Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-22-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome UhOh and sweetichick

I hope everyone has a good day/night - Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it

Bonniefloyd - you can do this...imagine how good you'll feel Monday...sober

these links are worth their weight in gold -worth looking into for anyone having a tough time

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

Hi Obo, RAL, BF, orderfororder, Casey, Joy TJV, otterisland, clearpath amanda, red, GhostFace Chaisson and any one I have missed from recent pages
D
Old 11-22-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Bonniefloyd, sorry you are having a tough time. You had commented on my post last week when I was having a difficult moment. I found after about an hour or so it passed. No need to think about Monday, just think about not drinking now. You can make it, and you will feel great in the morning
Old 11-22-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Administrator

I knew I'd miss a few people - hi RD2Quit

D
Old 11-22-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Hi Dee! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm in Australia RD - but every days thanksgiving day for me
Old 11-22-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Hi Guys!

Bonniefloyd… My youngest is my destructive one. He loves getting into the kitchen and it drives me crazy. I would lay down my life for my children (and in a lot of ways I feel that I have!), but MAN! I can’t wait for them to GTFO. I hope no one judges me for saying that, but honestly… I am so burned out and DONE. The teenage years – pretty much all of the double digits - have been AWFUL. So bad that I can’t tell you the last good day we’ve had and I think when I did experience one, I cried tears of joy. Sadly, it couldn’t have been THAT good because I can’t even remember what it was that made me cry tears of joy. It feels like the biggest ripoff in the world. Anyway… you are not alone. I could have written so much in your post #231. I ended up having to climb into the backseat to hold all the food down. I was pissed! On the way home, my trifle fell over, but at that point, I gave up! YES! SERENITY NOW!!! LOL

Chaisson… Love your thought reframing and grateful attitude :)

ClearPath64… Yes, d-e-e-p breaths are a must with these teens! I’ve taken many today! I hope you had a wonderful day with your company!

GhostFace… I’m so sorry you will be surrounded by alcohol temptation today! I hope you are doing okay!

CaseyW… That stinks that you have to work! I hope it was a good day and that you were able to celebrate after!

dafunbra… I’m so sorry you are struggling emotionally. I feel your pain. ((( hugs )))

joy57… I struggle with finding good childhood memories too. ((( hugs )))

UhOh… Welcome! I’m so glad you’re here :)

orderfororder… Great advice! How are you doing?

ReadyAtLast… Thank you! Happy 25 days to you!

sweetichick… Good to see you! Awesome job racking up those days :)

obosob… I’m so glad you are having such positive feelings! Happy “Lucky 13”! :)

Rd2quit… Glad to see you! How are you doing?
Old 11-22-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

My day has come to an end. I tried so hard to make it special, but it didn't work out very well. Instead of drinking alcohol to escape from my feelings and my family's behavior, I cried hard. I'm done punishing myself for things I cannot control.

I know that I am changing because we were supposed to get together with that couple we're going on vacation with tonight and I cancelled. I honestly just didn't have any desire. RAL, sadly, I think you are right. These are drinking buddies, not real friends :(

I have a new upcoming event that I am concerned about. It involves a friend that has just gone through a breakup. She wants to get together and I know she needs support and will want to have drinks together. This is someone who I got together with in the past while trying to go alcohol-free and she gave me A LOT of $hit. It's for this reason, that I am dreading getting together. It's not because I want an excuse to drink, it's because I don't want HER to act different and she does. She wasn't as relaxed and open with me that time we got together and I didn't drink. I don't expect her to be any different this time. Another questionable friendship :( Sigh...

I have a better understanding of why this upcoming vacation and certain situations are harder for me to remain alcohol-free through. It's not because I want or need an excuse to drink. If want to drink, I am going to drink. It's because I don't want these people to act different towards me and because they have in the past, it sways me. I am not one of those people who need to have alcohol in order to open up, relax (in general - when I'm distressed over something really important that's different) or be social. As I get older, I am realizing that A LOT of people - many of them "normal drinkers"- DO need to drink alcohol in order to be open, relaxed and social. For this reason, because *I* want so desperately to connect with others (I spend a lot of time isolated), it's hard for me to remain alcohol-free when I know I am not being supported. I hope that makes sense. I'm not saying it's right or that it's a valid reason to consume alcohol, but it helps me to put it into perspective. Sadly, there is no good solution. I can't change other people and I can't stay isolated. I need to find connection that supports my alcohol-free lifestyle. In an alcohol saturated culture, that is not easy to do! Ugh...

Thank you for listening to me ramble. I am so incredibly grateful for all of you!
Old 11-22-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Thank you, BreakFree. Today has been rough for me emotionally, but I went to a meeting and spoke at some some length with my sponsor and I got through the day with nothing to be ashamed of or owe amends for. Very thankful for that. Turkey day dinner even turned out to not be nearly as bad as I was afraid it would be. I've been reading on SR and posting all day. This place really helps me.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post
My day has come to an end. I tried so hard to make it special, but it didn't work out very well. Instead of drinking alcohol to escape from my feelings and my family's behavior, I cried hard. I'm done punishing myself for things I cannot control.

I know that I am changing because we were supposed to get together with that couple we're going on vacation with tonight and I cancelled. I honestly just didn't have any desire. RAL, sadly, I think you are right. These are drinking buddies, not real friends

I have a new upcoming event that I am concerned about. It involves a friend that has just gone through a breakup. She wants to get together and I know she needs support and will want to have drinks together. This is someone who I got together with in the past while trying to go alcohol-free and she gave me A LOT of $hit. It's for this reason, that I am dreading getting together. It's not because I want an excuse to drink, it's because I don't want HER to act different and she does. She wasn't as relaxed and open with me that time we got together and I didn't drink. I don't expect her to be any different this time. Another questionable friendship Sigh...

I have a better understanding of why this upcoming vacation and certain situations are harder for me to remain alcohol-free through. It's not because I want or need an excuse to drink. If want to drink, I am going to drink. It's because I don't want these people to act different towards me and because they have in the past, it sways me. I am not one of those people who need to have alcohol in order to open up, relax (in general - when I'm distressed over something really important that's different) or be social. As I get older, I am realizing that A LOT of people - many of them "normal drinkers"- DO need to drink alcohol in order to be open, relaxed and social. For this reason, because *I* want so desperately to connect with others (I spend a lot of time isolated), it's hard for me to remain alcohol-free when I know I am not being supported. I hope that makes sense. I'm not saying it's right or that it's a valid reason to consume alcohol, but it helps me to put it into perspective. Sadly, there is no good solution. I can't change other people and I can't stay isolated. I need to find connection that supports my alcohol-free lifestyle. In an alcohol saturated culture, that is not easy to do! Ugh...

Thank you for listening to me ramble. I am so incredibly grateful for all of you!
Have you thought about going on meetup dot com and searching for groups in your area? I don't know what your interests are but stuff like walking groups, craft groups, etc could be fun and a good way to make new connections. I was looking on there the other day at walking groups and unfortunately the most do-able one for me meets at a time when I'm at work. Other groups I'd be interested in joining were a little too far away for me. Maybe you'd have more options.

I sat down earlier today and wrote out a step-by-step summary of what my drinking cycle looks like from the initial crave, to the giving in, feeling relief, doing embarrassing things, passing out, horrific next-day anxiety, etc. basically, so I can refer to it each time I try to trick myself into thinking "this time will be different, you're not going to get THAT drunk." Because lately it's always the same, and clearly I know quite well what the result is going to be. I might share it on here for added accountability.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I get older, I am realizing that A LOT of people - many of them "normal drinkers"- DO need to drink alcohol in order to be open, relaxed and social. For this reason, because *I* want so desperately to connect with others (I spend a lot of time isolated), it's hard for me to remain alcohol-free when I know I am not being supported. I hope that makes sense.
It makes sense from a certain perspective

I tried myself into knots trying to be someone everyone liked and wanted to have around, and who was the life of the party.

Now I'm sober and I know the real me, I can see I'm actually quite shy withdrawn and not all that polished at social interaction.

It's quite amazing to me tho - rather than being more lonely and insular - I'm not lonely - at all - and I have a better social life now than I ever had as a drinker.

You don't need to drink to fit in. It's amazing how far being interested in what someone else is talking about will get you

The roots of my loneliness were internal - not external - I could be lonely in a crowd,

Getting sober and dealing with the roots of that loneliness made me a happier more positive person to be around, for all my shyness.

And your friend - she doesn't need you to drink with her, she might WANT that but I think what she really needs is a sympathetic ear.

If drinking is more important to her than that then you have no obligation to fulfill BF.

Your Av has got up a good head of steam BF but it's still just blowing smoke.

We;re not like normal folks who can take or leave a glass. Fair or not that avenue is closed to us if we want to escape the past.

You can have a rich fulfilling life and you don;t have to drink to do it.

I really hope you can find it in yourself to believe and accept that without having to go back and test something I think you already know.

D
Old 11-22-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
TJ — oh, I hate it when people say stuff like that to justify their drinking. Probably because that’s the kind of stuff I used to say, and now I see it for what it is. I’m looking forward to hearing how today goes for you.
Ha... yeah! I started talking to my brother-in-law about it and it was like "Yes, I heard you're trying to quit drinking, that's good..." then quickly changes the subject.

I don't know if my family is not taking me seriously, don't think I have a problem, or what.

In general, today was so-o-o frustrating!! My oldest is in AZ, the twins escaped downstairs and drew the whole time, and my wife was working with my cousin on a jigsaw puzzle.

I am sitting with my father, aunt, and siblings and I literally can't get a word in edgewise because my sister-in-law dominates the conversation and spins everything back to herself and her family. This has been a long standing issue with her... sometimes it is not so bad but today is as bad as ever. (Maybe I am blowing it out of proportion... who knows.) It literally gets to a point where I don't want to say ANYTHING because I will get interrupted and she would do her usual steering back to herself.

I kept getting conversation rage in my head.... "YES, I KNOW YOUR MOTHER MAKES GREAT PIE!! I GET IT!!!"

I got up and put on my jacket and my wife said "Are you getting something?" I said "yes" (thinking she would think that I was going to a liquor store) and just grabbed a Diet Mt Dew out of the trunk of my car and came back in the house. Psych!!!
Old 11-22-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Today was hard but I made it. We ate early then went for a walk. The weather was nice. I’m in Texas, and I’m not used to all the cold weather we’ve been getting.

Brrakfree — I feel like we’re on the same wavelength about so many things. Keep staying strong.

Dee — thanks for sharing those links; very good stuff.

Everyone — I’m so tired; sorry for not replying to more people. I’ve been running a low fever since our evening walk. Going to get some sleep now.

Xoxo
Old 11-22-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Red face Fresh out of Gosnold at Cataumet

My insurance gave me the axe last minute on day 25 of a 28 program on Thanksgiving! I chose to stay till 7pm to have Thanksgiving with the community. It was very special. I don’t drive and am having a tough time finding a ride to a meeting tomorrow. This is probably my 20th time through some type of program but many include spin drys. I hired a recovery coach this time. It costs $1500 a month but I won’t need money if I am dead. Asking for prayers that this is my time to work a program of recovery and stay sober one day at a time
Old 11-22-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Welcome Joilee. Glad to have you here. You can do this, and one day at a time is the right mindset. Stay close.

The end of a long day. We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner, and I'm exhausted after cleaning the kitchen. Ready to head to bed and, hopefully, get a restful night's sleep.

Forgot to mention how thankful I am for our moderator, Dee. Nothing short of miraculous in how he can monitor so many threads and offer such spot on advice, time after time. You are an amazing person, and we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude. This place wouldn't be the same (not even close) without you. I thank you Dee.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hi all. I've been reading through the posts here. Such great information and reading T-giving day experiences and what an awesome job everyone did in meeting the challenges has been inspiring. Thanks to all for sharing.

This is the end of day 2 for me. I finally started feeling a little better in late afternoon today. No cravings but some emotional events. Did an on line AA meeting this evening.

Thank you all for your greetings and concern. I hope to post in more detail once I'm fully back and some of this brain fog has lifted.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:06 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Hi Bonnie. I'm a dog lover. I've got 2 labs. They are my babies
Old 11-22-2018, 09:21 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Day 22 is in the books. My friend text me tonight and told me she is proud of me for doing what I am doing and that she is watching. Made my whole freaking day. I'm not doing this for her but my hope has been and continues to be that I can be in full, healthy recovery and be the kind of person she wants in her life as her partner. Thank you all for the tremendous support here. I wouldn't be where I am without it. Today you all really helped me get through a tough day.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:18 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Morning all. Wow, so many good posts on here. I have soaked up so much

Start of Day 7 for me.....feeling grateful and somewhat nervous as I know that feeling of “I am in control” has a habit of popping it’s head up around now. I am going to stay close to you guys and share if I get the thought as I want this sober life.

I am going to check in again a bit later as there are a few I would like to personally reply to. Impending school run coming up and we are all still in our Pj’s 😱

Hugs and thanks all round
Old 11-22-2018, 11:19 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Morning all, I was so pleased to login this morning and read about how my US friends got through Thanksgiving without alcohol, despite all the difficulties of the day. I'm super proud of you all - well done You are going to feel great in the morning.

Dafunbra - that's great news. Encouragement is such a boost isn't it.

TJ-ime with my own family it's not that they weren't taking me seriously it's just that they didn't really understand. Despite all the times I'd been really drunk and said and done dreadful things they still don't get it. They think it's possible to just cut back/drink less/stop after a couple etc etc etc. They don't understand it's not like that for people like us. Now, I don't bother explaining or waste my energy on trying to get others to understand. I understand and that's all that matters. I just keep on doing what I'm doing and in time show others that I don't drink.

Labgirl - hope your day 2 gets better. Stick with us

Clearpath - glad you got through the day and I hope you get a great sleep. I second what you said about Dee. He is fantastic.Thanks Dee

bonnie - well done on getting through the day. I hope you get a decent sleep and the fever passes.

Welcome to the group Joilee

Breakfree - many congrats on getting through the day which sounded super stressful. You can do it - you are doing it. It's uncomfortable and brings out loads of emotional turmoil but you will get through and it does get easier and less painful. I had a dream the other night about an ex from nearly 20 years ago. It felt so raw and was on my mind yesterday, much to my annoyance. But it's eased now. I know it's not the same as stuff going on in life right now but we do get through. Regarding your friend, you don't have to drink with her. What she wants and what she expects are not your concern. You can be there for her without drinking. If she doesn't really want you to listen and just drink then maybe she can go out with someone else. Will you tell her before you meet up? Making sober connections is a good plan. I know how hard it is as I'm such a recluse tbh. Have you tried yoga class? I love it, it's relaxing and full of sober people. But clashes with my work hours now I hope you got some sleep last night and have a more peaceful day today.

MEchanic - how are you doing?

Amanda - hope you have a good day. Congrats on 1 week! Are you in the UK too?

KAily = how are things going? PLease don't stay away

So Friday comes around again. Day off for me even though I've only done 2 days these week due to holidays. I have a list of things to do - chop wood, read, laundry, clean bathrooms, mop floors, dust, wrap presents, more reading. Should keep me busy. Browsing the Black Friday bargains and got £80 off Junior Ral's Christmas present so delighted with that.

I will not drink today or this weekend. I am going to re=read The Naked Mind.
have a great day/evening all.
RAL.x
Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
Have you thought about going on meetup dot com and searching for groups in your area? I don't know what your interests are but stuff like walking groups, craft groups, etc could be fun and a good way to make new connections. I was looking on there the other day at walking groups and unfortunately the most do-able one for me meets at a time when I'm at work. Other groups I'd be interested in joining were a little too far away for me. Maybe you'd have more options.

I sat down earlier today and wrote out a step-by-step summary of what my drinking cycle looks like from the initial crave, to the giving in, feeling relief, doing embarrassing things, passing out, horrific next-day anxiety, etc. basically, so I can refer to it each time I try to trick myself into thinking "this time will be different, you're not going to get THAT drunk." Because lately it's always the same, and clearly I know quite well what the result is going to be. I might share it on here for added accountability.
great post Linners, thank you I have such similar thoughts. Even if I drink sensibly for 1 night it isn't long before I'm back to 1-2 bottles a night Posting on here is such a great help .I can talk myself into drinking quite easily but coming on here I get talked out of it.

Hope you have a good day.