Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 8

Old 07-30-2022, 06:18 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2, SS. It’s good to hear the determination is back, too. Very grateful for that.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:59 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

This was breakfast I made for us today.

Agree, good nutrition and hydrate with water. Hypotonic is the scientific name to the properties of liquids with low osmolality. Pop/soda, Gatorade, lemonade, etc., are actually HYPER tonic, and actually can make you MORE dehydrated.

Much love to ALL my class.

Thought the breakfast photo was a nicer pic to share than healing scars. YES, those waffles are homemade.

🤓❤️

Old 07-31-2022, 03:57 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good morning! Breakfast looks good, Lynn. I did a 20 hour fast yesterday and I’m zooming today. I might even have breakfast…

I picked up The Lost Weekend and started it, it’s already got me hooked, SS.

LHW, I agree you cannot lie about your results, I just meant you should feel able to move about the cabin more freely, so to speak. Close friends who have concerns would need to be handled individually, of course.

Wishing you all a special Sunday- my project is to bake something with blueberries in it, then catch some time outside. Pics of my trip to the sunflower farm yesterday later!

Old 07-31-2022, 05:06 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

SS, so glad that you made it through that rough first day and are determined to get back on track. My reset was much tougher this last time but, after about 10 days, I felt that I had regained some footing. I hope that you are enjoying your coffee this morning and listening to some comforting music. Like Keith Jarrett, right?

Lynn, yum! Going out for breakfast. That settles it.

Lisa, good luck with your baking project. I have some blueberries that are about to go bad, so they're going into the blender later, along with anything else in the fridge that is about to turn. Blueberry, kale, strawberry, banana smoothie anyone? 20 hours without food. The heck you say! Looking forward to the pics. I'm right next door to the Sunflower State, so they grow pretty high around these parts. There is a house a couple of blocks from here that has a front yard that is basically all sunflowers. Unusual is about the best I can say for it.

I hope that everyone has a good day. Mostly chores more me today.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:21 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Good morning! That breakfast looks so good. It’s inspired me to make something delicious for breakfast.

SS congrats on day 2!

LHW, so sorry to hear of all the health concerns. That is a lot on your plate.

My husband comes home today. I’m looking forward to seeing him. This weekend by myself was really lovely and I’m really seeing my progress towards self love.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:12 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Oh my, Free, that breakfast looks delicious! Your presentation is very nice! I like the fruit on the waffles, etc. Eating the bacon would be enough for me. Can't seem to eat much in the mornings.

Viking - I apologize...I knew what you meant about isolation and moving about. My response didn't come out right on my previous post. I know you were not inferring that I lie about the test results. Brain fog is real!!!! We are not isolating per se, just meant we feel isolated since we are not doing things with friends that we would normally be doing. Often our social lives are so busy we are begging for time alone so it's unusual for it to be just the two of us for us long. But I must say, we are starting to like it a lot. Otherwise, we do move about the cabin freely!

SS - I also picked up The Lost Weekend and like Viking, am already very much into it! Thank you for suggesting it. I hope you are feeling better today.

CP - Mr. LHW makes us smoothies all the time. Blueberries and bananas with a cup of Oat milk and a scoop of protein powder seem to be the favorites around here. He does throw in some spinach once in awhile but I prefer the pure fruit ones.

Bodhi - nice you enjoyed your solo weekend and glad you are moving ahead in your journey towards self love.

I just had some cereal and am going to go get a long walk in. Mr. LHW is out staying in shape with his buddies so he will be out until around lunchtime. I think I will prep the salad and sides for our dinner tonight when I get back so that is out of the way.

Everyone enjoy your Sunday!

LHW

Old 07-31-2022, 07:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Ahhhh, great active class…..love you ALL

James, a smoothie please. Leave out the green stuff 🤢🤮
Bodhi, glad hubby is coming back.
Even though I’m thin, I love to eat, Lisa. 20 hours? OMG
Old 07-31-2022, 10:10 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I just realized that tomorrow there is going to be a new Class of August thread- 2022!!! Nice work, my friends. Our class is a year old tomorrow. Learning to walk again, as my boy Dave Grohl would say.

Peace to all.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:27 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Bodhi- I'm so glad you enjoyed your alone time! That's significant- don't forget to ask for some if you need it going forward.

20 hours was mostly by accident- it's usually only 18. It was a good jolt though- feeling good today and it's time to eat!!!

I'm doing the chores today too, James- didn't do any yesterday. So wait- a yard full of sunflowers is NOT awesome??? I was enthralled.

Have a great day, LHW- good to see you! I watched The Lost Weekend on Prime this AM- it was fantastic. Obviously written by someone who has been through it, which he had been according to the info I found. Great recommendation, SS, I'm adding the book to my "go to" library. I'm about 1/4 through it so far. It will be interesting to see how different it is from the movie, although the author was involved in the screenplay.

Old 07-31-2022, 11:55 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 3. Still really struggling. Last year I was back in the gym on Day 2 but this year while I was only drinking for 2 weeks, it was far more heavily and all day. I am also dealing with the worst heartbreak of my life. Right now it's hard to think of anything else, especially when I'm trying to sleep.

I don't think the particulars of the relationship is something I should get into now, but I was sober for 11 months and the relationship was also at the daily center of my life for 5 months. Dealing with the loss of both simultaneously is excruciating beyond words. I lay there in the dark, or in the dawn's surly light, tossing and turning and unable to change my thoughts, something I'd worked very hard on. This morning I finally fell into a some quarter-sleep after dawn for a few hours and when I woke, I was both sweating and shivering. "You'll always have a special place in my heart," she had said. It sticks in my heart like a poisoned dagger.

When I try to eat, the food sticks in my throat and I almost retch. I've lost 10 pounds in 10 days. Just 15 days ago, I was in the best shape of my adult life.

I read this and it sounds so awful, so maudlin. But it's where I am right now, and I'm hanging on for dear life. That includes being here and posting.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:03 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Testing uploading a pic of the famous "Bean" in Chicago.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:09 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Yay! It worked!!!!!!!!

The Bean is formally known as "Cloud Gate" and is one of Chicago's most popular sights!!!!! It is located in Millenium Park. It's made entirely of stainless steel. You are allowed to go up to it and touch it and so can see your own reflection in the "bean". The reflection of the sky above the park inspired to sculptor to formally name it "Cloud Gate". Definitely a must see when in Chicago.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Been there a gazzilion times, LHW after serving 25 YEARS of my life in IL. We would take all our visitors there. Cool place, or it used to be, too scary now.

SS, I can imagine what you went through. My stepson sent thousands of dollars to a Fillipino he met on a dating site. Then he bought a wedding set and planned to go see her, but exit his business and enter ours as kidnapping of Americans is huge in the islands south of Cebu.

Through the help of an SR friend, got connected to WYMOO, a private investigator company that does international investigations. We had her checked out before he was possibly killed. Turns it was ok. Son said, “there are no red flags” when we said we need to investigate her. I said, “the red flag is she accepted your money”.

My heart hurts for you if this is similar to your heartbreak.

Really glad you are here, I know it’s tough each time, TOUGHER as you said.

Big hugs.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:47 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

SS, one hour at a time is the speed limit right now, you’ll be back up and running soon. I know it’s hard- my last breakup did me in and you are fortunate to be back in 2 weeks- keep going. Sober first, then process the rest. Stay here, stay strong.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:17 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
I just realized that tomorrow there is going to be a new Class of August thread- 2022!!! Nice work, my friends. Our class is a year old tomorrow. Learning to walk again, as my boy Dave Grohl would say.

Peace to all.
I just went back and looked at the very beginning of the August 2021 thread and Lynn called "shotgun" almost exactly one year ago today, to the minute. Does it seem longer or shorter to you guys? It seems longer to me. I feel like I have known you guys much longer.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:21 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

LHW, you did a beautiful job uploading that photo. I have a picture of my son in front of the Bean when we went to Chicago a few years ago. That's such an original piece of art. Great photo!
Old 07-31-2022, 05:38 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

SS, the fact that you came back here so quickly is important. Once you get the poison completely out of your system, I'll bet that your workout routine can get back on track quickly as well. Two weeks isn't that long from a fitness perspective, even at our age.

The heartache is going to take longer and I hope that you can find some distractions to take your mind off of it. Maybe listen to some interesting podcasts when you're laying in bed in the dark. Anything to keep you from going to the dark places.

Just stay close. This group helped me through my hiatus and I'm finally feeling back to my old self. I never truly realized how important the support of others is to our sobriety. And happiness, in general.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:44 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bodhi02 View Post

My husband comes home today. I’m looking forward to seeing him. This weekend by myself was really lovely and I’m really seeing my progress towards self love.
This is so great to hear Bodhi. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, right? And the progress that you are making towards self love will only make your shared love that much stronger. Couldn't be happier for you!
Old 08-01-2022, 06:09 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning folks!

Trying another time at golf today! The other day terrible.

Great drive up Coffee pot road, and was able to tell hubby how his driving affected my neck fusion.

Heres a pic:

Old 08-01-2022, 06:24 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Seriously Lynn, I'm about to fuel up my car and head west. Those pictures are beautiful! Your driving comment made me laugh. My ex-wife never truly appreciated my driving skills either. Is the road really called Coffee Pot Road? Sounds like you wouldn't want to be drinking your coffee while your husband was at the wheel!