Notices

Class of May 2021 Support thread Part Two

Old 06-02-2021, 10:24 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your support. Son's wedding is in Sept, about 90 days away. I have been asking for about 2 months for us to find time visit together because his wedding day is not the day. I have always found that weddings are about the bride and there is nothing wrong with that. I just need to find a decision and a way to communicate it that I am, at least, comfortable with. Things will not get better between us, that is for sure. Do I really want to make them worse?

Phoebe, it is good to know you are a PT. He has not told me to use anything but to just concentrate on the exercises he has given me to start. These are exercises that I have done before and my pain is worse. I think if we concentrate on the shoulder it will be better. I have to see him in a bit.

Scott, my daughter had the same thing a few months ago. How she got it we really don't know, probably from one of the kids. Her doctor gave her penicillin for it. She has taken penicillin before, as a child, but lo-and-behold, she is allergic to it. She is really allergic to it! Anaphylactic shock, allergic to it! That was scary. She now carries an EpiPen and adds it to the list she is allergic to. The older she gets the more things she is reacting badly too. I feel so bad for her.

I thought I would check in. Idle time while waiting to go to PT, I have to make these appointments earlier!
Old 06-02-2021, 01:04 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry you drank Scott. What do you think stops you from posting here before you drink?

D
Old 06-02-2021, 03:42 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee - I don’t know and I am trying to figure that out. I don’t want to drink but then I do and I listen to the AV. Thankfully it didn’t last long and I feel ok except for the skin problem but that is receding as well with the Prednisone. I will try harder to post when the AV rises up. I appreciate the support here at SR. It was easier to drop the drink this time than it ever has been before so maybe that is a positive but I don’t want to think I can drink like a normal person because I can’t.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:08 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just catching up on all your posts, I’ve been so busy lately!
Sending you all hugs of support
Old 06-02-2021, 09:33 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

So, I started strong in January and February, then had short relapses in March and April. I’m happy to say that as of midnight, my sobriety app tells me I hit a month milestone again. After at least a year of the heaviest drinking of my life, daily, I’m still pleased with all of my sobriety since January, but relieved to be feeling on more solid ground. I don’t count days, but did tuck my restart dates in that app, and I check it now and then. It also tells me the money I’m saving, and that’s at $378 for just the month. That figure is based on me estimating that I spent $12/day drinking. It’s probably more, because it was usually at least one bottle of wine, often more. Covid kept us home, but, if not, drinks out would add quite a bit to that as well. A glass of wine at a bar or restaurant here runs $8-$14. It’s crazy looking at those numbers because we are actually generally frugal. My husband is still drinking. I shared my milestone and the numbers with him.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:35 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your month Phoebe

D
Old 06-02-2021, 10:50 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 month Phoebe!

thanks for all the love everyone. It’s helping.

had a great shift tonight. I’m already having too much sugary soda. But for now it’ll have to be that way. I’m really enjoying working with another sober person. I enjoy that there isn’t a culture of sitting in after the shift and drinking. Just a fun place to work and be around really interesting people with good stories and many talents. I feel safe. I’m scared to say it but I’m happy there. I’m so relieved I got to leave the steakhouse where I was so unhappy.

I also was somehow able to get in a couple studio hours today. Which makes me feel more relevant, and like myself. To counteract the worthlessness I feel every time my ex cuts me out even more.

at least I am going to bed sober. I feel lucky for that.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:13 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Administrator

sober to bed is a good way to be Plenny

D
Old 06-02-2021, 11:29 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a month Phoebe, that’s wonderful!
I hate to think about how much money I wasted on booze over the many years of drinking
I could probably have bought a house with it!

Sleep well Plenny

I’m just winding up at work and heading home. Got my milky drink ready to go for the drive home so I’m not tempted to stop and buy grog.

Day 18 for me today
Old 06-02-2021, 11:34 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to you too Willow

D
Old 06-03-2021, 01:11 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Good Early Morning to Everyone

I am having a bit of trouble sleeping tonight. I guess I am a bit anxious about my procedure today.

Congratulations Phoebe and Willow! I actually made it 7 days yesterday! Woohoo!

Scott, I sure understand where you are coming from. I don't want to drink at all and yet...My husband leaves Friday and I have no idea when he will be back. My mind just goes to when on Friday I can actually start drinking. It is like a muscle memory or something. Weekends when he is gone are especially tough. I think I will be on here a lot.

I did go to physical therapy yesterday and had a different therapist. That went well. I told him I really though my problem was coming from my shoulder and not so much my neck. He told me to kind of cool it with my neck and gave me more exercises for my shoulder. Now, this is not my first time going to PT so we went through the exercises I have been doing and he gave me new ones. He told me which of my old ones to do now and those we will wait on. He also said there was no problem with me using a menthol/camphor patch. He said the other guy really likes bio-freeze though he didn't tell me that. I have tried that before and the patches work better for me, so no harm done. I start doing these new exercises at home on Saturday and give my body some time to heal from today's procedure.

I guess I will try and get a bit more sleep before having to get up again. I will be glad when today is done. It will be painful today but by tomorrow I will feel much better.

Have a good sober day everyone!

One Thing
Old 06-03-2021, 01:51 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

I hope it all goes well OneThing
Old 06-03-2021, 05:11 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Congrats to all of you on your sober days! s ❤️

And all the best for today dear One Thing. xxxxxxxxxxxxx ❤️
Old 06-03-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes onething

D
Old 06-03-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneThingAtATime View Post
Scott, I sure understand where you are coming from. I don't want to drink at all and yet...My husband leaves Friday and I have no idea when he will be back. My mind just goes to when on Friday I can actually start drinking. It is like a muscle memory or something. Weekends when he is gone are especially tough. I think I will be on here a lot.
One Thing
Thanks OneThing - Hope all goes well today. I have a lot more thoughts on this and will post once they are collected.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:18 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. 😘

Congratulations on a solid week, Willow!

Im so glad your job change is working out, Plenny. You spend a lot of time there, so it’s great you’re feeling good about it, and have support! Look how quickly things can change. You were brave and took a risk, and it’s been successful. That’s very rewarding. 💕

Scott, glad your back on track, and that the steroids are helping your skin reaction.

Congrats Onething on your week! And wishing you a successful procedure today. I understand your thoughts on drinking while your husband is away. My AV is nagging about drinking. “You’ve made it a solid month again, you got through that party, maybe just a couple at the party on Saturday...”. Of course it would end up a two evening binge. I’d be hungover, very disappointed in myself, ashamed to fess up to y’all, and my liver would not be happy. All for what? A brief buzz? Then waking with the sweats and a racing heart. Turns my stomach writing it all out like that.

That was half for you, Onething, and as much for myself, to lay it all out there before I choose to drink. I was so close to asking hubs to get me some wine last night when he went to stock up on his beer. Knowing I was 4 hours from my personal next milestone stopped me. Now, I need my next goal. For now, it’s to get through Saturday sober.

So, my back is acting up today. I shifted in bed, and knew it was going to be a bad day. Sigh. So far, I can move and get around the house. I should go try out the local spine center. I usually treat myself with some ice/heat, rest, ibuprofen, and gradually add in some exercise and walking. But, I hear about these injections...like your doing Onething. Might be time for something, or at least some diagnostic imaging. I have a physical mid month. New dr. Might mention it.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:23 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Hi friends!
Just a quick note to let you know I am super busy right now so I'll need to catch up later. x
Old 06-03-2021, 01:08 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Had a pretty productive studio day... made the decision to just buy prints of my artwork to sell and charge them on my credit card. Because I'm sick of waiting to do art markets because I'm not well off enough to be an artist. That's the sad truth. I'm only living once so here I go

I'm getting ready for dinner with friends and then straight to a meeting. It's the home group of my manager at work but he won't be there tonight so I'm kind of glad I get to just sit in the big group by myself this time. I like to just be there and listen. I prepared a share but I may not do it tonight. It's not always something I feel good about after, I have a lot of anxiety about upsetting other people or saying something stupid or wrong. Yes, despite the fact that I know that is not usually the case, I am an adult child of abusers so it comes up. Sometimes I feel better if I just listen.

Hope everyone's day is going well.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Thank you guys. 😘

Congratulations on a solid week, Willow!

Im so glad your job change is working out, Plenny. You spend a lot of time there, so it’s great you’re feeling good about it, and have support! Look how quickly things can change. You were brave and took a risk, and it’s been successful. That’s very rewarding. 💕

Scott, glad your back on track, and that the steroids are helping your skin reaction.

Congrats Onething on your week! And wishing you a successful procedure today. I understand your thoughts on drinking while your husband is away. My AV is nagging about drinking. “You’ve made it a solid month again, you got through that party, maybe just a couple at the party on Saturday...”. Of course it would end up a two evening binge. I’d be hungover, very disappointed in myself, ashamed to fess up to y’all, and my liver would not be happy. All for what? A brief buzz? Then waking with the sweats and a racing heart. Turns my stomach writing it all out like that.

That was half for you, Onething, and as much for myself, to lay it all out there before I choose to drink. I was so close to asking hubs to get me some wine last night when he went to stock up on his beer. Knowing I was 4 hours from my personal next milestone stopped me. Now, I need my next goal. For now, it’s to get through Saturday sober.

So, my back is acting up today. I shifted in bed, and knew it was going to be a bad day. Sigh. So far, I can move and get around the house. I should go try out the local spine center. I usually treat myself with some ice/heat, rest, ibuprofen, and gradually add in some exercise and walking. But, I hear about these injections...like your doing Onething. Might be time for something, or at least some diagnostic imaging. I have a physical mid month. New dr. Might mention it.
Phoebe I have those thoughts a lot. About rewarding sober time by drinking. Nuts hey, but all too real. But they’re not our thoughts , they’re the lies of addiction. They’re the AV trying desperately to get us to drink. I sometimes feel like I have a war going on in my head between the AV and the real me. It’s so exhausting sometimes!

It’s great to spell it out. Put the consequences of drinking down on paper to read in black and white. It helps me to remind myself of the inevitable feelings of anxiety, guilt, shame, sick in the stomach, racing heart, feeling shaky and unwell, headachey, and intensely craving another drink whilst knowing it’s killing me from the inside out, starting with poisoning my poor old liver.

Playing the tape forward in my head to the consequences of drinking is still one of my biggest sober tools.
Visualising how dreadful I will feel the next day. That and posting on SR regularly.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone
I’ll be away camping so will have heaps to catch up on when I get home on Sunday. Stay safe and sober classmates ❤️
Old 06-03-2021, 09:13 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

That’s a good idea Willow. I think I’ll write out a list of things to do if I’m struggling with the AV and keep it in my wallet

my dad used to keep a card that said HALT in his wallet

How are you doing One Thing?