Notices

Class of May 2020 Part 5

Old 06-16-2020, 09:02 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
I have to go pretend I'm a settler and shoot at zombies with my grandson. See you all later!
I was a bit slow on comprehension here. I thought 'our' zombie was in trouble!
Old 06-16-2020, 09:24 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by didit4meXO View Post
I think it is HALT, a hunger I can't satisfy with food, it is an inner hunger for something..... yet to be determined, guess part of the process. Anger and lonely, yea, quitting drinking makes me feel great and hopeful, but now I need some change in my life and lifestyle, have for awhile now.
Thanks Didit for your thoughts on that feeling of being a bit unsettled and thoughts spinning.

I'm no expert in how our mind works at the best of times, but I have figured out that something very different happens in early recovery - or at least it did for me. I guess our brains are getting a real chance at doing what they are meant to do rather than being alcohol-sedated.

t's a bit novel (and frightening) to be experiencing all emotions, and to start thinking about who I really am and which path to take to make a better life. I've been winging it for a while and making decisions based on the moment in time. I'm OK with that to a certain extent, but I sure don't want decisions to drink or not to fall into that category, and I would like a vague plan to get to my destination - but I also don't now where I'm trying to get to. So for me, my unsettled moments are about the uncertainty ahead. I like plans and being able to adapt them to changing circumstances or goals, but lacking any idea on the starting end point at the moment.

I'm sorry that was very rambly - I knew what I was trying to say, but didn't do so well putting it into words.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:55 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can pinpoint whats rattling you didit4me - knowing that will help you deal with it

D
Old 06-16-2020, 10:21 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Free.

Recognizing some PAWs symptoms lately.
I don’t want to be surprised by any, so I’ve replaced my profile pic with a symptoms list.
A couple of taps and the list is right there.

Don’t have much else to say.

Have a splendid next 24 hrs everyone!

p.s. I’ve always thought that ‘anhedonia’ would be a good album name.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:19 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks TC - I reckon I have all of those symptoms to some degree - many to a high degree.

But, regardless if its PAWS or not, something I need to work through. I'd prefer to not add another labelled 'illness' to my growing collection - so opting to not call it PAWS for me. It is a good list of symptoms and I would think that most SR members would relate.

Have you got any good tips on managing PAWS?

Old 06-16-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Morning all

Coz-your post made me chuckle. I've been complaining about the heat and it is about 18-22 For us that is lying out in the garden in swimsuit weather And unable to sleep at night cos of the heat Can imagine you in winter woollies now

Fallow-that must be really difficult. Although as she doesn't drink much then next time she does you will have a decent sobriety foundation and can be honest about how much better you feel and not drink.

Well I slept through the night, didn't even wake once which is unheard of for me. Feel like a new person though back a bit twisty from lifting a box of plants out of the car. The cat decided she liked the look of them and climbed in too. Very cute.

Dig-hope you had a great evening in the pool.

WL-hope you got your new phone ok.

hope everyone has a good day/evening.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:55 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Double posting again. See technology and me do not mix. was trying to upload a picture of the cat but too big so won't work. Never mind

So great to read all your posts first thing in the morning. Thanks to all of you and SR and Dee for keeping us on the right path.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:00 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Not that the cat is too big. The file of the photo
Old 06-17-2020, 12:23 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Thanks TC - I reckon I have all of those symptoms to some degree........
Have you got any good tips on managing PAWS?
Managing, for me, means being aware that they exist. I felt powerless when I didn’t understand my alcoholism, then empowered, once informed. I think the same applies here, with PAWs.

I was advised to eat well, take some vitamins, and get enough sleep.
(I consistently do at least one of these). (It’s the vitamins)

The symptoms may come, but recognizing the symptom when it hits will keep me from freaking out about it.

Cheers.
( Is Cheers a bad salutation/closing to use at SR?)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks TC - a couple of comments:
  • Agree - understanding the 'symptom' for what it is is a great starting point - although can still sometimes be consuming.
  • Weenies on the fire IS good food - at least for comfort and relaxation.
  • Sleep is over-rated - although I wouldn't mind trying it sometime.
  • Cheers is great - so much better than Fears.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:45 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  
Coz

RAL - you are funny
Need to see a photo of the not so fat cat now! You can reduce the size in most photo apps using your excellent technology skills
Old 06-17-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Day 31, had a good sleep- decided to sleep in for a bit.
its a bit cooler here which helps me a lot.
Yesterday after dinner I had a lovely nap, which is worlds away from how I was when I was drinking. I think the humidity has made me more tired of late but sleep itself is so much better than previously and clearly the naps mean I must need some rest. Maybe as well because I've been busy that I'm a bit more tired. However, the rest is very welcome:-)
Old 06-17-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hi, I would like to join this thread if possible. I was in an earlier thread but I drank for one night, so I have now I am on day 33.
I have been voraciously reading this thread and will share a bit of my story later. I am also giving up smoking and am on day 23 of that.
Will share more as I progress, but would like to get to know everyone first.
One thing that I have learned (and I have much to learn) is that there is a vast difference between deciding to "stop drinking" (which, for me, implies that it is only temporary and I will "one day" try to drink again--not possible), and sobriety, which is living a sober, clean life, having a plan, and making the commitment to better yourself and focus on the day with the intent of never drinking again. I am here for sobriety. After 33 days I am already reaping great rewards.
Thanks,
Og
Old 06-17-2020, 04:09 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
nmd

Hey gang - haven't posted in a while out of frustration, my last post was a long one that got lost in posting glitch. going on 3weeks and a few days sober now

working at home all the time is strange. I deal with people via email most of the time anyways, but it takes away any of the human interaction that was there. The occasional zoom meeting doesn't quite do it. I'm more productive, but it definitely blurs work/life boundaries and can create misunderstandings. No date yet on returning to the office

keeping busy with exercise and getting stuff done around the house. had a spontaneous night away as a cottage this past weekend which was welcomed. leaving any chores at home and getting away for a day helped me relax a bit. Like work, it's good to have some separation sometimes otherwise everything just seems to blur together

tried sharing a couple photos from my garden before, let's see if this goes though

this is an arbor I made with a wisteria climbing on it entering the veggie garden. some rhubarb, herbs and tomatoes:

raised bed made from bricks, rocks, hunks of concrete and whatever was available (squash&cucumbers):

clematis in full bloom:

the girls asking to come out:

small fish/frog pond I put in last year and a mallard duck visitting:

Old 06-17-2020, 04:30 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Coz

Welcome to the May 2020 class Og!

33 days is fantastic - congratulations on a great start to a sober life

I look forward to hearing your story when you are ready.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Coz

Really great to hear from you nmd . I think you last posted when you were two weeks sober.

Your garden and the work you have done looks fantastic - that clematis is beautiful.

I had to work from home in my last job which I had only started a week before the lock down. I too am productive working from home, but I found it really hard being so new at the job and not knowing really knowing my colleagues. I had a huge learning curve to climb and was working really long hours - no work/life balance and no time to read and post regularly on SR. I started drinking again about three weeks into the job, which turned into drinking all day pretty quickly - too easy to do at home alone everyday and not having much personal time to focus on my continued recovery. I was going downhill fast, so ended up resigning so I could focus on me and quitting drinking for good. I am sure you won't fall into the same trap I did, but try hard to find time to do things you like and check in with your support crew (like here!).

Hope it's not so long between posts this time (closest emoticon I could find to a wink!)
Old 06-17-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
Recognizing some PAWs symptoms lately.
I don’t want to be surprised by any, so I’ve replaced my profile pic with a symptoms list.
A couple of taps and the list is right there.

Don’t have much else to say.

Have a splendid next 24 hrs everyone!

p.s. I’ve always thought that ‘anhedonia’ would be a good album name.
I agree that "anhedonia" would be a good album name as well, lol. And, since you are a carpenter, the band would HAVE to be TOOL!
Old 06-17-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Same for me didit - I like two hands and a big screen for my aging eyes.
Coming to the party late to answer this question....I use mostly my laptop (now), but I can easily post from my phone and tablet and the site is the same on both....desktop version, xept I use Chrome browser here and Firefox on the tablet and phone. Plus, it is easy for me to post on my phone as I use Swype....so I can type with either hand pretty easily.

Back to reading your posts.... ❤️
Old 06-17-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I am not usually this behind, but I had so much to read that I can't remember anything I wanted to say.

Oglsby....great to see you here and this is just wonderful I think..... s

One thing that I have learned (and I have much to learn) is that there is a vast difference between deciding to "stop drinking" (which, for me, implies that it is only temporary and I will "one day" try to drink again--not possible), and sobriety, which is living a sober, clean life, having a plan, and making the commitment to better yourself and focus on the day with the intent of never drinking again. I am here for sobriety. After 33 days I am already reaping great rewards.

nmd ~ hi, I missed you. Glad you are OK. And WOW WOW WOW....so incredible. Adore the pond, loved the chickens the most.

And I had one of those cats, the ones that are too big to fit in the picture. he he he.

Awesome posts.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

I most like need to read your post again dear Coz, but my head is asking why can't you make a plan?
I am a plan person as well. Plan for the day, the week, the next month....etc. Even though I don't quite know where I am going so to speak, I can still make goals along the way. Which is probably off point. s And love and goodnight, and love and good morning dear Karen. s