Notices

Class of May 2022 Part One

Old 05-09-2022, 02:43 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

7 days today. Yay to me. The feeling right now is one of relief. Thinking you've lost your train ticket then finding it in your back pocket. Waking from a bad dream and realising it's not real. Thank God I'm not drinking.

Having been glued to the Deep v Heard trial I watched the film on which they met, The Rum Diary, over the weekend. I was struck by the gulf between the cool, romanticised version of alcoholism presented by Depp in the movie compared to the grim and brutal reality of the stories emerging from court.

Leading on from that, I think that in many ways the proceedings have happened at the right time for me in terms of reinforcing a commitment to change. Certainly I recognise many of Johnny's alkie behaviours as reported. The way he insists that some substances are 'okay' but not others. Like it's all right to drink Becks but not wine. The way he falls into a pit of despair after each outrage, promises to change but then doesn't. Hiding his drinks. 'Defiance' drinking. Being 'fun dad' with the kids then getting angry when he's pulled up on it. I'm thankful that anger has never been a part of my drunken repertoire but even so, lots of these behaviours produce a shiver of awful recognition.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:00 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I had a drinking dream last night. It wasn't the main part of the dream, I was in some desert or something, I think it was Arizona or something. Anyway it was really weird but aren't all dreams, and then towards the end of the dream there was a friend sitting there with a beer, and one for me, and I really wanted it but knew I couldn't and shouldn't have it. I didn't drink it from what I know. It was a very brief moment, at least it felt very short, and then I woke up relieved it was all a dream. I have to say drinking dreams aren't at all common for me, very random.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:01 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

My quit day is May 3rd so I guess it is okay for me to post here! Today is the start of day 7 for me! Hope you all have a good day today!
Old 05-09-2022, 05:52 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 1 here-thankfully since I came to my senses before I drank much yesterday I don't feel horrible.

Ready to put alcohol in the rear view mirror and as Suze said, let go...

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with support and advice, I appreciate it. Hopefully I can get to a place where I can pay it forward.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:58 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarkstheSpot View Post
7 days today. Yay to me. The feeling right now is one of relief. Thinking you've lost your train ticket then finding it in your back pocket. Waking from a bad dream and realising it's not real. Thank God I'm not drinking.

Having been glued to the Deep v Heard trial I watched the film on which they met, The Rum Diary, over the weekend. I was struck by the gulf between the cool, romanticised version of alcoholism presented by Depp in the movie compared to the grim and brutal reality of the stories emerging from court.

Leading on from that, I think that in many ways the proceedings have happened at the right time for me in terms of reinforcing a commitment to change. Certainly I recognise many of Johnny's alkie behaviours as reported. The way he insists that some substances are 'okay' but not others. Like it's all right to drink Becks but not wine. The way he falls into a pit of despair after each outrage, promises to change but then doesn't. Hiding his drinks. 'Defiance' drinking. Being 'fun dad' with the kids then getting angry when he's pulled up on it. I'm thankful that anger has never been a part of my drunken repertoire but even so, lots of these behaviours produce a shiver of awful recognition.
Have you seen any of the footage? The stuff Amber recorded? Or Johnny on the stand?

I am also obsessed with it: we should PM.

If I was going to write a movie about this whole thing, I would call it: "Picture of an Alcoholic". Personally, I have never seen anything more horrifying in my life.

And congrats on 7 days!!! Go you! ❤️
Old 05-09-2022, 06:01 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post
I had a drinking dream last night. It wasn't the main part of the dream, I was in some desert or something, I think it was Arizona or something. Anyway it was really weird but aren't all dreams, and then towards the end of the dream there was a friend sitting there with a beer, and one for me, and I really wanted it but knew I couldn't and shouldn't have it. I didn't drink it from what I know. It was a very brief moment, at least it felt very short, and then I woke up relieved it was all a dream. I have to say drinking dreams aren't at all common for me, very random.
I love dreams. If that was my dream, I would see it like this: your brain is telling you that you will be able to keep your friendships without the booze. You never drank the beer: you just had a lovely chat with your friend.

(Well, my take anyway )

❤️
Old 05-09-2022, 06:02 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quitorelse View Post
My quit day is May 3rd so I guess it is okay for me to post here! Today is the start of day 7 for me! Hope you all have a good day today!
Congrats to you too dear Quit!!!!!!! ❤️
Old 05-09-2022, 06:03 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Good morning all. Day 1 here-thankfully since I came to my senses before I drank much yesterday I don't feel horrible.

Ready to put alcohol in the rear view mirror and as Suze said, let go...

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with support and advice, I appreciate it. Hopefully I can get to a place where I can pay it forward.
With you every step dearest Sam. ❤️
Old 05-09-2022, 06:33 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hello all,
Samwitch, glad you are here. Don't be hard on yourself. I've been stuck where you are/were. We need to stop deluding ourselves that we can safely drink. I'm pretty depressed. Starting day 3.
Hi to May newcomers!
Old 05-09-2022, 06:37 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Good morning dear Leshar ❤️
Old 05-09-2022, 06:41 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Good morning! Sun is shining here and supposed to be very unseasonably warm today. Baseball game this evening, looking forward to wearing shorts and not being huddled under blankets.

Suze and Mark my daughter (20) is complelty obsessed with the trial as well. I hope she takes away something about how not to live from all of it.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:50 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Hi Suze, I hope you had a good weekend!
Old 05-09-2022, 06:59 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Nope I worked my butt off with classwork and then housework, and then I was exhausted. And we had no sun yesterday. So whine whine whine.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:06 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Aww, love, whine away! You're entitled to!
Old 05-09-2022, 07:09 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hey Leshar-thanks! I'm sorry you're depressed though, I hope that lifts soon.

I haven't watched anything regarding the trial--but that sounds very much like an indication of where alcohol can lead...
Citrus--sunshine makes such a difference! Sunny here too.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

The sun sure does help Sam! That everything is green again outdoors does as well!
Old 05-09-2022, 08:28 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Morning from Oregon. Yesterday was 15 weeks no drinking. 1 week since I found my husband dead. Truth number 1 - alcohol breaks you. It breaks you down mentally. The trying to quit, wanting it so much and failing...repeating. the shame the guilt... letting those you love down. Those who struggle and overcome, can heal and become a stronger version of themselves. We all have it in us to beat this..to live with the addiction, but choose not to drink. I guess, that's the bottom line YOU have to choose a different path. You have to want it so much that when the AV comes at you, you can tell it to effe off. #ODAAT
Old 05-09-2022, 09:00 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

❤️
Old 05-09-2022, 09:05 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Have you seen any of the footage? The stuff Amber recorded? Or Johnny on the stand?

I am also obsessed with it: we should PM.

If I was going to write a movie about this whole thing, I would call it: "Picture of an Alcoholic". Personally, I have never seen anything more horrifying in my life.

And congrats on 7 days!!! Go you! ❤️
Thank you!

And, yes, I have! I watched most of his testimony, although I found the cross-examination simply too tedious. I watched all of Amber's testimony start to finish. The Australian stuff!
Old 05-09-2022, 10:42 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
❤️
luvs