Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 3

Old 02-01-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Bacchus I think maybe you’re right, but hopefully as we work through the stuff we suppressed with alcohol, our minds will settle somewhat... I know I have some stuff I need to address, but baby steps...

I do feel better after a better sleep last night. Thanks everyone for your support, this is such a great class

Daisybelle7 well done on 3 weeks!

As for the superbowl, I’m going to have to google it. I have a vague notion it’s some kind of sporting event in the US but that’s as far as my knowledge goes (A sheltered NQ Aussie lol)
Old 02-01-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

I apologise in advance for my ignorance, I just googled super bowl. Ok so I worked out it’s football, but it’s different to Aussie football, it’s not Aussie rules or rugby league or even rugby union because they’re wearing masks, so I did some more digging and found out it’s gridiron. I’m not sure, but I don’t think we play this in Australia.... I could be wrong but I’ve not seen it before...
I grew up with Aussie rules footy, and later rugby league

I learn so much on SR
Old 02-01-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Going to bed sober on day 8. Good night, all.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:16 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Good night Lixie
Old 02-01-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Hello classmates,

Day 10 ongoing anxiety attacks back maybe it's because of the weekend where i used to drink nearly all weekend unless sleeping.

When i have stopped before longest being a month i was feeling good at this point feeling terrible today tired random pains in various joints shooting pains in head and other places.

Muscle strength feels good though and constantly hungry think i was getting 10000 calories a week in booze so that maybe why 😀

Enjoy your day all stay strong we will get there.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Willow you aren't missing anything not watching football as we call it.
It has been watered down so bad its like they are running around in bubble wrap.
Bunch of overpaid sissies.

Lixie good to see you still here! Rest well
Old 02-01-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hope your anxiety and soreness pass cynic. By day 10 most of those symptoms had gone for me but I had zero energy for doing anything except stuffing my face with anything edible I could lay my hands on. That urge is mostly gone now and I can work a normal day again thank goodness.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Welcome ptown!

Hello everyone. I agree with you guys, It is nice to be in February.

Cityboy, I've been catching up at night with the series called Evil along with Prodigal Son, and some detective shows and yes, it's carried over to my dreams at night also. Some scary stuff even for adults.

Went to the store, it is amazing the booze displays, everywhere! Super Bowl is huge for that and also eating. I did buy lot's of junk food, and fizzy water.

Willow, that is neat you did a google search. I do that also because we come from so many interesting places to meet here and it's nice to learn about our cultures and sometimes different words people use. g'day mate Here in the states, any game pretty much is a reason to drink, but after the SB, most people call in sick the next day because of the partying.

Cynix, I hope the anxiety fades, mine is just starting to quiet down. And the (various joints shooting pains in head and other places) funny you said that, I have those quite a bit myself. Maybe just a healing and awakening of our overactive nerves?

Ok, got things to do, bye
Old 02-01-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

It is late here in the UK so just popped in for a quick January 2020 read. It has become a bedtime ritual for me. Thank you Cityboy, Fishkiller, Cynix, Willow, Lixie, Time2, JR67, Daisybelle, Ptown, Freedomfries, Patterson, Dontlookbacchus, Sobermafia, Echodenali, Sober53, Reid82, Wastinglife, Sendsleep, Buttermarsh, MrWolfie, MaggieMay, Geenie, Bandiecoot, Silversky, Sober45, Abraxus, Pelagic, Nottoosmart, Sunnyday and all the rest of out January 2020 gang for your energy and posts. Not forgetting Dee and Venuscat, of course!
Old 02-01-2020, 07:13 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by time2 View Post
Here in the states, any game pretty much is a reason to drink, but after the SB, most people call in sick the next day because of the partying.

A former co-worker used to always schedule a vacation day the day after SB because she knew she was going to be hungover. I might have it on tomorrow just to watch the commercials.

Made it AF through dinner tonight. I didn’t end up telling my friends why because I didn’t want that to be the focus of dinner. I just said I needed to be clear headed to support our daughter. Then...... the husband of the couple went on and on and on and on about the bottle of wine they ordered. I’ll spare y’all the details. I have a bracelet that I wear that’s a symbol of alcohol recovery. I just kept spinning that bracelet while he talked. It was SO tempting to take a sip, but I’m glad I refrained.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:32 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post

A former co-worker used to always schedule a vacation day the day after SB because she knew she was going to be hungover. I might have it on tomorrow just to watch the commercials.

Made it AF through dinner tonight. I didn’t end up telling my friends why because I didn’t want that to be the focus of dinner. I just said I needed to be clear headed to support our daughter. Then...... the husband of the couple went on and on and on and on about the bottle of wine they ordered. I’ll spare y’all the details. I have a bracelet that I wear that’s a symbol of alcohol recovery. I just kept spinning that bracelet while he talked. It was SO tempting to take a sip, but I’m glad I refrained.
Yes, DB, the commercials and the half-time show are what stay with most people more than the finer points of zone defense or shotgun formation variations.

Good for you re the dinner and the dinner conversation, and your bracelet-spinning and refraining from sipping. Too bad the couple-husband didn't appreciate that since not everyone at the table was partaking of the wine (which he knew), then devoting so much of the conversation to the virtues of his selection effectively excluded you from that part of the table chatter. But we abstainers need to get used to the inevitable triggers everywhere surrounding us in this social-drinking culture, and continuously be on our guard to avoid falling prey to the temptations.

Over the past month I've been out at bars and restaurants a good number of occasions, some purely by my choice to socialize with drinking friends even though I am abstaining and some dictated by the need to attend work events that happened to have alcohol available to attendees, and so far, I have found resistance to urges fairly easy to summon up, but I try to keep warily conscious of the threat to slip, as it sounds like you did with your friends.

Tomorrow I'm going to a Sunday brunch with a few people, including one, shall we say, very social social drinker, a long-time friend of mine whom I haven't seen since December, (before my 2 January 2020 Day 1). In extending the invitation to meet for brunch via a text, she wrote (being aware of my commitment to a Dry January), "Is it time to get wet?"

We made the plans to go to the brunch, and I anticipate this friend will be a bit surprised tomorrow when she sees that in fact I will not be getting wet. I'm ready to discuss my decision clearly and honestly if she wishes to engage about it, but I suspect that after a little awkwardness at jr's newfound "unsociability" the conversation will move on, and we will find it to be a truly social occasion, after all.

One breath, one meal, one day at a time.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:40 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Good job db7! Whatever it takes to not drink.

Jr good to see you still doing well.
Today was a good day for me. Nothing special happened but nothing bad happened. So good day.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Thanks, fishkiller. And look, here on the East Coast USA we are on to our Next Day, which is Day 32 for me. Each day now breaks my 50-year sobriety-streak record, formerly 31 days, achieved one time since 1969.

I napped earlier and I'm now catching Saturday Night Live and catching up with MY SR buds.

Happy Sunday and Yesterday Plus 1 all.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:24 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon here for me. After a busy and anxious week, I’m really enjoying some downtime

Lol Fish that made me laugh about the football

Cynix I hope you feel better soon. I felt pretty awful for a couple of weeks when I first got sober after drinking for a long, long time. It gets better, but perhaps see your doctor if you’re worried?

Wolfie I hope the brain fog clears, I still have some of it going too...

G’day Time Aussies often call in sick after big sporting events, the Australia Day long weekend, Melbourne Cup, etc. Many people use any excuse to drink and then chuck a sickie the next day. Thank goodness I don’t do that anymore...

Lucinda, wow! Well done on remembering everyone in the class of January! We’re a big class! And now we’ve graduated, hooray! I hope we stick together. I for one plan on sticking around in the class of January

Well done getting through that dinner Daisybelle7, that sounds really painful I’m glad I wasn’t there, not sure I could’ve coped with him without telling him to shut the **** up lol

Jr I have a friend like that, she keeps asking if I’m drinking again yet.... and I did slip up a few times after over a year sober, so she lives in hope that I’ll join her again.... nope! Not in my plans.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:42 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Thinking of you dear Cynix. It will get better.....this part is so not fun though. s xx

LOL fish....and thank you, cos I didn't want to say anything derogatory about NFL....Willow honey.....you would laugh as much as I did I think.....the game cracks me up. And wait until you hear the music....I was like what is going on.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:18 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Hi all
Just a quick check-in. A sober Sunday morning still feels like a rare and amazing thing.

MrWolfie. I couldn't agree more. The duration of physical withdrawal symptoms, for me, also went way longer than last time.
Cynix, hang in there. Be tough and push through this barrier. Post here when you need to.
Jr. So impressed that you began your journey by taking a dry January, reflected possibly, and signed up to see it through. No small feat. Especially as people sometimes scale back their sobriety goals this time of year. Great work.

Going to plan my today now.
Best of luck class mates getting through your day's, nights, brunches with dry-January friends and super-bowl party's.

dlb
Old 02-02-2020, 03:19 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Hi guys! It's Groundhog Day, and Phil will definitely NOT see a shadow here today. Heavy rain and wind, but I'm sitting inside under a blanket with a cup of tea. Day 9.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:26 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

So many things in one day....groundhog day, Super Bowl, Aus Tennis Open final (now)....

Hello Lixie and Bacchus. s xx
Old 02-02-2020, 03:27 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Awesome, Lixie
Nearly double digits.

& Hi Venuscat !!
Old 02-02-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Morning class!
I forgot it was groundhog day. Come on spring!