Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 3

Old 03-12-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good to see that everyone is doing well....I AM A MESS....trying to do too much, people hounding me to do more....just wanna crawl under the covers and sleep.....but can't since fmilies are depending on me to support their children.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Having a REALLY hard day. I WANNA DRINK to make it all go away....
Old 03-12-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Hang in there trudging. Can anyone else take some of your tasks?
Old 03-12-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Sorry Trudging. I completely relate. Today has probably been one of the toughest days I’ve had emotionally. I didn’t stop at the store to get anything. I know it will make me sick. But I am a complete mess. I feel like everything is hitting me at once & I am just pounded in the ground. Suffocating.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Had a really intense, all-night dream about trying to get booze. Trying to sneak it out and drink it without anyone noticing. Very strong cravings all night in dream. I woke up starving because I didn't each much dinner. It's amazing how similar hunger and cravings feel.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Hunger definitely has an effect. At least it does for me.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:42 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hang in there Trudging, you to Notme.....we can do this.
Just get through today and let tomorro be another day.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I posted this morning Trudging but it didn't 'take' obviously.

What I sad was that drinking doesn't really make it go away and that it only ensures another bad day ahead when you wake up hungover.

The first time I had a bad day and didn't drink and got through the bad day anyway was a revelation to me.

Hope it was for you too and that you got through ok.

D
Old 03-13-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Dee74, your words are wise! It feels harder (I think, to me) because I'm not slamming my hand down on a "snooze" button (by drinking), but all hitting that button does is build up what needs to be addressed (my needs, my loved ones' needs) and compound those issues/tasks with other problems (or sources of guilt).

trudgingagain, NotMe2pls, lastchance77, I am right there with you. Nightmares about forgetting responsibilities because I was too busy drinking, walked into my father's house and he had a bottle of cheap champagne in the fridge (my old favorite - I liked to pretend it made me "fancy"), avoiding drinking buddies even though they know I'm "not drinking right now" because I don't know if I can face them and the temptation... I guess I'm pressing a different kind of "snooze" button on those friendships for now, but that feels like the best I can do for myself.

Solidarity, y'all. Today is a new day. We made it through yesterday. I'm proud of you.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I am keeping my expectations on the low side. I expect to not feel great much. But even the hard days are still better than the drunk days.

Dealing with the anxiety and depression too. The anxiety has massively improved. Depression a little. I just figure it's all part of recovering. I'm not dreaming of drinking at all. And so far the cravings are manageable and not too often.

I know for a fact it gets better. I have been through this before. It just takes time. Hang in there everyone. We can do this.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Well....I made it though one heck of a day yesterday! Basically, I just didn't do as much as I was hoping to do, but I just shut down, ate dinner and watched TV. I realized that (once again) I was sabotaging myself and beating myself up because "others" are counting on me. I work as an advocate for families who have students with special needs, and an attorney (who I represented previously) contacted me to assist her on a new case. I am doing most of the work on the case (since I was an educator/administrator of special education for 30 years) and thus have the expertise in this area of the law. At any rate, I am sober this morning and clear-headed....YAY! So, I will "give it hell" this morning! Thanks all for the words of wisdom and support
Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
I work as an advocate for families who have students with special needs, and an attorney (who I represented previously) contacted me to assist her on a new case. I am doing most of the work on the case (since I was an educator/administrator of special education for 30 years) and thus have the expertise in this area of the law.
Oh my gosh, as a family member of an individual with CP & intellectual disability, thank you for the work you do and have done! I feel you on the "people counting on me" thing, and I am proud of you for putting your own oxygen mask on first!
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

OH! AND....yesterday we both met with the periodontist for 3 hours! It seems hubby needs about 10 implants! I have 2 left to do. Not sure how we'll afford this. I did receive quite a large inheritance last year, but we are looking at between 30-35,000 dollars! Soooo we will be going over THAT today as well! AND....life goes on....
Old 03-13-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lightanddark View Post
Addy yes the run did help, a great deal, now if I can only make it a habit i'd be flying it. I'm planning on joining a football league Wednesday too, trying to find other things that don't involve drinking that I can do as I am getting a bit down in my (necessary) isolation. I neither can nor wan't to join my friends in pubs or clubs.

We are all in this rollacoaster together, but at least in sobriety, with time we can actually focus on these emotions such as feeling down, and anxiety etc, and ACTUALLY find the root cause. Sometimes there is more behind it than the substance abuse issues, sometimes they are a symptom of more (of course paradoxically substances just make things worse and become an issue in themselves as we all know!). For me alcohol was being used to suppress those feelings, drugs to not have to feel at all bar feeling good for a few hours. Then so much time would be spent trying to feel 'normal' again, then to just repeat the cycle by getting all fudged up again when I started to finally feel better. All this was proving to be a massive distraction to actually solving my issues. And that's just one reason among many that I am staying sober.

Evo and 360 I'm glad you guys are doing better. I feel like I am too, overall anxiety is way down. I'm having more good days than bad.

Only thing now is the clash between my old life (drinking buddies, girlfriend still using) and my new life of sobriety. BUT...I'm done people pleasing, I'm putting my sobriety first.
Wow L&D this is really good and so true!!! I couldn’t have said it better myself!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hey Pupper! Congrats on a month!

I’m so sorry to hear about your father and having bronchitis. How lucky your brother is to have a sober sister to take care of him!

I have that book. I’ll be sure to read it and not LISTEN to it. Lol.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post
Had a really intense, all-night dream about trying to get booze. Trying to sneak it out and drink it without anyone noticing. Very strong cravings all night in dream. I woke up starving because I didn't each much dinner. It's amazing how similar hunger and cravings feel.
I agree lastchance! Hunger is a HUGE trigger for me!

Have you ever heard of HALT?

H-Hungry
A-Angry
L-Lonely
T-Tired
...and I add an “S” to the end of it for Stressed.

Those are my biggest triggers! I need to keep all of those things in check!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey Canguy, you doing ok?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

So true Dee! Drinking just postpones the misery.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
I am keeping my expectations on the low side. I expect to not feel great much. But even the hard days are still better than the drunk days.

Dealing with the anxiety and depression too. The anxiety has massively improved. Depression a little. I just figure it's all part of recovering. I'm not dreaming of drinking at all. And so far the cravings are manageable and not too often.

I know for a fact it gets better. I have been through this before. It just takes time. Hang in there everyone. We can do this.
Good idea 360! I’m gonna start trying to keep my expectations on the low side too. Exercising really helps my depression. If I can get myself outside and started on my 1 hour power walk I ALWAYS feel better after! I just did it last night.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Great job Trudging! I love that you just stopped and took care of yourself in a healthy way. Inspiring and I bet you are so happy you didn’t drink!