Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Checking in on Day 4. Last night was rough; I won't write a book here but suffice it to say that a monstrous and unexpected work project fell out of the sky on me on Day One and paired me with a strongly-disliked partner on a very difficult task with a short (relatively speaking...one month) turnaround time. Combined with closing on a new house and possible surgery (minor but still good for a couple days out of commission) within the coming month, it's something of a perfect storm. Went out to dinner with my wife last night and stopped on the way home for a couple grocery items. I won't pretend that picking something up for myself, under the guise of a "rough week," wasn't running through my head the whole time in the store. Having a better day today getting down to business, but still wishing that life's timing was a touch better.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mielz View Post
Hi everyone after five years of soberity I have been drinking for over ten months now. Today is day two of soberity and I want this so bad again so here I am and saying hi
hi again Mielz Welcome to the class
Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Friends how does this class work ? Do I do a step or devotional a day , is it posted somewhere ?? Thanks for the help and support and accountablitlty
Old 09-23-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Check-in on day 24 I think.

Thank you for the great posts everyone!

I am in the midst of an impromptu girls weekend with 4 out of 5 of my best friends from college. Back in the day we were BIG party girls attending a private Irish Catholic college just south of Boston that had a full bar in the basement of the men's dorm. Big drinking culture. Go figure. Drinking age was 18.

2 of us continued to drink, one of them being me, to excess off and on over the years. The other girl is here this weekend. Well lo and behold, as I observed last night, they've all morphed into normal drinkers! Late dinner after many hours of talking with apps and wine and me on seltzer, I laughed and pointed out that all their wine glasses at the table were filled with water. Had I still been drinking I can promise mine would have had wine and I would have been sneaking more behind their backs. No desire to do so.

Headed for a short walk to the beach this afternoon then dinner in a local fabulous restaurant. Can't wait!

Have a great sober day everyone!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mielz View Post
Friends how does this class work ? Do I do a step or devotional a day , is it posted somewhere ?? Thanks for the help and support and accountablitlty
There are no rules Mielz. It's just a class for support for everyone quitting this month. Post as often or as little as you like. We talk about anything - our days, lives, struggles, plans for the day, feelings, emotions, problems anything at all.

Sometimes it just helps to write it down and share.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Day 2. I had a bad relapse on Thursday night. Stress seems to build during the week and by Thursday I can't take it anymore. I have to figure this out. I don't have another adult at home with me, so I have no accountability. On Friday morning, I reached out to my ex-H and asked for help. That was a big step for me. I was so sick I needed help getting the kids ready for school and he helped me. I don't know why I did that - but possibly a cry for help. I've been trying to do this alone and it hasn't been working. I also reached out to another friend here and a friend from my FTF meetings. Also, a good friend from college who is a supportive and sympathetic ear. I have to learn to reach out for help instead of thinking I can handle everything on my own.

I have a couple of huge stressful and negative family issues going on dealing with health and mental health (my Mom and my younger son). I am struggling with the intense demands of life. No one told me that parenting would be this hard. Having parents who are aging and failing is a horrible feeling. I'm beginning to feel like I'm floating around untethered. A friend of mine who recently lost both his parents told me he felt disconnected from the world and like he had no anchor. I'm starting to feel that way if and when the day comes when I outlive my parents.

Nevertheless, drinking wine is not the answer. I will continue on my path and hope to get this right this time. I really don't want to have to switch to the October group (not that there's anything wrong with quitting in October! But I want to do this now, and I have to do this now.) So here I am on Day 2 feeling infinitely better than yesterday.

My ex gave me wise advice, and it's not extremely profound, but hit me just the right way yesterday. I said to him, "I can't do this anymore. It's too hard." He said to me, "Just have to get through it one day at a time." So that's my new approach - not looking too far ahead, not trying to figure everything out. One day at a time. (I know I'm not the first one to say that )

Have a lovely Saturday, all!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Juno11 don't get yourself to worked up, day 2 is a good start again. You now Can have abit of September and all of October on your sobriety record!

Ive just rolled into day 8, feeling good, sleeping great, eating alot (beer/wine must of been my calories). But started also to get nightmares.

The one thing that is bugging me though is the irritability I've started to have, basically everything- or everyone that's close to me has started to get on my nerves, from asking to many questions to perhaps not understanding something.

But looks like Iam just gonna have to ride it out.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Thanks Renvate, I appreciate the support. Good way to look at it Congrats on Day 8!!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Welcome back Juno and congrats on day 2. the main thing is that you are back here and know you need to do something else as well - as Dee always says what are you going to do differently this time.

I know how hard it can be with children. As much as I love my son I find it difficult both in terms of the time they need and their emotional needs.- I am so tired all the time since I stopped drinking. I almost feel I was a better parent and happier when I was drinking. I know that is a lie though. I worry constantly that I am solely responsible for this little person's emotional growth and maturity which scares me seeing as I've done such a bad job on my own how on earth can I do a good job on his

I just keep telling myself at least if we're doing it sober it can only get better.

I can so relate Renvate. I'm not the most tolerant of people at the best of times and this month everything and everyone is setting my teeth on edge

Oh I sound like such a horrible person
Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ready at Last - I appreciate the support on the parenting front and the not drinking front as well! I'm going to stay positive on a day to day basis, as that's all that can be done. I can't fix everything and I need to stop trying.

I'm feeling much more optimistic now. The sun is shining, I'm doing laundry and bills (stuff I must do), I'm going to put air in my bike tires (& maybe take a spin!) ...and order a pizza tonight with my sons. Later, I have a movie to watch on DVD.
Weekends are good for recharging my batteries and my spirits.

Thanks everyone for being here and posting and providing awesome support. I'll be around this weekend and will post later.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Healthy Goals, I hope you enjoy your weekend with college friends. Sounds like fun and great that you have no desire to drink! It's going to be a much better weekend without a hangover!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Caprice6, I read the story of your new roommate moving in with all his junky furniture. I feel for you! I would be majorly stressed out, too. The good news is that it sounds like a temporary situation. You can get through this! It won't last forever!!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you had a rough night Irishlaw. Yes, the timing can certainly seem unfair and almost like someone is having a bit of a laugh at us at times

hope you have a better day today.

Good to hear you're feeling more optimistic Juno

RAL
Old 09-23-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Afternoon all, welcome mielz! we do not stand and or sit on formalities here, just good old support and understanding.

Congrats on day 8 Renvate! Hello Irishlaw, good luck with day 4! On to day 5!

Juno, I also like the 1 day, one moment at a time attitude. that is really all we can do. Please don't kick yourself to hard, your back and stronger than ever!

Today is going really well, beautiful weather, I bought some more bulbs that I need to get in the ground, but I am to comfy watching football and checking in with all of you.

take care all!

Badge
Old 09-23-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Goodnight all - very very tired after mountain-biking and an unexpected impromptu dinner party which I was dreading but actually went quite well with - Ginger beer (No alcohol), Lime an d soda and Earl Grey tea.
Sleep tight.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Quick check in on day 8. Having a great time on our trip. I have been walking around checking out local shops today, I have felt the urge to drink a few times but I have just been walking away. So far this tactic has been working we shall see how the rest of the trip goes. Happy Saturday!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Checking in. Wow, so many storylines I can’t remember them all. Caprice with the roommate really hits me. I live alone and am probably difficult to live with. A new (inconsiderate) roommate would get to me. I hope you’re able to extricate yourself from that situation soon.

Everyone else hangin in. Welcome if you’re new or coming back. Had a few minor irritations today but that’s par for the course. My AV never fails to test me. Just getting ready to hit the road Monday.

Be well everyone
Old 09-23-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mielz - this is purely and simply a support thread - everyone's very welcome to come, sit and talk about their recovery here.

If you're interested in the steps and daily devotionals, do check out our 12 step forum as well

D
Old 09-23-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Juno
I'm sorry for the roommate situation Caprice, and sorry for your work situation Irish..

Anyone having a tough time polease remember there's always support here, in the min Newcomers forum and in the weekender thread.

We can do this

D
Old 09-23-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

I thought I would pop in and say hello from the April 2017 class. I posted a lot my first 90 days, I'm sure I was a pain and even whined some, but no one complained. It is possible, especially if I'm succeeding....September 16 was 5 months, so hang in there it does get better and sobriety is possible for you!! Blessings all!!