Notices

On My Way # 6

Old 06-01-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

My son is away for the weekend, but my wife and daughter have conspired and we'll be going out for dinner tonight. The shrimp dish will have to wait until Sunday at the earliest because we're going to a dinner party tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

I'm off to the gym and then will be heading to a Spartan race that my wife and daughter are running. After getting home from that we're going to a dinner party.

Going to be a nice day!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

I was at the gym yesterday morning and again this morning. Today's fun was three rounds of:

Trap bar deadlifts
Kb step ups
TRX table top rows
Ball slams
Heavy rope duffel bag pulls

Dinner tonight is going to be pork tenderloin and roasted Brussels sprouts.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Despite stretching my lower back was tight this morning when I started my run and things did not improve. No walk of shame home, but nothing to brag about either. I see a heating pad in my future.

Dinner tonight is going to be a chuck roast I bought on sale that I'm going to tenderize by sous viding it. I'll also be serving sautéed mushrooms and a spring salad.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

My lower back continues to be stiff despite stretching and using a heating pad yesterday. This morning I had to make some accommodations while exercising and if need be I'll do the same tomorrow.

As I type I'm smoking a couple of pounds of cheddar cheese. Dinner tonight is going to be grilled chicken leg quarters, a spring mix salad, and thinly sliced potatoes made in my air fryer/multi cooker.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

This is going to be one of my posts that has nothing to do with addiction, recovery, or really anything related to SR.

Shortly after my family moved in 1973 I met a kid and we've been friends ever since. That we've taken incredibly different paths in life has done nothing to diminish our friendship although even he will admit he hasn't made it easy. There were years when I possibly could have listed him as a dependent on my tax return and the amount of money I've "lent" him will never be seen by my bank account.

We live over a 1000 miles apart and he has no $$ to travel so the once a year I'm in his area I visit him. Except not this year, as I wrote about over a month a go, and not last year when he blew me off. The point of me writing out my thoughts this afternoon is that I've been trying to reach him of over six weeks. Mainly phone calls with a text or two thrown in the mix. No response. Zilch. Radio silence. His multi decade modus operandi is that when things are going well he is in frequent contact, often initiating, and when things are not going well he disappears. The last time I spoke with him things were not going well. I have four options in my opinion.

I can continue to reach out to him; I can call his mother, who has onset dementia; I can call his brother who he is estranged from; or just wait for him to contact me. The first and last options are the most appealing to me and I'm leaning toward continuing to try to initiate contact.

Clearly, I'm in the same position as I was a few minutes ago when I put my hands on my keyboard, but writing about my concerns, even though I've talked with my wife and a mutual friend about them, makes me feel better.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

My back was feeling slightly better than yesterday, certainly not a high hurdle to beat, so I went to the gym and only had to make minor accommodations to get through my workout.

Dinner tonight is going to be garlic/lemon juice marinated shrimp that I'm probably going to grill. I'll also be serving a spring mix salad.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention above that the cheese I smoked yesterday seems to have come out just fine, but since I need to let it mellow for a few weeks before tasting I won't know the final results until then. That written, I used the same process I've used numerous times with success and have no reason to believe that yesterday's effort will not yield a fine product.

In other cooking news, this morning I started curing a boneless pork belly that will become apple wood smoked maple bacon in about ten days.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

My exercise plan for the day is to go for a run in the latter part of the morning.

I'm not sure about dinner tonight as we have plans to go to a happy hour at a bar to watch a local band that we saw about a dozen years ago and haven't heard about them playing anywhere since shortly after that. Given that they're playing from 6-9 we'll probably have some pub food and since it won't be a late evening we will be in good shape to have a good workout tomorrow AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

A tougher than normal session at the gym this morning; core, upper body and some HIIT cardio. The rest of the day will be more enjoyable. We're going to an afternoon graduation party for someone we've known her entire life and afterward have been invited back to the house to hang out.

Obviously no cooking for me tonight.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Enjoy the graduation, GC!
Old 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Enjoy the graduation, GC!
Thanks. It was for the daughter of friends I've known since 1981.

My food choices at yesterday's party were carb heavy and I didn't hydrate as much as I should have. I'm trying to rectify that today, which started with a short run and then 60 minutes at the gym.

DD, who is on her way home after a weekend in Philly and her BF will be arriving soon to spend the week with us. Dinner tonight is going to be reverse seared rib eye steaks, a garden salad, and roasted potatoes.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Monday fun at the gym was three rounds of:

Incline bench presses
TRX table top rows
Pushups
Trap bar deadlifts
Push ups (again )
Bb curls
Planks

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp burgers, roasted asparagus, and a salad.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

I walked two miles round trip this morning to meet a friend for breakfast. My bigger plan is to go for a run this afternoon.

I'm taking advantage of it only being me and my wife for dinner tonight since my son doesn't like curry and I'm going to make a mushroom pepper stir fry with Indian seasonings.

Looking forward my plan for tomorrow is to make a chicken dish that Suki posted in the Recipe Thread yesterday. I already have all the ingredients and am currently defrosting the chicken thighs. I'm going to have to ramp up the amount of ingredients because there's going to be five of us around the table and I'm planning on making ten thighs. Including some to be determined side dishes that should be enough to satisfy the two (me and my wife) oldsters and the three (DD, DS, and DD's BF) twenty somethings. If not, they can have peanut butter sandwiches afterward and/or dessert.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

I managed to get a short run done yesterday afternoon, but my body was complaining so that's not good. Wednesday's fun was 3 supersets of the following done for 3 cycles and once just straight through at the end.

Glider mountain climbers and Db RDL's
Lateral box sprints and lateral cone to cone shuffles
One arm heavy rope fun while in a high plank and burpees
TRX table top rows with only one leg on the ground and pushups with a full core rotation

My wife and I wound up going to dinner last night so I'll be using the mushrooms and peppers that I already cut up for tonight's dinner. I'm going to sauté them and serve them as a side with chicken thighs recipe I wrote about yesterday. Depending upon how I feel there may be a salad or grain also involved.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

I wasn't feeling energetic today, but wound up having a very fine workout. Four rounds of:

High planks with shoulder taps
Db squats
Kb swings
Heavy ropes
Jump squats
TRX table top rows
Single arm Db chest presses while on an exercise ball
Dynamic step ups

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled pork tenderloin with a spring mix salad.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

You had a fine workout, indeed, GC.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
You had a fine workout, indeed, GC.

Thanks SL. I was the oldest one in the group, but was able to keep up with and in many instances out perform the younger folks. This old guy isn't ready for the glue factory just yet. :-)
Old 06-15-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day was a less than epic 2.5 mile run/walk.

No cooking tonight because I'm going out to dinner with my wife, kids, my daughter's BF, and my sister to a sushi restaurant that my sister has spoken highly about.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

A solid super set workout this morning followed by a 2 mile run.

I'm not sure about dinner tonight.