# 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by willow68 View Post
i love that butters, that we can become new beings
you just made my day :val004:
x2
Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Morning everyone :-)

I have heard about neuroplasticity a few times, particularly in relation to mindful meditation. I find it a really fascinating subject. And speaking of habits, I have had an interesting (debatable? lol) experience the past few days - I recently moved a wall clock in the living room. 5 days later I am still inadvertently looking at where it used to be to check the time. Not only that, but only now have I realised how many times I actually check the time without even thinking about it.

Have a great day everyone, and take care
Old 07-09-2020, 03:48 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

There are some TED talks that I really like.

That's a great way of looking at it, establishing new neural pathways.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:51 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

I've noticed that when we have a hurricane and the power goes out for a considerable amount of time, you can't stop yourself from hitting the light switch when you go into a room even though you know full well that the power is out.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates

I agree about building new habits to be where they become automatic routine. Just who we are. It makes sense that if the brain does something enough times, like a muscle, it rebuilds or reconnects. The journey we are on, however many stop-starts in the past or AV's telling us otherwise, we are building new, good habits.IMO. Hopefully it is just the start to becoming whole new people. Thanks for sharing that BM.

I am OK today.
A big day ahead and my first, in a work environment, seeing people. With masks obviously but I am a bit nervous about the idea. I am fine in shops, it is funny. It has been nearly 4 months of remote work (maybe).

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb

Old 07-09-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Hope you have a good day dear bachhus. s

Old 07-09-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, Friday here, a bit stressed at the moment, will pop back later and make sure I keep the AV at bay.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:06 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Hi everyone, Friday here, a bit stressed at the moment, will pop back later and make sure I keep the AV at bay.
Hey willow!

Hope you are less stressed by now
Old 07-09-2020, 05:32 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Hello, everybody.

Well, it's 2am here and I'm just getting to bed. I thought I'd do a quick check in.

Willow, I hope the stress lifts and that you have a calm, zen day. Maybe a spot of meditation to reset yourself, or saying/thinking out some affirmations would do. I find affirmations to be very helpful in stressful situations, when I will myself to use them. Something new I'm doing now, however, is determining, beforehand, what I will do when faced with stressors, since, in my case, I tend to have the same, recurrent ones; usually my husband or my kids, lol. So, rather than wait for the inevitable to happen and then, inevitably, to react in the same old negative manner, I'm being proactive about my reaction and it's been very helpful.

dlb; I hope that your big work day went well. I think being nervous is to be expected after spending so long working alone at home. I can't wait to hear how it was.

CB and abraxas; yes, those things with the clock and light switch and other related are very interesting human phenomena, I agree. I'll try to be more aware of them in my day to day, if only to get a chuckle out them.

I'm glad you guys found the neuroplasticity thing interesting. I know that these are things that human kind has been practically doing for ages; changing one's mind by changing one's habits and thoughts. These are concepts we hear about from self help books, therapists, religion, etc. However, for me, that aspect of our brains changing physically was key. It rendered the whole process a bit more hopeful and a little less like trudging up hill. I will intentionally apply this to more areas of my life so that, to a greater extent, I can truly begin to live the life I wish for myself. So things like cutting out procrastination (like jr was on a quest to do), eat better, organise my day to day better.... There's a lot. I think, taken one day at a time, it's all doable. Surely, this is a good thing to put myself to task for the next 6 months.

Anyway, good night for now and good day to the Aussies.

Hugs.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:16 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I had a really busy day but am home now and thankful it’s Friday night! I won’t be drinking, just having dinner, a shower and to bed. What a day! One I’m glad is over
Old 07-10-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Dlb, hope yesterday was better than anticipated.

Willow, sorry you had a busy stressful day, but glad you got through it.

"Something new I'm doing now, however, is determining, beforehand, what I will do when faced with stressors, since, in my case, I tend to have the same, recurrent ones; usually my husband or my kids, lol. So, rather than wait for the inevitable to happen and then, inevitably, to react in the same old negative manner, I'm being proactive about my reaction and it's been very helpful." What a proactive approach! I'm going to put some thought into this. Thanks buttermarsh.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates

Thank you everyone. It was a big work day yesterday and it went well. Thankfully.
There were a few times, as I was scrambling to get everything done, that I almost froze with the pressure. It is super hot in my part of the world which didn't help. I focused and stayed on course. At the end, predictably, my AV immediately told me to reward myself with a drink. Nothing new there. I was good though. Today, all I want, is a boring, regular Friday.

Willow, it sounds you had a challenging days also. I hope your Friday is nicer also.

BM, your philosophy on how to best handle stress, that you know is coming, is really good.
It is funny, the way we all used to deal with stress was to get smashed. Which isn't dealing with it at all, as we know, it usually made everything worse. It feels, sometimes, that a lot of this class is us learning to actually deal with emotions. There are so many aspects to recovery, I guess.

Well, I am scrambling eggs with avocado (a tiny bit of olive oil and seasoning) shortly. I do mine in the microwave to avoid the mess. For those who have not tried it, give it a go and ignore the fact that your eggs are green. It is a life changer.

have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb

Old 07-10-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Yum dlb, I will try that, I love eggs and avocado but don’t normally scramble them together. Sounds delicious
Old 07-11-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

I just cooked up a chicken and veggie stirfry with lots of herbs, mostly using stuff out of our garden. Except the chicken lol. Our chickens are for eggs, not eating
Old 07-11-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Today will be like a normal work day I suppose.

Avocado sounds interesting to try on an egg sandwich. My wife's grandfather had an avocado tree, but we are a little too far north.

Chicken stir fry with fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden sounds wonderful.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:03 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Good morning. It was delicious Cityboy
And it’s Goodnight from me. Sober Saturday night 8pm and I’m all done in already so I’m off to bed
Old 07-11-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Hello Class!
Green eggs and ham! Yummmm I told the wife about eggs and avocado and she claims we have had it before. Not sure how I could forget green eggs. LOL Probably hung over. Anyway i suggested we try it again. She loves guacamole too.

butters I love posts like yours. Seems at times they become ingrained into my subconsciousness.
I find myself doing a lot of things I read about here without really thinking about it. Example, Usually if I am hungry, tired, etc. I would find myself craving beer. Ever since I quit drinking I have been trying different drinks because I drink a lot during the day and plain old water just gets boring so I have been on a carbonated water kick for a while now.
Lately I have been craving AHA flavored water. Good stuff and I actually feel sated after one instead of craving more like I would beer. Maybe my brain is changing? Maybe not but I know this little fact makes it easier to stay sober.

willow chicken and veggie stir-fry is a staple around my house too. Would love to make it with fresh instead of frozen veggies but my farming skills are a bit lacking.
We do have a bumper crop of spaghetti squash this year though. If y'all have never had it trust me and get you some. Basically make spaghetti with it instead of pasta noodles. Deliciousness. Or with just butter and salt/pepper. You can thank me later.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Ok dropping my macho exterior defense for a minute,
Y'all know my daughter has been here for a couple weeks. Well she has no vehicle so we have been trying to remedy that. She went out and looked at a few, liked a couple but really hadn't found exactly what she wants or a salesman willing to work a deal.
She found one she liked and asked me to come look at it. I did and we drove it but because of her height, or lack of , she had a hard time seeing over the hood. Took some talking because she really liked it but convinced her parking and close quarter maneuvers would get old quick and she would be stuck with it.

Well I saw another vehicle on the lot that she hadn't really considered that checked all the boxes. She drove it and really liked it. Told her Mother who is a loan officer for a bank and pretty set on certain brands. Well she was very against this particular one even with no personal experience with it. I have family members driving them for years.
Well Step Dad did some research and got Mom on board so that made daughter happy. Even though she was gonna do what she wants anyway she tries to value everyone's input.

There are literally a million of these for sale so narrowing one down has been hard.
Well we found a salesman who was willing to give a little. We don't want anything free but having family that have been in the business I know the 1st offer is not a good one.

Well we went to pick it up yesterday and while I was standing there watching her sign papers I pretty much damn near lost my composure. Who the hell gets emotional buying a car? LOL
I am standing there holding my 3 month old Granddaughter watching my baby taking care of her business. Proud does not seem like a strong enough word. .
Someone must be cutting onions right now.

6 months ago I would have been standing there impatiently waiting to leave and start my daily ritual.

The fact that I had the patience and clear mind to guide her in the right direction is priceless.
This is what I have been missing. This is what life is about. Helping others whether it be family or not.

God I wish I could go back 30 years and kick that son of a ------ in his ---
Old 07-11-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

I have tears reading that fish. ❤️
Old 07-11-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Thanks venus You are a part of this

To be honest I hesitate posting these types of things because of others who may be struggling or not have anyone close to be with. I fear it will push them further into despair. Not sure that makes sense but it is a thought I have when I consider making these posts. But in the end I feel it may help someone, me included, so I post.