Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 3

Old 02-02-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Congrats on breaking your 50 year streak jr. In the last 28 years I think that 30 or so days has been my longest stretch, when I was taking antibiotics for lyme. In all probably that 30+ day stretch would go back about 40 years.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:21 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Thanks, CB. You probably posted this, but what's your count now? I.e., how many days before you break your 40-year record of 30 days?

Lol despite all the brouhaha about our counts of days, in which I heartily partake, in one sense I agree with those who say it is not about the number of days at all.

If I were to slip today (not in the cards, I think), but if/when I ever do, I hope I would be back here the next day, perhaps at Day 1, but no less happy about being here, and no less looking forward to a future (and present) life in which I am in control of my future (and present), to the extent anyone can be, in a UUU.

Quiz:

Q1. UUU?

A1. Ultimately unknowable universe.

Extra credit:

Q2. Discuss.

Grand prize:

Q3. Disprove the existence of the A1.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Thanks for comments yesterday classmates, anxiety has gone on a holiday today so that is good.

parts of my head feel like they are waking up or firing back up only way to describe it.

Been to shop for some stuff and got a 10 pack for superbowl 10 pack of cola that is !

Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Thanks, CB. You probably posted this, but what's your count now? I.e., how many days before you break your 40-year record of 30 days?

Lol despite all the brouhaha about our counts of days, in which I heartily partake, in one sense I agree with those who say it is not about the number of days at all.

If I were to slip today (not in the cards, I think), but if/when I ever do, I hope I would be back here the next day, perhaps at Day 1, but no less happy about being here, and no less looking forward to a future (and present) life in which I am in control of my future (and present), to the extent anyone can be, in a UUU.

Quiz:

Q1. UUU?

A1. Ultimately unknowable universe.

Extra credit:

Q2. Discuss.

Grand prize:

Q3. Disprove the existence of the A1.
On day 23. Knowing me, there is a very good chance that I slipped on the "no alchohol" during that 30 days of doxy, but it gives me a comparison at least.

I've put a lot of thought into at some point trying to ease back into a situation of drinking a little at special events and so forth, like having a mint julep at our friend's house when they have the Kentucky derby party, or just one or two beers after fishing all day, or a glass of wine with dinner when someone gets a bottle. But I think that I've just heard too much testimony here and at the two AA meetings I went to about terrible nasty relapses that started so innocently. The thought of it makes me sick.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Thank you, jr67! How did your brunch go today? When I’ve done dry January before, it’s amazing to me how many friends (“drinking buddies”) get so excited for me to drink again. It’s kind of a strange phenomenon. Congrats on breaking your streak!

Thank you, willow! ... and lol, yes, I was thinking in my head “STFU!” quite a few times.

It much goin on here today. Watching Lifetime movies with my daughter because those always seem to make our lives seem super normal, lol. My good friend took our son out for some fun. It’s been stressful at home with our daughter lately.

Hope y’all have a quiet, sober day!

Oh, Cityboy, I forgot to comment on your post. In the past, I’ve found myself thinking “it won’t hurt if I have a sip or two”, then that turns into a glass or two, then I’m blacking out and vomiting. I’ve never been able to end it at just a sip or two, so there’s definitely evidence to support that. It’s good that you’re thinking through these things. I envy the people who can have 1 or 2 drinks.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:05 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

You know, sobriety has given me a great gift - the gift of time. Now that I'm not drinking, I have long, wonderful evenings where I can read, write, watch TV and knit. And not to mention the early mornings with no hangovers! Love it!
Old 02-02-2020, 01:11 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Cityboy, like Daisybelle7, I have tried to have “just an occasional drink “ several times. It’s never worked for me. Even though the AV had me convinced I could moderate my drinking, it ALWAYS led me back to cravings for more, and increasingly elaborate plans for drinking to ensure I didn’t run out, stashing extra bottles so my supply had a backup, and finding elaborate ways to drink more than anybody realised (although in hindsight they probably knew anyway). Unfortunately it just never worked for me, it’s all or nothing, so I choose nothing.

Monday morning here and I have to go and get organised for my work day. See you all later
Old 02-02-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Cityboy, I think you are making a wise choice. Like Willow and Daisy, I have found moderation impossible. Even if I could theoretically "moderate" for a time, it is just not enjoyable anymore.

Intellectually, I was quite convinced of this back in 2018, but some part of me had to test it still I suppose and here I am nearly 2 years later starting over again. My AV argument was always "just have a six pack of beer every once in a while. You can do that can't you?" Nope. Six turned into twelve the next day and then again on a third day. If I was lucky, I would stop it there once the weekend ended. Very often, I was not "lucky".

Ironically, I just had my first real craving this afternoon. It was fleeting, but very real. AV saying to just stop and get that six pack after work. It took me several tries to push it back down and ignore it. Whew. This can be tiring sometimes.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

...and to everyone else. Great job. Whether you are setting records like JR or working into double digits, or through that first week It is great to see.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I knew at 11 I was never going to have 'one' drink. My parents allowed me a taste of a special after-dinner drink at a dinner party....and then I was off to the races. It took me about 10 minutes to pour an entire glass of the stuff when no one was looking. By 14 I was stealing drinks from that cabinet every night to get blitzed....and no sips....I never sipped.

If you are like me, this stuff is poison we don't want to play around with. s xx
Old 02-02-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I know what you mean Venus. I was a "late bloomer" and didn't get drunk until I was 17. Had 4 or 5 beers that first time and it was over right then and there when I look back now. Heck. I can still remember it vividly to this day. I suppose it could be argued that I moderated semi-successfully at times in early adulthood, but I was always left wanting more. That was a lifetime ago.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Ah ha, a lifetime ago....but honestly, I never ever moderated, not once.
I think I tried a few times, but mostly not....I wanted the buzz and oblivion, consequences be damned. Booze changed me into a selfish greedy monster.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:35 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

I didn't have a problem with alcohol starting off. But when I was 21 and was drinking because I was lonely I developed problems with it
Old 02-03-2020, 01:40 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Day 10. Double digits. Woohoo!
Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrWolfie68 View Post
Cityboy, I think you are making a wise choice. Like Willow and Daisy, I have found moderation impossible. Even if I could theoretically "moderate" for a time, it is just not enjoyable anymore.

Intellectually, I was quite convinced of this back in 2018, but some part of me had to test it still I suppose and here I am nearly 2 years later starting over again. My AV argument was always "just have a six pack of beer every once in a while. You can do that can't you?" Nope. Six turned into twelve the next day and then again on a third day. If I was lucky, I would stop it there once the weekend ended. Very often, I was not "lucky".

Ironically, I just had my first real craving this afternoon. It was fleeting, but very real. AV saying to just stop and get that six pack after work. It took me several tries to push it back down and ignore it. Whew. This can be tiring sometimes.
Yes to everything Wolfie said, same with me. Even down to being convinced back in May 2018 when I stopped (for over a year!) but then testing it again. And again. Unsuccessfully I must add. Hence I’m back in the January class.... Hopefully my last class.

I too had a big craving from the AV on my way home, which took quite an effort to get past. I drove past an old bottlo I used to frequent and the AV piped up about just nipping in for a bottle of wine. No! No! And No!
We have to stay vigilant and remind ourselves that it just doesn’t work for us
Old 02-03-2020, 02:33 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Day 10. Double digits. Woohoo!
Yippee!
Old 02-03-2020, 03:06 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hi Class

Made it through the weekend. Classmates and SR really helped. I hope others are doing OK. This can be a tough, uphill slog.
In my case, I am incapable of moderation.
It is either a happy life, and giving that a chance, or the long slide into all those same consequences again.

Have a happy, sober and happy day all.

dlb
Old 02-03-2020, 03:13 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Cynix good to hear your head is clearing. Hope you didnt drink the whole 10 pack. Lol

Cityboy that's the AV. Mine has been really active lately. No cravings just the same thoughts you described. I think I have developed an AAV though. It's strange, never had that before when trying to quit. Anti Alcoholic Voice
Had a little pressure from the group yesterday. Not on purpose since they don't know I quit but kinda like are you sure? we got a dd.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:16 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Hello willow, wolfie and FF

Cograts Lixie!

Venus I was like you from the start also. Idle or wtfo.
No cruise control

Morning bacchus!
Old 02-03-2020, 03:38 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Just ordered the rational recovery book. Should receive it friday