Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 3

Old 05-05-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JC-NY View Post
Hey CrossYourHeart, what’s new?
Hey. Thanks for asking. I’m super busy this time of year with work, so I don’t have much of a life, not that I care much for socializing anyway . Trying my hand at building a large cage for one of my reptiles this weekend. He’s an Argentine Tegu, which grow to be in the 4-5 foot range as adults, so I’m attempting to build him a 7X3 cage. I’m not super handy, so this should be interesting.

That may not seem like a sufficient cage for such a large lizard, but typically, they will have free roam of the house when they want it, and use the cage as a home base of sorts. Other than that, I’ll probably just clean snake cages and otherwise tinker around the house. My critters take up all of my free time, but that’s kinda how I like it.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

BTW, 96 days sober now, and starting to feel like NOT drinking is normal, whereas before, it was difficult to imagine one day without drinking. Even though I don’t post a ton, this place has been SO helpful. I’m glad this group is still kicking.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

I had to look up Argentine Tegu, interesting creature. Stay strong CrossYourHeart, glad you're doing well.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Yes. That’s probably just a yawn in that picture. They’re actually quite tame in captivity. They’re quite intelligent. Some will learn their names and seek out human affection. I had a buddy whose tegus would scratch at the back door when they needed to go out to relieve themselves.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I did have a few hours with just my son and I. We had lunch and I took him to get some football cleats for school and hang out at the bookstore. I picked up a book called The 4-Hour Work Week. We will see what's up with that. Lol

So my husband and son spent the entire rest of the day playing fortnite. So I decided to hunker down on the couch and watch Lifetime movies back-to-back. It may sound boring but we have been going for a few months with constant weekend trips so this was nice.

My new my pillow is freaking awesome. It's like a hug and around my head and I'm sleeping for longer intervals as I have insomnia and never really sleep more when 3 hours at a time.

So I hope you are all enjoying your sober weekend and making the most out of it!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Sounds like a GREAT day, Sunshine.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Spent most of yesterday building the tegu cage. It’s turning out nicely; I’ll post a pic or two if I can figure out how to do so. I finally got sick enough of my lack of music on my phone that I signed up for Apple Music. How great! Spent the hours working on my little guy’s cage listening to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest! Instead of sitting in front of the TV drinking, I’m in the garage doing something constructive, and catching up on some awesome old metal! Sober life is indeed amazing! !
Old 05-06-2018, 11:33 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

You cannot go wrong with Maiden and Priest. Hope to see pics of what you are working on.
I had a pretty big anxiety attack this afternoon. Instinctively wanted the drink BIG time. My God it passed. I may need to get the Vodka out of my house because this urge was totally unexpected. And I remembered that I still have the Grey goose and the thought crossed my mind. Anyway it's gone and I still feel stronger and stronger everyday. I'd be lying if I said that these urges did not exist. At least they are few and far between and thanks to support of a select few and my own freaking decision to be alcohol-free I'm able to fight through this. So close to being on the other side. Want to deal with anxiety frustration and negativity without being in fear that I will slip up. I know it's possible because I attained that before.

Came across a feed somewhere and helped cheer me up.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-06-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to swap out your FB link sunflower - we don't allow FB links.

D
Old 05-06-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee
Old 05-07-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Excellent CrossYourHeart, I’d love to see some pics.

So glad you didn’t drink Sunshine, Best to get all alcohol out of the house. A couple of times when I slipped, it made it so much easier to pour a glass (or five) because my wife had vodka in the house.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Word!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

And... loud Ratt, Ozzy, all things 80s help. My plan really helped. Your support really helped. Going to go hit up a SMART meeting tonight. I'm so close to 90 days. Scares me cuz that's right around the time of lapse. Get some face to face with some other poor souls. lol
Old 05-07-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Stay strong!!!! You know it's totally worth it. Being on SR has been life changing for me. Not exaggerating.

Great day in the gym yesterday, then had to work in the afternoon. Started the tanning process at the gym! They only let me go for four minutes because I've been indoors all winter, with the exception of getting some sun while jogging or biking. Sometimes it sucks being in the NW.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

I haven’t achieved long term sobriety yet, but being free of alcohol for about 11 of the past 14 months has turned my life around. I’m sure it will get even better too. The members on SR have helped me immensely.

Tanning rules, who knew? Haha
Old 05-07-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Like I say, the time spent sober is all money in the bank, even if it's interrupted by some slips. No need to beat yourself up.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Thanks OOTT. I did beat myself up some, but that’s in the past now. I feel that some hard lessons have made me stronger. This time it feels different in a good way.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Congrats on 96 days, CrossYourHeart, that is a such a fantastic milestone!! Closing in on triple digits! The days are adding up.
The rewards for doing this are subtle at times, but they're there. I know at one time I couldn't even imagine not drinking, or more accurately, being drunk, virtually every night. I would get beer on the way home, and start drinking immediately. It became obsessive behavior, and it happened slowly and over months and years, until I was firmly addicted.
I remember thinking that I never in a million years thought I would be an addict, but it happened to me. It takes effort to break the addiction, but it can be done, and with some resolve, it's really not all that. For me, one big positive is that I haven't half assed it at all. I was serious about being an alcoholic, and I became serious about recovery.
I would probably be in serious trouble right now if I hadn't stopped.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

The AV urge hits all of us at times. I mentioned the struggles I went through, literally driving around the block at night four, five, six times, wrestling whether I was going to go in and get a six pack. Eventually I broke those struggles, but it's been some of the hardest times I've experienced. What double sucked is that I couldn't call anyone. Mrs. Tiles doesn't know how bad my addiction is/was. I probably should have gone home and posted on SR, but the times I'm thinking about, I was so conflicted I couldn't even follow my own advice. Luckily I got away without relapsing, but it literally could have gone either way.
Before coming to SR, I tried everything to quit on my own.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

OOTT you are so inspiring.

So today is 80 days I like whole numbers. I guess I've had two close calls in this time frame. The number one thing that has kind of Saved Me is posting here first.

Tomorrow is the sad day for the anniversary date of my cousins suicide. I'll be happy when this date is over. I have sent his mom also my cousin a huge bouquet of flowers. I was bummed I couldn't get the rainbow roses in time I waited too long. I'm going to send pizza out to the grave site because his mom will be there the entire day.

I didn't end up making the smart meeting last night. By the time I looked at the clock it was already after 7:30. And it starts at 7:30. Oops

Getting ready to take my car in because the key keeps making it beep when I get close to it. It must be a electrical. I'm glad I wasn't trying to sneak away or anything because everyone would know I was coming.

So Friday night my husband and I are going to my sister's halfway house to play The Family Feud card game with her roommates. This is going to be interesting!!!