Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 6

Old 01-27-2020, 01:22 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Thanks for your wise words Dee, I always gain some new insight from them
Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I didn't follow any recovery programme or method Briansy.

I just accepted that to live the life I wanted to live and be the person I wanted to be, I could no longer get drunk or high.

I did not immediately lose the desire to get wasted - but I did commit to doing everything else I could but get wasted.

Over time I changed and the desire to get wasted, or flirt around the edges of getting wasted, disappeared.

There was a part of me that wanted to reach that point of abstinence in increments too, but I knew if I did that I might never get sober, or stay that way.

It had to be one decision backed up by a lot of action. A lot of posting here to rat myself out, or to simply share the good advice I knew I was capable of.

Hesitating just let my inner addict back in on the conversation.

It was a hard few months but still worth it all these years later

D
Yeah, my intention was never to take sobirety in increments, believe me my plan 2 years ago was to stop and stay stopped. But it just happened that way cos the truth is I wasn't ready - and it kinda had to for me as I am not left wondering - if you leave something on the table then that lingering doubt will be there - I feel like it has really been extinguished with drinking which is amazing. I needed to come to terms with it in my own time.

Friday was a good wake up call to stop thinking about getting high now that the abstinence from alcohol is looking like it can be sustained. It's the same mindset I guess: do that crap and at best your life stands still.

If I was in denial, I probably wouldn't have brought it up...
Old 01-27-2020, 02:17 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't have said you were in denial Briansy.

I remember the 'if you leave something on the table then that lingering doubt will be there' feeling tho.

Its a lot to accept that something we've considered one of our favourite things to do has turned on us.

D
Old 01-27-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Briansy, I also haven’t followed any recovery program or method, and that’s not what I meant when I said maybe think about your plan. I meant more: maybe ask yourself why this desire to get high came up for you now, and what you are going to do next time you feel that way.

I think I’ve said enough about this though. I don’t want to come across as judgmental. I just see a lot of myself in the way you’re compartmentalizing this and I know that didn’t work for me, but maybe you’ll have great success doing that. Who am I to say?

Day 86 for me, heading to work. See you all later.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:14 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

My brain is working now. Hi guys. s

I hear you Briansy. I see how Friday was important for you in the long run.

Just one thing....I don't think Briansy was getting any judgement at all from any of us....just love.

Goodnight Dee and Willow, good afternoon Brits (where is Taplow?) and good morning USers. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx s
Old 01-27-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Good morning dear SBTS..... s
I have watched so many movies and tv shows....you HAVE TO watch Series 1 of The Morning Show. It is absolutely brilliant....like knock your socks off good....I see why Jennifer Aniston won the SAG. xx
Old 01-27-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

I'll check it out Suze

Hey taplow, check in.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Hi all! Checking in on day 3. Have already seen my chiropractor and gotten my shot of B12, and I can feel the energy coming back to me. Still feeling dizzy though, hope those darn crystals in my ear can return to normal soon.
Went grocery shopping after, and my fridge is full of nice protein, fruit and vegetables - and most importantly, fizzy soft drinks.

It's like a fog has lifted, and I see things more clearly now. Why didn't I do this before? You guys tried to tell me, but I wouldn't listen. Well, that has changed. I'm in it for the long run now.

How are you guys doing?
Old 01-27-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hey Lixie honey......now is the right time. Somehow it is.....so that's wonderful love.

Gee, the Vit B shot and chiro sound like heaven to me right now.....I will go take a barocca. s xxx
Old 01-27-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Good morning all,
Congrats to all those counting days and to Dee for a very wise comment. Well, the news about Kobe is astounding...That's around the corner from where we live. Supposed to go to the vet, get my nails done, and see a hand surgeon (I dislocated my pinky and they can't just "pop it" into place. Don't know if I'll be able to get anywhere though, as many roads and freeway on/off ramps are closed. Going to have to go with the flow today. Hope everyone has a great Monday!
Old 01-27-2020, 10:59 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

It's just devastating ~ what a horrendous tragedy. s
Old 01-27-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
Briansy, I also haven’t followed any recovery program or method, and that’s not what I meant when I said maybe think about your plan. I meant more: maybe ask yourself why this desire to get high came up for you now, and what you are going to do next time you feel that way.

I think I’ve said enough about this though. I don’t want to come across as judgmental. I just see a lot of myself in the way you’re compartmentalizing this and I know that didn’t work for me, but maybe you’ll have great success doing that. Who am I to say?

Day 86 for me, heading to work. See you all later.
No, I know you were only trying to be helpful. Thankfully I've never really abused drugs that much or had a problem with them (other than the occasional recreational use but more so in my 20s) and Friday was not an experience I intend to repeat. But it was just a reminder to me of what I have and how it's not to be messed with under any circumstances - least of all when I'm actually feeling good - I literally did it for ***** and giggles not expecting to get as uncomfortably wired as I did.

Anyway, all of your input is very valuable to me and I am going to move on from this topic as it was a few days ago now and in the past. Didn't get a 5 mile walk today which is a bummer as it's lashing rain in London - it was almost pitch dark at 2PM!! Just too much darkness and grey! But we're nearly at an end to January and it's been a productive month so I really shouldn't complain.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

No formal recovery program for me either. I just stay focused and post on SR a lot.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:57 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

That's pretty much my program too Tiles, such as it is

Sorry about the rain Briansy. It was like that here on Saturday, didn't get many steps that day either.

4pm here, nearing the end of the workday. Just coming to the end of my 19 hr fast for today and looking forward to a snack. I accomplished a lot today; I got an abstract done for the conference presentation I'm hoping to do in June. It needs to be submitted by the end of the week. I presented at this conference last year so hopefully I'll be accepted again this year.

After work I plan to have dinner and chill with the cat. My bf has TWO book groups tonight. Lol! He has two every month but they're usually not on the SAME DAY. He has to go to one in person after work and then come home and do his other one on Gchat. It's lovely having him home. Our reunion last night was v nice.

I'll be back on soon when I'm home
Old 01-27-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

❤️
Old 01-27-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Good night all, day 3 all wrapped up. See ya tomorrow!
Old 01-27-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Goodnight love s ❤️
Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
No formal recovery program for me either. I just stay focused and post on SR a lot.
Me too Tiles, totally me too
Stay focussed and post on SR a lot

When I had more than a year of sobriety under my belt (mid 2018 - mid 2019) I slowly drifted off SR and stopped posting frequently and I lost my focus. Then I started drinking again, just here and there but it just crept back in because I have no control over it. So on January 1st I decided enough was enough.

And here I am starting out on day 28, focussed and posting on SR
Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Goodnight Lixie
I’m so glad you’re back here with us
Old 01-27-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

And I am so glad you are posting all of your posts darling Willow.....as I know you know, SR is my every day recovery. And it has not let me down....5 years and 3 months today. xx