D
Old 08-20-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Welcome in the One Year and Under Club Briansy

I'm here because of Purps suggestion in the 24 hours thread too
Old 08-20-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome Briansy, I hope we can help you through the tough days and, you know what... you got through it sober. I definitely count that as a win.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Good to see you Briansy and CK! This thread does get quiet at times, so I took Toots' advice and sent out a couple of invitations....hopefully it'll pick back up again! Glad to be here with you all
Old 08-20-2019, 10:14 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Briansy and everyone

When I was new to SR I didn’t use the ’unders’ thread. I’m not sure why, whether I didn’t see it or more probably, easier for me to help others than face my demons.

It’s took me a few years to start looking around SR and meeting new people.

I found SR when I stopped drinking but knew I needed help to stay stopped. I’d stopped for 8 months years ago and then thought I was normal again and could drink...big mistake.

I read comments from SR members and gradually built up my tool box. SR is now part of my life, and my main tool for keeping sober.

Don’t get me wrong...I don’t yearn a drink anymore, I’m so much happier as a sober person, but I’m also aware of complacency and I never want to get too sure of myself again, thinking I can drink.

It’s fair to say that sobriety has set me free.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Well said Mags my friend. The 'Undies' was a lifeline for me, an additional tool to my Class thread. Here you can help someone through the early days of withdrawal and help that same person celebrate their first soberversary. You can call for help when the struggle feels too much and boy were there times I needed that!

Thanks Purp, this thread works so well when there are plenty of folk helping each other and supporting each other.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:49 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Mags! So scary how that "beast" is lurking right around the corner, at least mine is....whispering "every once in a while will be okay" ~ though I know it's BS.....

Edited to add: And Thanks to you Toots! You keep this thread going ~ Thanks for all your continued support
Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

I am late to the party, welcome Briansy!
Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Well, my good friend Purps suggested I check this thread out. If she suggests it, I know it's a good idea.

I hope your AV withers away to nothing, Purps. You are doing awesome things
Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Hi, I want to say a quick hello. I'm Jen, on day two, and have also been doing the Annie Grace alcohol experiment. I am here to meet some new friends and gain some sober living support. Look forward to chatting with you all!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Jen, welcome to the ‘unders’ Congratulations on day 2.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Hi Jen!

I did the Annie Grace experiment & once I got through the first 30 days I repeated it a couple of times....I should probably go back and read the lessons again; there's so much helpful info! Glad to have you with us
Old 08-21-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome imjustjen

D
Old 08-21-2019, 11:57 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Welcome Jen, I hadn't heard of Annie Grace when I first came here, but it was attempting -and majorly failing - 'Dry January' which made me realise I could not do this without support. I also had to own my drink problem and commit to change

That is super scary when our AV is constantly bleating that we don't have a problem! For me it said I was just a glutton who drank too much. And of course I compared my drinking with my ex who was a hardened alcoholic, and decided that as I wasn't as bad as him, I was ok! The things we do to justify just one more drink.
It was here I learned that was my addiction talking and I had to learn to let my rational self be louder.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:23 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Putting my toe in the water here. (Thanks Purps for the suggestion). Didn't really consider I had enough sober days under my belt to join in here but now I'm over two months I feel I may make so bold! I'm going to read through recent posts and start contributing especially since my monthly group seems to be going a bit quiet. Look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too Rose

D
Old 08-22-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Good to see you Rose!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Welcome Rose and congrats on getting 2 months under your belt. 2 months was a good foundational point when I realized I now had some investment (time) into maintaining a new sober life. In fact I remember the exact moment, it was day 62. It was a small victory and turning point towards the unknown. Stay on the bus!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Thanks for sharing Mags! So scary how that "beast" is lurking right around the corner, at least mine is....whispering "every once in a while will be okay" ~ though I know it's BS.....

Edited to add: And Thanks to you Toots! You keep this thread going ~ Thanks for all your continued support
I hear you Purps. I was watching a show on TV last night, and in part of it there are 4 guys out camping/hunting and sitting around with a bottle of booze. Making it all look very macho and cool - but it's not - at least certainly not for me. It can be hard to fend off the constant barrage of marketing and general peer pressure - the beast feeds on those things. You seem to be good at recognizing that

I hope all the Unders have a great day!!
Old 08-22-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

I would like to join in on your thread. I am kicking myself because I am back on day 3 (again). I am having such a hard time breaking this 40 year habit. Drinking is all I have ever known in my life since a teenager to old woman ☹ to deal with everything; good, bad, celebrate, tired, etc., how stupid. I drink my feelings, whatever they may be at the moment, AWAY!

I had a couple of months recently, but because of a million excuses I chose to drink again, and been in that depressive rut since.

The last drink I had was a couple of days ago and while having a conversation with my husband who is also an alcoholic and our marriage is falling apart, I had a spoon in my hands that I just bent it in half with the anger I was feeling at how I want out of this.

I have that crumbled spoon near me to remind me that I have to create a better life for myself. I am dying here, I am killing myself. I have been dependent on alcohol and my husband for my identity for my whole adult life. I need to find out who I am, feel who I am, think for myself without altering my thoughts with toxic input. If this isn’t my bottom, I sure hope I don’t see it any deeper than this because this hurts to much.

My husbands health has become so bad from drinking and all the health problems caused by drinking that I don’t even feel safe driving in the same vehicle with him. Quite often lately he gets so incoherent, even when not drinking that his decision making is so messed up. I hate living in this environment and lifestyle.

I want more for myself, I want to live, and I know I need to become strong and grab on to my life and make it a better one. I know I have said this before about wanting more for myself with my numerous past quits, but I don’t think I have ever hurt this bad before, I can’t let myself go any lower than this.

How’s that for my intoduction, ☹ My feelings are still muddled and depressed, but I am better than yesterday.

I see some familiar faces here, hello! And lot’s of people with great thoughts and posts that I would like to get to know better, hello! This thread caught my eye because of the discussions going on here about recovering, this feels like where I should be.