Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 10-02-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

hns: For stress: since i was able to (from about day four) I've been doing a 20 minute 'healthy body' yoga on youtube by a girl called Adrienne almost every morning. It's good cos you don't have to be bendy, it just stretches your limbs out. Most importantly it's slow so I can concentrate really closely on my breathing - you don't realise how shallow you breathe normally - so when I get stressed out in the day I can just stop for a minute and BREATHE. It's also been sorting my backache issues out so 👍 I'd highly recommend it!

Day 4-flipping-5 here and still truckin' 😀
Old 10-02-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Thanks hns, the addiction health center here is exceptional. They will give me 6 month worth of patches for free. Even the meds are free to help with cravings. I would really like to see a psych though. I don't know if i can mention it but i tried trazodone once for a month and it really helped my mood and sleep.
Thanks RAL - i take comfort in the fact that one thing i never regreted was travel! Have lots to prepare beforehand and that lady in Mexico is not being very helpful with the process.
Cheers to day 28 ending soon and to the rest on the road to recovery.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I haven’t checked in in a while. I unfortunately gave in a drank this weekend. I stopped through the town I used to live in on the way back home and it triggered me. I know that’s no excuse.

I guess I’ll stick around here. Back at day 1. It’s been a bad day, for many reasons.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Back from a super relaxing and well deserved weekend with husband.

Blue dog, hangclose and tight, I slipped last week and am feeling stronger than ever. all of us together can do this!!

Will check in better tomorrow.

Love you all

Badge
Old 10-02-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you decide to, you can get in early on the October thread before it gets too big bluedog

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-pt-1-a-3.html (Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1)
Old 10-03-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Squiz- yes, thank you for reminding me.. I love Yoga by Adrienne! I haven’t done one her videos (or any yoga) this past month… time to get on that! And yes, I totally do the shallow breathing too! I’ll try to remember to deep breathe and be conscious of that today. Thanks for the reminders!

Caprice- I’m excited to keep hearing about the updates for your travel plans. I’m up here in rainy Seattle so when you get down to Mexico I’ll be living vicariously through you. Really hope you get to be near the beach.

Bluedog- welcome back!

Badge- you’re right, we CAN do this together. ��
Old 10-03-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Today is day 32. The news of yesterday really shook me up. We leave for Vegas on Sunday and I’m curious how the vibe at Mandalay Bay is going to be. I’m imagining a mix of both heavy hearts and trudging forward. I keep thinking about what floor we will be checked in to.. the shooter was staying on the 32nd floor. Ugh, it really gives me a pit in my stomach, but I have faith that security will be at it’s highest and more than likely it will be the safest weekend there that there ever has been with so many police exc. On another note, I’ve been doing a ton of research of fun kid things to do while there since I’ll have my girls with me and we are looking forward to going to Siegfried and Roy’s Secret Garden, the Bodies Exhibit, the Shark Reef Aquarium and possibly the Beatles Love show. My husband and I are also donating blood as soon as we get down there- I have the universal blood type and he has a rare blood type so I’m sure both can be used if they are still in need.

Anyway, thank you guys for ideas on what you do for stress management. I notice that when I get stressed I chew on the inside of my lips, shallow breathe, don’t eat meals like I should, lash out at my kids and husband.. just not the healthiest things.

Oh, one more thing. Last night we had a fundraising benefit to go to and I really was not feeling it. I was sad and just not in a partying mood- also really worried about booze being there. It was an event that normally I would feel uncomfortable enough in my skin that I may consider drinking, but I just had a blast with my family. We danced and laughed and mingled and I noticed that the group next to us (drinking heavily) was really obnoxious! I had a great time and woke up sober this morning. The reason I’m writing about this is that it confirmed to me that events can still be fun sober… I think I actually had WAY more fun than in the past, drinking, and I remember every conversation. Fun can still be had in sobriety, ya’ll!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, sober day.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Day 29.
I'll definitely keep you and everyone updated for Mexico. This woman there though....doesn't answer all my questions, can't say much other than I have to be there like it's that simple without planning my budget, accomodations, flight and other details. Even for the Visa she's like i can get it done there but I know the process takes time and I wouldn't be able to start right away as i plan to. She seems to think I can afford a 3 month vacation so i started inquiring here at the embassy.
Speaking of which I will call, they are terribly slow at getting back if at all.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Good morning Peeps. Day 24. Neo - I am in a similar boat. I think the best thing we can do is exhibit action. Stay sober and be kind. There is lots of anger there. At least in my situation.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Hey Badge, just checking in.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Just checking in and things are going so well I'm not thinking about counting days. Now that I look it's day 25 (my prior record was 27 days), so I think my "new and improved" plan is working. Every day sober is just reinforcing this new life and building up good habits. My wife wanted to buy me a craft beer this weekend, but I declined. I just have no desire to give the demon any sign of life.

My daughter is coming home from college for a few days this weekend, so I'm hoping this doesn't lead to all the drama we've had in the past, which has been a major cause of my drinking.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Squiz thank you for the yoga idea, I am going to look into it. I am definitely not bendy, in any way shape or form.

Stay focused Frank14, sober is the best way to deal with drama.

Just returned from grocery shopping, made it again past the wine aisle!! yeah me!! Now trying to decide what to do next,,,,,

how are you doing Bluedog??

Take care all

Badge
Old 10-03-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Hi all, just thought I'd let everyone know how I'm feeling lately; and well, I'm feeling pretty darn good at day 38. Still going to lots of AA meetings, talking with my sponsor and praying every morning and night. This definitely has kept me sober and that desire to drink isn't there, I actually have days where I don't even think about it anymore. I'm going through a BB study with my sponsor and have just finished up questions on the Dr.'s opinion and Bills story and discussed the answers with my sponsor. This week I'll be doing "there is a solution" and "More about alcoholism.
My anxiety has seemed to subside quite a bit and my sleep has improved.
Now, my problem is some of the financial wreckage of my past is starting to veer it's ugly head. I had some financial crap pop up because of my neglect while drinking and I completely went into an anxiety ridden, worst case scenario situation. FEAR, thats all it turned out to be. Sure I had to deal with it head on but it wasn't nearly as bad as my brain was making it out to be. I talked through it with my sponsor and made some phone calls, some emails and somehow everything is seeming to work out just like its suppose to. Mind you, it's not the way I want it to work out, but it's working out in a way I can live with. Best of all, I didn't have to drink over it.
The "let go and let God" has really started to have some meaning to me. Cease fighting everyone and everything. Slowly, I'm seeing some changes in my attitude on life. I'm going to continue move forward in this new journey.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Hi Septemebers,
Checking in on day 29. Tomorrow will be the 5th, and I started on the 5th. A whole month. I'm feeling good, stronger. Starting to get a bit more social, which means being around people drinking, and it's been fine. The other night I almost reached for my friend's drink that was in front of me, just out of habit. I didn't of course but it was almost an accidental set back. I made a big batch of bolognese last night, and added half a bottle of red wine that came from work and had been open too long to sell anymore. I wasn't tempted by it.
I wonder about the stance on cooking with booze? I suppose most people here won't do it, because they'd prefer not to have it around in any shape or form? I'd be interested to hear.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

I read a whole thread on cooking with booze on here when I was first browsing the site and yes, the general
consensus was a big NO. Apparently the alcohol doesn't really 'burn off' like you think it does. Also it probably means having half opened bottles in the house.

I'm golden, I've never cooked with booze and I hate red wine anyway (which i guess is the most used of the booze)

I did go to a wedding recently and the desert had a Drambuie Ice Cream with it. I'd read the menu and hadn't connected the alcohol dots. I ate a little bit cos I was feeling naughty (cos I'm a lactose intolerant and I shouldn't be eating it) and then realised it was boozey as well which was worse - doh! So I stopped there 😂
Old 10-03-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

I made it to 30 days🎉 Thanks to everyone on the thread for the really helpful support this last month. I was a mess. Now more of a work in progress. Enjoy your day everyone!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Stronger

D
Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Seems like a good vibe going in here....Nice!

Let's keep it going....Thanks everyone for helping me stay sober another day!
Old 10-03-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Thanks Squiz. That's helpful. I'll try and find that thread.

I don't have the option of putting all alcohol out of temptation's way (I run a business that has a bar) so I'm not really worried about the little amount that might be at home. My workplace is really what tests me daily. If I can get through that I am ok if there is a beer or two belonging to my partner in the fridge at home.
Having said that though, a friend left half a bottle of white wine at my house, which is my at-home-DOC. I tried to get her to take it with her and out of politeness she wouldn't. I threw it out as that would definitely be calling me.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

‘Guys and GalsI haven’t kept up. Bad night last night. I was supposed to meet my buddy visiting from Europe and it was a wasted day. Yesterday I was up at 7:30, showered, went out for my normal coffee. Felt great. Meds really kicking in well at a raised dose. Helped my old man go out and buy a new mattress. Got shoes at LL Bean, applied for and got a great ‘Visa Signature’ travel card. My first really good card in a long time. Felt awesome. Was thinking positively of the future. Then drank. ???????

I need to stay in the moment, breath, work out, DEE I’ll need to use that plan. I’ll probably go to a famous ‘crab shack’ type seafood place with my buddy tomorrow. We can walk along the ocean pier. This State does not touch the Atlantic, we are on Long Island Sound. Eccchh. Hate the sound compared to real ocean.

Anyway I hope I’m well enough to make it. I feel like an idiot with all these relapses. Embarrassed.

Viper