Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 7

Old 06-30-2022, 06:51 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Wow, Bodhi, that’s a LOT to go through!

So glad you are ok, and as Viking said, the body will protect a viable embryo…….

Such a roller coaster ride 🎢🎡

Glad you aren’t poisoning yourself with alcohol to deal with the stress, it wouldn’t, and I’m sure the doctors are happy you don’t drink at all.

Thanks for popping in, and we know you have our backs, and we understand you are dealing with a lot.

Hope the repair people can get the smell out soon.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:02 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Hey Bodhi, I hope that you slept better last night. Sorry to hear about the troubles at your townhouse and I hope that the repairs aren't too much of a nuisance. Hopefully your neighbor comes to her senses and gives you an explanation and an apology. You guys are owed that, for sure. On a brighter note, July 11 is right around the corner. I'm so excited for you. And it's great to hear that you are settling into your new job responsibilities. Always good to hear from you Bodhi.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:44 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Quick check-in and then I need to go accomplish something. Yesterday was yucky, for lack of a better word. Too much laying around. Too much time online, including SR. Finding a balance has always been difficult for me. All or nothing. Black or white. Discipline, discipline, discipline.

All good on the drinking front though, which is Job 1. Today is Day 16. I hope that you guys have a good day.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:48 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Yay James, day 16!

Man, my last day 16 was a slog to get to. I felt like crap, really. Thoughts of drinking popping up about every minute or two, 24/7. It’s exhausting.

There are day, or late at night, or whenever, I find myself on SR. Sometimes it seems I do t get much done, because of that.

But you know what? You ARE getting something done. You are retraining your brain, and your are enveloping yourself in a great community.

New tools, and some days we use some more than others, and the changes are subtle, but real.

Im glad you are staying close.

You are doing great, and I feel you are really ready, ready this time, even though the path is unknown.

Remember my old Avatar?

Choose your own path. You are, and I like the direction I see you going.

Big hugs,

Lynn

Old 07-01-2022, 07:49 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

I’m off to an adventure, so will be spottily checking on.

Love you all,

Big hugs,

🤓❤️🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Old 07-01-2022, 03:19 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the kind words and support. The repairs are underway and bringing more toxic fumes into the house. We’re at my in-laws now to be on the safe side. Can’t wait to put this behind us! I did think earlier how I didn’t have one thought about drinking so yay for the progress on healthy coping skills!!

Enjoy your adventure Free!!

CP, woo for 16 days!! I always get on myself when I’m not being “productive” but rest or slowing down is being productive. Quitting this addictive substance is not easy as we all know too well! It takes a lot of mental and physical energy. I remember the first couple of months were especially difficult. I had to put basically all of my energy on just not having that first drink. Try not to put too much on your plate. For me, when I try to tackle too many heavy, complex, and difficult tasks at one time I get overwhelmed, burned out, and give up. Take it one day at a time and one task at a time.

Hello LHW, Viking, Dee, and anyone else I missed!!
Old 07-01-2022, 05:29 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. Just got done with a Zoom meeting. Feeling refreshed.

Lynn, I can't wait to hear about your Alaska adventure and to see some great pics. Really loved your posts on the Newcomers forum.

Bodhi, how extensive are the repairs and how long are you going to have to relocate? I'm glad that you have family nearby to help, but I imagine that gets old pretty quickly.

Lisa, I hope that the end of your week was better than the start. What became of the call from the PRN supervisor? Was this regarding a new opportunity?

LHW, I hope that you are enjoying Chicago.

Not much else going on. I was invited to a holiday get-together tomorrow, but I'm going to pass. Not because of the temptation to drink, but because of the company. My daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids will be there, but so will my ex-wife and her new husband. It's at my wife's best friend's house. I like all of them, but sometimes I feel like a third wheel, if that makes any sense. Poor James, hasn't been able to find someone in the seven years after his divorce. I'm certain that no one really feels that way, but why put myself into a situation where I'm not comfortable? I get to see plenty of my kids and grandkids.

Bodhi, Lisa, I hope that you have something fun planned for the holiday. Talk to you guys this weekend. Hugs.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:29 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Checking in here. Just arrived in Wisconsin. Somewhere near Milwaukee.

Chicago was great, but my aching feet and legs walked 7 miles yesterday and 6 miles this morning. Not used to that at all! I do an average of 2-3 miles when I walk. Anyway, we saw the usual places people see…The Bean, Navy Pier, Willis Tower and took an architectural boat tour. Ate a lot of good food. Took the train from Chicago up here this afternoon. It was packed and stinky but only lasted an hour.

Now for the rub. Checked in to hotel … the wedding guests are given a goody bag upon arrival. Contents of goody bag: 2 beers, 2 white claws, 2 wines, 2 waters, 2 packs of “Liquid IV” and 2 packs of Advil. Of course, a few snacks like chips, chocolate bars,etc but the whole goody bag is centered around alcohol, and the Liquid IV and Advil to deal with the hangover. 🤨. I will keep the Liquid IV to use on hot golf days when we walk with our clubs. Will give alcohol to Mr. LHWs children when we see them tomorrow.

Also included was a last minute invite to go to an Irish pub this evening to “get the celebration started”. No thanks. Mr. LHW and I went to a local Italian restaurant for dinner instead and are back in our room watching TV. I just said we are totally beat, which we are, so no one really cares that we didn’t go. Mr. LHW’s children and spouses wanted to do the Irish pub thing, so the planned family dinner at the German Brewery went by the wayside. I was not disappointed with that change.

I took some good pics in Chicago but can’t seem to upload via my iPad so will wait till we get home.

Oh, got a voice mail from the President of our Condo Council. I was unanimously voted onto the board by the Officers. So here we go! The term expires in November 2023, so about 18 months. If it doesn’t seem to be my cup of tea, I don’t have to run for re-election then. Gonna get interesting!

Hope all are doing well and will touch base again when I can.

LHW

PS - Bodhi, sorry to hear about the fire, but glad I one was hurt and that you are doing okay! Glad you are at in laws. Hi to CP,Viking, Free, Dee,Venus…..
Old 07-01-2022, 06:40 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Really good advice, Bodhi.

James, I commend you for attending those meetings. Must feel wonderful

Old 07-01-2022, 06:48 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

LHW, thanks for the update, I really want to go to Chi-Town, I have a wedding there in 2023. Sounds like you’re doing great! Enjoy.

I’ll be here in the AM, gang, I’m on my iPad and it’s a pain to post.

have a good night.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:35 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

CP, the fire damage was extremely minimal when thinking about the destruction fires can cause. The insulation in the third floor which is half finished (my work from home office) and half attic storage space had the most damage from the smoke so in the attic where the insulation is that all had to be removed and replaced. Also, on the first floor part of the dining room and exterior of the house had to be gutted, treated, and replaced. We ultimately can still stay in the house but the fumes from the repairs are the main reason for us staying at the in laws and we’ll likely just stay here until Sunday or Monday. They’re down the shore until next week and we were on dog sitting duty anyway so it just made sense to stay here.

On a different note, good on you deciding to protect your energy and not go to the party!

LHW, I’ve never been to Chicago, but would love to go some day! You’re doing a wonderful job meeting your needs and weathering the temptations that are quite literally being handed to you with that goody bag (it’s crazy how much alcohol they put in there!)

Today we have some errands to run and later tonight we’re going to a good friends house for dinner. For the rest of the weekend we might do a small BBQ with my parents at some point but they have a cold right now so it all depends on how they feel. Otherwise the world is our oyster Sunday and Monday as the repair people won’t be back to do the replacement for a few days. Maybe we’ll go see a movie the Elvis biopic looks good and I used to be a huge fan of him when I was a little girl. I was really into Elvis and motorcycles, which cracks me up cause I can’t stand motorcycles now and Elvis was such an odd thing for a 6ish year old in the 90s to have an affinity for 😂

Old 07-02-2022, 06:58 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

LHW, maybe you can use the Advil for those aching feet. It's crazy how much alcohol-related stuff you have to deal with, but you were mentally prepared for it. Sounds like you are in a good place. Your description of the train (packed and stinky) made me laugh. I can almost smell the BO. Congrats on your board seat.

Bodhi, that is so funny about your Elvis affinity as a little girl. I guess that charisma translates to any and all generations. I'm sure that the movie will be good. And that you'll be revisiting his music catalog afterwards.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:36 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

It's trying to rain on my pool party.

I don't care.

Going out to sit in the rain. It has to stop sometime, right?
Old 07-02-2022, 10:38 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
Too much time online, including SR.
Happy Day 17, CP.

Never too much time here- not if that is what's needed. I gratefully spent many an hour here- and I still do.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:33 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Checking in this evening for added strength and good vibes. The pre wedding festivities are getting more and more difficult to get out of and they appear to be more and more alcohol centered.

Bailed out of the “welcome picnic” today but joined in for a brewery tour and tasting. The place also brews some brand of famous root beer, which is free to the non-alcohol tasters! I liked the plain ole root beer and the cream soda. The orange cream-sickle flavor, not so much! All way too sweet though. Wish they made it in diet.

Now waiting for the ride to the next event…another brewery for the post rehearsal dinner festivities. I am finding that this area is just loaded with breweries and every activity is cenetered around drinking.

I’ve been following Mr. LHW’s son and son in law on social media. They and the gang they are running around with appear to have been drinking since we got here. They did a pub crawl yesterday and a brewery crawl and bratwurst eating today. 🤦🏻‍♀️ We haven’t even seen them.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

LHW
Old 07-02-2022, 05:19 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Administrator

LHW it took me a long time to get there but now I give myself the care and attention I like to give to others.
If you feel secure in your recovery, thats fine, but if these activities are just too hard, excuse yourself and leave.

D
Old 07-02-2022, 06:10 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

You're doing great, LHW. When it gets monotonous and too drink-filled for comfort, it's time to go, you gave it a great effort so far. You should be proud of what you are accomplishing and just listen to yourself- you will know when to go.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:59 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee, Viking. We are back at the hotel now and all is good. I didn’t have any problem. As soon as we got there, a lady came up to me and asked if I was Mr. LHW’s wife. She is a friend of his SIL so knows him but had never met me. I said I was and we started chatting. Mr. LHW’s daughter came up and asked us if we wanted to order drinks and before I could say anything, the lady said “ I’m non-alcohol only, but good for now.” Without thinking, I said “oh, me too!”. Mr LHW’s daughter’s head spun around and she raised her eyebrow and I just shrugged. The lady then proceeded to tell me about all the great NA drinks she has found for when everyone is drinking and she feels the need to have something in her hand. She lives in the same town we do back home. I am hoping to be able to seek her out tomorrow at the wedding reception and chat with her some more.

LHW
Old 07-02-2022, 08:16 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome LHW

D
Old 07-02-2022, 10:03 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

That’s sooooo cool LHW about the wedding! And the new sober friend. It was MEANT to happen.
Also congrats on the board position. Don’t let the bully guy intimidate you.

Bodhi, glad you had another place to go.

James, you are ROCKIN’ it!

In Anchorage, and it amazing……..tomorrow float plane ride, and on to a lodge near McKinley.

The sun will set at 11:38 and rise at 4:28. It’s CRAZY!

Dinner was great, halibut, mashers, asparagus, and filet mignon. Open bar, of course. He had no non-alcohol options except sprite, cola, Mountain Dew, and ginger ale. No one noticed I wasn’t drinking. So glad it’s easier than drinking.

Sweet dreams, classmates. 🥱😴😵‍💫