Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 7

Old 07-07-2020, 01:28 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

My AV seems to be strongest on Sundays. I think that’s because Sunday was the only full day I ever had as I generally work 5 1/2 days a week. So on Sunday I would pretty much drink all day. The AV remembers that and starts on at me as soon as I wake up sometimes. Pesky thing. I’m getting better at telling it to buzz off....
There are pubs open from 9am here. 6am seems really nuts.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

My AV is pretty random these days, but that is probably due to a lack of clearly defined routine. Previously it was more time related - about 6pm on weekdays and 3-4pm on weekends. Such were my habits back then.

I've just had a quick look at the news and there are reports of some pubs here having to close after staff or customers have subsequently tested positive for coronavirus. It's only been 3 days since they opened! It is hardly surprising, and pretty much exactly what we have discussed would happen over the past few days.

Thankful to be sober in these difficult times, and extremely grateful to be able to share it here
Old 07-07-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates

Are warm, muggy but decent Tuesday today. I don't have too much to report but wanted to check-in. I hope you are all well.
I am keen to have a constructive day, today. Yesterday was a bit of a washout.

have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb
Old 07-07-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Good morning Class!

Slowly getting back into a work routine after 2 weeks of home repairs and helping daughter and family get settled. I got 3 more jobs while I was "off", bathroom remodel is not complete, usable and safe but needs trim and finish painting, so it is getting a little stressful again but I see it coming and I'm just gonna head it off now. It will get done when it gets done. If it gets done

Good to see everyone overpowering the AV!

This "quit" has been 1000 times different then the 1 or 2 times I really tried before if they could be called that.

When the AV sneaks up on me the 1st thing that goes through my head is "Why". Why do I want a drink? Why do I need a drink?
The 2nd is "what". What will happen if I take a drink? What will not happen if I take a drink?
The 3rd is "how". How will I feel if I take a drink? How will my life improve if I take a drink? That is a big one. Then, How will my life deteriorate into chaos if I take a drink? That is the biggest one there.

By the time I get through all or some of that the urge is gone and I feel good about myself. If I had taken a drink I know for a fact I would not feel good about myself. Why would I want to do something to make me feel bad about myself?

I am not exactly sure where those questions come from but I am pretty sure it is ingrained into my sub-conscious now from my readings here on SR.

Thanks once again to all of you who take the time to post!

It really does help
Old 07-07-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Warm and muggy, yes.

As to being in a group of drinking people, I've also noticed that by not having that overwhelming urge to drink myself, I notice how it is affecting others much more. Seeing the way other people are acting and hearing how their speech is affected, it reinforces my solidarity to remain sober.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Warm and muggy, yes.

As to being in a group of drinking people, I've also noticed that by not having that overwhelming urge to drink myself, I notice how it is affecting others much more. Seeing the way other people are acting and hearing how their speech is affected, it reinforces my solidarity to remain sober.
AMEN city
Old 07-07-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

It's been lovely catching up on all the posts.

Fish; that conversation with your daughter melted my heart. It was brief but spoke volumes.

Also, your Why, What and How questions are great. I'm definitely adding them to my toolbox.

Congrats to dlb and abraxas on making 6 months. That is something! 6 months sans drinking seemed like a huge impossibility to me just last year. When I really think about it, I'm amazed to be here. I've got about 2 more weeks to go but, like you all, it's an important milestone to look to.

Thanks for that 6 month chip, CB.

On the subject of the AV, I had a bit of a tough time of it this past weekend at a barbecue party that I was at. Everyone was drinking; I even had a friend cajole me to 'join' her in the drinking... I felt a bit sorry for myself in the moment. I felt slightly embarrassed that I couldn't drink. Anyhow, I powered through and went to bed sober. What kept me going was reminding myself that if I made the mistake of drinking, it would mean continuing at it well after the party was over, and God knows how much longer after. Then all the other horrible consequences that would follow. It sure wasn't worth it. My life has changed and I'm not going back. I usually revert to lessgravity's signature, 'I've paid enough; I'm not paying anymore'.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

How does that work with people being pushy around drinking?
It is such a bad thing to do. s xx

Old 07-07-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Thanks butters, I really hope it helps
Old 07-07-2020, 11:19 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

One of my friends is super pushy about drinking. I’ve been avoiding her. Too difficult to be around her at the moment.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:39 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Administrator

I bet anyone who is really insistent you join in the drinking is self conscious if not worried about the extent of their own drinking.

D
Old 07-08-2020, 01:31 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

I tend to agree Dee. My pushy friend is hungover more often than she’s not.
I really don’t miss hangovers, that’s for sure
A really good reason to not drink.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:02 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Hi all

I agree with you, Dee. I have always thought that pushy people need to justify their own habits. Like, "everybody is doing it so it is OK for me". But just one person who thinks for themselves and has the strength to say No to drinking or drugs proves they could have said no also. If everybody gets wasted, they feel better about their own choices or life.
It shows how strong we are becoming, that our will-power can unsettle some people that much, to bring out the worst in them. Hopefully our will-power also inspires others who are in the same boat we were, or on the same journey we are on now.

Fish, your 3 questions when your AV sneaks up, are great. I will do the same next time.

I am doing OK this morning Great to read so many interesting posts. I am excited for 2 weeks BM !

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb
Old 07-08-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Not much to report.

An old friend of mine called yesterday morning and left a message. We have gotten bone numbingly smashed countless times and he is the epitome of pushy people and I really just don't want to deal with it right now. Haven't even listened to the message.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
One of my friends is super pushy about drinking. I’ve been avoiding her. Too difficult to be around her at the moment.
I have 1 neighbor through the woods where I live.
We used to drink together for the 1st few years.
Pretty much all we have in common.
Well we both like to fish also.

He would bring beer to me after I told him I quit. He still brings extra beers with him when he visits. I am sure he is hoping I have started again and will join him.
He still romanticizes alcohol in our conversations.
He can drink 3 beers and go about his business. I cannot.
I limit our time together as much as I can. Not because I am afraid I will drink but because his attitude towards my decision to quit pisses me off.

I do consider him to be a friend, even though I think friends support each other, but he is not and will never be a good friend because of this.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:02 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Bacchus I am happy and humbled by the fact y'all feel my post will help yourselves.
That helps me in return.

I am glad to not have very pushy friends. With my temperament they would not be friends much longer. Lol
Old 07-08-2020, 03:41 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Yes, pushy friends are so annoying. They don’t realize that we are in a fight for our lives! This friend of mine is my only close friend. We are both mums to young kids and have many play dates, etc. I really treasure that aspect of our relationship and I hope she will cease with the offering of alcohol. Just yesterday she told me how she simply must take me to a cool cocktails place! Aaaargh! Yuck. I DON’T DRINK ANYMORE! Lol.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Anyway, hello everyone.

I’m well.

A few days ago I listened to a Ted Talk on epigenetics and neuroplasticity, and how our brains can physically change and we heal/change our minds. This is by forming new habits and repeating them every time instead of our former go-to bad habits. After some time, and a lot of consistent exercising of the new habits, we can almost be new beings. It made me think of how our sober walks are exactly that and, like we’ve mentioned before, with every win against the AV, new neural pathways are being formed in our brains and our new selves are getting more and more cemented. That was a hopeful listen.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

I so hear that. We can totally renew our whole being.
Become new beings.
I am a believer love. hug: ❤️
Old 07-08-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

I love that Butters, that we can become new beings
You just made my day