Notices

Class of September Part 2 2019

Old 10-05-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

I wanted to drink today out of boredom and general loneliness. Alcohol solves both instantly. However, I am working the steps with a new sponsor and didn't want to throw away the progress I have made. My sponsor has gone out of his way to make time for me. Least I could do is resist a temporary urge to drink so I went for a walk instead of drinking. It helps to be somewhat accountable to someone.

I will go to sleep sober tonight.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Administrator

Double post.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol solves both instantly.
it doesn't tho.

Alxcohol is like a wet band aid for a long term problem. It keeps falling off and does nothing,

D
Old 10-05-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the best link on Paws I know runner.

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

D
Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hi everyone —

Good to see you all on here. Today was rough for the first half, but once I got outside things got much better. Mentally I felt heavy and just useless, even fell down the stairs (I’m ok). I went out with my wife and son this evening to a fall festival and had a great time. Getting outside and being part of my son’s experiencing of new things brought me joy and lifted my spirits. I went to an A.A. meeting afterwards, watched some SNL skits with my wife, and now I’m just winding down before bed.

I have experienced PAWS in the past, and it can be brutal. I have found getting out and doing something always helped, be it a walk, dinner, or even grocery shopping. Part of my problem earlier in the day today was isolating and letting my mind take me away. I know my mind and body have a lot of healing to do, and part of that healing is giving it time, sober. I’m so very grateful to have made it through this week without alcoholic, and I’m grateful for all of you here. We are, in a way, lucky to be here, trying, and stepping outside of the cycle instead of anchoring ourselves within it.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Well done, WL and Mike.

Today was kinda ho hum emotionally for me too. Kind of weird how I can start out so happy and ready for the day, run 4 miles (Yes!), then in the afternoon begin to "feel" those emotions that used to drive me to drink. I think this is a big part of the journey and if we all get through it, we will be on a much clearer peaceful path.
Isn't this why so many go back to the drink? This isn't easy. I feel like a soldier fighting in a war which I don't want to be in, but somehow I got myself involved. So, fight I will. Feeling introspective. Will go read now and get ready for bed.

Karen, I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Good night to all you special people. Hey, where's bobdrop? Hope you're ok!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Well said, Quitnow Enjoy your book and get a good night’s sleep. I’d love to hear from bobdrop, too.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

I’m still going strong.

Although I’ve not been counting days my operation was 6 weeks ago tomorrow so I’m on 42 days. I’ve had some post operative complications and my eye pressure reached 40 suddenly last week .

I’ve also been off coffee and sugar in an attempt to recover as quickly and as healthily as possible.

The though of drinking terrifies me at present and I can’t really see this changing. What with the great sleep I can’t really see this changing.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:34 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Good morning all. What a weekend, but first, it's 5 weeks for me today! Good to hear from you Midton. You too Mike and WL. Of course, Quit and Karen and Runner. Daria, Leo, Joy, and Awake as well.

So yesterday we had a 7:30 rehearsal with Gator Alumni Band. Then we had a BBQ lunch, went by tailgating and then off to the game. Gainesville was so packed with people yesterday that you didn't dare move your car once it was parked. So we walked everywhere we went, and it is a HUGE campus. I think my wife's phone said we did something like 15,000 steps. And it was brutally hot. The only time that I really had to fight off the booze was when it was time to do the shots of rum before the game. The guy offered it to me 4 TIMES! Anyway the game was awesome, but again, brutally hot. Gators knocked off #7 Auburn and now go to Baton Rouge to play #5 LSU next Saturday. I do think I'm getting too old to do these hot games, but then I look around the alumni band and there's people out there 20-25 years older than me. I don't know. Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble

Runner-Can't wait for the Jags game today. Venus-Not even sure who the Saints are playing today.

Might be back on here later today. Everything hurts so it might be a good day to sit on the couch with a laptop while watching football.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi folks! I haven't posted in a while. Was reading and saw the posts from Midton and wanted to you wish you well, Midton. That sounds so rough what you've been going through. Nothing worse in my mind than the thought of losing your eyesight so I would be feeling the same sort of fears you are feeling. I hope things continue to go well!

Hi Bobdrop, I'm glad things are going well for you! I understand the feeling of getting older (I'm now 55 and I feel a sort of craziness of lots of health stuff creeping in and yet a liberation of not caring about things as much... if that makes sense!)

As for me I'm doing well. I have been mostly alcohol free most of the year. I have pretty much eliminated the drinking alone at home I was doing, which was always a bad idea. Once you cut out the habit and develop new ones, it just gets easier. Like Midton I am terrified of drinking because I get horrible horrible hangovers. Like really really sick. I hate nausea more than just about anything so the idea of drinking is now terrifying to me.

Having said all of that I have had a couple of drinks with friends over the summer and most recently on one night in September... hence my September date. The last time I drank any alcohol was on 9/19 with a couple of old friends. I had two smallish glasses of wine and left it at that. Luckily I did not get sick this time, but I just consider that lucky. The next day I was dragging the entire day which meant I didn't sleep well. Decided that was enough.

Keep going, everyone and I will, too!

Last edited by Juno11; 10-06-2019 at 05:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Juno

Whenever I kept alcohol in my life things would get better for a while and then worse again.

Accepting that my relationship with alcohol has always been and would always be toxic helped make me see how self destructive the decision to drink again is.

Drinking makes change difficult if not impossible.
The only way we can truly really change is by putting the bottle down - for keeps

D
Old 10-06-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Way to go Mike and Wasting!
Congrats on 5 weeks, Bob!
Thanks to all of you for sharing where you're at. It helps a lot.
So good to hear from you Midton! I have wondered how you're doing. I'm still praying for you.
Dee, that was a fabulous link. I think it should be required reading, really. It helps me so much to know what I'm up against, know where some of these symptoms may be coming from, and know what I can do to make it better.
Quit, I'm feeling contemplative, too. And emotional. I'm going to take some time this morning and re-work my recovery plan. I'm still on the 'desperately trying to avoid a craving and get through it' plan. I think it's time to up my game.
I have Forty Days today!
Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Thanks Karen and congrats on 40 days!

Hi Juno. Makes sense to me.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Good morning all...

Wasting...So glad to hear from you and well done on taking a walk! Walking my dog in the evenings helped change my automatic response to drinking at night.
Dee...Thanks so much for the link...I can't wait to check it out!
Mike...Your comments are spot on....Yea for day 7!
Bob...Glad you had a fantastic AF time yesterday and CONGRATS on 5 weeks!!!! I can't believe I am actually excited to watch the Jags this year. GO JAGS!
Welcome Juno!
Midton...Glad to hear from you and congrats on 42. Praying for you!
Quit...Good on you for 4 miles! I find running helps balance my moods, unfortunately, some days it's short-lived.
Karen...CONGRATS on 40 Days!!!!

I need to get back to getting things ready before the game starts.

Wishing everyone a splendid sober Sunday!
Old 10-06-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

So much love everyone. s

Must check who is playing who...... xxxxxxxx (Saints v Buccaneers 1pm EDT ).

And extra love for injured peeps and recovering from surgery.... (((Midton))) ❤️❤️
Old 10-06-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Venus-I did look it up. Saints and Jags playing at the same time and both on TV here. I have therefore setup a 2nd TV so I can watch both

Mike-I must have missed it. Congrats on 7 days!
Old 10-06-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Venus, what's going on with your vision? You said, 'when I can see again,'.
I'm still writing my plan. A lot of it is diet and exercise. I'm not sure how I can exercise more than I do at work, other than walking Charley. I am just so down and exhausted and hurting all over. I am trying to make a list of what has to be done, and plan on only doing that.
Congrats to everyone on your sober milestones!
Old 10-06-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Oh sweetheart. s
Here to help, if I can.

My eyes....window cleaners came and were here for about 5 hours and used ammonia solution....I touched all of the windows, opening them and such afterwards, and must have not washed my hands and ended up with ammonia burns around my eyes, on my forehead and one cheek. So add this to my ear infection and I am not in a good way. Just irrigating as suggested and putting eczema moisturiser on the skin....

OK.....exhausted and hurting all over does not sound like more exercise is the first thing you need. s Your body needs some rest and pampering....maybe a bubble bath? You can do leg lifts in the bath and that can be your exercise for the day. Or maybe later you want to take Charlie for a walk....walking is wonderful gentle exercise. Good to get the kinks and aches out.

If I may share, I want to talk about how I handled the cravings and other intense feelings in the first months.... you mentioned that you want your plan to include 'avoiding cravings.' For me, this wasn't a consideration. I knew cravings were going to come, and they did for a long time. Knowing they would come sort of took the punch out of them: they never caught me by surprise. It was more like, hello, was wondering when you would pop your head up today, now kindly nick off. And thanks for sharing. (Sarcastically, and alway out loud).

And then I would go for a walk, or put on music and dance around, sing to my cat....I got some great looks....here is one.....

I feel that self-care is what needs to be done, if you can love....and that can include working on your plan....but I think you are doing incredibly well. Maybe you can sit outside again for a while and enjoy the fresh air and tell Karen how awesome she is. ❤️❤️
Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Hi Runner love....go Saints and whoever your teams are....this is all new to me so I keep forgetting. ❤️❤️
Old 10-06-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

I was at an AA meeting this morning and a young guy was all out of sorts from relapsing the night before. I could hear the desperation in his voice and knew exactly how he was feeling. Sunday mornings after a bender are some of the worst moments I have had to endure. Complete hopelessness.

I am glad to be sober this Sunday. Although, for some reason, I always seem to have a low mood on Sundays. I think it stems from childhood and memories of dreading school the next day because my homework wasn't done and my mother being drunk by dinnertime.