Notices

Class of May 2021 Support thread Part Two

Old 06-03-2021, 10:10 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Quick check in before bed, I'll have to read and post more tomorrow. Ending day 18 I think.
I had the worst headache yesterday, but it made AV stay away. Late baseball game last night. Just got home from a couple of tournament basketball games. Phew these boys are keeping us busy.

Love to all! 💗💗
Old 06-04-2021, 02:17 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Good Morning Part 1,

Once again, I am up ridiculously early, but I was glad that I woke up when I did so that I could see my husband off. He has to be at the airport at 4:30 to get processed through and his plane leave a bit after 6am. I don't know how he does it.

All went well yesterday, if I can call it well. They burn the nerves and the nerves get "angry", as they say. I had a full blown riot going on in my body. I came home in so much pain and here in FL they give you nothing for it unless you are inpatient, so it was rough. With that being said, I feel much better today, so I lived. The right side of my spine had to have been so much worse then my left because I spent the day in bed. No recliner, no TV, just sleep. They also used more to sedate me then they thought they would have to so sleep came pretty easy when I could get half way comfortable. All's well that ends well. I will still have to take it easy today but should feel much better by tomorrow.

Thank you all for the well wishes, it means a lot to me. Now, of course I have to complain, I never heard from my son yesterday 😥. Granted, when I had the left side done I was pretty snotty with him. He never called or texted so the next day I acted like he did and texted him "It is so nice you checked on me, I am feeling much better...yada, yada, yada. Yes, I guilted him into calling. I made sure he knew I was having the other side done yesterday and I heard nothing from him. This bugger doesn't care and I just have to get it through my head and leave it alone already. There is no use in me dragging out the misery.

On a good note, my husband and daughter were wonderful to me. My daughter offered to take the day off and I told her she didn't need to. My husband cooked dinner, which was hilarious. He said he was going to pick up Chinese and what did I want? Chicken and broccoli, as usual. Our local take out place just recently reopened. He went to the grocery store and came home with boxes and boxes of frozen Chinese food and what did I want? He was so proud of himself to have cooked, microwaved and baked more then we could ever eat. He was so proud of himself for cooking something. He kept asking me "It is good, honey, it is good, isn't it?" I do love this man.

I do count yesterday as day 8, though I had not inclination to drink. I didn't drink and the sedation was necessary, very, very, very necessary. Now on to today. This will be a hard one. I can't do much, it will be rainy all day and I don't do well on gloomy days. I have no adult supervision here today and so I will have to be the adult. I can do this and I will get on here when I need to.

Phoebe, I am sorry your back is bothering you. I know how that feels. It used to be that exercises and ice did the trick for me till it didn't. Yesterday, for the first time, my doc left the fluoroscope pictures up after my procedure. My vertebrae did not look to good and I mentioned to him that those bones don't look very healthy. He said that was what I had and that is what we are working with. I might get that back looked at if I were you so not too much degeneration sets in. I feel you though, I feel you.

Plenny, I use HALT a lot and it does help. I wish I had never stopped using it, but then again I started drinking again because I thought I could handle it, that was not how it worked out.

Scott, I hope to see you on here this weekend. I think we may be seeing a lot of each other. I just don't want to drink and I don't want my AV to become my guiding force. I am proud of my 8 days, I have not done that in a great while, but I am not over the hump yet.

I hope everyone has a great day and I will try to continue my night's sleep. The good thing is that my husband is a great plane sleeper so I will not worry too much about him getting some rest in.

OneThing
Old 06-04-2021, 04:56 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Gad the procedure went well dear One Thing ❤️
Old 06-04-2021, 07:27 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Thank you Venus!

I really am feeling good after my night sleep part 2. I am so glad after yesterday!

Now I really want to do something around the house and can't push it. Thoughts of that morning drink are swimming around the rain drops out side now. I am not going to do it! My husband being gone is a hard one along with a rainy, gloomy day. We do need the rain though.

I have a really good historical fiction novel I started and so I guess I will work on that. I can't get in trouble reading. Ugh!

HALT...the loney is tugging at me, but I have you guys!

OneThing
Old 06-04-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Drinking and recovery from back surgery don't go together....not for anyone I would think.
Glad you are speaking out love.... s
Food, water, and that awesome book sound just the thing. Sending you healing love. ❤️
Old 06-04-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

I'm not a busy bee today so I'm off to change my avatar to something that makes me happy. I'm all over the place emotionally as my father passed away a few years ago and today is his birthday. I'm staying strong, no thoughts or craving for wine.

*Okay, I'm a cheetah bunny now. I love vintage clothing+ and adore this pic. It's photographed by Oldham for GlamourUK in 2010. Not me!
Old 06-04-2021, 09:23 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Oof, Onething, that procedure sounds beyond unpleasant, but glad you’re already feeling improved! Drinking is definitely bad for healing and causes inflammation, as we all know and have felt.

I’m feeling better today, but very stiff, so still being careful.

We have a graduation party to attend across the street tomorrow. I found a dress in my closet, new with tags, because it was a end of season clearance item a few years ago, and snug. I then gained more weight. Well, I tried it on this morning and it fits loosely with a nice drape. I’m not sure it’s quite right for tomorrow, but delighted that it fits! I could definitely wear it out to dinner...maybe for my birthday in a few weeks.

Sobriety might be challenging tomorrow, but doable. Father of the grad is sober for as long as we’ve known him. There will be plenty of NA beverages there.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:25 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi Kitten! Pretty new avatar! Sorry your missing your father today. 💕
Old 06-04-2021, 12:06 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I hope you have a speedy recovery OneThing. I am curious about the procedure. Is it upper back or lower back? I’ve never heard of burning the nerves. Sounds painful. Glad your feeling better Phoebe. My eczema is subsiding with the Prednisone thankfully. I know I won’t drink because I have a Dr. appoint next week. I have no craving, no AV, no desire. What puzzles me is the change once the appointment is done. Many times I have headed straight to get a bottle. Reward for holding off drinking? Hard to figure that out. Going to try hard to make that not happen this time.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:59 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! It is getting close to wine:30 around here and I thought I would get on here and read some.

Kittencat, I do like your new picture. I am sorry about your dad. I also was a daddy's girl and I do have a tremendous time on Father's Day even with his birthday being 6/10. I love it when my husband is home then so we can celebrate him but if he is away, and he usually is, it is a tough day.

Good for you Phoebe for loosing weight. I have a long way to go myself. I do not look at like myself because of the weight I have gained. The last three months is the first time in the last 5 yrs that I am not taking any medication were one of the side effects is gaining weight! The last one I took was Lyrica and it helped some, but not enough to justify the weight I have gained. Add drinking to that and I am a mess. I just won't drink and that should help matters a lot!

The house is too quiet right now. I took a bit of a nap while reading, but it is too quiet. I thought I would get on here and see how everyone is doing.

My son did call me soon after I got off here. I was really surprised. He was driving to a job in Virginia, so he was alone and had a chance to call me with out girl friend shrieking in the back ground. Rarely do we talk now that she isn't answering for him in the back ground. I just don't know, but he did remember that I had my procedure yesterday. He didn't call me yesterday but I guess I should be grateful for what I get. His mother-in-law to be is at their house now helping with wedding stuff. I wanted to be snotty and ask if she was staying with friends because they told me they don't have room in their condo for guests, or maybe it is just me, I think just me.

Girlfriend had a fitting for her gown and, of course, the gown was not the color she had ordered so it has to be sent back. He asked me all kinds of questions about how long we be in the mountains, if it was just for the rehearsal and wedding or the whole holiday weekend. It is 9/5 I said I didn't know because of my husband's work and just wanted to say we were not going. I chickened out.

He wanted to know what we were wearing. I told him parkas and hiking boots, that didn't go over well. I told him I was looking at a champagne colored dress, which I have been looking at already in my closet and I am not sure I fit into anymore. He said he was not sure about that he would ask her. I asked if my husband had to wear a suit and he wasn't sure. My husband has lost 30 lbs in the last year due to being on a strict diabetic diet, even with his drinking, and we don't want to go as far as getting him a suit. We don't want to go as it is. My son said that really what she wanted was all the couples to match. I think we would do fine in blue bathing suits to match the lining in our pool.

I will know what to do when the time is right. I just don't know what to think, it was so nice talking with him. He is a different person without her around and I give him 3 years at the most. The one thing I know about him is that when he is done with her, he will be done. He is an on and off person I just hope they don't have children.

So, I am rambling, but I am not drinking. I got the tired part taken care of, rambling takes some of the sting off of son's call. I don't feel as alone being on here. My daughter has about 3 hrs left to work and doesn't have plans with friends tonight so maybe she will watch a movie with me. I hope so. I think I told you all that we kinda split the house so that she about has her own apartment here. She has her own entrance, she has the original master bedroom as this house was added on to, we built a temporary wall that makes the dining room her sitting room and we just share the kitchen, which means I cook for her.

I guess I can go eat a couple of sugar wafers and take the edge off the craving. Sugar helps. Tomorrow I can do more around the house and I do have a list going so I really should enjoy sitting around guilt free. If I drink, I will not be guilt free.

Thank you all for being here!

OneThing
Old 06-04-2021, 01:07 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

I am going to echo Anna and Phoebe now....I would buy a dress (not champagne, a bit too close to the bride's colour maybe) and get my husband a new suit and go to the wedding. It sounds like your son is expecting you dear One Thing. s xx
Old 06-04-2021, 01:10 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Scott, it is great to see you on here and I am glad AV is not chatting away in your head like it is mine right now.

The procedure is called Radiofrequency Ablation and they burn the nerves at 80 degrees Celsius. In my case he also did a chemical burn also because I have proven to be one tough cookie. I had it done once on my neck with just the heat and it only lasted 3 months, the second one didn't really take in my neck so I had to have two levels fused together. In my back I had to have L2-3, L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S-1 burned. It was a big area so he split in 2 procedures. It really is nothing more then cauterizing the nerves but in a big way.

Thinking of you this weekend Scott, we are both going to get through the weekend as long as we keep the AV quiet and behaving itself!

One Thing
Old 06-04-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I am going to echo Anna and Phoebe now....I would buy a dress (not champagne, a bit too close to the bride's colour maybe) and get my husband a new suit and go to the wedding. It sounds like your son is expecting you dear One Thing. s xx
Suze beat me to it. Your representation of the conversation sounds very much like your son is expecting you at the wedding. He’s asking what you plan to wear, how long your going to be in the area... I’d say you’re invited. I thought you were not sure of that. I’d definitely get your husband a suit, unless it’s a casual garden wedding. And mother of bride or groom should try to coordinate with what the bride requests. 🤷🏻‍♀️. That’s just traditional, not her being difficult. I imagine she’s stressed out herself. I don’t think you’ll regret going, but I think there’s great potential to regret not going. 💕
Old 06-04-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

My AV is nagging me this weekend. The back trouble, parties, good weather, grumpy mood, lol. It’s all screaming for a drink. Distracting myself here too.

Scott, glad you’re feeling better too. I need to get blood drawn. I’ve been putting it off initially due to a short relapse over a month ago now, but then got sick with diverticulitis, so my diet is not ideal now-limited veg, more bread and starchy stuff. I’ve got a physical with a new dr on the 15th, so it’s more useful to her if there’s information there. I’ll just go next week. I’ve done the same thing, buy a bottle on the way home after a nice, clean checkup. Crazy, right?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:57 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Learning that automatic negative thoughts/feelings are a habit, and a new habit of recognizing them and pushing them out is necessary for happiness I believe, most of the time.

Letting things weigh us down and take rent in our heads is not good early on when we have a goal of changing our lives for the better.

Hugs to all my classmates here struggling with anxiety, hurt, and self anger. I know, I have it too, but working on letting the feelings come, experience them, but not inviting them to stay for tea in my head.

Please see some pics I posted on weekenders, might be a nice distraction. Just tap my user name, see posts, and the posts should pop up, then click on them. Enjoy!

🥰
Old 06-04-2021, 04:02 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Scott and Phoebe, I've done the same after a visit to the doctor. I'm not sure if it was due to anxiety before when I'd worry there was something wrong with me or the reward, relief afterwards. Probably a bit of both. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Old 06-04-2021, 04:14 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hi Free! I can't wait to see more of your pics! x

I'll go find them in the thread - I feel like an intruder even when I accidentally click on anything that leads to a profile. Like I'm spying on them. I back out of there so quickly. lol

*God they’re gorgeous! 😍
Old 06-04-2021, 04:16 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you left click on Free's name above her avatar and scroll down to 'find other posts by user', you can avoid the profile visit alltogether
Old 06-04-2021, 04:24 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you left click on Free's name above her avatar and scroll down to 'find other posts by user', you can avoid the profile visit alltogether
Thank you Dee! x
Old 06-04-2021, 06:09 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Well everyone, I believe I have made through this day! It was a really hard one, AV wise, but getting on here has surely helped. Thank you all!

Phoebe and Venus, you are most definitely right, my son does want me to be at his wedding and everything that I read about this particular situation suggests that not going would be a huge mistake.

I will never be part of his family though and that just plain hurts me. I love my son, my only son, with every ounce of my heart and soul. I have not seen him in 3 years and I have explained that whole mess. I never got an explanation over what happened either and my husband and would never treat anyone badly who we have invited into our home. He also can't see me before the wedding and I have been asking for months for us to get together and visit to find some comfort in our relationship as part of his family. He doesn't have time to see me and he told me this with her in the car last Sunday as they were driving home from the beach where her parents have just moved to. His new almost mother-in-law is also at their condo this weekend. The same condo that they don't have room for me to come visit them at.

She plain old doesn't like me, like really, really, really doesn't like me. 2 hours of screaming and crying in my house doesn't like me so with that in mind, it is not going to be a comfortable event. He is also a very different person when he is around her.

The wedding is, of course, about the bride and she should certainly have the day she dreams of. Never in my son's life did he ever tell me how he dreamed his wedding would be, his first car, yes, but not a wedding. I really would not do anything like wear black at the wedding or even red, though I rock in the color red! It is just us showing up for him and his attention should definitely be on his bride, not his mother. We are kind of peripheral ornamentation, as it was. I only have 2 brothers and they and their families are not invited but some of my ex-husband's family is. The question is, do I love my son enough to eat the rest of the event up? When all is said and done also, I will not be part of HIS family. It is a doozy but I will keep praying over it and maybe just have to take this in the gut.

Any how, 9 days in the house, as it were, 🎉. It has been a tough one, but to bed I go with my book. Thank you for reading my ramblings. I can do more tomorrow, get almost back to normal so staying busy with help!

OneThing