Notices

Class of May 2018 Part 2

Old 05-28-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hi There,

Looking for support. I'm 4 days sober and working on my 5th. I hope everyone here is doing well. I'm also not sure how posting on this thread works so I will find out after I post this.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SEECLEAR View Post
Hi There,

Looking for support. I'm 4 days sober and working on my 5th. I hope everyone here is doing well. I'm also not sure how posting on this thread works so I will find out after I post this.

Easiest and most understanding group I have ever encountered. You posted, your in

Post whenever, as much as you want,
Old 05-28-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome to the family SEECLEAR! Like Bumblebee says, wonderful group of souls here Post when your having a good time, a bad time, whatever, and post what you want and need to. We all celebrate the wins and support each other through the tough moments. Couldn't have done this without my classmates xx
Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Welcome SEECLEAR! Congratulations on your almost 5 days sober! I'm on my day 11 myself. It's great to be among other newbies to sobriety here in this thread. You came to a great place for support from some great people. I check in daily at least to keep myself on track. Feel free to post as often as you need to whenever you want to vent, express, or get help.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Hi all. I’m going to make a point to emmerse myself into your forum to help me not drink. I’m a once every few weeks or so binge drinker. And I’m so ready to be rid of alcohol from my life.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Good morning, folks! Start of day 10 for me. Yesterday's party was cool with NA beer and soda for me. Even the others had just a glass of wine, the focus was more on the sequence game. I saw them having wine and I had ZERO interest for whatsoever reason to sip. Maybe because, I was never a wine drinker. Thanks, Dee for the excellent insights and the video!

Bumblebee, Sorry to read your post. Can you post the reasons why you went overboard? You could have stopped with one or two. Did you try to do root cause analysis?
Old 05-28-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Good morning, folks! Start of day 10 for me. Yesterday's party was cool with NA beer and soda for me. Even the others had just a glass of wine, the focus was more on the sequence game. I saw them having wine and I had ZERO interest for whatsoever reason to sip. Maybe because, I was never a wine drinker. Thanks, Dee for the excellent insights and the video!

Bumblebee, Sorry to read your post. Can you post the reasons why you went overboard? You could have stopped with one or two. Did you try to do root cause analysis?
I haven’t attempted to do any type of analyzing I always just chalk it up to I am an alcoholic.

But if I think about it, I suppose seeing my sister, dad, bro in law and husband enjoying a cold beer in the pool made me really want one. But the truth is I did not even enjoy it poolside.... chugging beer by yourself in the bathroom isn’t much fun, or glamorous.

Furthermore, once I had one- they wasn’t enough. I have never been someone that would enjoy one. I drink to get tipsy, then tipsy isn’t good enough.... so more. I drink to get drunk, still never good enough. I drink to black out.

And the truth is, my alcohol tolerance is so high due to drinking wine- that 4 beers did not even do anything... I wasn’t tipsy or buzzed. It was so stupid.

So I suppose that is my analyses. Thanks for the suggestion Calmself. I knew all of this, but it helps to write it out and process it.

Willow- take care, your in my thoughts and prayers

Enjoying my iced coffee right now
Old 05-28-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Willow, I hope you are ok, my thoughts are with you and sending you love and hugs from across the pond xx
Old 05-28-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Right class, time for me to put day 29 to bed, can't wait to wake up tomorrow and be able to call it day 30. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do this, but I have proved to myself that I am stronger than I gave myself credit for. I don't have any little ones, no partner and haven't had to work in the last month which to be fair is a big part of my success as I have had less stress and responsibility and only had to look after myself, but I am still proud!

Night everyone, be kind to yourselves and be good xx
Old 05-28-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Mantalady - 30 days is huge! So happy for you! and I just love your outstretched arms. A virtual hand up. Nice

Welcome SEECLEAR and slipnslide! Glad to have you on the wagon with us!

calmself- glad things went smoothly last night. Once we can start getting some sober social events under our belts I think it'll strengthen our resolve and put to rest our anxieties pre-party? I guess the seasoned non drinkers will have to confirm that one though lol

Bumblebee- I feel your pain and I'm sorry. I was worried about you with that pool party cause growing up in California I went to a lot of them and every single one was an all out drinking event. I feel like so many people have body issues that being in bathing suits makes everyone want to drink even more than usual. PLEASE DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP. Keep it in perspective. You snuck 4 beers in the bathroom. You didn't burn their house down. I understand the frustration and feeling like you can't trust yourself. I get that....just remember that you're like the rest of us on here....a flawed human being trying to do better. One day and one moment at a time.

Dee- that clip made me laugh out loud for real. So true lol

willow- I'm incredibly sorry to hear about your dad. Hugs and prayers coming your way. I'm thinking about you. Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing through this very stressful time. xoxo
Old 05-28-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Willow, Just read the previous posts. Sending prayers your way. Please stay strong.

Mantalady - Awesome acheivement. What are your next plans? Is this a break or a permanent move?

Bumblebee - good analysis. It has happened to all of us. Better to avoid this useless stuff since it cannot satisfy us anymore. Let us know how we can support you.

rjyerkes - you are awesome! Thanks for your support. I have suddenly lost all interest in alcohol, at least yesterday and today. The thought of cold, strong IPA is not appealing to me at the moment.

Welcome, seeclear!! Let us know what your goals are and how we can support you.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Well calmself, I am definatley not just taking a break from depression, self loathing, hangovers, broken property, cuts and bruises, being argumentative, loss of money, loss of self respect to now go back to it I know I cannot drink again, moderation will never be an option for me so sobriety is just a fact of life for me now, and a pretty darn amazing one at that I have rehab in 2 weeks to go to to do the hard yards on the reasons I was drinking and how to cope with these emotions and understand them better, and more importantly how to make sure I don't relapse or ever let the AV get loud enough again that I listen to it.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone who has welcomed me! My goal is to remain sober one day at a time. I've heard quitting smoking will improve my chances of not relapsing on alcohol. I've set a quit date for smoking tomorrow. I hope everyone is well!
Old 05-28-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Bumblebee- I feel your pain and I'm sorry. I was worried about you with that pool party cause growing up in California I went to a lot of them and every single one was an all out drinking event. I feel like so many people have body issues that being in bathing suits makes everyone want to drink even more than usual. PLEASE DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP. Keep it in perspective. You snuck 4 beers in the bathroom. You didn't burn their house down. I understand the frustration and feeling like you can't trust yourself. I get that....just remember that you're like the rest of us on here....a flawed human being trying to do better. One day and one moment at a time.

Thank you for this. It mean a lot... I really appreciate it.

I’m feeling a little better now, then I was this morning. Just viewing it as a learning process.

It is Memorial Day.. neighbors are all out drinking, kids are playing. There was 6 adults drinking next door and I was offered a drink. Proud to say I declined.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
Hi all. I’m going to make a point to emmerse myself into your forum to help me not drink. I’m a once every few weeks or so binge drinker. And I’m so ready to be rid of alcohol from my life.
Welcome Slipnslide! Just finding this place and posting your goal is a huge step forward. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Good evening fine people! Day 11 for me is drawing to a close here in the Old South. I had a counseling session today and it felt great to share everything I've learned the past two weeks with her. I'll be going just about every week for now which will only be helpful. She told me something interesting - that the physical craving for alcohol is our dopamine centers in our brains 'remembering' that we used to give it a jolt of dopamine with booze. It's learned to expect that and has to return back to normal when we sober up and remove that input. The longer we can go without alcohol, the fewer cravings we'll have as the dopamine centers in the brain re-learn normal functioning. I hope that makes sense. We're not just craving booze because we miss it or because we're weak - there's a physiological process going on that will improve with time. More reason not to relapse if at all possible.

Willow, my thoughts and prayers are with you in this rough time for you. Stay strong and keep checking back here whenever you can. Let this be an anchor for you as you try to deal with everything. We will be here. However down you might get, understand that alcohol will only make things more difficult. You'll be more emotional and depressed. Life is going to smack us in the face sometimes and it's tough, but don't make it worse with booze. Stay strong!!!!

Manta, you've had a much more positive tone in your words recently and that is really great to see. Part of that is definitely your body and brain rewarding you for not drinking by being less prone to depression. I hear myself in some of your older negative toned posts. I get down on myself a lot too and it's just a waste of time and energy. You are a very intelligent, caring person with a lot more going than you think sometimes. Think about what you are doing right now and the monumental decision you have made to straighten your life out and defeat your addiction - and the courage it takes to do that. You are no slouch so hold your head up high and be proud to be exactly who you are.

To all of you great people here, we are all nearly another day sober. Every single successful day forward in recovery is a huge accomplishment. I'm so glad you all are here and have made the same decision for your life that I have. It feels so great, doesn't it? I'm going call it a day soon. With the kids and getting up at 6 a.m. every single day of the year, we don't stay up late like we used to. Good night all.

Sorry for another War-and-Peace posting. I think it has something to do with being bipolar (and moderately hypomanic right now). We seem to write more than most others. We can't help it. We're naturally compulsive.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome slipnslide and calmself

welcome back bumblebee
I tried very hard not to put myself in dangerous situations too soon. I'd always done that before, and always drank.

I stayed away from everywhere I knew alcohol would be served and people would be drinking, probably to excess.

Sure I missed a few parties, but I found a recovery.

D
Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

A quick shout out to Dee74 - our wise veteran of sobriety. I appreciate every piece of advice you have given and want to give in the future. It's also fun reading your posts with an Australian accent in my head.
You are awesome!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Hard to say, harder to admit... day 2.5

Been quite some time but alas here I am. Day 2.5 ... been a foggy mess but beginning to see some improvement. Spent the holiday weekend on dear friends recliner. Hit a meeting this morning, all in all sober although current anxiety level is crazy. Bewitching hours so to speak... reading these posts gives me hope to go forward. Hoping for some solid sleep hours tonight. Thanks for listening!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Day 1

Back again. Nice to read everyone's posts. Went to AA meeting this morning and was the best choice I have made in months.