Notices

Class of May 2018 Part 2

Old 05-20-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you survivor K—-

You are right. The AV is a liar. And I know this....so why, why did I cave in?

Ugh....

Do we all need to lose our drinking friends?

Dee74–thanks for reposting that link—any wisdom about drinking friends?

Maybe stay away from them until stronger resolve?

That was my downfall yesterday and today
Old 05-20-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Free2

Time and again I tried to live my old life and just be sober, Never managed it because my old life was all about not staying sober.

I had to cut most of my drinking friends out of my life because they wanted me to continue drinking. I didn't realise that the glue that held us together was a shared love of drinking.

The friends who stuck by me and my decision to stop drinking I kept but even then I hang too much with those guys for a while.

I know this seems extreme and your AV is probably bouncing up and down saying 'lose my friends and my social life - no way'...but you don't lose real friends and don't lose your social life - you just exchange it for a new one, one that fits the sober you

D
Old 05-20-2018, 08:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Rjyerkes—

Thank you for that bit of wisdom.....
Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

“I know this seems extreme and your AV is probably bouncing up and down saying 'lose my friends and my social life - no way'...but you don't lose real friends and don't lose your social life - you just exchange it for a new one, one that fits the sober you

Thank you, D!!!

The man that I love is a functioning alcoholic. And I have mentioned him in my previous threads and he was so supportive. And in my mind I thought eventually he will want me to drink because he likes to drink with me. And I let the alcohol voice listen to him. And my one glass of wine turned into four, but that was not enough I also found some ice tea and a little tiny airline bottle of booze and mixed them together.

How desperate and I’ll is that?

Just more proof that I am not in control, and I will die if I keep drinking like that.

Here’s to try to go to sleep at 10:49 PM in the Midwest 😊
Old 05-20-2018, 09:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well done on 18 days Freetobeme 👍 and well done on dusting yourself off to try again after a slipup! Last time I made 18 days was over a year ago! Well done. You can do it! And so can we all. I can do it too this time...

Thanks D. This coming weekend with drinking friends and family is going to be challenging. I don’t know if I’m ready to be around drinkers yey, the temptation has always been so strong in the past, hence the many slips.... I might need new friends too.... 😳
Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never regretted doing what I needed to do to get sober - it all works out

D
Old 05-21-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thecompanykept View Post
Hi all, day 1 in the bag. Not drinking but definitely in a downward depression spell, I am supposed to be going out tonight and being social and I really can't be bothered to do anything - ironing, cooking, cleaning, reading, I'm just mindlessly browsing the internet. I know I should force myself to do stuff but I just don't want to.
Hey thecompanykept, I have been pretty down and depressed too. Pretty much all week since day 1. Not wanting to do anything. No energy or motivation for anything. Spent yesterday morning crying my eyes out and couldn’t come up with any good reason why 😢
Hang in there, it does get better. I’m starting to feel a bit better today, less depressed and anxious than I have been all week. Maybe because I’m into week 2 as of today 😊 but I think it’s also because I finally overcame my fear and joined up here... it feels like a step in the right direction anyway, as I’ve been in denial for so so long, I’ve been believing the AV for too which I’ve finally realised is just a sneaky destructive liar 🤥
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 8 after work check in.. Went great! for the support
Hope everyone's OK.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks a million rj, Dee and Willow. Waking up and reading your posts with my morning cup of tea has lifted me up and I feel stronger and more positive. I have always lacked confidence and being brought up as an army kid have always been very hard on myself. It's funny when I think about it that most people who meet me say "you're so strong and confident and you don't take any crap of anyone, wish I could be more like that". They would be surprised to know that inside I feel the way I do. I need to learn a balance of what battles to fight and which ones to walk away from, I head into every battle ready to defend and fight, I am slowly learning that you should pick your battles and you don't have to fight every single one.

I am really looking forward to rehab now (3 weeks to go) and I can start having counselling to understand a lot of this sort of stuff. Part of me I think is scared stiff as this is when the real work starts, my AV is loving this and is trying to use it as an opportunity to derail me. But steadfast I will stay.

Welcome to the class newcomers, great to have you join us!

Free2beme, I have said this before but the measure of you is not by how many times you fall down, but how many times you get back up. You're back up, what's done is done and all that matters is today and that your back on the sober train. You can do this! x
Old 05-21-2018, 02:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I'm trying another Day 1 so please may I join the class of May? I look forward to getting to know you.

Forwards.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Meant to lady thank you so much for your encouraging words. I’ll keep that in mind as I go through my day today.

Also thanks to all the May 17ers -all who are supporting me is a great place to come and I appreciate it so much. It’s greatly support each other.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Hi all,

I'm trying another Day 1 so please may I join the class of May? I look forward to getting to know you.

Forwards.
Forwards, of course you are welcome here. It is still May. We will do this together ! 14 hours and counting for me......
Old 05-21-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Just starting my day 1. I've been here before. I've been trying to limit my drinking but it never works. I'll tell myself I'll just have two beers and it turns into eight or ten! Why? Anyone else deal with this? I've been drinking a lot in the last month and am ready to quit for good. I feel angry, sick and tired. Thank you for being here.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome forwards, willow and kona5k

yeah 'only a couple'; this is the last time'; I don't really have that much of a problem'; 'I deserve a drink after that'; 'I need to unwind'; 'I just don't care tonight...'...

the rationales were endless for me.

when I finally accepted I had a problem, and accepted that my relationship with alcohol was toxic and always would be, that really helped.

What also helped was admitting the truth that it's the first drink that restarts the madness, not the last.

Don't have that first drink.

D
Old 05-21-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning. Starting day 9, sleeping much better.

I’m reading everyone’s posts this morning, and apologize I don’t have the time to reply to each of you. I enjoy reading everyone’s stories and situations.

And no matter what day your on... know everyone has a day 1 (or probably multiple.) You need to start somewhere, and move forward.

My family is still asleep right now. I have the door open for fresh air and enjoying a cup of coffee. Plans to go fishing this morning on the lake with hubby and littles.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good morning folks. I'm back on day 1 and would like to join this class
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

StartingOverNW, Kona5k and forwards, grab your tickets and take a seat in the Class of May carriage of the sober train, great to have you join us x
Old 05-21-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome, new May 18 friends! It's a great group to be in. We all stumble, and then we get back up and brush each other off and try again.
Starting day 9. It's been a really great run for me so far. I am apprehensive about 3 nights in a house with a mini bar. My most vulnerable times are early morning hours when I'm up with the baby. It really hasn't been a struggle without my credit cards to enable me to buy, and it wasn't really a problem spending a few hours with drinking friends, especially knowing I had to drive the baby home after. BUT, a long weekend with quality whiskey available is going to be a little harder. I am grateful that I will (hopefully)(no, definitely, I can do this) have almost two weeks under my belt at that point. That is too much time to just throw away on misery.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Wow am I glad I found this forum exactly when I did. Seeing the incredible courage you all have to tell your stories, express your fears, and admit your weaknesses gives me so much more courage. One day at a time everyone. That's the only way I can do this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH to Dee74 and all you other heaven-sent people who provide us with so much amazing support and encouragement. I had no idea there were good people like you out there. I hope to do the same when I can get some more sobriety time under my belly.

Into just Day 4 for me today. It's a tough one like yesterday. My meds are not up to full strength yet so I'm only getting so much help from them. No excuses though. No going back to being a drunk and killing myself slowly with alcohol. It ain't gonna happen.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi free2beme - so sorry that you have been struggling, and really glad you have dusted yourself off and come back again. Do you know what triggered the drinking? Can you put some tools in place to avoid it happening again?

Day 3 for me. So far it is going ok - I had a massage yesterday and they offered me tea with rum in afterwards. I said I don't drink and it was pretty easy - that said, not sure how easy it would have been if they had offered me wine instead!

I've been fairly unproductive in other areas of my life. I skipped book club last night, worked from home today and am skipping Amnesty International meeting tonight. I know I should go out and be sociable but it just feels too hard at the moment. I did however do some very basic cleaning today, grocery shopping and ironing. And I changed the bedding. Think I am going to force myself to go for a swim after work tomorrow, as I haven't exercised in weeks and really need to. I am hoping that will help, as well. I need to put some strategies in place to handle this weekend, as it's almost always weekends visiting my parents that set me back.