Notices

Class of May 2020 Part 5

Old 06-09-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
What about eggs? I am the omelette queen...and not the folded kind of omelette that is more breakfasty in my mind....I do (for my husband) a three-egg omelette with two types of mushrooms, baby spinach, cheese slices (white cheddar only that I have to buy from a restaurant supply store) and tomato slices (big thick ones). I cook it on the stove top with a lid, medium heat for 15 mins and it puffs up under the lid and is the most beautiful thing....to look at and taste. I finish it off with a few extra bits of spinach in the centre and a little bit of grated parmesan. And I serve it with some really nice bread toasted. (For my husband, that is way too much for me).

Anyway, it is yummy and filling and very healthy. s
You are making me extremely hungry! That sounds devine!
Old 06-09-2020, 04:57 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

You made my day....it is my pride and joy. I will post a pic next time I make it.
One of the reasons it is so important to me is that my simple cheese and tomato omelettes (back in Australia) got me through many months of early sobriety when I barely had enough money to get by....and now I have added to them and made them something I excel at....it is a constant reminder of the changes I have made.....always makes me feel grateful
Old 06-09-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

{test}
Old 06-09-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
You made my day....it is my pride and joy. I will post a pic next time I make it.
One of the reasons it is so important to me is that my simple cheese and tomato omelettes (back in Australia) got me through many months of early sobriety when I barely had enough money to get by....and now I have added to them and made them something I excel at....it is a constant reminder of the changes I have made.....always makes me feel grateful
Would love to see a pic. I try to cook omlettes but mine typically turn out browner on the bottom than I would like. Maybe you know some secrets. I still make them. Just have to figure out how to cook perfectly.
Hope
Old 06-09-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I do indeed.....one of my proudest cooking tips.
I will share fully tomorrow....and again it is happy-making to share this stuff. ❤️
Old 06-09-2020, 06:29 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Day 17. Good day. I did something that I haven't done in I honestly do not remember when. I slept until noon! OMG. Not technically. I originally woke at 5. Took my doggie out and then she wanted to play in the bed for a while. Took me a while to get back to sleep. Finally fell asleep around seven. Woke again at 9 and walked past my hubby (said I looked like a zombie) to get a drink from the kitchen and went back to bed. Put on a podcast in my ear in and fell asleep. Had some interesting dreams about the person doing the podcast and going to her house for dinner and such. But when I finally woke up, I looked at the clock and it was 12 PM. Crazy. I don't feel bad. Sleep eludes me many times so it was quite a treat.
Good on the BP today so that was nice. Did a bit of work and then some cleaning. Lots of tea and LaCroix. No desire to drink.

Hope you all had an excellent day as well and that you all get lots of good sleep tonight. (My first attempt at a smiley. I'll try not to go crazy!)
Hope
Old 06-09-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

That is nice, RAL, getting to the end of the day and realizing you never thought of a drink. A true blessing of sobriety.
I'm off to sleep, see you all in the morning!
Old 06-09-2020, 08:41 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I had my first session today with my therapist. The same one that I flat out lied to last time I was "trying" to get sober. And it felt so good to flat out admit that to him. So we started anew. And the first area of discussion was around me not wanting to tell or talk to Mrs. Dig about this! So yes Karen and Venuscat -- I still haven't told the Mrs. Dig about all of this :S

I'm writing this out though for everyone because he made a very interesting point that he left me with and asked me to "let it marinate" a bit before deciding what I want to do. In short, we talked about being mindful of content and process when communicating with another person. So content for me is the "what" - I want to tell Mrs. Dig that I've stopped drinking. The process is the "why" - so I'm telling her because I'm proud of myself and I want her celebrate this with me and be on board with cheering me on whenever I need it. The "how" part is what troubles me because I fear a negative or zero reaction. So, I do need to figure that out -- for now I'm thinking I'll need to ensure it's a comfortable time for a conversation and I think I owe her a bit of an apology for the past and it has to be authentic and sincere. Struggling with the "how" for sure.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting way to really focus on how we communicate and I never thought of it like this before. Process and content.

For now though, sleep time in Canada, eh!!!

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe/sober.

ZZZ...

From Google though --> Essentially, content refers to “what” the client is saying, and process refers to “why” or “how” they are saying it.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:10 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Free.

So many people feeling good today.
Glad that blasted moon wained.

Had a really good day. Got some things accomplished. Did yard work. Worked a bit too hard.
Had a weenie roast in the firepit in our backyard today. Our doggies hung out with us too.

Didn’t plan or design anything and it turned out about as nice a day as I could ever ask for.

Stay well SRers.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Free.

Prayers for BeABetterMan (BABM). He’s more active on another thread, usually. Not so much lately.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:47 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
love is the answer

I blew off homeschooling yesterday and decided on a 'teacher training' day. Not much training going on to be honest, but we took the kids and the football out for a drive to the nearest high place and had a kick around for half an hour.

The place we visited has a war memorial on the top. It's a beautiful, round building with open sides allowing for a 360 view all round. On a clear day you can see the 5 surrounding counties. Always looking for teachable moments, I asked my 7yo to read the inscription on the raised dais in the centre of the structure and we had a few moments of silence just listening to the wind in the trees and watching the flag flapping and thinking of all the soldiers who gave their lives in wars gone by so we can live in peace today.

Then we took it in turns to roll down the hill and made ourselves dizzy.... because my kids are 7, 8 and 10 and they don't need to understand sacrifice yet.

It was an unusual day yesterday, and not one I'll forget in a hurry I don't think.

I also received a sign from my Mom at bedtime. On Monday night I was missing her terribly and fell asleep holding the ring of hers that I wear on a chain, and I asked, if she was able, could she send me a kingfisher.

Last night one of the last things I looked at on my phone was this

Old 06-09-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Morning all

Sounds like you had a a lovely day Hopeful and you sound happy and hopeful

Night Karen hope you sleep well.

I love omelettes Venus - that sounds divine and looking forward to recipe

Glad you had a good day TC - I always feel better when the full moon goes.

Dig-glad you had a good session with your therapist. I think knowing we cannot pre-empt another's reaction and not to have any expectation of what it might be helps enormously.

Day 30. Think that is 1 month Seems to have been longer. I was thinking of the things I am grateful for. For being here and for all on SR and your support. For not having any serious consequences of drinking. For health and making better choices. For having a job still. So much talk of redundancies here now when furloughing is over and companies can't afford to keep staff on or even realising they can do without some who were furloughed. I was furloughed and now back and determined to show that I am needed. Which I can only do and do a proper job when not drinking. I am even thinking maybe everything happens for a reason-we have all got sober during this crisis and maybe it is a wake up call for how precious life is and our health is and yet we damage it daily drinking and do not respect of cherish the fragility of life. Anyway, no more, we never have to drink again and can just get healthier as each day passes, facing up to whatever challenges come our way. I'm sleeping better, have peace of mind and look better. Weight loss stalled but that is because of eating cake and ice cream but can get to that soon.

Anyway, have a great day all.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:12 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats lovely mysti

congrats RAL!

D
Old 06-10-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

That is definitely a sign Mysti, hope you have a good day today
Old 06-10-2020, 04:49 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi May 2020 class

It would appear that we have survived the strawberry moon and mostly feeling much better than early this week. So nice to read lots of positive posts - rolling down hillsides, big sleep ins, good meeting with the therapist, puzzles and shopping, cooking, productive house and yard work and a general feeling that we are all getting some good days.

Congrats again on all your new day, week and month sober counts. Congrats on your 2 week milestone Kitten!

TC - what is a 'weenie roast'? Is it a little roast or a weaner beef roast, or a smoked sausage roast or something else? It sounds like a lovely way to spend some time outside around a fire.

Karen - I hope the doc comes up with something to make you feel better.

I am still in deck building mode, but also doing a bit of work in the gardens and the yard and have started on some furniture making - so much to do! I did finish the side deck yesterday (photos below) and now onto the deck around the spa.

Off to bed to start reading - Easy way to give up smoking (Allen Carr). The plan is to quit the smokes by the end of June.

Take care and stay sober.....

Old 06-10-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Coz

I've just noticed - TC - you have a new avatar - is that really you? Cool mo!
Old 06-10-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Your deck is amazing, Coz! I can't imagine how hard it is to do that. But definitely worth the work.
Nice picture, TC! I will say a prayer for your friend, BABM. We were in a class together some time ago, I remember him but haven't seen him lately.
I have to run. Thanks for the good wishes with the Dr. everyone. Oddly, I woke up feeling great. Isn't that the way of things!
I am going to try your omlet recipe when I get home, Venus. It sounds so yummy!
Old 06-10-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dig12 View Post
I had my first session today with my therapist. The same one that I flat out lied to last time I was "trying" to get sober. And it felt so good to flat out admit that to him. So we started anew. And the first area of discussion was around me not wanting to tell or talk to Mrs. Dig about this! So yes Karen and Venuscat -- I still haven't told the Mrs. Dig about all of this :S

I'm writing this out though for everyone because he made a very interesting point that he left me with and asked me to "let it marinate" a bit before deciding what I want to do. In short, we talked about being mindful of content and process when communicating with another person. So content for me is the "what" - I want to tell Mrs. Dig that I've stopped drinking. The process is the "why" - so I'm telling her because I'm proud of myself and I want her celebrate this with me and be on board with cheering me on whenever I need it. The "how" part is what troubles me because I fear a negative or zero reaction. So, I do need to figure that out -- for now I'm thinking I'll need to ensure it's a comfortable time for a conversation and I think I owe her a bit of an apology for the past and it has to be authentic and sincere. Struggling with the "how" for sure.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting way to really focus on how we communicate and I never thought of it like this before. Process and content.

For now though, sleep time in Canada, eh!!!

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe/sober.

ZZZ...

From Google though --> Essentially, content refers to “what” the client is saying, and process refers to “why” or “how” they are saying it.
Do you have a porch swing? Or something like that....maybe a time of day when you can sit down together for a bit and have some iced tea....maybe that would be a way to start talking. xx
Old 06-10-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thats lovely mysti

congrats RAL!

D
Ditto! ❤️❤️
Old 06-10-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Hi May 2020 class

It would appear that we have survived the strawberry moon and mostly feeling much better than early this week. So nice to read lots of positive posts - rolling down hillsides, big sleep ins, good meeting with the therapist, puzzles and shopping, cooking, productive house and yard work and a general feeling that we are all getting some good days.

Congrats again on all your new day, week and month sober counts. Congrats on your 2 week milestone Kitten!

TC - what is a 'weenie roast'? Is it a little roast or a weaner beef roast, or a smoked sausage roast or something else? It sounds like a lovely way to spend some time outside around a fire.

Karen - I hope the doc comes up with something to make you feel better.

I am still in deck building mode, but also doing a bit of work in the gardens and the yard and have started on some furniture making - so much to do! I did finish the side deck yesterday (photos below) and now onto the deck around the spa.

Off to bed to start reading - Easy way to give up smoking (Allen Carr). The plan is to quit the smokes by the end of June.

Take care and stay sober.....

You are very talented Coz. That is some kick-arse landscaping and woodwork!! ❤️