Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #4

Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Courage - I hope your symptoms ease up soon.

I’ve been really busy lately with work, kids, friends, exercise - all good stuff, all positive activities.

Lately I’ve been reflecting about where I was 3 and 3/4 years ago compared to now. I’m so grateful for AA and SR. I owe a lot to people who carry their messages of hope. I try to pay it forward but I’m still focused inward in many areas that still require growth. Overall, though, things are so much better than when I first stepped foot here.

I hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi glee, gilmer, stargazer, FBL, Dee, Carlos, JL, site, lurkers...

Glee, I hope you go to a meeting! You never know what you'll hear or say to someone at a meeting that might make a difference to someone struggling. & to you, even if you don't think or don't know you're struggling. I think I'm always struggling, a little!

One of my old students -- the very dearest, the best young woman you can imagine -- has new and I think very bad complications with lupus. She was very strong for a few years, and moved upstate a little ways from home to go to school, and taught and studied there, and gained some weight, & even had a romance and a whole set of teeth implanted! But now the future doesn't look so good.

Can there be serenity in accepting her suffering?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It's complicated courage, and really no right or wrong answer in my opinion.

Glee, it is good to take a moment and reflect back to where we were when we first stumbled (figuratively and literally) onto SR and sobriety. Even as you approach four years of sobriety, the darkness from which you emerged is still very fresh and recent in the grand scheme of things. I think it's good that you are still seeking growth and trying to pay it forward to others.

Gilmer, I know you asked about Delizadee the other day. I think she will be ok in my telling you all that I have kept in contact with her and she is sober and trying hard to right her ship after hitting a difficult bottom a few months back. She is still working insane hours baby sitting most days and not spending time online. Hopefully, she will find a few moments soon to pop back in and return to our little corner of SR here.

FBL, how is Fran doing at home these days? I'm sure it has been a huge adjustment for all involved.

Carlos, always great to see you pop in. You have gone out on more dates in the last year than I ever did in my years of being single. I hope you find the one whom will truly make you happy.

Late night at work, so it's probably time to hit the sack.

Have a good day all!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

That's a tough one, Cour. I don't know why some have to suffer so. Perhaps they are here to teach us a greater lesson. Watching my Dad pass away before my eyes was tough, but I learned a lot about life by the way he handled death.

I get to see Fran often. She's doing about as good as can be expected. Her daughter is doing the lion's share of the care work, she's really a special person.

Making some good headway on my book project. Still several more mountains to climb, put I'm just taking them as they come.

Have a great Thursday, gang!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Courage, I'm sorry to hear that. Just another reminder to live every day to the fullest!

Still very busy, but things should start to slow down a bit with the holidays. I don't mind being busy, but it will be nice to have a few days with no schedule!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Site!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

(cough, cough) I have four years today.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations, Gilmer!!!

Hip Hip Hooray!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Way to go, Gil! Wow, 4 years! Time flies when you're sober!!!!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

How is your vertigo today, Cour?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats Gilmer on four years! Amazing!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Thanks, SG!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats again Gilmer

D
Old 11-17-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

WHOA !!
4 yrs !!!! Congratulations, and good JOB !

Coworker has cancer- colon, liver, lungs. Gonna be terrible. Don’t know if gonna work anymore.
Took 9 yr old to see “justice league” lotta fun w kids at movies past couple of weeks.
I’ve adjusted myself some on 19 yr old. He’s doing ok.
Wife’s recovering from surgery well.
I picked up a sponsee at our meetings. Just a part of the recovery program. Long as none of my “good ideas” take place, I may be of some use. Works crazy. I failed the FF test, but am not giving it much weight. I’ll take it again, but I’m starting to look for online self learning math sites. Always sucked in math, flunking out of college in the 89-90 yr. Might look into breaking through a REAL wall “blocking “ my confidence.
Life is always a flood with me. Lotta bad and lotta good.
Good to read your posts
Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I found my brain had really matured in a lot of ways after I’d aged a few years.

I took some math classes several years after I did poorly in them initially—I comprehended much more and did much better.

I definitely think you ought to go back and slay that old dragon! It feels great!
Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Long as none of my “good ideas” take place, I may be of some use.

How are your classes going Gilmer? Better, I hope.

I'm sorry to hear about your co-worker, JL. FBL, I hope your boss and Fran are getting along -- is she going to be able to walk? Such grave physical problems make drug and alcohol abuse seem trivial and selfish. I'm ashamed of myself for having squandered what I should have rejoiced in. But that's all past. Now is to do better.

Have a good day, and a sober one!
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Gilmer! 4 years! Congrats - that's awesome!

I was always alright at math, but I didn't enjoy it at all. I actually dropped out of high school. It just wasn't working for me. I've been fine staying employed without a diploma, but maybe I'll get my GED one of these days!
Old 11-18-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Yes, school is going a bit better, thanks. I keep plugging along!
Old 11-18-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
p***enger

Site, I didn't like school either.

stargazer, I'm glad you & Delizadee are friends, and that's she's doing ok. If I were Dickens, I'd write a book and make Delizadee the heroine.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

GG, BIG congrats on four years. I'm glad we are getting to share this sober journey together.

Cour, interesting question about serenity. I'm pretty sure that I could not find anything to offer serenity in considering her physical circumstances. For me, it could only come via the big picture...I was lucky to meet her, I enjoy teaching her, her presence offers joy, I will be the best friend that I can as she suffers physically, I'm willing to accept in my heart that I have no control here....comes to mind.

There are many days that I feel at peace in the storm. Every day I think about my oldest daughter...I don't like what has happened - but, yes, I accept it. If I'm going to find peace, agree and accept must be at odds.

It's been a busy week and weekend thus far and planning a day to relax today. The weather has been spectacular and I'm excited to run/walk the beach later this morning with my friend. We oft hit this very cool diner after. After that - no plans...that's kinda nice.

Have a nice Sunday, all.

Carlos