Notices

Class of May 2020 Part 3

Old 05-26-2020, 02:29 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
My dad decided against the plan of holding onto my money
So I have cash for beer

Naturally my AV is excited but I'm just recognizing it as AV and dismissing it

It wants to drink. I want to stay sober.
​​​​​​
​​​My dad and I have a deal now. If I'm sober until August 1st, he'll pay the tuition I owe from before. If I'm sober til October, he'll pay next year's tuition. So a lot is riding on my sobriety. I can't afford to **** things up.
​​​​​​I do feel more confident in my abstinence than ever before. I have everything to gain and nothing to lose by staying sober.

​​​​​
That sounds like a lot of pressure to be putting on yourself! Unless of course you are better with something to aim for like that?
Old 05-26-2020, 02:36 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time4Change2020 View Post
That sounds like a lot of pressure to be putting on yourself! Unless of course you are better with something to aim for like that?
I think it'll be good for motivation. That's Point 1 in SMART Recovery - building motivation. It's great motivation to stay sober.

It's not past 10:30am so the off licences are open but I simply can't afford to drink no matter what my AV says. Not that it's gone quiet​​​​​​
Old 05-26-2020, 02:47 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Insomnia is not allowing me to sleep. I decided to take a test for personality disorders. 80 questions. I got to question 17 and stopped because I wasn't sure if I am answer from a perspective when sober or as an alcoholic. My answers differ depending on what state I'm in.

For example, I am a pathological liar when drunk. i try to hide the details of my current situation and will make up stuff. I manipulate to feed my addiction. I have stolen booze and money from people to get my 'fix'.

Sober, I am quite the opposite. Generous and try to just be kind to people. However, I've been drinking so many years, the sober me appears less. The test results would be inaccurate.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:07 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Generally professionals won't diagnose you when you're in active addiction
​​​​​​
Old 05-26-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

You're right FF. I got my ADHD diagnosis while in rehab. Was already sober for a couple months at the time.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:48 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

My GP increased my Antabuse to 400mg. I'm sure I'd get very sick of I drank on that. So an extra bit of motivation. Going to pick up the prescription today and start taking it tomorrow. I didn't discuss campral or naltrexone with him because I'm already on quite a lot of meds. Going to see how the 400mg goes.
​​​​​​

​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 05-26-2020, 04:49 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

It's great to see you getting so motivated FF!
So nice to find all these posts here this morning. We are an amazing class. Kudos to all on your sober days.
I hope you're doing ok now Venus. Thanks for the kind post.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

TRYING AGAIN FOR DAY 1: Haven't been able to get past Day 1 in a long time. I stopped day drinking (which started with this quarantine thing). I don't have any alcohol left in my house. Now, the trigger (the biggest for me really) is hunger. I eat a healthy breakfast but then get so absorbed in my work tasks that I don't get up for hours. By then, all I want is to drink.

I listened to a really annoying sobriety podcast that did not help: endless marketing of the "product" to get you to pay $19.00/month to join a club. The broadcast wouldn't stop promoting the "product." I was annoyed and hungry.

But I'm not giving up on Day 1: now that I have more of an idea of what and when the big trigger happens. I have to stop and prepare food around 1:00 PM; so I don't get triggered in the evening.

I've been counting my calories too and, GUESS, where hundreds of empty calories go? My obesity is pushing morbidity and it's all fro alcohol. I'm exercising now in the morning; watching what I eat (cut out lots of stuff); but NONE (Zero) counts if I down nearly a days worth of calories in sake and wine! NONE OF IT COUNTS IF I DRINK.

So, here I am, going for Day 1 (AGAIN). I'm going to try SMART Recovery today.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Freedom, I didn't mean it in a funny way. I just mean I'm awful with lots of pressure, it makes me crack. So wouldn't be motivation for me, it would have the opposite effect. Sorry I'm really bad with words, even more so when my anxiety kicks in.

Sorry I'm just finding today really difficult.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Time4, I hope your day gets better. What's up?
LIstae, getting hungry is my biggest trigger. I'm working on losing weight, too. I feel for you! I'm trying to eat healthy but I don't always. I hope day one goes easy for you.
Sending hugs to all.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time4Change2020 View Post
Freedom, I didn't mean it in a funny way. I just mean I'm awful with lots of pressure, it makes me crack. So wouldn't be motivation for me, it would have the opposite effect. Sorry I'm really bad with words, even more so when my anxiety kicks in.

Sorry I'm just finding today really difficult.
I hope your day gets better
Old 05-26-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

So do I dear Time4Change.....just reading and catching up with you all.

Busy morning. ❤️
Old 05-26-2020, 07:50 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
TRYING AGAIN FOR DAY 1: Haven't been able to get past Day 1 in a long time. I stopped day drinking (which started with this quarantine thing). I don't have any alcohol left in my house. Now, the trigger (the biggest for me really) is hunger. I eat a healthy breakfast but then get so absorbed in my work tasks that I don't get up for hours. By then, all I want is to drink.

I listened to a really annoying sobriety podcast that did not help: endless marketing of the "product" to get you to pay $19.00/month to join a club. The broadcast wouldn't stop promoting the "product." I was annoyed and hungry.

But I'm not giving up on Day 1: now that I have more of an idea of what and when the big trigger happens. I have to stop and prepare food around 1:00 PM; so I don't get triggered in the evening.

I've been counting my calories too and, GUESS, where hundreds of empty calories go? My obesity is pushing morbidity and it's all fro alcohol. I'm exercising now in the morning; watching what I eat (cut out lots of stuff); but NONE (Zero) counts if I down nearly a days worth of calories in sake and wine! NONE OF IT COUNTS IF I DRINK.

I like to have something I can eat fast.....like babybel cheese. I can grab one and then make lunch.....

It isn't that I still have alcohol triggers at all, but a history with anorexia kind of messed up my hunger response. I never feel hungry or get tummy rumbles or anything so I literally forget to eat. And then I feel sick and realise (all very dumb of me, actually talking to a therapist about this). So I guess I need to add "lunchtime" to my calendar. And "eat breakfast Suze".

listae love.....with you all the way. Every step. s ❤️❤️
Old 05-26-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Yes I realize that.

I'm practicing AVRT and using some of the SMART tools too. I'm trying everything I can and really jumping into recovery
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I have a plan to not drink again and feel I finally have the motivation and tools to do so. The pills would just be an extra help
​​​​​​
Gotta add that I am proud of you too....big time.....I feel the change.....you sound happy. ❤️
Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

This class is super-special in my books.....so much honesty and incredible support.

Just saying. ❤️
Old 05-26-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post

Good luck Listae. I am wishing you the best for today. The first day is the hardest. I agree that I used to skip a lot of meals because I was taking in so much wine. And I do think hunger is a trigger. Try keeping a bag of raw nuts near you so you can at least have that until you can get up and eat some actual food. I wish you the best!
Hope
Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Good idea.....and apparently walnuts are like a super-food. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 05-26-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Popping in to say hi. So many awsome posts since I went to bed!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

❤️
Old 05-26-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
FF - while the drugs that reduce cravings are a great tool, they still require a firm commitment to staying on your part, and a recovery plan that works for you. You will not be completely free from AV while taking them (unfortunately).
^^^ 100% correct

The drugs are really just a small part of the bigger picture. There is no such thing as a magic pill for this. For some the drugs may not even work in the slightest, but for others they can be a nice "add" to your toolbox to fight off the AV.

Ask the doctor!