Notices

Class of August 2017 Part 3

Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
any advice that it's ok for an alcoholic to drink is worse than terrible advice
That's just it. They don't believe there is any such thing as a true alcoholic, indeed they believe the label to be harmful to long term recovery. This of course goes directly against everything I've learnt in AA and here on SR.

I've tried AA in the past many times over many years. I don't feel prepared to work the steps with a sponsor though - I have too many shameful drinking consequences to work through and want to do this in private. I had a bad experience last time I went to my local group where one of the group leaders swore at me in the toilets after the meeting. I've not gone back there since but there are other local groups to try I suppose.

Back to counting the days...

Thanks, Forwards.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

I'm scared of having my first bad AA experience...

It can get really overwhelming when you are receiving a lot of advice and some of it is contradictory. Try to hold on to the reason you got help to begin with.

Keep up the good work Forwards.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hey guys, happy Wednesday! Forwards, I agree with everyone, it is always the first drink that wakes the monster my friend.

Great seeing so many days adding up for everybody. Keep on moving team!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone, hope you all are well.

I've been battling terrible headaches all week. I met a woman in AA who said she had a continuous headache months 2-3. I hope that's not what's in store for me. Anyone else have this issue?

Night two without Ambien but last night I didn't sleep so well. Hopefully I will adapt soon and start sleeping well without it.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Good evening you bunch of scaredy cats! Sorry I haven't checked in, the last few days have been hectic literally from morning till night. Nothing to worry about, just helping out my family with some stuff.

I'm off to bed but will have a proper catch up of the thread in the morning. Forwards, someone may have letters after their name but they don't know everything and they certainly don't know you better than you know yourself. Stick with the Diet Coke mate! Night all! Xxx
Old 09-20-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Evening guys! I'm still feeling unwell, so I had to call in sick today. Hopefully I'm better tomorrow, I'm so tired of rotting in bed. Well, at least I have no desire to drink at all when I'm ill.

Leana - I have experienced some bad headaches and drowsiness for the past two months. I blamed it on drinking too much coffee and being dehydrated, but who knows... I hope that your headaches do go away soon and you get a good night's rest.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Leana - I've been quiet the last few days as I've been battling a headache. I had one for a full week a couple of weeks ago.
It seems to be a mix of caffeine, lack of water and sleep for me, but hoping this one doesn't last a week.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Morning all. I'm sorry to read about your headache leana, and yours tea. And sorry you are feeling so poorly too snuf. I hope you all feel better soon!

Not much to report here. Getting back to normal after having to accommodate some family members over the last few days, a very last minute request for help and I was glad to be able to do it. I don't think I would have been so willing or able during my drinking, so chalking up another positive on the old pros and cons board.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday, almost the weekend again!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon Snuf and leana

D
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Hello all, hope you are well.
It's a beautiful autumn day here.
Feeling quite good recovery-wise. Been doing good progress on the steps with my sponsor and have no thoughts about drinking.
Feeling a bit strssed and at times hopeless about my life situation in general - work opportuneties, living conditions, relationship and stuff, but i try just not to think of it too much, at least not worry about matters i can't change at the moment. Try to focus on recovery and my well being.
I'm feeling really tired all the time though, don't know if it's still my brain adapting to sober life or just an autumn flu sneaking in.
I'm also struggling a bit finding motivation and joy in the things I'm doing. I'd love to just relax with a good book or something but my mind seems unable to focus or find interest in anything i used to enjoy really. I hope it's just a passing thing though... don't really feel depressed, just a bit empty and unmotivation and unable to concentrate
Old 09-21-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Hi Tyger. You did a great job describing that feeling of not being interested in things and not being able to focus. I feel that way too! I think it's just our brain adapting but it's really unpleasant and inconvenient, especially at work. I can tell my boss knows there's something up with me, but I don't want to get into it with him.

I also feel very tired and have headaches and wondered if it was a fall cold. I hope it passes for both of us very soon. Tea too.

Glad to hear you are focusing on your recovery and well being. That's all we can do right now.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Hey guys....sorry I disappeared on ya! I ended up slipping so I'm back to day 7 ~ figured I would join the September class as well. Hope everyone is doing okay! Let's keep going!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Morning all. Good to see you purps, well done on day 7 and getting straight back on it after your slip. Tyger, leana, I feel a bit disengaged at work right now and that's not like me. Just plodding on though, I am sure these feelings will pass.

Wee day off for me today as I am working all weekend, so off to get my daughter and grandson for a day out. Hope you all have a great Friday!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Hey team, happy Friday!

Purps, I think you should stay with us my friend! You started with us, so keep on moving forward with us.

Glad it is the end of the week. I could use some down time for sure.

Getting the weekend plan together. I think we should have a big check in today team! Stop in and simply say hi!

Make it a great one today gang!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I'm a bit better, which is great because I didn't want to miss induction day at uni this morning. I'm feeling so happy and positive today... I can't believe how much my life has changed in such litttle time since I decided to stop drinking and work on my recovery. Yes, I'm still having bad days, life's really **** sometimes, I struggle with social anxiety, but I'm also genuinely happy and positive about the future. Honestly, for years I thought there's nothing to look forward to, just despair and loneliness. I'm so grateful for all the help I receive here and I just want to keep fighting! Thanks guys. We can do this together.

Purps, glad to have you back here, I was wondering how you're doing Well done on day 7!

Determined, a big check in sounds great How is everyone doing??
Old 09-22-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Purps - Welcome back! Congrats on day 7. You can do this
determined - I'm really looking forward to my down time too!
Snufkin - Glad you're feeling so positive. Hope you like all your new classes at school!

I have a big day at work today and feeling really under the weather. I think Ambien withdrawal is now in full effect and it's giving me flu-like symptoms. I just can't wait for this day to be over so I can relax and take care of myself. I will go back to normal eventually, but I'm not sure what normal feels like anymore.

How are the rest of you doing?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I'm hitting 4 weeks sober this weekend, yay!
Feeling quite good today though the tiredness and lack of motivation is still there. Yesterday evening I saw my sponsor and and I will spend most of the day on Monday with him getting through all the stuff i wrote down for my 4th step. Feels good getting all that garbage out of my mind.

Also I'm invited for a new job interview on monday afternoon
Didn't even apply for any job ad or anything, just called a local company and asked if they were interested, and they invited me over for an interview, so I'm really excited
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Mr

hello classmates. i havent posted here in ages.
Im sober since the 10th of August and feeling good.
The cravings and AV still pop up to surprise me but its manageable.
The friday feeling is tough enough for me so i am extra careful on weekend (plan ahead)

Snufkin... i got to visit scotland a few times
I liked it. I was in Edinburgh, Glasgow and fort william. I loved all around fort william... even went for a stroll in the moutains.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Planning ahead is key Vman.

Forgot to mention - today is day 50!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Messed up last night, but I am back.
Went to something I wasn't planning to go to and ended up having some (too much) wine, mainly because of poor planning and halt, etc.
This morning was awful, but in a way I'm glad, because it just reinforced what I already knew.
Anyway, I'm back and sober and happy to be so.