Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-24-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
TJ — lol at the report card on the table. This reminds me of the acquaintance of mine who describes her daughter as “extraordinarily gifted.” The kid makes A’s, B’s, and C’s. Her mediocre performance is due to “boredom” with an unchallenging curriculum. 🙄Whatever, lady. 😏
I literally laughed out loud!! This is one reason why my wife got out of teaching. My sister-in-law has actually made similar excuses when one of her children was struggling at math... can't stay focused, teacher doesn't engage him enough, etc.

On a less lighter note... we are supposed to get 7-10 inches of snow tomorrow in the Chicago area. ARGH!!!!!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post
[B]TeeJayVerm… My dad bowled too! I never asked him his score, but now I’m going to for the hell of it! LOL What is your cat’s name? I LOVE tiger cats. I had one I named “Chachi” and he was so awesome. Ironically I was NOT a Scott Baio (sp?) fan!
My cat's name is "Riley"... I am actually fostering him for a married couple who live nearby and that is the name he had before. They adopted him a few years prior to that and, unfortunately, their other long time cat never accepted him.

I think I am going to change his name to "Oliver Twist" because he always begs for more soft food after I have already fed him.

Scott Baio? Ha!! A blast from the past!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Good evening all. Day 24 is in the books and I'm headed off to bed. Spent a thoroughly enjoyable day and evening with a friend and her kids and got to go to a birthday AA meeting today, which I always enjoy. Sobriety is growing on me. Hope everyone else had a decent day. I will post more later tomorrow, I need sone sleep. G'night all and thank you for the support and help that is so prevalent here!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone. Today is day 5. Yesterday I felt terrible due to hardly any sleep. The cravings were pretty bad but I just kept playing the tape through. I can't afford to let my health get any worse. Today is a lot better even managed a walk. The bottle shop shuts in 7 hours so it will be another day down. This class is great It helps knowing others are going through the same thing.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:19 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
This sounds like a lovely day! Did you like it, will you be going again? A lot of my drinking has to do with loneliness and isolation, so I'm going to keep looking for some sort of walking group in my area that I can join. Something will pop up eventually. I also keep telling myself I should try out a yoga class.
Yes it made a very nice change. I will go again when there is another walk near enough to where I live.
I have two dogs, one of which I came with me. The other one is nearly 18 so wouldn't of been able to do a very long walk. I don't like leaving her on her own at home for too long so I am a bit restricted in what I can do.

I have am having really bad cravings again. As I stood in line in the shop yesterday I could almost taste the alcohol that surrounded me and so desperately wanted the feeling of euphoria and relaxation the first few mouthfuls bring.
I have been awake since 3 am and my mind is still full of drinking thoughts. Just to blot out the long long day looming ahead of me with no one to talk to.
I feel like all my defences are down.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

There';s always some one here to talk to kaily - if not in this thread, certainly around the other forums.

There's an arcade here too if you into that
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/arcade.html

or chat.

I was feeling kind crappy today physically so I made myself sweep my porch and my neighbours seeing as he's in a wheelchair - it's a small job for most but a long job for me and I have to do part of it sitting down but it made me feel better.

I hope you'll feel better tomorrow too - the new road is the one to follow - it can take you to where you've never been before

D
Old 11-24-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw this show yesterday on TV. It;s about women drinkers but I think anyone can get something from it.

I must warn there's a fair amount of AV in some of the participants testimonies...

but I think there's an overall message that gets through:
Alcoholism sucks.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-o-clock.html (Wine O CLock)

goes for an hour but well worth it.

D
Old 11-25-2018, 12:28 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Summer19 View Post
Hello. I’m so happy to be joining this group. Tonight is very hard. The cravings are tough and I feel physically awful. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the group summer19!

There are some great tips for dealing with cravings here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 11-25-2018, 01:44 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Seems like a few of us have had a bad couple of days. It had been a full moon which may sound silly but it has been shown to cause depression anger etc.

Kaily great you posted. Can you maybe get out for a short walk on your own anyway? Take your mind out of itself. Or a coffee shop with a book. Even interacting with the staff makes me feel less alone at times.

robbie interesting analogy for cravings with hunger. But I wouldn't give the av so much power. With hunger the only satisfaction is to eat. It's a primal need for survival. With cravings I know it feels like the only answer is to drink but it's not. They do pass. They are thoughts and we don't have to act on them. Dees link to urge surfing is great. It takes Orsett time but works. Great to see you back.

not sure what to do today. Told Jr ral to a Christmas movie ladt night . It was brilliant 😀 I would never have gone to the movies on a sat night when drinking.

have a great day x
Old 11-25-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Day 28 today. Or 4 weeks. Think I prefer 4 weeks it sounds longer 😁 I really can't quite believe it. So many failed attempts this year but it feels different this time. I feel so much better mentally and physically and don't want to drink. I dont feel like I'm missing something or being deprived.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

3:00am Central time in Midwestern USA and here I sit, licking my wounds. I thought about disappearing, or acting like this didn't happen, but that would be the cowardly way out, and I owe it to this group to be forthright about my mistakes. I also thought that admitting my failure might give someone else an excuse to throw in the towel and succumb to their AV, but I know that's just BS, and we each are responsible for ourselves. So here I sit, with a mild hangover, typing out how I ended up here. Nothing dramatic here. Just life.

When I left you yesterday morning, I had to rush out the door to meet up with my daughter, who was moving to her new apartment. Got up late, due to staying up too late the night before. Didn't have time for a shower, or a decent breakfast, so started the day out not feeling all that great. Arrived at her old apartment and realized that I forgot my toolbox. Ex-wife's boyfriend saved the day, as he had enough tools to get us by. Daughter supplied food, which was nice, but it was the really unhealthy variety, which just added to my "blah" feelings. Through the course of the day, I managed to display my ineptitude at taking things apart and putting them back together, and was very aware of ex's boyfriend's aptitude at such things. Fueling my feelings of inadequacy were his interactions with my 16 year old son, as they seem to be good buddies, and I can barely get two sentences out of the kid. Anyway, the move went fine, and I had decided to hang out with my daughter, after everyone else left, and go shopping to get a few things for her new place. Realized that I needed to get back home to take care of her dogs, who I was watching over the weekend so she could manage the move, so those plans fell through. Driving back home in the afternoon, it hit me, and I didn't put up a fight. All of the triggers were there. Overall frustration with the day. Tired. Nothing waiting for me at home. 20 minute drive home and no lifeline. I probably wouldn't have taken it if it was available. I was feeling sorry for myself, and just retreated into my old ways. Six-pack. Drank five and part of the sixth before passing out on the couch.

I failed, my friends, and the counter starts over today. I'm not going to let one day defeat me. Getting this off my chest helps. There are things that I need to do better in my self-care. I could have taken inventory of myself yesterday afternoon and known that I was getting in the danger zone. I got complacent. The guy that was warning everyone about being complacent after the holiday, didn't heed his own advice. I really shouldn't be giving any advice.

Anyway, what's done is done. Thanks for your support. And I'm not going anywhere.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi ClearPath I can feel the pain in your post. Welcome back. So glad you've come back straight away dust yourself down and back to day 1. Don't waste energy beating yourself up over what happened. Maybe have a plan to deal with bad days and cravings next time they occur. It's a learning g experience but you don't need to go through this again. We are here for you my friend
Old 11-25-2018, 03:12 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back ClearPath

I think you're worth fighting for, CP, and I hope you'll do just that from here on in

D
Old 11-25-2018, 03:12 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good morning. I hope everyone had a good night. I made it through last night, no drinking. I woke up in the middle of the night with the horrible feeling I had drank and was hung over. It put me into panic and immediate shame. After several seconds I finally realized I was imaging it and had NOT drank and was NOT hung over. Thank God! I fell back to sleep and slept fairly well.

Got up this morning to see hubby off to work. Took my dogs out for their early morning potty break. While I was outside with them it dawned on me how beautifully peaceful it was at that time. It is very foggy here right now, but it seemed like the world was so still and quiet. I just stood there and prayed a pray of gratitude for my wonderful family, friends, SR and for being sober. I'm planning to go to church with my dad and mom this morning. I'll come home and plan to do a little Christmas decorating around the house. I'll likely help my mom with some decorating later.

Anyway, this is a long post, but I so appreciate being made to feel that this is alright. This is a safe place.

Many thanks. Prayers to all for a sober Sunday and for cravings to be crushed.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Day 13.

Todays plan — I have that tennis lesson with my son, then I’ll be pretty focused on prepping for the week ahead. Then eating out with the spouse later.

I am so glad the holiday week is over and normal life can resume starting tomorrow. My husband won’t be in my face drinking his wine, Miss Dark Cloud will be back at college, and I’ll finally get some peace. It’s been a nice week, but challenging to my sobriety. It might seem selfish, but I really need some “me time”!

I cant get too comfortable though; the whole Christmas break looms ahead, but I’ll aimlessly ramble about that another day.

Anyway, I’m not drinking today. I’m really determined to make it to two weeks.
———————————————————
RAL — damn, girl! Four weeks?! You’re killing it! 😎

Labgirl — congrats on day 4! My husband drinks too. It’s not helpful, having wine right in front of me at dinner (and throughout the rest of the evening), but oh well. It used to really bother me during my previous attempts to cut back or quit, but this time I’ve decided that I’m just going to deal with it. It just really isn’t ideal.

otter — happy day 4! I had to google to find out what a Bruin is. I’m not a sports fan, and hockey never really took off in Houston anyway. (We used to have a team, can’t remember what they were called.) Anyway, sounds like fun.

Linners — yoga is amazing. I always feel so good after a class. I haven’t been lately because I have a pulled muscle or something, but I can’t wait to get back. And it’s so good for getting your head in the right place for sobriety.

Welcome, summer! I’m glad you’re with us. The cravings are very tough. Reading Annie Grace’s “This Naked Mind” really helped me get a better understanding of what alcohol does to people and what I’m going through as I adjust to being sober. The cravings are there, but I’m getting better at keeping it in perspective.

TJ —. Or sometimes their behavior problems are actually a result of their “giftedness,” right? 😄 I used to be a teacher too. I taught middle school, and there was this one kid who would get up and start walking around, deliberately knocking stuff off other kids’ desks. He also enjoyed starting fights at lunch, which was lovely because he was so much bigger than everyone else. Apparently, according to his mom, he is actually a gifted, gentle soul who suffers from being misunderstood. 🙄 I quit at the end of the last school year due to the crappy environment. I can deal with bratty kids, but many of the parents sucked, and worse, administrators blamed teachers for every little thing. I used to stop at the liquor store and drink in my car on the way home. Finally, I quit because I couldn’t keep doing it.

Dafunbra — you’re doing so well. I hope sobriety grows on all of us. 🙂

Sweetichick — good job on making it to day 5!

Kaily — I hope the cravings pass quickly. Just reach out and post if things are getting difficult. I like RAL’s advice about getting out for a little while.

Clearpath — sorry you’re back to day one. You can do this though; just jump back in. About your 16-year-old son — I think a lot of boys at that age don’t talk much to their dads. Your ex’s boyfriend is just a guy to him, so their interactions appear easier. My 17-year-old is the same. He’s trying to be his own man, and for many kids at the age, it involves pushing away from one or both parents. It’ll pass. But overall, I can understand how this was a triggering, frustrating day. Be good to yourself.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Not selfish at all Bonnie. You've earned your "me time". Thanks for your input regarding my son.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Beautiful post labgirl. Thanks for sharing your morning with us.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Welcome back, ClearPath. Glad you were able to come back. I don't know if I could have. Mistakes happen. Learn from it, and be proud that you did come back. Good morning!
Old 11-25-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone!

CaseyW… Glad you checked in and hope you had a GREAT Saturday!

Rd2quit… All good stuff!

Robbie64… I’m so sorry you get such terrible urges and cravings :(

Bonniefloyd… I can’t believe how many people had Christmas lights up before Thanksgiving. To each his own, but it drives me crazy! One holiday at a time, please! LOL

ReadyAtLast… Happy 4 week milestone!

labgirl… I can totally relate to getting things done! I love how much more productive I am when I am alcohol-free. I find so much peace and clarity from being outdoors. I felt like I was standing right next to you while I was reading.

OttersIsland… Hello fellow New Englander! I’m in NH :)

Linners820… I hope you find an awesome group!

TeeJayVerm… I like the name “Riley”, but “Oliver” is awesome! LOL His little face always makes me smile :)

dafunbra… What a great post! You sound great :)

sweetichick… I’m so sorry you are struggling so much. Gosh, it can suck! I don’t know why sometimes it’s easier and then sometimes it’s nearly impossible. It makes no sense, but that is definitely what I have found for myself! I wish I could put a finger on it so I could help! If I had to guess, I have just reached a point where the effects of alcohol have been SOOO undesirable, the scales are tipping. Now I’m scared that if I do allow alcohol back in, it will take forever to tip the scales again.

Kaily… Have you ever tried running?

((( ClearPath64 ))) What an emotionally difficult and disappointing day :( I really, really feel for you. You did NOT fail. You made a choice you regret and that is that. I get the whole counting thing, but sometimes I think it can be counterproductive too. Honestly, one day I’d like to forget what day I’m on, when I quit, etc. I just want to be FREE. No labels, no numbers, no clubs or stereotypes regarding alcohol. Even though many of us don’t have a lot of “practical” experience with living alcohol-free as adults, we could probably all hold degrees on the subject! I’m glad you aren’t going anywhere. Nothing but love and support for you, friend!
Old 11-25-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I relapsed last weekend after a few weeks of sobriety. Anyway, I decided to quit in April 2018 and managed 4 and a half months, a month, 40 days, a few weeks etc, but haven't made it stick yet.

I will do this though. Just taking a bit of practice. On day 6, just been to the gym, feeling good.