Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-23-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

HA! So true! I had twins and in many ways they were easier to raise because they had the built in playmate.

Also, I do talk about my daughters on this forum fairly often... but it is not intended to be boastful but rather an expression of gratitude to support my recovery.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Morning everyone. Glad everyone made it through Thanksgiving Day. Nothing exciting to report except I made it to day 4. The physical cravings are easing up now. Managed 5 hours sleep again. There are so many of you that I getting mixed up. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Great to see you back and many congratulations on Day 4. Physically the worst is hopefully over. please post on SR if you get cravigns or want to go to the shop. We're here for you
Old 11-23-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
HA! So true! I had twins and in many ways they were easier to raise because they had the built in playmate.

Also, I do talk about my daughters on this forum fairly often... but it is not intended to be boastful but rather an expression of gratitude to support my recovery.
oh gosh I'm always talking about Junior RAL on here. Hope I don't bore or annoy anyone or anyone thinks I'm boastful I have a very insular life with mr RAL and Jr RAL. I don't reallt do much else
Old 11-23-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your support Bonnie and RAL. I will definitely post if I get the urge to drink.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

TJ and RAL — no, you guys are NOT boastful. When we post here, we talk about what’s going on in our lives — the things that cause us stress, the things that bring us joy, the things we’re grateful for, all that stuff. It would be difficult for us parents to not talk about our kids, because they are such a big part of our lives.

No, when I think about bragging parents, I think of this acquaintance of mine who constantly uses the word “extraordinary” to describe her kids. As in, “my son is an extraordinary swimmer.” “My daughter is extraordinarily gifted, and even the advanced classes don’t challenge her enough.” Or the friend of mine who likes to interrupt everyone to tell us about all the college acceptance letters her daughter has received, and all the scholarship offers.

And its cool to do a bit of bragging; we all have things we’re proud of. Honestly, I like to hear about how other people and their families are doing. If your kid gets into Harvard and you don’t do a little bragging, that would be weird.

It only becomes insufferable when people aggressively dominate every conversation and take an obvious disinterest in anything other people have to say, and if one should dare attempt to contribute to the conversation, they will eagerly turn it into a oneupmanship battle. It’s boring and inconsiderate. My old neighborhood was full of parents like this, and they all secretly hated each other.

But no, I don’t think anyone here needs to be self-conscious about their sharing about their kids, whether it’s good or bad. We’re here to sort out stuff going on in our lives and get better, and our kids are a huge part of this. ❤️❤️❤️
Old 11-23-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

2 weeks......YES!!!!!!!!

Appreciate all the support in this thread.....

It's been absolutely mentally exhausting. But each morning a little more of the sober me gains some strength.

I've already lost a little weight, sleeping better and feeling lighter on my feet.

It's just poison for me the drink, always has been!

Happy sober weekend to all....

Old 11-23-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Thank you Bonnie, that is such a beautiful post
Old 11-23-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Administrator

BF if it's about connection maybe you can start to think of healthy ways to get out of the house?

part time job? volunteering? or if you want to skew it towards fun - hobbies, interests, a mothers group or book club where you can come in as a non drinker and stay that way...?

Right now it seems like your addict self has you looking at this loss of connection, this emptiness, this feeling of 'there should be more' and is proposing alcohol is, if not the answer, a necessary tool.

I just don't think that's true - in fact I know it's not.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-23-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-23-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone on milestones - good to see you crack the two weeks Obo
Old 11-23-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Administrator

about support - I didn't receive a heap of support from my family - I think they'd heard the I've quit stuff so many times before it just washed over them.

They also thought my problem was 'not knowing when I'd had enough' so they'd offer me 'just one drink - go on'

Then when they saw it might stick I got some jibing - outwardly good natured but with an edge to it - people seem to instinctively feel you're holding a mirror up to them when you quit and you're accusing them of being an alcoholic too or somehow wanting to take the 'fun' out of drinking for them....

and some refused to believe i was alcoholic - I was 'overreacting'

Happily I got all the support and understanding I needed right here at SR.

My family may not still understand my choice, but they respect it now.
I'm so much better in every way they really can't do anything else

D
Old 11-23-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

Old 11-23-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Evening, all. Day 3 is done. I'm home, hanging with my husband, having fresh cut and cooked venison for dinner.

Long day at work, Black Friday in retail is interesting.....not too bad at our store. We were not a typical target on Black Friday, but we were busy enough.

Didn't sleep well last night - not sure if it was the full moon, day 2 of sobriety or my 18 year old daughter going Black Friday shopping, leaving at 9:30pm and getting home at 2:30am, she was with a friend and her family and staying over at their house. But I think my mind was on her travels. And the full moon. And day 2 of sobriety waiting for blood test results from the Dr.

So my test results showed two measurements that are off, so I need to pull my plan together and get a long string of sober days under my belt. We'll test again in about 4 weeks and at regular intervals after that.

Have a great night all! I love reading your posts!

-Otter
Old 11-23-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Morning everyone. Glad everyone made it through Thanksgiving Day. Nothing exciting to report except I made it to day 4. The physical cravings are easing up now. Managed 5 hours sleep again. There are so many of you that I getting mixed up. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Congrats sweetichick. Great to see you. Don't worry about not keeping up with everyone. This is a very active thread. Much going on, but we're really making positive progress. Glad you're here.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

AV just smacked me up side the head. Took my son up to get him some food and, driving home, caught a glimpse of one of the liquor/grocery stores that were on my rotation. I haven't eaten yet this evening, and the rest of the night, after he goes back to his Mom's, is wide open. The thought of a six-pack quickly popped into my head. No, no, no. He just left, and SR was my first stop. Second stop is the kitchen, and a plate of nachos. Then some TV. I've got this.

Hope everyone is having a good evening. Otter, thanks for checking in. I'm glad that your Black Friday wasn't horrible. I've heard some horror stories.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

So apparently, it is possible to go bowling without drinking beer. In fact, it’s quite enjoyable. Alas, my sobriety did nothing to enhance my sad performance. (Let’s just say my score was no where close to triple digits.) My 17-year-old son took no mercy, and now I owe him a pizza.

Oh well.

Hey Otter! You can definitely get that string of sober days for your next blood test. That’s good motivation. Also, I’m glad your Black Friday wasn’t a horror show.

Clearpath — you did an excellent job kicking that AV to the curb. I get those thoughts a lot of the time because literally everything used to be an occasion to drink. Anyway, you rock!

We’re heading out to eat now, I hope everyone is having a great evening or whatever time of the day it is for you. 💚
Old 11-23-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Day 5 sober. I am in the Class of Nov 2018 now.

Glad I am nearly one week sober. I feel so good. But that makes me conclude it is time to get a bottle of wine. I guess that is what we all grapple with - the notion that there is a future that includes rational drinking. Although there never has been any such thing for me. Not even close. I feel so calm and clear and sober life is so beautiful and simple. Why do I want to mess that up?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Administrator

addictions not rational, broncosys - but we can respond rationally

Its a crazy idea - if you're like me you have many years of crazy destructive drinking....

I'm sorry -but there's no amount of time that resets us...if we go back to drinking we''ll soon be as bad as we ever were, if not worse.

Don;t confuse abstinence for control.

D
Old 11-23-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
It only becomes insufferable when people aggressively dominate every conversation and take an obvious disinterest in anything other people have to say, and if one should dare attempt to contribute to the conversation, they will eagerly turn it into a oneupmanship battle. It’s boring and inconsiderate. My old neighborhood was full of parents like this, and they all secretly hated each other.

But no, I don’t think anyone here needs to be self-conscious about their sharing about their kids, whether it’s good or bad. We’re here to sort out stuff going on in our lives and get better, and our kids are a huge part of this. ❤️❤️❤️
Thank you! ... and, yes, you have described my sister-in-law perfectly.

They usually host Easter for our extended family. Last Easter, one of her children's report cards was sitting on the coffee table. Yes, she is that self absorbed.

The report card was a mix of As and Bs with MAP scores of 92/76 for math and science. Both of my twin daughters are straight A students who typically score 99/99 on their MAP scores, but my wife and I still take the high road.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
Congrats sweetichick. Great to see you. Don't worry about not keeping up with everyone. This is a very active thread. Much going on, but we're really making positive progress. Glad you're here.
Yes. This month's forum has been special for me. The others I have joined have been great at well, but this one has really resonated with me.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
So apparently, it is possible to go bowling without drinking beer. In fact, it’s quite enjoyable. Alas, my sobriety did nothing to enhance my sad performance. (Let’s just say my score was no where close to triple digits.) My 17-year-old son took no mercy, and now I owe him a pizza.

Oh well.
HA! I loved bowling as a child and I would always ask about how my father did in his bowling league. For whatever reason, he always seemed to have the lowest score in the third game!!