Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 3

Old 03-18-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pupper View Post
Checking in to say that morning meeting was great - very glad to start my day with that positivity. As someone there said, in an evening meeting you bring your day with you - with a morning meeting you bring that into your day. Feeling it. And I made an AA friend today.

Related: this article that SoberSoul Recovery shared on Facebook today, with the quote below which - wow - resonates a lot with me and speaks to why I've found these meetings so helpful:

"Something I hear a lot in meetings – especially from women, is that they felt different and out of place as a child. This was certainly the case for me. I was more or less born a tiny forty-year-old. I was strange. I was never comfortable. Sure I made friends, and some very good ones at that. But in most situations where I met new people, they usually didn’t take to me right away.

And then? Alcohol. The great social lubricant that made me outgoing and charming. (Or at least it did in my own head). It allowed me to mix with people and be silly. It let me have fun. Until it didn’t."

(I don't have enough posts to link directly, so you'd have to find the anonymous mommy website and the article about making new mom-friends from August 2017)

I relate to that ALOT!!! I only really felt like I fit in in high school and college when I was drinking. I was the life of the party when I was drinking and then the next day would roll around and I wanted to crawl under a rock and hide again. It was crazy! Like 2 different people!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
I used to go to 7 am meetings....great way to start your day pupper! Now I do SR...but, hey, whatever works! Solved a major crisis this morning and FOUND MY PHONE!!! It's been "lost" since mid-morning yesterday, and I have SO needed it, since I am in the middle of working on this case with my lawyer friend! She wants to file complaints today, and she wanted me to review them...but I didn't have her number to call her back So, now the day can move on as plannedHave to go to the doc with hubby about his nose and (again) doing paperwork. Yesterday turned out to be a GREAT day! Walked, did LOTS of gardening (planting new plants) ....such that my thighs hurt from squatting....AND even paid bills! Never would have been able to do this if I were drinking! I took my "cancer nap" in the afternoon and slept until 6:00pm! Hubby made dinner, so I got even MORE of a break! I've been up since 5:30 am (naturally), but I had a TERRIBLE night's sleep....(probably because of the long nap) but I am up and at 'em already today! Hope all are well....another sober day...YES!

Wow! You got ALOT done!!! Good for you! Where did you lose your phone? What a nightmare!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Well I am so glad today is over! Today sucked! Not sure why but it just did! I was depressed, anxious, angry, tired, lonely (but didn’t want to be around people...WTF?). I was literally an emotional train wreck! After sitting in my own SH-T all day I got to a point where I couldn’t stand myself anymore so I forced myself to go for a very long brisk walk and to a meeting. I saw some friends and after the walk & my meeting I felt like a new person! Whew! My poor husband. He texted me to ask me how my day was going and my one word answer in my text was “HORRIBLE!” After a few other rude texts I sent to him he didn’t come home from work until after 9:00 pm tonight (2-3 hours later than usual). He was probably terrified to. Lol!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:53 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Could I go a drink. Several drinks.
Have just returned from a hot argumentative heated meeting with local officials over this planning issue that proposes a thumping gym with a 5a.m. start right near here.
I could really just use some time out from ALL of it right now.

Deep breaths.....think about how it will be in the morning. Etc etc. Its a moment. Just a moment. It will pass.....
Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Administrator

you know it's true canguy

D
Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Originally Posted by Addy47 View Post
Michigan State is GOOD!!! I think they have a chance to win it all!
First they have to get past Duke. They got screwed in the bracket - Michigan was ranked lower but has a better chance to get farther. Or at least that’s what the article I read says. 😉

Canguy, I hear you on the frustration. We have our own noisemaker in our area and it sucks when nodoby wants to listen to you or seems to be on the side of the noisemaker. Hang in there and don’t be me - don’t drink!
Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Wow....seems like yesterday was a tough one all around! For me, like all of us I guess, frustration, stress and anger are HUGE triggers. Guess that's why it's a one day at a time deal....Today, I am up before hubby (as usual) but I really do cherish this time alone, I am going to make a final decision as to whether or not we will go to Boston in June and tie up a bunch of lose ends....same ol', same ol'...keep the faith and have an awesome day!

OH...BTW...finally found my phone that was right in front of me on the front seat of my rental car. Never even looked there since I hadn't driven it the day before......now, if I could just find that gardening spade that I was using.....lol
Old 03-19-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Canguy?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Foie: my husband was listening to a sports radio show yesterday and they said Michigan State could beat Duke because they have 3 big guys that could shut down Zion Williamson. Also never had a team with 2 freshman ever win the National Championship and Duke has 4 freshmen in its starting line up! I’m rooting for Michigan State! (Sorry everyone...this is USA Collegr basketball talk. Lol)
Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Wow....seems like yesterday was a tough one all around! For me, like all of us I guess, frustration, stress and anger are HUGE triggers. Guess that's why it's a one day at a time deal....Today, I am up before hubby (as usual) but I really do cherish this time alone, I am going to make a final decision as to whether or not we will go to Boston in June and tie up a bunch of lose ends....same ol', same ol'...keep the faith and have an awesome day!

OH...BTW...finally found my phone that was right in front of me on the front seat of my rental car. Never even looked there since I hadn't driven it the day before......now, if I could just find that gardening spade that I was using.....lol
Lol Trudging! I keep losing stuff too and yesterday I kept dropping stuff!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Well...my official check in! Am I the only one that has a REALLY hard time getting out of bed in the morning???
Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Interesting to think about how alcohol made us feel when we first started drinking. That was a really long time ago. Uber interesting that I don't remember much except that.

I always could drink liquids fast. Still do. I can down a bottle of water like it's nothing. That didn't help. I always felt different. I'm not so sure that most people don't feel different from everyone else when they are young. Someone probably just forgot to tell me that. I still feel different. I just chalk that up to being introverted, semi-artistic, and sensitive. I can pretend to be outgoing and social but I am really not. I could live on Walden's pond and be perfectly happy if I could get away with it. As long as I have the internet.

Just plugging along here. Happy to not be drinking for sure.

Have a great day or night!
xoxo
Old 03-19-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well this evening (or whatever time it is where you are!) Just checking in at... My app says 45 days! That's exciting!
I realized today that I feel good about my evenings now. I used to dread them because I knew I was going to drink, and then I dreaded them because I knew I couldn't drink. But lately, I haven't been thinking about the drinking at all, and it's lifted the doomy feelings. Sometimes I find myself realizing that I can be happy, and that I can process and deal with how I'm feeling when I'm not. I'm very grateful!
Old 03-19-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Foie: my husband was listening to a sports radio show yesterday and they said Michigan State could beat Duke because they have 3 big guys that could shut down Zion Williamson. Also never had a team with 2 freshman ever win the National Championship and Duke has 4 freshmen in its starting line up! I’m rooting for Michigan State! (Sorry everyone...this is USA Collegr basketball talk. Lol)
I hope so!

I wonder why being sick makes me want to drink. I mean I feel like crap with a bad sinus infection, and the CVS has all this stuff out on displays on the way to the pharmacy and yeah. The thoughts start. The stuff isn’t comfort food - geez. Of course ( 😊 ) I walked right by. Yay.

I’ve been invited out to a girls night Thursday with my old hockey-mom friends. Haven’t seen them since last summer. I think I’ll be ok (I was always good in public) and I wouldn’t be able to drink on the antibiotics and steroid anyway. But I will hone my sober skills between now and then because I really want to see them. They aren’t the types to urge wine on me if I stick to water.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Lol Trudging! I keep losing stuff too and yesterday I kept dropping stuff!
The struggle is real. I drop stuff CONSTANTLY and I found out this morning that I left my car keys on my trunk (they were frozen in place). The good news, the car was still there, which was shocking and unlikely.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lipstuck View Post
The struggle is real. I drop stuff CONSTANTLY and I found out this morning that I left my car keys on my trunk (they were frozen in place). The good news, the car was still there, which was shocking and unlikely.
Ha! A fellow AA'er walked into morning meeting today saying, "Did someone drop their subway pass on their way in this morning?" I checked my pocket. Yep. Me.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Hahahaha! So glad I'm not alone! Hubby keeps saying it's "early onset of dementia"....I just laugh and walk away slowly....BUT....today, with all of these attempted travel plans, I don't know if I booked a trip to Boston or not....ugh! I've called expedia....they show nothing except our Dec. trip (thank God) ....and now I am going crazy, thinking that maybe i booked it though Orbitz or ????? I swear....these are NOT the "Golden Years"! If so, they are quite tarnished...lol...
Anyway, today was productive, but not as much as I would have liked. Ended up napping for about 2 hours and now I feel as if I blew the whole day! Didn't walk this morning (cuz it was POURING) and now that it is beautiful outside, since I just woke up, I don't wanna walk! Soooo at this point, I am looking forward to tomorrow , so that I can get back into my "routine". Right now, I just wanna go back to sleep....BUT...I have to make dinner...yada...yada...Hope all are well!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:23 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Popping in from the January 2019 class to say hello to my friends in the Feb class. It's worth the sober ride folks. Sobriety has not solved all my problems but I'm experiencing so many wonderful feelings that have been repressed during twenty something years of drinking. I don't have much more time than many of you (79 days) but I'm enjoying life a lot more than I did when I was drunk/hungover every day. But, yes Addy, I do have a hard time still jumping out of bed. But at least my head doesn't hurt and I can actually enjoy looking at the sunlight.

I'd be happy t hear from others in the Feb class, if you want to check-in.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

33 days for me!! I made a month!! Alert the press!!!

I'm trying to think of all the things that have improved. I am not coming up with anything out of the ordinary. I still get depressed. I still have stress. I still feel a little lost BUT...I feel like just a normal person now. All of the above are just life and I do feel like I can handle life better without drinking so big plus on that one. No pink cloud for me. I think because this is round 3 on quitting for good I used up all my clouds. I just get the feeling of this is what I am supposed to do. Be a grown-up and handle life.

It just feels realistic to me now. This is how I have to live. Without alcohol. So suck it up and do it. I want to do it. I see it's better. I just am not feeling too giddy about it. Probably part of the depression so I just take what I can get. It's still better than it was.

Have a good one!
xoxo
Old 03-21-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Way to go 360shoes! Yes, life is indeed better without alcohol! I was a blackout drinker....so I don't remember a lot of stuff that I did. Fortunately (or unfortunately..lol) hubby always remembered EVERYTHING...often to my horror! It's so nice now, not to have to worry about those things!

Handling life is difficult enough, without the added stress of alcohol!