Notices

Class of May 2020 Part 5

Old 06-10-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 17. Although I am counting my sober days, I had to look at a calendar to determine what day of the week it is. It really doesn't matter to me. I have no obligations or schedule for anything. Retail stores have opened up but other than that, Toronto is still essentially shut down. I am determined to leverage this to my advantage as it is a perfect time to get my sober legs under me before things like professional sports and bars open up.

Have a good day class. (Good night to the Aussies and Kiwis!)
Old 06-10-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Free.

Ok.....first off....if my boss asks, you haven’t seen me here today. As far a you know I’ve been working diligently.

Coz: yes, I thought weenie roast might lose something in translation. It is cooking a hot dog or smokie over the fire on a stick or skewer. What is this called down-under? (not the most healthful, but fun)

Glad you’re feeling good Karen.

Yes, avatar pic is me. I tend to vacillate between handlebar moustache and goatie. I do smile sometimes as well.

Take care all.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

TC lol your secret is safe with me.

Coz that deck is awesome!

WL congrats on 17 days.

I'm sort of okay and sort of having a tough time. I'm trying to justify drinking, and trying to hang on to reasons not to drink. Bit of a see saw. I think my motivation is low- I'm alone, isolated, no work, I can only bike so much. I biked 24 km today, that was the most I've done. By the waterfront, it was nice. But still a lot of time to fill.

I have a list of things to do to keep me occupied but I could chuck all of it and it would be fine, it's all just killing time.

Sorry I feel like a downer today. At the moment the only thing that is stopping me from drinking is how I would feel if I had to start all over again.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Maria, I'm sorry you're having a struggle! I am sending you a giant hug and a prayer. Boredom is a huge trigger. I never realized that until I stopped working. I have a lot to do, too, but like you, nothing that just has to be done.
Of course, the important thing is getting through today sober so that your life, health and everything else has a chance to get better. Have you listened to any of the sobriety podcasts? Also, there are some great recovery videos on Youtube. One of my favorites, it's really short, too, is Relapse Prevention: Early Warning Signs and Important Coping Skills. Also, Michael Singer did a talk on spirituality called, Resilience and Surrender in Challenging Times. It's excellent. Then, you can always watch a movie or read a book. Or give yourself a spa afternoon with a hot bath and do your hair and nails, etc.
I am truly praying for you and wishing you strength and comfort.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I hear you Maria. I am also going nuts with boredom. Drinking relieves the boredom but I can't stop once I start and I can't handle another detox. The mental anguish after a bender is unbearable.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Free.

Maria: yes, tough thing, boredom.
Isolation might be a good time to jump into some personal or professional development ideas.

Ever said “When I get a chance (time) I’d really like to _______ .” ?

I downloaded a free language app. Been doing that daily for 10 or 11 weeks now. Fun.
Music lessons. Ted Talks videos. Epic fail videos.

Some boredom is WAY, WAY, WAY better than an alcoholic death.

Have a safe, solid day.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Karen- I did listen that podcast, it helped. I do have some work training and stuff to do so I'm slowly chipping away at stuff like that. It's just not very fun, but yep I will sleep better at the end of it then if I drank.

I got out for a walk to a fruit store so I guess my strategy is to exhaust myself. Walking on top of the biking. Also booked a dentist appointment for tomorrow, first time since pandemic hit so I don't want to be in the dentist hung over lol. Bought a bunch of fruit- watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, peaches and nectarines. Also got an avocado, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes. Will make a big salad tomorrow ...
Old 06-10-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsmaria View Post
TC lol your secret is safe with me.

Coz that deck is awesome!

WL congrats on 17 days.

I'm sort of okay and sort of having a tough time. I'm trying to justify drinking, and trying to hang on to reasons not to drink. Bit of a see saw. I think my motivation is low- I'm alone, isolated, no work, I can only bike so much. I biked 24 km today, that was the most I've done. By the waterfront, it was nice. But still a lot of time to fill.

I have a list of things to do to keep me occupied but I could chuck all of it and it would be fine, it's all just killing time.

Sorry I feel like a downer today. At the moment the only thing that is stopping me from drinking is how I would feel if I had to start all over again.
You are not a downer at all....more of an inspiration love. s

We are all going to need to get a lot more hobbies/interests passions that keep us busy.....really, what is the alternative if you live in America? Or Canada....both countries are still doing careful shutdowns/re-openings.

For me, grateful that the BMV is reopening for drivers license testing here again so I can get my Ohio license....that gives me all of the freedom I need. I have loads of things I want to do but I need to drive....I have always loved driving, but it took a good while to get used to being on the other side of the road (and car).....
Old 06-10-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I hear you Maria. I am also going nuts with boredom. Drinking relieves the boredom but I can't stop once I start and I can't handle another detox. The mental anguish after a bender is unbearable.
I don't understand the boredom part.....sorry, but I don't. What is different now that is making you feel that way? s xx
Old 06-10-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a bad day maria but great you came on here and wrote it down. Some great ideas from Karen and your fruit and veg purchases sound delicious

I am having thoughts of drinking at the weekend. By Friday i will have done a full week at work. So the AV starts. you deserve a drink, you've done a full week, you've not drunk for a month so you can't REALLY have a problem. Just drink 2 nights a week at the weekend when you don't have work in the morning?

see how cunning it is. yesterday no thoughts and now this? Craziness. I will come here and write down any thoughts I have. Please forgive me in advance if I rant and witter on a bit too much but it helps me and hopefully will help others.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Oh rant on.....

And yes, it is craziness.

Why doesn't the stupid AV voice go all the way and say.....you don't need to live, don't be ridiculous. It's overrated. Let's just party as hard as we can till we drop....who cares????

That may not be your truth at this point, but it is mine.
I don't think about I deserve to drink....I do think that I deserve to live.
That's precious to me. ❤️
Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus. I love that. I don't deserve to drink. I deserve to live. Very profound and very true, thank you

I know, for me, it is all about AVRT and I read it over and over again. The R stands for recognition. Recognizing the AV for what it is. It will appear, it does appear but recognize it and don't give it any power. The AV is often there, jumping up, often pouncing when we least expect it, although it does reduce massively over time. The AV wants a drink. but I don't drink. Great book btw
Old 06-10-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Coming to the end of day 24!

Another busy day in work, some things are a bit annoying but I just leave it at work. Glad that it's coming closer to the weekend! Definitely noticing my skin feeling better, not as dry and when I take trousers off, there's no dry skin! (Yes, a horrible admission but there it goes)
One good thing about work though is that it stops.me from all day snacking lol plus it keeps my mind distracted...I do get thoughts but that's all they are and I realise that something that took me years to make a nightly habit isn't going to be easy to erase in days or a few weeks...it too will take time and will power.
Well, night everyone!
Old 06-10-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Nite dear Zombie. ❤️
Old 06-10-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Night Zombie! Sweet dreams.
I do understand the boredom. Sometimes I think it's partly depression, because there are so many things I could do and would like to do, but I don't. Instead I feel lost and bored. It's nuts, for sure. I need to do some thinking on it.
I also have started doing a free language app. It is fun, and works well, too.
I never did make the omelette, Venus. I will try again tomorrow.
Going to watch the news. See you all later!
Old 06-10-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I will post my omelette with pics and steps....never ever thought I would make something that I am so proud of.....I grew up with a mum who was the best cook ever, and I am glad her genes and everything she taught me is finally being put to use. s

The news you say....

Nope. I tried. It is nuts. s xx
Old 06-10-2020, 03:34 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I think the boredom is bc everything here is still closed. You can't even sit in a coffee shop. A few shops are open but there are lines to get in. No sports. I'm a rabid baseball and basketball fan and probably that took up like half my time. Gyms closed etc.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I get that. And I wish I could say it was the same here, but everything is pretty much open.
Including coffee shops with outdoor seating at a distance. It's great for the human spirit. People need this...I get that. ❤️
Old 06-10-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

I am another one with the boredom going crazy thing. We are still on pretty strict lock down. I drove around today just to get outside by myself and see what is open, and..... nada.... so much stuff is still closed. It is wearing on me.

I am at the point where I am not thinking much of the day count anymore, I have to go and look, which is an added bonus. So after looking at calendar, it is end of day 18.

I've been dealing with a chest cold and headache for past day or two, and a low fever last night, so I am not real active reading here today, so that isn't helping my mood.

I wanted to post to stay accountable. Take care everyone.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Maria- I hope you can make it through this tough time. I try to think of it like- okay I’m going to go through the hell of the first 12 hours. The first day. The first two days. All over again. I’m not going to be happy I had a drink the night before when I wake up the next morning. Someone mentioned on the board yesterday about watching youtube videos about alcoholism. I had not thought of that but I did and found some fascinating videos. It is a great time passer as well. Wishing you the best of luck. You got this!

Coz- that deck is amazing. I’ve been thinking about it for days. I even started pricing wood to build a little floating deck and watching videos. LOL. I know I won’t do it but it is fun to imagine it. I think I could nail the boards down on top but the hard part of all that leveling and starting boards is so over my head. Some people can build and others can just be in awe.

WL- glad you are making it through the boredom and not drinking!

Zombie- Congrats on day 24. Many more.

Mystified- So glad you got a sign from your Mom. Take care.

RAL- a BIG congrats on the BIG 30! It will be 60 before you know it.

Dee- Thanks for all that you do!

Karen- I take it Charley is doing well? I’m with you. Still thinking about that omelette.

VenusCat- I hope you get your DL soon! I imagine getting used to driving on the opposite side would take some practice. I can’t wait for the pics!

Didit- I’ll join you on 18. I literally have to check my calendar to be sure I’m on the right day. Good luck getting over your cold. It took me a while to get over mine.

Day 18. Good day. Nothing exciting. Worked on staking my tomatoes a bit more today. Was in the mood to bake so I baked a lemon pound cake. As if that wasn’t enough. I made strawberry topping and fresh whipped cream. It was incredible. I gave most of it away to neighbors and friends. Baking seems to be a lost art with many of my friends so it’s nice surprising people with fresh baked goodies. Did a little yoga. Trying to incorporate a few light weights into some arm exercises. I think I’ve mentioned before that for the past 1.5 years I’ve had problems with my shoulders. They’ve been better in the past few months since doing daily bone broth and stretching. I’m sure the lack of alcohol consumption will help as well.\

Looked up my doctors appointment for my cardiologist and it is next month. So at least I will not have been drinking when I see him again. It feels so good to go to the doctor when you haven’t been drinking. Actually I don’t go at all when I have. It feels awesome to fill out paperwork and be able to say that you drink 0 times a week. Simple pleasures.

Everyone have a great sober day.

Hope