Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #3

Old 09-05-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope you had fun at the picnic Gilmer!

My oh my, FBL, you certainly will have your hands full in the coming months!

Just got back from a five mile nature walk on a nice afternoon here. The air had that summertime heat bite back in it, but with a gentle breeze it was enjoyable.

Just checked my phone and see that I have saved almost $7,000 dollars not drinking these past two plus years. I never spent good money on booze, so that's why the total seems a little low. It was always bottom shelf spiced rum, boxed wine and cheap beer. It never mattered because I didn't drink for taste, I drank to adjust my attitude. Seeing the savings made me smile a bit.

Hope everyone is enjoying their first day back to work on a short work week.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

SG - $7,000 is impressive! Nice to have some extra cushion.

Today a situation is weighing heavily on me. There is a young man on my team at work who was found stumbling out of the building one night over the summer. A review of his calls the next day showed he was increasingly incoherent for two hours leading up to that. There have been a couple of times I've raised an eyebrow since then but nothing that led to an urgency to double check. Well, today he was no call/no show and his sister left a message with our security department that he's hospitalized and in the process of getting a diagnosis of an inflamed pancreas. I'm worried for the kid. He's probably somewhere between 25-30. His physical condition may or may not be related to addiction, but the fact that I've been suspecting substsnce abuse males this uncertainty weigh a little heavier.

Im saying prayers for him, as well as the serenity prayer to keep myself balanced.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Glee, hope the young man will be okay.

Have a great Wednesday, all!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your employee, Glee. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
p***enger

Glee, I feel for that fellow. So young! I hope he gets help with whatever his trouble.

My son leaves the country this evening. I hope I'll have more time to post than I've had for a few days, soon.

Del, I'm glad you ditched the photo shoot. I believe I have to protect my sobriety at all costs, and there have been real costs -- people I can't allow myself to talk to, places I won't go, jobs I won't take on. There were times in early sobriety when I realized rather late that I was in a situation that was totally not compatible with sobriety, and I had to cut and run, and sacrifice my "nothing fazes me" pride.

For a while I had to admit pretty much everything fazed me.

You can work on your unflappability and polish in Year 2. Being raw in early recovery isn't something you can turn on and off.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Glee, I'm really hearing what you shared about your son and dealing with helping him. Thank you all for the input and ideas !
I hope I'm not avoiding it, by doing nothing, but until I know what's the next right thing, I'm not fooling with what I think or feel in a hot moment.
Also thinking of the young guy at your workplace. Hope he can get some positive stuff going. I know until was at the bottom, I wasn't going to put in, to any recovery effort.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glee, here is hoping that the employee at work has hit a bottom and can start to turn his life around. He has a lot of good years ahead of him if he can do so now.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm heading off to jury duty this morning.

Have a good day!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Judge justly, Cour!

All my life I wave wanted to be on jury duty, but I've never been called.

My husband has been called three times, but he was exempt for medical reasons all three times. My dad was once the foreman on a jury.

Even two of my sons have been called !

Always the bridesmaid but never the bride!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

The last time I had jury duty, I hung around all day, then got picked as a potential juror in a case. Fortunately, I did not get selected, as the judge said that it would be at least a three day trial. My county pays me nine dollars a day and gas for each day served and my company does not pay for time missed. Perhaps another time!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Wow, jury duty sounds like a lucrative civil duty.

I don't know of anyone in my life and the various provinces I have lived in that have been called for jury duty.
Or maybe I just don't remember (too few brain cells left?) I know I haven't. Don't think I'd be too thrilled about that.

Courage, yeah... thanks for that. I don't know what I'm striving for here... it's like I have to present as totally perfect and together. Yeah the being raw thing seems to be getting worse instead of better, I figure it's the **** and the stress of dealing with life on life's terms again, on my own and pushing my stress limits to grow out of my comfort zone.
It feels like one thing after another and it just comes to fast. Like I am being pulled down into the water by the part of me that doesn't know how to swim yet, and just when I feel strong enough to get my head above water, I sink myself again.
I am bouncing back faster, I think.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
p***enger

That wedding thing would have shaken me up, too, Delizadee. Have you been able to reflect on it with anyone, your sponsor maybe? What's happened with you and a support community? I did AA for at least 2 years quite solidly. I honestly think I was too crazy and confused for that time to have stayed sober without it.

I've been called for jury duty 4 times! Once I served, and twice I was impaneled -- both of those times I was excused during jury selection. This time I ended up with a postponement, and made it to my office by 11 a.m.. In NYC there are no exemptions, you can get one online postponement (which I didn't do for reasons that turned out to be stupid), and then you have to show up.

I'm exhausted. My son's back in Switzerland, my data analyses are all f***d up, and I labored on Labor Day. If I were still a drinking person, I'd be lifting a glass to the gathering dusk. As it is, I'm getting under the covers.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Fel - My type A mentality only ever got me drunk. I had to step back and approach life differently to maintain sobriety, including easing up on myself (and others). I'm still a do-er, but being able to temper my urges and ease up has done well by me.

Last I heard on the kid from work, his family member said he was under observation at the hospital. I'll know more tomorrow. I'm still praying for him and hoping for the best.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ I hope he's ok.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Lately I've put undue pressure on myself to achieve difficult things on a strict schedule (not school). To accomplish it I've put school on the back burner--and I'm now floundering in everything!

So I worried and panicked! The more upset I got, the more I procrastinated!

I've given up the deadline on the extra project--from this point on, I'll just try to chip away at it little by little, as I have time.

Meanwhile, I've forgotten a good bit of Greek, so I'm now reviewing; by next Thursday I should be ready to start the next class.

I was upset with myself for misreading the situation; however, I'm taking positive action now to solve my problems.

I've been trying to cut myself a break!

Why in the world am I so driven to perform perfectly? As if!
Old 09-08-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Gil, just seems that some of us are cursed with perfectionism.

Today marks 3,000 consecutive days perfectly sober. Now THAT'S the kind of perfection that I love! For years, I couldn't string 3 sober days together, even if I tried (which I really didn't).

Have a great Friday, gang!
Old 09-08-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

MAJOR congratulations to you, FBL! I can't even conceive of how long 3000 days are!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on 3000 days FBL!!! That is an amazing feat and you deserve to feel mighty proud today.

I agree with you Glee and Gilmer. Being driven with a Type A type personality just made me drink more. My self proclaimed motto was alway "Work hard, party hard." Type A's seem to think that they can have it all.

Del, like Courage said, I hope you can get some local support. Living life a moment away from drowning is not living life.

Courage, I hope that you can reestablish a regular rhythm to your life once again now that your son has left.

My boss told me yesterday that he is switching my days off next month to Friday/Saturday. I haven't had a weekend day off in six years. I might even begin to have a social life once again!

Best wishes for a good day all!

Best wishes for a good day all.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations, FBL!!!

Gilmer, I do procrastination/desperation hustle, too. Always have. What with the drinking and the mood swings, it used to take me days or weeks to settle down to actually work. The last few years of drinking I never could work at all.

Now if I get thrown off course, like the last few days, I "bounce back" quicker. You will too! You always do! Del, you too!

That's good news from your boss, SG. Weekends in PA in the fall.... are you a hiking person?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

That's terrific, SG!

I know I'll feel better once I'm back in my regular school routine.