Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #11

Old 11-11-2020, 03:51 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, so sorry to hear about your work situation. I sincerely hope that you stay safe and healthy as possible. Have you personally been tested yet? I'm so grateful that I'm in a mostly solitary environment, both at work and at home. Of course, I take all possible precautions when out and about in public. Such a stark contrast between where I live and work. I live in the city of Milwaukee where most are taking this very seriously. I work out "in the country" and I still see lots of people not wearing masks and/or social distancing. I'm sure you can guess where most of the new cases are occuring!

Finally got my book off to the printer yesterday. It's so satisfying to see months of hard work finally come together!

Have a great day, all!
Old 11-11-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks FBL!

Congrats on getting the book to the publisher.

Looks like a self isolating Thanksgiving for certain this year.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on the book FBL
Take care SG!
D
Old 11-15-2020, 02:13 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted. Just exhausted from work, and things are tense at home, too. Walking on eggshells, hoping to get through the winter without driving one another crazy.

My bright spot this week is that I ordered serious grout cleaner. Haven't used it yet, but baby steps

sg, I hope you've stayed healthy. I had a COVID test a couple of weeks ago because I had a minor medical procedure. It went easy for me, but I hear not so much for everyone. My sister got a nosebleed!

FBL, I hear from same sister in Wisconsin that you all are getting it more. Take care of yourself. It seems from where I am that PPE really does work. Big congratulations on the book! Thanks for sharing that -- a little bright spot!

Glee, how are you doing? Does the thought of grout cleaner inspire you? I bought some Cherry Garcia, too. Decided that this winter, ice cream for breakfast might be in order.

Aly, I hear you've been sick. I hope it isn't anything serious and you're better now.

Dee, staying well? Are you able to get out and about? What's the state of precautions against COVID where you are?

Hugs to all.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:18 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi all!

Thankfully keeping healthy, but we have a large chunk of employees out awaiting Covid test results. It seems this individual wasn't a super spreader at least.

Courage- grout cleaner?! If it works, could you pm me the name? I never can clean my one bathroom no matter what I use. Kathy had something she swore by, but I can't remember what it was.

My local school system had unveiled a hybrid system just this past week. Due to the immense rise in Covid cases locally, my county has forced all districts to go totally virtual in a week for a two week period. Our district is starting all virtual tomorrow. In my nearly sixty years, I truly have never experienced such a year as 2020. I can vividly remember Watergate and 'Nam and that all pales in comparison. Hopefully, we are entering the final act of this play.

Happy Monday all!
Old 11-16-2020, 12:46 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

No community cases where I am for a few weeks but I still go out in mask and gloves. Not a great deal of change from my usual life right now.

D
Old 11-17-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Courage - Grout cleaner does inspire me! A clean space is relaxing. I got a new vacuum and it did such a good job yesterday that the room practically *smelled* cleaner.

SG - How disappointing that someone decided to “spread the wealth” to your staff. I just don’t have any words.

My kids have 4 half days of instruction per week. Two days in school, two days at home. After Thanksgiving, the district is adding Wednesdays back in. Last week two kids on my older sons hockey team were quarantining due to a sibling diagnosed with covid, awaiting their own test results. A couple I’m friends with were both ill and tested positive. All I could think was, it’s getting closer. (The teammates ended up testing negative. The couple feels better.)

FBL - Glad to see how productive you continue to be! I’m right with you on being grateful to work in relative solitude although my day hardly feels like a solo effort. Trying to keep the team’s spirits and engagement up is an interesting challenge.

Dee - glad you’re doing well

Aly - hope you’re well too!

Old 11-18-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
p***enger

NYC just declared a return to 100% virtual classes starting tomorrow. They also started closing anyplace that has a liquor license at 10 p.m. I don't know if that's due to rowdy late-nite shenanigans? It may be statewide.

I wish I had good news to share. The closest it comes -- there's some horrible cost-saving/efficiency/state-mandated overhaul going on in my higher ed institution, and I'm on 1, 2, maybe 3 of the steering committees. It's hard to say how many because there's a proliferation of overlapping committees. Anyway, there's someone on 2 of them who regularly dismisses the merit of my academic discipline, and rejects the possibility that I can have an effective role in school-wide decision-making. And no one objects, but me, and I'm pretty tired of it. So..., my chairperson called me, very nicely, about today's most egregious display, and she basically said that it constitutes an abusive workplace situation, and if the head honcho doesn't put a stop to it, she'll join me in walking out. Which I really appreciated.

I always thought there should be a regular thread on work and sobriety. I was never one for waiting for my liquor fix until I got home, but there's a reason that cocktail hour starts at 5 p.m., right?
Old 11-19-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I agree Courage. Work got me revved up to drink far more often than not. A work thread might be beneficial to many.

It's a disgrace how no others supported you. That truly is an abusive workplace situation. You're just trying to help your school. I hope things resolve in a positive manner one way or another.

I was reading an interactive article in the WP that showed each county in every states' chance of having a Covid positive guest at Thanksgiving if one had ten or more non immediate family guests present. In my county, the odds are 51% currently. It's crazy to think that if I had my usual extended multi family Thanksgiving over ten people, there would be an over 50% chance that one person was Covid positive and a possible spreader. I know a large number of shoppers at my store are still doing large holiday gatherings despite the risks. I think we will see numbers of positive cases truly explode over the coming weeks. It's great news that vaccines are being approved, but they will take many months to make a dent. It's like the old saying, "It's darkest before the dawn."

Have a good day all!
Old 11-19-2020, 01:09 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
p***enger

Old 11-20-2020, 03:33 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks to the pandemic, I've decided not to travel to Minnesota for Thanksgiving next week. Am still hoping to make it home for Christmas. Haven't seen Mom in nearly a year.

I'll be hosting a Zoom meeting on Sunday for some fellow music chart nerds. Should be fun!

Have a great weekend, all!
Old 11-20-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I think that's smart FBL.

Have fun with the music nerds, lol!
Old 11-26-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Best wishes for a Thanksgiving holiday that can be as good as it can be. Hopefully, normalcy will be restored next year.

Take care all!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
p***enger

In the bad old days, I never liked holidays, and Thanksgiving in particular. Since getting sober, thanksgiving has become a very different day. Giving thanks is good and something everyone no matter their wealth or poverty can do. Today will be even a little sweeter to me than most Thanksgivings, because I'm so aware of what I've been given, and what's kept me safe and well so far -- family, job, first-world health care, science, police and fire fighters, and friends, including all of you on SR.

Be well and have a lovely day!

Old 11-26-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend everyone

D
Old 11-28-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Me and Ev did another video yesterday, this one discussing setting healthy boundaries.

Setting Healthy Boundaries
Old 11-28-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks, FBL!

I'd send you links to my statistics playlists, but some of them show pictures of my students so I can't. Plus why in the world would you want to watch those?
Old 11-29-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Apparently my state has sent out letters to the heads of hospitals and nursing homes telling them that they expect the medical system within the state to collapse by January and to schedule any elective procedures as quickly as possible. My local hospital is at full capacity already. Guess that colonoscopy will just have to wait a little longer.

Glad you had a good chat FBL.

Courage, I bet I would enjoy a chunk of your playlist.

Thanksgiving was low key, but still a lot of work. It's a holiday that involves as much effort whether you are cooking for five or fifteen. Lots of food prep and clean up. All for twelve minutes of dining. At least there are leftovers.

Have a good day all!
Old 11-29-2020, 03:23 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Unhappy

How could i fall into addiction after watching my dad go through it growing up and everything he gave up for it?
Old 11-29-2020, 03:24 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone and happy late Thanksgiving, im new here