Old 10-17-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for sharing those Free - what a great part of the world

D
Old 10-17-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
p***enger

We all are busy, seems like. Seems like everything, even relaxing, is intense. The NYC government is instituting block-by-block treatment of what they call "micro-clusters," which is a little worrisome for civil rights issues, but maybe good for public safety. It's so hard to judge. The Guardian Angels are going to start patrolling my neighborhood. Individuals are stepping up to stop the city from falling into bad times. Small business loans seem to be helping -- it's the big stores I see closing. The big stores employ a lot of people, and empty big lots aren't safe.

sg -the expansion of your store into my neighborhood shows no sign of moving forward. Do you know anything about it?
Old 10-17-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
p***enger

Beautiful, Free. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

so glad you all enjoyed!

Ugh, just wrote a whole post and it disappeared. More later.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

The next day we arose at 0400 to assure one of the 50 parking spots to a trailhead that offers a diverse number of day hikes of varying length. Our rethought mission of the day was a trilogy hike, with at least the first two lakes achieved.

The lakes on this hike in Rocky Mountain National Park are Mills, Black, and Frozen. Total length about 15 miles in and out, with 3600 feet vertical gain.

This pic is the first we could take, as the morning light illuminates a mountainside to our west, somewhere over there is our destination.

We arrived at Mills Lake, ar just about 0700. The pic captures the stillness and serenity that surrounds us. The mountains in the background give us a preview of the hard hike in front of us.

in the center, you can see what looks like a pointed rock. This is Pyramid Point. We don’t know it, but we will be heading up there on that plateau in a few hours.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

i quickly discover that first pic was an unnamed pond, and THIS is Mills lake looking westward.

gorgeous!

looking at a tributary fromBlack Lake a couple miles away that feeds Mills Lake

Old 10-18-2020, 07:01 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Sorry if the are disappearing. Will fix that.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

That looks beautiful Free
Old 10-19-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I wanted to check in to say hi. A good friend of mine’s husband has been on again-off again with his sobriety. After his most recent incoherent posting on social media, I simply sent her a link to the schedule for Alanon meetings. She said she was going to go tonight. Looking forward to finding out if she did.
Misery might have brought me to recovery, but what I discover here keeps me coming back.

I was reading about how being sober without recovery must be impacting her husband. Those early days are so painful. He said, why should I change? The only one who’s different is me. You and the girls (daughters) are still a bunch of b——-s. Rude sentiment aside, something really struck me about how hard the early days are.

FBL - Glad to see your hobbies are thriving!

Work is busy. Kids are busy. Etc. My work is still remote and I’m thankful for that. One of my new hires has Covid. If we were in the office we’d be closer than 6 ft while I provided assistance. Doing so virtually works for me.

SG - How do you feel being on the front lines?

Courage - Are you still the lone faculty member in your office building?

Aly - Glad to year you’re being vigilant with mask wearing. I think we have to be vigilant; although people are loosening up now is not the time to relax. People can call it the new normal all they want. It doesn’t feel normal to me yet. From time to time I’ve forgotten my mask and dug around in the car til I’ve found one.

My kids are still going to school two days / learning remotely two days. Their schedule is 2 half-days, Wednesdays off, 2 half days. Not bad!! There have been a few covid cases in the schools - 3 teachers and 5 students in the district.Two of my son’s hockey teammates were exposed to classmates who tested positive. They are isolating. Otherwise practices and games are still happening for everyone else.

Carlos - How is the new job? How’s NE? I miss you!!!!

Free - Thanks for sharing your travel adventures!

I hope everyone is doing well!!!

Old 10-19-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Gleefan

D
Old 10-20-2020, 02:42 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post

sg -the expansion of your store into my neighborhood shows no sign of moving forward. Do you know anything about it?
I don't know the specifics of your new potential store Courage, but I know as a whole the company has taken their foot off the gas opening stores since Covid. My company self finances expansion, and with the sales downturn caused by Covid, prudence dictates seeing how things play out before spending a lot of cash. Secondly, and I know how this played out in my big city, government zoning boards, licenses, inspections and other red tape can delay store openings by up to a year. Especially if your company is trying to play the game above board and not relying on greasing palms to expedite matters. Unfortunately, that how things still get done in the big city. I will keep you posted.

Glee, good to see you. I am glad that you are working from home and enjoying the experience overall. All of the people such as yourself whom are working from home during Covid have probably saved this country from an even larger outbreak. I know some larger companies around my way were once talking about getting workers back to the office in January, but now that looks more like next summer at this point. I don't think anything will approaching normalcy will occur until a proven and safe vaccine is out on the market, and a majority of folks have been immunized. It's going to take a while.

Best wishes all!
Old 10-29-2020, 06:47 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I've been in a media avoidance mode, except for SR, for the past couple weeks. My state is probably going to determine the election, so it's a constant barrage of ads on tv, radio and social media. Our local Covid numbers have started to rise dramatically. I guess this is the official start of the second wave, not that the first wave ever ended. Hospitals are quietly filling up again. Western Europe is going to lockdowns once again. To make matters worse, most school districts will begin sending kids back on a hybrid schedule in a couple weeks. I feel things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better. This certainly has been a once in a generation year. And the silly time change is upon us once again. Always when I have to work early.

I still am taking time each day to be grateful for myself and my loved ones staying healthy and having a roof over our heads, and not drinking. I feel sometimes as though my AV is just standing off in the corner, asking me "Had enough yet?" Fortunately, I always say no.

Courage, are you still going into work each day to a pretty empty building? Do you feel that online learning has slowed down where your students should be at this point of the academic calendar?

Aly, how are you feeling? Has it finally begun to rain a bit to quell the fires a bit?

FBL, are you almost done your latest project?

Glad you are having some normalcy in your life Glee.

Take care everyone!
Old 10-29-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
p***enger

I was just thinking about you, sg.

Pretty much all you say, I think too.

More than once in a generation -- once in a century. If we survive, we and all of ours will be able to say, "I remember the time of COVID."

Me too with the AV. I have intrusive thoughts again like I haven't in a long time -- just mebbe a little image of myself walking home in the damp, chilly darkness, watching out for the predators who are more likely now than in 40 years to be out on the street -- a little image of myself with a bottle in hand. Weird. I feel disinterested in the idea, and it's not a route I want to take. But I get it.

At work, yes, it's still empty -- dark too. Oddly enough, Netflix seems to have rented out some interior space -- maybe for a commissary for the crew? I can't figure it out. In my classes, I'm slowing down my pace a bit, not much. But I have some students who are under super-bad stress, a nurse in particular. I don't know how to help her. I'm accommodating assignment due dates and stuff, but she just seems to be breaking down. And she's not a newbie in the field either-- she's a tough grown lady.

I still practice gratitude every day, though I often don't get to posting it here until night. My sleep schedule is upside down. We often don't have dinner until 11 p.m.

My goal for winter is one day at a time, to try to think good thoughts and make kind gestures, to put a little beauty in my surroundings, and to do something surprising as often as possible.

It's really good to see your post here, sg. Time for a check-in, team?
Old 10-30-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I won't meet my self-imposed book deadline today. There's more work involved than I thought and it's all on me to do it. I'm giving myself another week. Rushing just leads to undue stress and avoidable mistakes.

I don't think I posted the link in this thread to the video me and my friend Ev did on the benefits of practicing daily gratitude : Gratitude. I'm happy to see that we're already over 100 views in less than a week. We're thinking about doing more in the future.

Will be so happy when this election is over. That's all I'll say on that!

Have a great Weekend, gang!
Old 10-30-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks FBL!
Old 11-09-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I’ve been grinding along over here I came here looking for a little inspiration.
Courage:
My goal for winter is one day at a time, to try to think good thoughts and make kind gestures, to put a little beauty in my surroundings, and to do something surprising as often as possible.
This is perfect, Cour. I don’t find it easy to go into the dark, cold months during “regular” years. With the pandemic it feels a little rougher than usual. I like the reminder to model the goodness and light that I’m yearning for.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:25 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi Glee! I agree with the putting a little beauty in my surroundings suggestion. I have been getting back into orchid growing, and my collection has gone from five to about eighteen in a month. I already have a cactus window and a general houseplant window. I have one orchid window and a grow light setup in my basement. It's something to take my mind off of these troubling times.

Courage, your store location is not on the "coming soon" bulletin we receive each week.

My store had its first documented employee Covid case this weekend and it has caused a tumult. This individual got infected from a martial arts instructor outside of work. This individual also hosted a small party attended by a handful of younger employees. Our manager took nearly 24 hours to officially tell everyone about the situation, which enraged a lot of the older crew members, many of whom are taking care of quite elderly parents at this stage of life. The employees whom attended the gathering were allowed back to work after passing a rapid Covid test. According to the CDC, these tests are only 34-80% percent accurate, especially a day or two after contact. This further upset many employees. As a result, a lot of the crew has opted for company backed Voluntary Medical Leave, whereby an employee can take a two week leave without affecting their medical insurance and other benefit calculations. Yesterday, I operated the store missing around a third of my staffing, and it was ugly. I worked a full shift with the infected employee and was in close contact with them on their last day. No wonder this virus is spreading unchecked throughout this country. The possibly reckless actions of one individual might possibly have put a hundred plus individuals, plus all of their close contacts, at risk. Myself, and the rest of the crew, will be nervously waiting to see if symptoms develop over the next two weeks. This could not come at a worse time from a business perspective, as we are prepping for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays currently, and sales are flying. It's just a difficult situation all around. This is going to be a very challenging winter.

FBL, I believe I read that you were able to finish your book. Congrats!

Courage, how is life treating you in the academic world?

Aly, how are things on the Left Coast? Have you finally gotten enough rain to put out most of the fires? How have you been feeling?

Glee, I imagine your company is feeling the stress with the unknown market directions occurring post election? There are probably a lot of nervous investors out there looking for guidance.

Best wishes everyone!

Stay as safe as you can.