Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #11

Old 09-08-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

All of the above too. So difficult to pick one, they're all so great in their own way.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Albeit crazy...I'm all in for a game of "alcohol that I've stolen'" - (story must accompany)
Haha, it started in maybe 7th grade by stealing cases of beer off the beer trucks that were parked for delivery at various bars in town. We'd pilfer then stash them in abandoned houses. These luke-warm beer parties were of legend!

Or, how about~~~you know you're still an alkie when:
...you finally fold all of last week's clean clothes and less than one day later... voilą.

Happy Tuesday/Monday, all.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Hi Carlos! Your post made me . I remember when I almost never folded my laundry for a while! It's sad we were there, but in hindsight, we certainly did some "interesting/strange" things I'm sure! Glad we're all sober now and working hard to stay that way.
Hope you're well. So glad to hear from you!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:07 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
p***enger

I was stealing liquor at 14, for sure.

Don't know what kind of smiley to put after that, so I won't.

Beatle, always George.

The age demo is from 22 through 45. One of the things I'm interested in is, who knows about any of this stuff anymore? If they want, they can answer by hairstyle. I'm also asking them Elvis/Prince/Michael J, Harold & Kumar vs. Harold & Maude, and

Name these:

Old 09-08-2020, 08:48 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

Real names or spice names? LOL

D
Old 09-08-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'll let you know how many come up with either, tomorrow night
Old 09-09-2020, 03:58 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hard to believe the Spice Girls started nearly 25 years ago! No wonder I feel like an old man these days.

I'm grateful that my job keeps me up to date on the latest songs and artists, even if I can't personally relate to much of it. Yes, I know who Megan Thee Stallion and BTS are, so I guess that counts for something, right?!?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

It's a little after 9 am here and it is very dark and orangey outside. I need to go pick up some prescriptions, but I don't want to really go out in that gunk yet. It's a little scary. I'm hoping some of the smoke clears later. It is the most peculiar feeling for it to be early in the morning, dark with smoke and an orange sun.
I've been struggling with anxiety lately about leaving the house. All this gunk and irritants in the air has made me kind of feel sickish the last few days. Sometimes staying home all the time isn't the best thing for me, but what can we do? We're still on lockdown and with fires and horrible air quality, they advise people not to go out. Pretty soon, I will gut up and get out there. It would be nice if it weren't so dark outside.
Sorry to be a bummer, but between the pandemic and the terrible fires and dealing with stuff I just don't feel like I have the energy to do. Onward and upward. There are people who struggle with much more than I do and they manage to get past agoraphobia or whatever this is and do what they have to. I've been struggling physically and emotionally these last couple of days. But hope springs eternal.
Thank you for being here. Much love and peace to you all. I'm glad I can come here to some really great people.
25 years since the Spice Girls. Wow. Makes me feel kind of old too. Cour, you find the most interesting pics and bits of knowledge. ♥
Have a great day all and I'm hoping we get some light today. It is still pitch dark/orange outside. So freaking weird. Love and peace to all my friends here.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
p***enger

Aly, I'll post more later.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
p***enger

Aly, I hadn't realized how bad things had gotten in California until your very vivid description. (I'm still avoiding the news.) It would make anyone anxious and depressed -- looking at photographs and video, it looks so scary and weird, I can barely imagine how hellish it must be to live in -- literally, like living in someone's vision of fire and brimstone. Can you talk to a doctor?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:28 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think of you Aly hope the fire danger passes soon

D
Old 09-10-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I watched some videos this morning of the orange clad skies of San Fran. It is eerily surreal to see and must be scary to exist in. I imagine the air must be harsh to inhale. Please be safe Aly.

How did the quizzes go Courage?
Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all of your support. It is very freakish right now.
Luckily I have an appointment with my psychiatrist in a week or so. He always makes me feel better. I'm kind of wondering if I should get a therapist again, as my psychiatrist's time is limited. We talk and stuff,but I think maybe right now I should see if I can get someone to talk to more often. Good idea.
I hope you all are doing well. All my love to my favorite peeps.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
p***enger

I've been thinking the same thing, Aly. Reluctant -- it would take so long for me to build trust, and what if it backfires by aggravating resentments without resolution? I know you understand.

I hope you find someone good, if you decide to look.

xxxooo
Old 09-10-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Thank you, Cour. Yes, I do understand. Just finding the right one can take some time. I'm hoping my shrink can give me some good referrals. I am reluctant too for so many reasons, but I am hoping it may help me right now. We'll see. Good luck to you to should you decide to choose that direction as well.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
p***enger

I posted this on a gratitude thread, but just have to share it again, so amazing:

Today the fruit seller outside my work building called me "my friend." And the man who bags groceries told the man ringing them up that I was a nice lady. And I came out of the neighborhood playlot/park behind a fellow with his family, who was thanking the park custodian for his service. Wow.

And an unknown someone sent me a box of fancy chocolates! No note, no occasion. Such a thing has never happened in my life. Who?
Old 09-11-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Cour has a secret admirer!!! Unless you find out who it was, you'll have to tell us. ♥♥♥
How sweet and very nice that people were actually responding the positive energy you were putting out! Yay.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ actually, I took today to mean that there actually *are* nice people in the world. My energy has been anything but positive lol
Old 09-11-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Well, I'm glad people were nice to you anyway, dear one!

And thankfully there are some really good people out there!
Old 09-13-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
p***enger

Mystery solved. Just when I was about to throw them out for fear of poisoned injected into their centers -- a classic trick -- and start freaking out about stalkers. An old grad-school classmate and colleague of mine from Roumania -- grew up under Ceaușescu. The poor thing got out of Roumania after Ceaușescu fell, earned a Ph.D, a tenured position at a university, and US citizenship after years of struggle and poverty -- and is back there now in a tiny village, taking care of her old mother, who refuses to come to the US. It's a sad story. And she should be sending me presents!?!

Yesterday I met with a colleague in the afternoon. We shared space face-2-face for several hours, working on a project, maskless. It was only the fourth time I've talked to someone other than my husband in the flesh, without a mask, in 6 months, and the first time indoors. It was so good.