Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 09-29-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Hi all

Thought I'd say hello in here. I'm Kelly - 6 days sober and to be honest, I'm seriously depressed and struggling with myself.

Last weekend I went on a bender, drank two bottles of wine, went out into town on my own and drank another 4 drinks and I've felt awful since.

Obviously was incredibly hungover but I've also felt incredibly lethargic and I have been sleeping a lot - my brain in a total fog and I've cried myself to sleep every night since,

Not really sure what to do but I'm not going to drink and I'm going to go to an AA meeting tomorrow evening.

Sorry for the depressing post but it's the truth I guess.

X
Old 09-29-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly. Thanks for sharing your story. I know how you feel about drinking at home and then heading out for more. Not pretty at all. Well done on six days!
Old 09-29-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly and Fourfiftyeight
Old 09-29-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Welcome Kelly and Fourfiftyeight !! Glad you are here.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Welcome Kelly and Fourfiftyeight! How is it going?
I have a day off! I have a lot to do though. Have to try and fix a tax problem. Boring and anxiety producing at the same time. Why can't they just make it easy? They know how much we owe, just tell us!
Also have a lot of cleaning to do. And will try to go to two meetings since I missed the past couple of days.
It feels great waking up sober and feeling good with a day stretching out ahead of me. So much better than the old way, waking up sick, disgusted, afraid and wishing I could die.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Hello Kelly and Fourfiftyeight! We have an awesome group here and so very happy you found us!

Have a lot going on today so just checking in.

take care all!

Badge
Old 09-29-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

afternoon all x
eww only 2 days and then it will be oct. Some brits will know that mcmillian charity does a sober oct month which i am going to do . so i am looking forward in doing this and it will push me further in gaining sobriety. The other good thing is my husband is going to do it with me so even better. I will also have other news in oct for me to push ahead even past oct when i go and visit my daughter so can't wait to share it with everyone x

Hope u all have a good day and will keep checking in x
Old 09-29-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Welcome kelly and 458

june, love your post, Well done on travellin g and having a good trip. Reading your post brought back some lovely memories for me. I went to NYC and DC way back in 1988 when I was 13 on a school trip. It was such an amazing adventure for us from a little town in England. The big city lights of NY and then the amazing buildings and greenery of DC. We were there on july 4th and saw fireworks on the potomac. even now 30 years later just reading your post took me right back there.

Today I spent money on having my hair drastically cut and coloured. I usually do home colour but thought i would treat myself on money saved from wine

Have a good day everyone
Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, 28 days today. I don't have time to respond to everyone individually but I loved reading everyone's updates this morning. Unfortunately social security was not able to repay the amount the withheld from me this month which equals about 40% of our income. For the following months they were willing to set up a payment plan.

We have a trip that has been planned for months now Oct. 8-13th, airline tickets already bought exc. so I'm trying to figure out how to do that. My husband has a work conference in Las Vegas and our older girls (9 and 11) and I are going to go. If anyone has ever gone to LV on a budget (think very little money!) or with kids, I'd love to hear any tips! I WAS a bit nervous only because I have been to Vegas a few times during my heavy drinking and know that there can be lots of temptation there. I guess someone up there knows what they are doing, because not only will I have my daughters with me all of the time which leaves no room for sneaking a drink, but I will also be counting every last dollar which means theres no money for even one drink anyway!

Anyway, Juno I really appreciated hearing your travel story. I'm actually nervous/excited in a good way because we are not on the same flights as my husband- I alone am navigating the girls and I to the airport, changing planes, finding a ride to our hotel and all of the activities we do while we are there since he'll be in the conference all day until late evening. I'm also thinking it will be a huge confidence booster for me that I can do this in a present, calm and mature manner in order to make sure that my girls have the best time.

Lastly, yes I can also relate to "running to the store" in the evening, except mine was always to grab a gatorade or coconut water from 7-11. I would grab one of those, but also wine, beer, whatever... I told myself I wasn't lying because I DID grab what I said I would... ugh, gross. So glad I don't have to live like that anymore.

Welcome new people! Have a great day/evening everyone.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Guys guys guys!

Two important things happened this afternoon:

1. I went back to my boss about the annual leave issue that had me all stressed out yesterday. With a calm and not hungover mind I revisited all the leave I had taken since I started working there in 2015 and all the days annual leave I had the right to take since. I redid the calculation with him based on his records and turns out I'm right! There was an error and instead of 4 days left from now until May 2018 I have more like 16!!! Whoohooo!

2. It was my last day of work before a week long vacation, and at the end of the day it was just my boss (who I have shared many boozy nights with at the pub) and I left at the office (we're a really small company). As I was just finishing up, he came over with one of the nice beers we still had in the fridge and offered me a glass. Oh god, I really really wanted that beer. Friday night is my big drinking night normally. And what did I say "No thanks, I'm off the booze!"
Boom! Just like that! I then sat there and chatted to him about how drinking makes me anxious and stressed, while he finished the beer by himself.

Holy Banana!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Well done Leeloo Great news all round.

here's to a happy sober Friday night to us all
Old 09-29-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Entering weekend number 4 and everything is going as planned. However, I think now is a good time to double up my efforts. I'll review my overall plan/tools, etc., along with going through some visualization exercises to avoid those weekend triggers. My main trigger is conflicts/arguments with the wife, so I don't engage anymore. I just ignore all the nonsense. Yell and scream all you want, I'm not being sucked into it. My sobriety is too important. Falling off the old wagon these past couple of times has reminded me to not get complacent and let my guard down.

Remember, you're not a failure until you stop trying. Hope everyone has a great sober weekend.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Day 2 and struggling today. Had an intense day at work. I usually stop at the store on the way home from work and open the first beer before I even get out of the car once home. I usually would have 2 of them slammed within 15 minutes on a completely empty stomach to make the buzz come on as fast as possible. Then they would just go down one after the other until they were all gone or I was passed out on the couch. If I ran out of beer before I was done drinking, I would break out the Scotch or open a bottle of wine. Then have a very restless night sleeping, or trying to sleep. Wake up hung over, swear that was the last time I would ever do that. Then drag my butt to work and at quitting time do it all over again. And again. And again.

But not yesterday. And not today. Took a different route home that didn't go past the liquor store and made it home without stopping. But I feel the pull of the evil spell alcohol has on me. It's calling me to go back out and get what I didn't bring home. But I won't. Not today. Today.....I win. Today with God's help, I didn't stop. Tomorrow I will wake up sober and feeling good. And I will begin again.

All of the stories I read on this thread by all you good people inspire me. Thank you so much for sharing with me. PEACE !!

Old 09-29-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Day 20. Very busy with work. My hair is on fire. Can you tell?
Old 09-29-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Great going Rob Day 2 is particularly rough as you're still going through the physical stuff. Lots of water, juice, tea and snacks. Treat yourself and you're going to feel great tomorrow as you will be sober and hangover free
Old 09-29-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

LeeLoo - I think that is fantastic. Expressing your problem, to you boss no less, took courage and shows your resolve. Well done.

Frank. Work that plan. We all have to stay sober this weekend. I am going to be working on my plan too.

Rob65 - Breaking habits. I think that's a big part of this process. I travel a lot. At the end of the week I am tired but usually charged up because I have completed a project etc. And of course I find myself (used to anyway) in the airport bar on that big day. I know lots of them. Of course I was a ******* wreck by the time I got home. That was a hard habit to break obviously
Old 09-29-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Thanks Badger. Habits are definitely hard to break. Alcohol has this hold on me that I want to break free from. I always thought I just needed to cut back a bit. Drink a little slower. But that doesn't work. Once I take the first sip, I can't stop. Abstinence is the only way for me to break free.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

I got myself a sobriety app last night, so according to that this is day 26😀 Thanks for the updates everyone. Enjoy your day.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

So nice to see all of your posts....together we can get through the weekend!

Leeloo I found a dancing partner for your banana!
Old 09-29-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Leeloo I found a dancing partner for your banana!
Hahaha, love it! It's a party!