells Me You Are Doing Something Right.. Big Time! Congrats..