Notices

Class of May 2020 Part 5

Old 06-08-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well I am the wrong person to answer that question cos that thread is no 1 for me in recovery tools.
I am sure there are a few of those here on SR, but I have one I have been on for many years.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks Suze. You are definitely not the wrong person to my question! It is great to know that you use it as an important tool. I guess I am looking at all tools and strategies to make sobriety work for me and hence I was curious about the 24 hour thread and if it was useful making that written commitment (as I just did with my 'to do' list for today).

Old 06-08-2020, 04:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Coz I feel like when I post in any thread I am making a commitment. So I do feel like that is important and I have used the 24 hour thread in the past and it helped me to give me that feeling of commitment. Lately I've used the monthly support threads and it gives me the same feeling.

Using both would be an added layer which could help if struggling
Old 06-08-2020, 05:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Coz- congratulations on 1 month! That is awesome.

Karen- Two months! YES! Great job.

RAL- 28 Days. So amazing. Awesome that you can see it in the mirror as well as feel it in your body. I have never heard of Radox bath but I do love a good hot bath.

Zombie- Lucky 22! Great job.

LadyLily1-Day 47 is such an achievement.

WL - Congrats on 15! 30 is just around the corner.

VenusCat- seems like you had an awesome sponsor.

So many great success stories here.

Time4Change- Don’t be so hard on yourself. We fall down. We get back up. Just try to forget the down time and get back up! You can do it.

Itsmaria- just concentrate on the day. I found it easier to go for hours in the beginning. Then I moved to days and finally weeks. Just don’t put too much pressure on yourself and celebrate every milestone.

I'm on day 15. Been raining cats and dogs here for days. We need rain so much and geez when it comes it just doesn't stop. Had to go out in the storm and stake my tomatoes because the ones with tomatoes were falling over from all the rain. Had a tornado warning - take shelter alert on Saturday which scared the daylights out of me. Luckily it did not happen at my house.

I'm hanging in there. Happy to be sober. I've been a bit concerned lately thinking that a couple of friends were coming in town next week for a night and that I would be taking them out to dinner and the drinking thing was driving me nuts in my mind trying to imagine myself handling it. It has really stressed me out a bit for the past week. The Universe worked on my behalf yesterday and their trip was cancelled. Although I would love to see them, I just don't feel ready at this stage in my recovery.
Anyway, I'm doing good. This is my third day in a row with no extra blood pressure meds. Not to say that I won't need some next week or even tomorrow but last week I had more days that I didn't than I did and that makes me extremely happy. I think I finally got rid of the darned cold that was making me miserable. Did some cookie baking for friends yesterday. I love baking and making people happy with little surprises.
So all in all it was a great sober weekend! Thank you all for your posts and support! Off to have another cup of tea.
Hope
Old 06-08-2020, 06:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Free.

Congrats: WL, Maria, venus, karen, RAL, erfra, Zombie, Coz, Mysti, Dee, Dig, and everyone-on another day sober!!
Yippee us!

Coz: I really like your post. The idea that forever sober is the goal, while enjoying the milestones.
I do use the 24hr commitment site. I actually take that commitment quiet seriously. When the day came where morning sobriety wasn’t looking certain, I stared at the ‘submit’ button for quite a while. I feel that I won’t commit just to fail. I’ve let myself down too many times, just don’t wanna again. So....for me, yes it is a very useful tool.

Be well sober friends.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm glad for you that your friends canceled, Hope. That does sound like a hard thing to do early on. And, there's still the virus, although maybe where you are it has gotten much less dangerous.
I love the 24 hour thread, too. It helps to commit 'out loud', and then sometimes people do post about things, too.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,
This thread moves so quickly we are in another new thread Just shows how everyone is participating!
Congratulations to everyone adding up your days!

Originally Posted by HopefulYear777 View Post
I'm on day 15.
Hope
I think you mean 16. At least I am counting that it is day 16, I may be wrong, but I thought we were on the same day? But then again I thought last Friday was the 13th.

Just a quick drop in to keep accountable.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

All caught up on my SR reading! Hope everyone is well regardless of where you're at in your battle

ZZZ from Canada, eh!
Old 06-08-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness. I did mean 16. Shorting myself. LOL Thank you!
Hope
Old 06-08-2020, 09:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by didit4meXO View Post
Hello everyone,
This thread moves so quickly we are in another new thread Just shows how everyone is participating!
Congratulations to everyone adding up your days!

I think you mean 16. At least I am counting that it is day 16, I may be wrong, but I thought we were on the same day? But then again I thought last Friday was the 13th.

Just a quick drop in to keep accountable.
You are so right. I thought it was Friday the 13th as well. Geez! I am on day 16. I'll dare I short myself. I need every day I can get. Congrats on 16 for you too. Club 16!
Hope
Old 06-08-2020, 09:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Karen, Things are open but I was hoping to go to a restaurant with social distancing and be very careful. I haven't been to one so far- only pickup at one place. We eat in 99% of the time. I'm relieved for the drinking reason and also the virus.

Hope
Old 06-08-2020, 09:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Yesterday ended up being Not So Good but I did not drink over it.

Sometimes life just serves you up a plate of crap to keep you on your toes. Amirite?

It was nothing major, parenting is hard sometimes, but I overreacted and needed to apologise. Something I wouldn't have done out of sheer stubborness in my drinking days. So I apologised for my overreaction, explained that what they did was inconsiderate but that it didn't justify my mean behaviour.

I do however need to have a think about why I overreacted in the first place though. I journaled on it this morning but my conclusion didn't feel quite right.

Does anyone else journal about their feelings and try to understand themselves better using that method?

Sending virtual hugs to all my classmates today. I hope you can feel them.

Last edited by mystified; 06-08-2020 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Clarity & typo
Old 06-08-2020, 10:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Mystified,
i keep a journal, last week there were quite a few instances where I did think about drink but I wrote in it and sometimes I look back at the initial few days and how I wasn't feeling good in comparison to how I feel now and then I realise, I don't want to go backwards. I think writing it down is a good process. :-)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Morning everyone

Many congrats on 1 month sober Coz I haven't used the 24 hr thread but if it helps you then it is a great idea to use it. I think weekenders is good for people too. I just stay in this class as it is smaller and I like smaller groups and knowing everyone. Part of my day is logging in here for posting first thing and last thing. Twice a day at least.

hopeful-thank you and many congrats on day 15 Radox is just a bubble bath or shower gel here in the UK. It has all different colours, smells and aims-muscle soak, relax, super relax, relieve anxiety

Day 29. Again, it feels amazing to wake up for work with a clear head and no fogginess or panicking about the night before. My new jigsaw arrived yesterday so I started it last night together with reading my new book once Mr Ral had retired and Jr Ral was online with friends.(Thank goodness for the xbox in times of lockdown!)
Anyway, off to work soon so will check in later.

Take care all.x

Old 06-08-2020, 11:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mystified View Post
Yesterday ended up being Not So Good but I did not drink over it.

Sometimes life just serves you up a plate of crap to keep you on your toes. Amirite?

It was nothing major, parenting is hard sometimes, but I overreacted and needed to apologise. Something I wouldn't have done out of sheer stubborness in my drinking days. So I apologised for my overreaction, explained that what they did was inconsiderate but that it didn't justify my mean behaviour.

I do however need to have a think about why I overreacted in the first place though. I journaled on it this morning but my conclusion didn't feel quite right.

Does anyone else journal about their feelings and try to understand themselves better using that method?

Sending virtual hugs to all my classmates today. I hope you can feel them.
Myst-I think parenting is hard at the best of times but in lockdown with schooling etc it is just horrendous. Please don't be hard on yourself for struggling and how you reacted. Sounds like you dealt with it well, apologising. None of us are perfect and our kids know that and are pretty resilient Be kind to yourself too
Old 06-09-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Work has been busy and last night I was wrecked, went to bed before my usual time. Today is more of the same but I can handle it, it's just with more on, I'm a bit tired but still focused to stay sober and improve my diet:-)
Old 06-09-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey Mysti, I do journal, and it helps a lot. I've been forgetting it for the past few days, thanks for the reminder. I agree with RAL, go really easy on yourself. I think it's wonderful you apologized. That can be hard to do but shows you truly care. Hugs to you!
Congrats on 16 days, Didit and Hope!
Congrats on one month Coz and 29 days, RAL. And congrats to all on your milestones.
Zombie, I hope today is not as tiring. Tired can be a trigger, as I'm sure you know. Take extra good care of yourself, please.
Hugs to all, see you later!
Old 06-09-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsmaria View Post
Lily is your spreadsheet just tracking each day? I'm a big fan of spreadsheets lol.
I have an Excel spreadsheet with columns for date, day of week, a day counter, and space for conditions/notes. And yeah, I go in and fill in each day.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So many milestones and excellent continuing day counts--awesome!

It's going to be a scorcher here today, so we'll be spending the afternoon inside. But right now, coffee on the deck while it's only 70 degrees. We may go on a ride in the country this afternoon. We had a dinner reservation for this evening, made optimistically 2 months ago, but I cancelled it a couple of days ago. We aren't ready for that yet. It's been many years since we cooked this much at home.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I seem to have the same weather as you dear Lily.

But for me, as an Aussie, this weather is a huge relief as the humidity is finally 50% and below again.
Hope you have a lovely day. ❤️