Notices

On My Way # 6

Old 05-12-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
SL, I should have added to my previous post that a dish like you're making tonight would be something I would make when my son was not home because he's not a curry fan, but something me, my wife, and daughter would enjoy.
I love curry, GC

We must found a great Thai restaurant. Yay!!!!!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I understand your concern, GC. I agree with your plan to make that call

Have a wonderful time with your friends tomorrow.

Happy Mother's Day to your lovely wife.
Thanks for your advice/affirmation of my decision. It's odd having to call someone's mother or brother at our age, but there's nobody else I can contact because he doesn't keep in touch with any of our mutual friends and they've given up trying to be involved in his life.

Lastly, thanks about tomorrow. I was looking forward to it even before the big surprise about my friends from Australia being here. Best wishes for a very happy Mother's Day to you!

Tomorrow

I really should run, but the strength class I normally take on Sundays has been pushed back one hour so if I do some preliminary work early enough I'll be able to move the iron and be home in time to get my party cooking done.

It's 4:30 and I still have no dinner plans so it may be another night out. No complaints as I've been cooking for hours and I wouldn't mind going back to the Mediterranean restaurant my wife and I went to last night. Great food, large portions, very reasonable prices, and we can walk there. Win, win, win, win.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

The operative word of the day is tired. We had a great time yesterday despite non compliant weather; fortunately the house is big enough to accommodate the 23 people who were here. We had one great surprise, which I wrote about earlier. On Saturday the person who introduced me and my wife and currently lives in Australia called to say he and his wife are in the USA for a few days and would like to get together so we had them join the party yesterday.

My wife and I went to the gym yesterday morning and after that our focus was on party prep, hosting, and cleanup. I don't think I sat down until around 5 and believe me it felt good. There's still some clean up that needs to be addressed and I'll take care of that this afternoon.

I was at the gym for my usual Monday morning fun and did three rounds of:

Renegade rows
Db squat presses
Inverted pushups with lateral toe taps
Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts
Turkish getups
Planks
Mountain climbers

Dinner tonight is going to be leftovers. There's not enough of any one item to be enough for dinner, but between the three proteins and three sides there's enough for the four of us and my daughter's boyfriend to have dinner as well as providing lunch for my son and, most likely, me
Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

I'm on the cusp of screwing up my exercise plan for the day. So far all I've done is walk about 2 miles to do some errands, but I've yet to do the run I want to accomplish. Seeing that it's already north of 80F it's evident that I should have used my time more wisely.

Dinner is going to be flank steak with a garden salad. There will be either 3 or 5 around the table. I'm going to sous vide the beef and then sear it on a blazing hot grill, the first time I'm using this technique for flank steak. I'll be using my gasser and not my Big Green Egg although the latter will get hotter and impart more flavor; for once I'm going with expediency.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

I never went for the run I wrote about yesterday. Shame on me. On a slightly more positive note, I was at the gym at 5:50 this morning for a less than stellar workout. The actual exercises, 3 rounds of 3 different ones, weren't harder than the norm, but I was below average. I'll be back tomorrow and hopefully have a better showing.

I'm not sure about dinner tonight other than it's going to be me and my wife because the yungins are going out to dinner.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Today's workout was much better than yesterday's. Yay!

My wife and I wound up going to dinner with the yungins last night. We went to a very eclectic taco place and the food was delicious. I had a sesame tuna taco as well as a Korean BBQ pork taco. We shared some Mexican street corn on the cob and a helping of rice with charred pablano peppers. Today's dinner, at home, will be grilled chicken leg quarters with a to be determined side.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Well folks I made it to 60. Yep, today is my b'day and I started it with a run.

No cooking for me tonight as we're going out to dinner to celebrate.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

I had a great birthday celebration with my wife and the kids on Friday. I think I may have written that they wanted to throw a big party, but I was against it so although the vote was 3:1 my birthday gave me 3 additional votes and democracy was thrown out the window . Yesterday was low key and tonight we're going to dinner with an out of town cousin and my sister. My kitchen responsibilities will resume tomorrow.

I'm happy to write that my first two post 60th b'day workouts went well. The humidity today was a killer, but the workout is completed so yay! Before my cousin and sister arrive I'm going to take advantage of the small window of non rain we're currently experiencing, get on my hammock, and read. Yep, a lazy day from here on in.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Today was one of those days where I had to push myself to get to the gym because I wasn't feeling energized. As happens 99% of the time I felt much better walking out of the gym than walking in. I did three rounds of:

Kb double rack squats
Kb deadlifts
Incline Bb bench presses
Incline Bb skull crushers
Seated rows
Pushups
Standing Bb curls
Heavy ropes
Planks

Dinner tonight is going to involve chicken breasts and a salad.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day so far is 3.5 miles of walking with about half of that being a round trip walk to breakfast with a friend. Ideally I'll get a run done this afternoon, but the last few times I wrote that it never happened.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp and a salad. I'll be cooking the shrimp in a multi-cooker I got for my b'day so I'm not sure how it's going to turn out.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Early morning fun at the gym. Four rounds of:

Ab wheel rollout HOLDS (evil)
Kb single arm deadlifts
Jump squats
Heavy ropes
Pushups with one hand on a riser
Kb two arm swings

We then did a circuit of various core exercises for about 12 minutes.

Dinner tonight is going to be a turkey/Italian sausage meatloaf that I'm going to cook on my kamado cooker and roasted carrots with paprika.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

We're going away tomorrow afternoon so I may not have much time to write here, but I'll be able to hit the gym in the AM. For the three days afterward exercising is going to be challenging. I don't see anything happening on Friday and while I know we'll be doing a bunch of walking (mainly sightseeing type stuff) on Saturday and Sunday I'm going to really have to plan things if I want to get a run done. Weights are out of the question until we return home, but I'm going to squeeze in some pushups. Gotta do what you gotta do.

We're bringing healthy snacks for the car ride and the motel room, but all meals will be restaurant ones. The people we're visiting are not known for making healthy dietary choices but hopefully the venues they choose will have some good options. Obviously, no cooking for me until we return on Monday.

Per my usual M.O. I will not be online while away.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful time and safe travels,, GC.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful time and safe travels,, GC.
Thanks SL. We were in the Boston area to attend the law school commencement of my daughter's BF and hung around in the area for a few days and did touristy things.

Lately

A very nice time while away. As expected my diet was less than exemplary, although portion control was good, and the only exercise was walking for most of the day on Saturday. We got home Sunday evening and my original plan was to go for a run and then hit the gym Monday AM as usual, but for some mysterious reason I screwed up my back while WALKING on Saturday. I had no ROM of my left arm, couldn't bend, couldn't turn my neck, etc. Obviously, any exercise was out of the question, but I'm about 90% recovered and am planning to go to the gym tomorrow.

Dinner last night was burgers, corn on the cob, French fries, and a salad that was followed by lots of berries for dessert. I made the fries in my newly attained birthday gift air fryer/multi cooker and for 2 pounds of potatoes I used less than 2 teaspoons of oil so as long as one isn't trying to limit carbs, such as my daughter they were healthy. Dinner tonight is going to be chicken leg quarters that I'm going to cook on my kamoda and a side salad.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

My back is good enough for me to workout so I was at the gym this morning for the first time since last Thursday and it felt good to be back at "it". I rarely set an alarm, but I do on Wednesdays to ensure that I don't over sleep. I woke up this morning before the alarm and was hoping I had a few hours of sleep time left, but it was not to be as my alarm was scheduled to go off six minutes later. Bummer.

We did two different circuits with each circuit having 5 exercises that we did 3 times.

I'm planning on making pork chops tonight that I'm going to sous vide and after searing, top with a red wine and garlic sauce. I'll be serving eggplant that will be cooked on the stove until it becomes mashable and then will be combined with garlic, onions, bread crumbs, and parmigiana cheese.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

I had an excellent workout this morning. Two circuits, four rounds each, of four exercises. A smarter person would be able to recount all eight in sequence, but all I can relate is that there were squat variations, lunges, mountain climbers, bicycles, and chest presses in the mix.

I have no idea what I'm going to make for dinner and will report back when a decision is made.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Dinner tonight is going to be cod that will either be coated with a panko bread crumb and pistachio combo or cooked in a lemon butter sauce. The side is dependent upon how I make the fish; the former will have a veggie accompaniment and the latter some sort of grain.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

I went on a 1.5 mile run this morning and as with all runs of late it was harder than it should have been. My next run will be Sunday after lifting.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp Fra Diablo with a side of spaghetti squash.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I went on a 1.5 mile run this morning and as with all runs of late it was harder than it should have been. My next run will be Sunday after lifting.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp Fra Diablo with a side of spaghetti squash.
Shrimp tonight here, too, only with homemade pesto sauce!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Shrimp tonight here, too, only with homemade pesto sauce!
Sounds delish!