Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 7

Old 07-01-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates

Great to see so many familiar faces.
Things with me are good. Today is the six moth mark from when I re-joined SR on New Years Day.
It has not been without it's pitfalls and AV's but I am glad I am here. I know there are others in our class who started on NYD, or a few days later.
Thank you to everyone.I am looking forward to the next six months in your wonderful and supportive company.

Have a healthy, happy and sober sunny day all

dlb

Old 07-01-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

6 months is wonderful love. xxxxxx ❤️
Old 07-01-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Big congrats dlb, 6 months is an amazing achievement! Have a great day and enjoy the moment!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Congrats dlb!!
Old 07-02-2020, 01:03 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone :-)

Today marks six months of sobriety for me!

And what a six months it has been. The first month was spent living with a partner who continued to drink heavily. The next two months doing a job I did not enjoy, but more to the point was incredibly stressful. Then came the inevitable and very dramatic disintegration of a 15 year relationship. Followed by a period of having no fixed place to live. And when I did find somewhere, coming to terms with the reality of living by myself (for, more or less, the first time in over 20 years) and being unemployed.

Not to mention that global pandemic thing that's being going on

But what has really been incredible over the past 6 months, is that not once have I thought that a drink would help any of it. Or what for me has always been a bit of a default - "let's forget about it all tonight and we can deal with it in the morning". Which of course never works out.

It almost goes without saying that the AV has tried to convince me otherwise, on many an occasion. It hasn't been easy. Especially the dealing with emotions bit! But as I reflect on where I was, and where I am now, it's a no-brainer as to where I'd rather be.

I have not been much for milestones over the past 6 months. They did hold some meaning over the first few days and weeks, but the 3 month mark was all a bit meh. I had read that for quite a few people the 100 days mark was of something of a turning point, but again that was a bit meh.

But today does feel a bit special. I am not naive to the fact that this is just the beginning. That there is still much work to do, and that the AV will do it's thing, as it always does. Usually when you least expect it and your guard is down. But this does feel like the end of my Chapter One, and the beginning of Chapter Two.

My heartfelt thanks goes to SR and all of you for your support and help, the sharing and the understanding, and the just being there. Knowing that one is not alone, that others are going through exactly the same things and completely and utterly understand is so incredibly empowering.

Thank you!

Old 07-02-2020, 02:11 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratultions DLB & Abraxas

D
Old 07-02-2020, 02:18 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months dlb and Abraxus
Old 07-02-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Congratulations Abraxas.
A wonderful 6 month journey against a lot of obstacles. It is a real achievement will only result in great things.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:35 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Good morning class

Glad to wake up without a hangover. That never gets old.
I reread some of my, and other classmates, early posts yesterday. It was nice to reflect on how I started this journey. I saw so many "I got through today" type posts. Some from folks who no longer post in this class, which was a bit sad, but people show up again. Anyone can look at the Join Date beneath my avatar to know that I have been as prone to slipping as anyone. So far, so good, this time.I feel a lot more resolve than I ever.

Today is a crazy busy morning, I think, and an easier afternoon. Fingers crossed, the stress will not derail me from taking time to have a jog.
Well, I need more coffee asap.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb
Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Big congrats on six months dlb and abraxas.

Abraxas, sorry you had to endure those relationship issues. We all have drama, but that sounds rough.

I'm beginning to look at the six month mark, not as a goal unto itself, but as a new platform from which to move forward. In that karate class I was talking about the other day, a big take-away for me was a concept that the guy talked about - with each new achievement, like when you go from white belt to yellow belt (which I never did), you start over but at a new higher platform from which to move forward. The thoughts of stopping at the beer store on the way home from work, seeing a 12 pack of Ranger marked $2 off, eating dinner with our friends who always have a nice bottle of red on the table, the whole fishing thing, the smell of a whiskey drink, the AV does not have these to work with any longer. Of course the AV still has some powerful weapons, I'm not kidding myself there.

I love a quote from a countryman of yours abraxas. "It is not the end, nor it it the beginning of the end, but it is perhaps the end of the beginning ".

Sleeping in until 6 this morning was nice. A day of office work ahead.

Have a great day all.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abraxas69 View Post
Good morning everyone :-)

Today marks six months of sobriety for me!

And what a six months it has been. The first month was spent living with a partner who continued to drink heavily. The next two months doing a job I did not enjoy, but more to the point was incredibly stressful. Then came the inevitable and very dramatic disintegration of a 15 year relationship. Followed by a period of having no fixed place to live. And when I did find somewhere, coming to terms with the reality of living by myself (for, more or less, the first time in over 20 years) and being unemployed.

Not to mention that global pandemic thing that's being going on

But what has really been incredible over the past 6 months, is that not once have I thought that a drink would help any of it. Or what for me has always been a bit of a default - "let's forget about it all tonight and we can deal with it in the morning". Which of course never works out.

It almost goes without saying that the AV has tried to convince me otherwise, on many an occasion. It hasn't been easy. Especially the dealing with emotions bit! But as I reflect on where I was, and where I am now, it's a no-brainer as to where I'd rather be.

I have not been much for milestones over the past 6 months. They did hold some meaning over the first few days and weeks, but the 3 month mark was all a bit meh. I had read that for quite a few people the 100 days mark was of something of a turning point, but again that was a bit meh.

But today does feel a bit special. I am not naive to the fact that this is just the beginning. That there is still much work to do, and that the AV will do it's thing, as it always does. Usually when you least expect it and your guard is down. But this does feel like the end of my Chapter One, and the beginning of Chapter Two.

My heartfelt thanks goes to SR and all of you for your support and help, the sharing and the understanding, and the just being there. Knowing that one is not alone, that others are going through exactly the same things and completely and utterly understand is so incredibly empowering.

Thank you!
This post is just so beautiful. ❤️

Congrats love on 6 months!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Congrats abraxas!

Old 07-02-2020, 11:13 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
This post is just so beautiful. ❤️

Congrats love on 6 months!!!!!!
I totally agree, awesome post Abraxus

Old 07-03-2020, 03:42 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Here's a virtual 6 month chip for abraxas, dlb, and the rest of us as we reach the 6 month mark.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Thank you Cityboy. What a great thing to see this morning.
I have never seen a chip before. I love the words Unity, Service and Recovery. That is pretty much exactly what this group are about. I know we are here, not just for ourselves. And we are not perfect, but we are trying to improve. I agree completely about a new platform. For me, it is as much about the next 6 months as it was the last.
Nice to wake and see your posts Venus, Willow and Fish.

I am going to get ready to jog, before it becomes 1000 degrees.

have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb

Old 07-03-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

I need to show you my 5-yr coin....it is so so beautiful.

Have a good jog, already way hot here today. ❤️
Old 07-03-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support and good wishes everyone! :-)

I too have never seen a chip before, thanks cityboy. Great words dlb, that we are not perfect but always trying to improve sums things up very succinctly.

I have a day off exercise today - giving my aging a body a chance to recover! Going to relax some as we head towards the weekend. Have a great day everyone, and take care.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

This is the Swarovski sobriety coin I bought myself last October, with a silver key chain.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:14 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
This is the Swarovski sobriety coin I bought myself last October, with a silver key chain.

It really is beautiful Suze xxx
Old 07-04-2020, 02:55 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

I’ve been away for the weekend, amidst cocktails for breakfast, pub lunches, and beers on the balcony, but managed to stay sober throughout, which is a good feeling. Everything has reopened here, and everyone is partying. I don’t actually think it’s a great idea myself, but who am I to say. I worry that things will be like other places overseas and also in Victoria, which reopened and Covid cases spiked. I will be relieved to go home tomorrow to relative safety, both from everyone drinking and away from people who seem hell bent on not social distancing now the restrictions have been lifted as I don’t feel the Covid crisis is over

I hope everyone in going well. It’s so good to see the 6 month sober celebrations I’m a tad behind you guys, but am with you!