Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 7

Old 06-20-2022, 03:07 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Quick check in. We have a very busy two weeks coming up. Will be away 3 nights this week (graduation) and 5 nights the next week (destination wedding). Just trying to get stuff ready to leave here and then come back and regroup and leave again. I love to travel, but not like this.

CP - I doubt I will make tonight's online meeting as Mr. LHW is still out playing golf and due to arrive home just around the time it starts. We will fix dinner as soon as he gets home as it's later than normal for us. Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy it! It's been a little while since I dialed in to that one.

LHW

Old 06-21-2022, 04:53 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

The online meeting was enjoyable last night. I even stayed after for their virtual coffee shop, where I was able to introduce myself and tell a little bit of my story. Big step for me. Very welcoming group. I'm glad that I did it and plan to go back on Wednesday. If I'm truly going to change and evolve, I have to step outside my comfort zone and be a part of something, rather than always on the outside, looking in. Time will tell if this is the right group for me, but I will give it an honest effort.

I have to share the little 'day counter' mechanism that I set up for myself. I have a bowl sitting on my dresser with assorted loose change and my favorite copper mug sitting next to it. Each night that I go to bed sober, I take a penny from the bowl and drop it in the mug. A relapse would mean that the mug is emptied and I start all over. Last night saw me replace the four pennies with a nickel, signifying the end of Day 5. So there we go. A little silly, yes, but kind of satisfying to climb in bed after dropping that coin in the mug. Whatever works, right? One day at a time. Eyeballing the dime, which would signify my longest streak since I left you guys back in October. Then the dollar, which would be my longest streak since 2014. And onward and upward from there. I'm not going to get ahead of myself. Just do the work.

Wishing all of you a good day.

James
Old 06-21-2022, 05:44 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

I like that, James. I use the app Streaks…..it’s helpful. Also kudos for online meeting. I e never done that.

LHW, are you putting sobriety on hold while you do all your stuff, or are you managing ok? It’s hard in the early days to be confident enough to care for ourselves. There’s never a better time than NOW to not drink.

Lots of love and hugs, on our way back home and get a yellow fever and typhoid shot on the way.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:06 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Free - I am managing okay so far! It’s a struggle sometimes but I am managing. I am trying all kinds of different tools.

CP - glad you liked the meeting! Don’t forget to check out the other meetings which can be found by clicking on the “more Zoom meetings” link at the top of the home page.

LHW
Old 06-21-2022, 07:56 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Hi all!

LHW- you got this!!

CP- glad to hear you’re opening up at the meetings. That was hard for me too and was exactly what I needed.

The trip to Cape May was a blast. There was little to no temptations to drink. The weather was nice - a bit windy so the beach wasn’t very relaxing but we biked a lot and hung out by the pool. We spent some time with my cousin who I haven’t seen since before the pandemic so that was fun. It was a really lovely trip and I wish I was still there 😩

Old 06-21-2022, 12:06 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Great making that through sober, Bodhi

LHW, good for you too!

James, hang in there, just get that first 90 in, ODAAT
Old 06-21-2022, 07:31 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Great job to all! Good work, everybody. Happy sober summer.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:38 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Bodhi. I wasn't familiar with Cape May, so I did some Googling this morning. Looks like a beautiful area. I love places that you can tour via bicycle. I'm going to recommend this to my NYC daughter as a future vacation destination. Glad you enjoyed your stay, and reconnecting with your cousin.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:06 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Bodhi - I love Cape May! The beach is so nice. We just went down to Wildwood Crest for the day a few weeks ago. It's nice being within a few hours drive of all these beaches. Have you ever been to any of the North Jersey beaches like Sea Girt, Long Beach Island or Spring Lake? Also very nice.

Well, we are all packed and ready to hit the road for the graduation. Will take us about 6 hours or so depending on traffic. Will be a very quick trip as we will be driving back home early Friday morning. Mr. LHW's children and their spouses are meeting us for a late Father's Day dinner on Friday night.

Everyone have a great day!

LHW
Old 06-22-2022, 06:30 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Wonderful adventures!

Off to lead a hike this morning.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:02 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Safe travels LHW! Enjoy your hike Lynn.

Daughter is heading over with the three kids and granddaughter is spending the night. Will be checking in as time allows. 6 cents in the sobriety mug this morning. Onward and upward!
Old 06-22-2022, 01:06 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Well, a coworker, whom I adore, lost her son a few days ago- no one quite knows what happened, and that is not important anyway, but I feel when that is the case it is so often addiction, and my heart is just broken for her. He was 29 or so. What the heck does one write in the card the boss slaps on the counter? Sorry just doesn't seem enough and anything else just feels so hollow. My poor friend. I can't even imagine.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:44 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry for your friends loss VGF - terrible.

D
Old 06-22-2022, 07:17 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

“I can’t imagine your pain and sorrow right now. I don’t know what to say, because words don’t seem to be meaningful enough for such a tragedy.” “You and your family are in my thoughts today and always….., Lisa”
Old 06-22-2022, 07:49 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

I KNEW you’d have the right thing to say, Lynn. Thank you.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:45 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I’m sorry for your friend, Viking. What a shame.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:54 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear this Lisa. I can't imagine anything as horrible as losing a child or a grandchild. I know that you'll find the right words to say, in the right format, and at the right time. You've proven that time and time again on here. I'm so, so sorry for your friend.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:02 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Popping on real quick this morning as the munchkin sleeps. Now that papa is out of the bed, she'll be emerging from the bedroom shortly demanding to be held. One of my favorite activities.

Lynn, I caught wind of your upcoming New Zealand trip on another thread. You must share. How does one go about on a cruise to New Zealand? Where does it take off from? How many days. Wow. Just wow.

Full play day ahead of me. Will check in later. Feeling much better these days. So grateful for all of you.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:59 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Lisa, glad I could give you a base with which to start your condolences. It’s hard when the situation is so tragic.

James, you have such a great attitude, what a dad and grandad you are!

The trip is through Viking, and it’s 15 days without adding pre and post trips. We are doing a pre trip to Auckland and plan to do some heavy duty hiking before stuffing ourselves on the trip. I am truly blessed, I’ve wanted to go ever since I met a professor at UMKC YEARS ago, and he told our class the different climate zones all in one country. We will also hop over to Australia

Old 06-23-2022, 06:01 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Two hikers injured yesterday, so despite asking the group NOT to make Dr Hubby and I think of our medical skills, they were needed on three occasions. I had to donate my skin cancer gloves for added pressure to a large blunt impact wound. It worked, and it was worth it.

Pics on morning gratitude thread