Notices

I'm a mom ...and so proud of you all

Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a mom ...and so proud of you all

I come by to visit the recovery threads although the Friends & Family is where I normally hang out. I love to visit here though, too, because you all give me hope when I read about your recoveries or even your EFFORTS to recover!

My 19 year old son is a drug addict and we had to "let him go" a few weeks ago to find his own way. It hurts. A lot.

So I come here and am so heartened to hear your stories.... so very proud of ALL of you for finding the courage to change. It is heartbreaking to read about all the pain you've been through and sometimes still struggle with. I can't imagine how difficult it must be.

SR is a warm & wonderful place and I'm glad you're all here.

I'm a mom and I'm proud of you. I'll bet your mom is, too. We only want you to be happy. XOXO

:ghug3
Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Thank you for the 'visit'

By the time I was 'done', I had run everyone that mattered to me out of my life, never to return. You are doing what's best for your kiddo, even though it hurts right now. I hope that your son fins his way thru this safely, and better for it. I'm thankful that you're able to see there IS some hope..

I can't imagine how difficult it is for you..but really glad you have the support here.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

thanks mom.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

tjp613 - That was really nice to hear. Unfortunately, my mom was beyond judgmental and disgusted with me. She really didn't try to understand alcoholism & I believe she saw it as a character flaw. Things will never be the same between us, and we are both much older than you and your son.

Thank you for the support, and I pray things will turn around for your son.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you even though I'm probably older than you
My Mum died a very long time ago and never saw her daughter grow up and get the same disease as her husband (my Dad).
If she was alive, maybe she could have saved me - I don't know and I never will.
Here's a big thank you back to all the Mum's like you.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Thank you, that honestly means a lot and made me tear up. My mother is not part of my life due to how emotionally abusive she was to me growing up and then started being to my children as they came along. Having a mom say she is proud really did my heart good today. I hope your son comes around soon. ((((Hugs))))
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi tjp,

It must hurt lots to do have to do, what you have to do.
I am a mom myself and just the thought makes me feel uneasy in the stomach. I hope your son will find his way out and wish you heaps of strength.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yer, I was having this chat with a lady at AA on Saturday. There is no pride in drug/alcohol abuse but a devilish high and buzz. Incredibly powerfull and very difficult to give up. It can only really be given up when the person is ready and truly wants to actually give up. That is the difficult thing and what must make it very difficult for loved-ones.

Recovery/sobriety is completely the opposite and filled with positive 'nice' warm feelings of contentment and peace of mind. It is very different to active alcoholism/addiciton and the lifestyle. But it is most definately worth it.

I am glad that I drank alcoholically and took lots of drugs. I can appreciate the little things in life now after nearly having evrything taken away (losing it).

Grateful to be a recovering alcoholic.

Increase The Peace x
Old 06-01-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Awww, thanks mom!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Thanks mom! It takes a lot of courage to let your child go like you have, but enabling them only prolongs addiction. Nice work and thanks again for the kind words.