Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 3

Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I'm a poster. Not a talker. If I go back to my first posts a few years ago they are 12 pages long. I haven't gone back to read them. I'm too scared. I just remember doing a lot of posting....long posting.

I would say I am half measuring the AA Addy. I told my sponsor I need to put it on hold for now. Feel free to give opinions. I'm not above listening to others. I'm fine with opinions.

All I know is getting a handle with this depression is a full time job right now. The support here feels like enough for the not drinking. I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about depression but it's my reality. Trust me. You can't exercise major depression away, you can't gratitude it away, you can't just change your attitude it away. I'm getting professional help so my plate is pretty full as is.

So SR and doctors for me right now.

I'm with you Trudging! Nails and toes are not relaxing to me either. In fact, I always tell them to not massage my hands and feet. Just do the necessary parts and let's get this over with. I like the end results but do not like the process. Not a fan of getting my hair done either. I do it. Love my stylist and enjoy talking to her but if I could just get that down to 15 minutes and not 3 hours I would be very happy.

Have a great weekend!
xoxo
Old 03-23-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Sorry Addy...I get quite mixed up sometimes with posting (names)...so I guess my post was to whoever IS sick..I think it was FG.....lol! I'm glad that you can relate 360! Nails, hair, facials are NOT relaxing (well...maybe the facials)..but it is just "maintenance".....I am feeling pretty accomplished already this morning! Was supposed to have an appt. to start a couple of implants on Tuesday, but then realized that I have impt. meetings to attend on Wed. and Thursday...and one of the implants is on one of my front teeth! So THAT appt. is not happening! Hubby needs a gazillion implants that are gonna cost over $30,000.00....ugh....as part of my inheritance will go there (and then mine)!!! I swear, money is the ruin of all evil, as they say....still trying to book a June trip for family reunion in Boston, but this is DEFINITELY going to set us back.....not sure if we will be able to make it...but then again, what's $1000.00 + to see family???? I dunno, just in a quandary...but that's just little "stuff" compared to staying sober! The biggest glitch is that my alcoholic sister will be there...and at the last reunion she not only went into the pool (fully dressed), but then (soaking wet) she passed out on my cousin's leather couch! Definitely won't stay with her I have been EXHAUSTED lately. Just choose to sleep. Could be depression or (more likely) the feeling of being overwhelmed. Just pushing through these days. Hubby wants me to go grocery shopping (which I also HATE), so I guess I will go this afternoon (if I don't fall asleep first...lol) Hope all is well with everyone for the weekend!
Old 03-23-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi NotMe2! Congrats on 54 days! That’s amazing! I totally understand aboutvit seeming so long yet so short. I too am riding the waves of emotions and it’s starting to make me dizzy. Lol. Keep talking! I love hearing what you have to say!
Old 03-23-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

360 heyyy!

Do whatever works! I would never push AA on anyone because it’s not the solution for everyone. I was just wondering if you went? I guess my favorite part about it besides being FREE is the people! I like being around people who truly understand what it’s like to be a recovering alcoholic. Plus they are pretty cool people!

I’m so sorry about your depression. I have waves of depression too. It’s really hard. I’m giving it a little more time and I will see if I too need to see a doctor.

I understand about the hair and nails. I don’t like people I don’t know very well touching me!
Old 03-23-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Trudging, no worries! Lol. I’ve nern mixed up lately too. Ha!

$30,000 is a lot of money! Are they gold? Haha just kidding! I have a love-hate relationship with money. I need a job! I’ve been a stay at home mom for 20 years so I’m anxious to get back to work sometime this year. Not only do I want to make $ but I’m BORED because my kids are all teens and don’t really need me anymore. They grow up so fast! Sniff sniff.

Maybe your sister will see you sober & follow suit?

I’ve been exhausted too!!! And I hate grocery shopping too!
Old 03-23-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Well I have 47 days today. I’m doing pretty good. Bored and fighting a bad cold. I was up half the night last night with terrible insomnia again. Yuck!

***Has anyone heard from Canguy???***
Old 03-23-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Sober for daughter’s party. 2 years in a row now!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit concerned about how much I am sleeping! Went to bed at 8 and slept until 7, and that's not counting the 2 hour nap I had yesterday! I think it might be boredom (even though I have soooo much to do!) or avoidance behavior. As I have mentioned before, I LOVE sleeping as it provides an "escape", so to speak. Thus, my desk is still covered in paperwork....ugh! Today I am going to try to NOT take a nap and see how late I stay up! I have great plans to make some progress today...but, we'll see what happens!

Addy, I have been sober before, for years at a time and my sister doesn't care. She plans EVERYTHING around drinking. She has a personal driver so she doesn't get a DUI even! Although I must say that she is a functional alcoholic; she has her own (successful) law firm and makes it into the office daily, even if she has "the shakes". It's sad, really...given that she was there when my mom died from alcoholism.....but, hey....it's not for me to judge. Just have to "keep my side of the sidewalk clean".
Great job, LastChance! I remember quite a few birthday parties (when my girls were in preschool) during which I was either drinking oor smashed...ugh. Good for you!
Well, off to start a new, sober day! Have a good one, all!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Wow...$30k. I've lived in homes cheaper than that. I would check to see what Brazil charges for implants. You can probably rent a vacation home, get them all done, and still save money. I had a friend that used to do that years ago. He would go to Brazil for dental work so he got a vacation and his crowns and still saved money. $30k for teeth. Seriously...no wonder 3rd world countries hate us. That and we are so lazy that we won't even get out of our car to get food people have cooked for us. We drive to a window so they can hand it to us. Meanwhile, some woman out in the world is walking 5 miles with a terra cotta pot on her head just to get drinking water. Hey, Trudging. I would do the same thing so I'm not judging. I spent $5k on 3 teeth and I don't get out of my car for a $7 cup of coffee. I just don't understand the world sometimes.

I will still go to meetings Addy. I like the people too. I just couldn't do the working the program right now anymore than I can. I was in rehab years ago so it's not like I don't know it pretty well. I don't really have a problem with knowing how to live a decent life. I just don't give a sh*t to do it when I am drinking. So as long as I don't drink, I do pretty well with SR support. If I get in a pickle, I will reach out to someone before I do anything stupid.

That reminds me of a funny story. When I was in treatment, one of the dude's dad was a pastor. On visiting day, we were showing him the 12 steps and Pastor said "well this sounds like a good way to live. a) you ain't God. b) be honest c) if you mess up, apologize and try to make it right c) help others and don't be selfish". He pretty much summed up the steps pretty well. It was then I realized that when I don't drink, I pretty much know how to live...it's when I drink it all goes out the window.

Have a good one!
xoxo
Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Yeah, well $30,000 is only for HIS implants...not including those that I need! Having lived in Costa Rica for 6 years, I know that it can be done cheaper....BUT...did you know that other countries only require 4 years of college for dentistry, whereas in the USA it takes 6 years (not to mention the years of specialization required for implants)? The dentists in CR told us our teeth were in "great shape"....NOT!!!

I LOVE THE STORY ABOUT THE PASTOR....360!!!! I did AA for many years, but ya know, when all was said and done, and we moved to Costa Rica in 2011....NOT WORD ONE from anyone! Not my sponsor, any "friends" in AA...nada.....sooooo...I had to do it myself with the support of SR!!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Hi guys! I’m still here. Still sick. Developed a sinus infection, was on steroids (so I ate all the things) and am battling an antibiotic from Hell. I think I am going to call the VA tomorrow and ask fir something different - this one was prescribed by urgent care and is causing some pretty significant abdominal/stomach pain.

But not drinking - and don’t want to this time being sick. I just want my stomach back to normal.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates! I asked someone yesterday if they would be my sponsor, and we made a plan to talk on Friday after morning meeting about what that would look like. I'm excited because I feel like that will give me the structure I need to start working the steps, and the steps and the program are what's going to get me through this. Today is day 44 for me.

I totally agree with what your friend's pastor father said - it really is just a guide to live well. Part of what drew me to AA was seeing and admiring how folks I know in recovery deal with their lives.

I'm a little nervous because an old friend who used to drink heavily, then had some health issues that forced her to cut back, is visiting this week and will be moving here in a couple of months (from abroad, where we met and used to carouse together). I'm seeing her for dinner tomorrow night and am a little worried about her expecting to share a bottle of wine (or 4). I think I'll write her today about the dinner reservation and mention that I'm not drinking right now. By the time she moves here it will have been 3 months sober for me. She's a good friend, and one who I don't expect to give me a hard time, but I'm still nervous.

Good luck out there, folks.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I would pretty much pass on implants in Costa Rica too Trudging.

I try to remember that AA isn't exactly full of perfect people. Or a room full of medical experts. Just a group of people trying their best to stay sober. So I take what works and don't pay too much attention to any controversy.

Hope you start feeling better FG. Nothing fun about being sick. And side effects from meds can be interesting to say the least.

Hope everyone is doing okay. I'm hanging in there!
xoxo
Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Calling Canguy! Check in please!

Hope everyone has a good day. I got a huge project off of my desk then went home early from work. Hopefully will be better tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

......checking in. Hi all , all good here
Just been busy with house guest and goin to meetings re the planning issue which is haunting the neighbourhood.

Otherwise....still sober.....sat through a dinner last night with a table of others all getting loose on drinks. The men all make a show of 'throwing it back', but not really serious drinkers. They stop then wander off home.

For the serious drinker....the dinner is only good for starters.
New skills....learning to be a bit more conversational maybe.

keep goin everybody....
Old 03-26-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Hi Canguy! ::waves::
Old 03-26-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hi FG.......all good, we keep on.....
Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Yes, we do. 🙂
Old 03-26-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Sorry I’ve been missing. We are on spring break. 50 days today! I’ll catch up on the posts soon.

Good to see you Canguy!

Trudging...aren’t you glad you aren’t your sister? What a sad way to live. Alcoholism is so terrible!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Congrats on 50 Addy.