Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #4

Old 11-11-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm trying to finish this proposal -- it's due Tuesday. Yesterday we had a really good work day -- we went through it almost line by line. Now if nothing else I know where all the problems are.

Have a good weekend, and POST! (please)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I just wrote a long post about my coming weekend, but I lost it.

My daughters are taking me out to my favorite restaurant in the universe as an early birthday gift tonight. We will be gussying up!

Four of my five kids are visiting for the weekend—we’re celebrating my husband’s birthday early, too.

I plan to eat lunch in a minute, then take a nap so that I’m in tip-top condition—then we’ll leave at 5.

I have to drive the girls home tonight, so I probably won’t be able to give the review till tomorrow morning.

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Best of luck on the proposal, Cour.

Happy early b-day, Gil.

Have a great Sunday, all!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks, FBL. I worked all day on the budget yesterday. I thought I had it right, and mostly did, but when you get down to uploading it, you always find some glitches. For a while I was $25k in the hole, which was unpleasant
Old 11-12-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Dinner was fun and a great time, but, alas, lightning doesn’t strike twice.

It was a Saturday night and it was crowded, and we were all much more stressed with the logistics of getting there and parking than I had been on the other occasion I was there.

Before I had wandered in all by myself early on a Thursday evening full of joy and wonder, and the waitstaff was like Cinderella’s fairy godmother. This time it was still great and I certainly am glad we went (and so were my daughters), but I felt awkward and stilted from the get-go because I wandered in the wrong entrance and a helpful but somewhat patronizing host led me to our table.

And the food was just meh. Last time each course was like opening a new package on Christmas morning.

But we all had a good time anyway—my expectations were just too high.

When I have a great experience, I tend to get greedy: I want to repeat it, and I’m finding that often special experiences are a one-time gift.

I never realized that before. I always chalked it up to my being overly enthusiastic and then unreasonably nitpicky.

Not so much: I just sometimes look for things which cannot be found.

Interesting lesson.

And we did have a great time overall.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
p***enger

Ah Gilmer! So we go from enthusiasm to disappointment to enthusiasm again. And the middle part between mood swings when I, at least, am just kind of tired out by it all.

I'm crashing a little now, but I can't afford to. The budget was a reward for the work Friday, but today I have serious editing to do, and whatever infusion of vigor I can lend the whole narrative. But my vigor-o-meter is low. Coffee will have to substitute.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

HI everyone,

It sounds like we are all a bit busy!! I know I am. I find that I have a hard time making it to meetings. I want to go - AA gave me my life back. But I have so many conflicting responsibilities that I can’t make it to my home group meeting most weeks.

I get to put the program’s principles to work most days because my job is heavy on the emotional and motivational side of work. It’s not the same as a meeting though!

It’s easy to convince myself that because I’m doing ok that I can skip meetings. It’s also easy to be pedantic and tell myself that I have to go 5 days a week. Like everything, finding that balance between what I owe to my responsibilities and what I owe to myself is the key.

I did the usual hockey thing this weekend. I’ve also had a really nice girls night last night, dinner and a movie. Then I went home and bought tickets to see the Foo Fighters next summer.

For years I didn’t go to movies or buy music because it seemed so self indulgent while I was a stay at home mom - and my husband isn’t much into those things. In recovery it has been wonderful to seek out the activities I enjoy.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi folks,
Crazy work, busy busy home. Schedules blah blah. Missing meetings and feeling the scrambling of my ego bouncing around, until I get to one to realign myself.
Lot of ppl around me at work and old friends are dropping w cancer. Some older. A few kids. Heartbreaking .
I made it through USMC Birthday, and Veterans Day by playing with my family. Kept mind off of ..... whatever was in there ! Lol
Evening 2 of 3 days off then back to medical emergency after emergency. That part, I got my groove on, with
. Had my phone just shut off so not to hear any more bad news.
You all, I got to missing, though. I’ll catch up. ((❤️))
Old 11-12-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Seems like everyone is busy and trying to find that special balance in their lives between work, social lives and personal fulfillment. If anyone figures it out, please let me know!

I had to climb up onto my roof with a pole pruner and cut off a storm damaged limb that was banging on the rooftop. I am scared to death of open heights like that, and it has only gotten worse with age. Luckily, I was able to finish quickly and get back down before I was totally overcome with fright.

Have a good evening everyone!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I am finally settled down after a busy weekend.

Gilmer, the first time I had that happen where it was so evident was one of the first fancy meals I had with my ex. Our second go was a totally different experience and it was a big letdown. From that point forward I have tempered my enthusiasm and expectations. Ex and I joked about it for years after, so it stayed forefront, even in active addiction.

Happy budgeting this week, Courage. Now go find an extra 25K. Oops, that was my active addiction voice.

Hope that you had a nice nature walk today, FBL...cold, I hear.

JL, hope when you pop that phone back on you find something good in a message.

Glee, enjoyed talking early in the week about my bad meeting experience. I've worked through it and feel much better. Lots of long sobriety and very religious-not just spiritual group and our Step 11 meeting had me wanting to run out of there. Getting on my knees daily and the St Francis prayer aren't in my recovery playbook. I get more than a feeling they see me as "less enlightened" by the way they respond to my "Universe" as my guide shares. Anyway, I'm comfortable in the feeling that I control my will and that's my path.

Yes, Glee, I too credit AA and its people and principals for saving my life. I live by a guide that 100% AA based - but not religious. Most days I feel spiritually fit. When I'm not, I mess up, or, work on my expectations.

Anyhoo, had Savage Race #2 (7.2 miles with 28 obstacles and lots of mud) this weekend. A very challenging physical experience that is balanced by bonding and teamwork. Do that with a small group and you bond quickly. Then, IL surprised me by being at the finish line and snapped us crossing as a team. She then had dinner with us. Haha, my gang really liked her and wonders what she sees in me. First time anyone has met my family - well, I mean Y family.

Busy week planned with work, w/outs and plans to see IL 3 times. Our game is stepping up. We've been healthy eating till TG and will share a couple meals during the week. We're not neighbors...between 40 and 60 minutes apart - time of day thing.

Nice catching up....have a great week, POST-ers.

Carlos
Old 11-12-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I’m sorry your meeting was a downer, Carlos.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

SG, I’m glad you got rid of that branch and made it down to solid ground safe and sound. That would have freaked me out, too!

JL, you’ve been swamped. I’m glad you’re finally getting some time to decompress. How are you doing with your oldest son? I hope you guys are well and finding stuff to bond over.

Carlos, those Savage Races sound like a blast! I’d love to see a video of them, one of you should record one and put it on YouTube! I’m glad IL and your friends got along great.

Glee, what is happening in regard to those violent hockey brats? Have you found a group of like-minded parents to take your concerns higher?

Cour, I hope you are getting a good sleep tonight and wake up with extra strength, stamina, and coffee tomorrow.

You too, FBL!

Dee, I hope you’re having a very pleasant Monday.

Site and CK, are you out there? Del? I hope you’re all doing well.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

I feel great right now. I was so wiped out from last week and especially the weekend that I slept pretty much solidly from 2 pm till now! I really needed it. I’m so much more rational now than I was 12 hours ago.

The miracle of sleep never ceases to amaze me!
Old 11-13-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Got caught up on my sleep the last couple of nights. Boss hasn't said anymore about my honest mistake, so that's helped a lot.

Have a great Monday, gang!
Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Getting an extra early, Star-like start to my Tuesday!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That’s so funny FBL! The next couple of days I’m working until midnight, so you will have the early mornings to yourself.

Have a great day all!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm having another attack of vertigo. I don't think it's safe for me to walk to work -- falling down in the middle of 3rd Avenue would be a bad idea -- which may mean I have to cancel a class tonight. At least the grant proposal went in, and I can write ok as long as I hold my head in one particular position. sigh.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I’m very sorry, Cour. How often does it happen? It seems like it’s getting worse lately
Old 11-14-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm thinking it's something to do with my neck. I've had problems with neck pain for a long time. I don't think there's much to be done about it. When I'm under pressure, my neck pain flares up, and now, maybe, that sets off vertigo. Or maybe not. Where's that idunno smiley?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a great Wednesday, all!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

You too, FBL.