Notices

Class of August 2017 Part 3

Old 09-12-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Sorry about your mum deter, hope things get better for her soon.

Tyger, good luck with the interview and well done for getting it! Hope it goes well, let us know.

That's good that you are getting help with the ambien leana, one of the biggest lies my AV told me was about not being able to sleep without alcohol, the sleep I get now is one of the greatest benefits of being sober, I hope you get there.

No word from purps or forwards, hope you are both ok.

I'm off to work then have a family birthday party this evening. Plan is firmly in place for that just in case. I checked this morning and today is day 50 for me. 50 days of freedom and counting. I get what they say about wanting to be sober more than you want to drink, but I will not let my guard down.

Have a great day everyone xxx
Old 09-12-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes for your mum determined

D
Old 09-13-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Morning all you lovely people!

My sober calculator on my phone has switched to months + days setting- I am at 1 month + 2 days and also happy that this marks my quitting smoking date as well.

Have been having lots of inner dialogue while falling asleep that helps me sort through my near 2 decades of drinking. I am writing a book about my experiences, and it seems like at night I get the most inspiration...all the patterns and links come together when I am almost asleep, and then I wake up with great themes and ideas!
Hoping to self publish by end of year but we'll see...with an almost 5 month old and a tired pregnant body, it's not always easy to get the writing done!!!

Today I am getting together with friends to plan a girlfriend's bachelorette party and then going to the gym for some light (very light cause I'm tired!!!) cardio.

Then dinner and probably relaxing night with hubby.

How is everyone doing this week?

Can't believe we are mid-month.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the well wishes guys! Heading to spend time again today as things are not so good. Tough time, certainly woke the AV up, but staying strong and logging in quite a bit here. Thanks again team, much love out to all.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hope you all feel good toaday.
I went to the job interview today, it went really well, so now I am excited to hear if i got the job - they said they will tell me before the end of the week.
I was also with my sponsor doing some work on the steps and soon I will be off to a meeting
Old 09-13-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that determined. Hope that things get better soon, but glad you are managing to stay sober.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Great news Tyger, fingers crossed.

Congrats on your milestones SB and lily. I'll pass 50 days this weekend.
It feels good to be able to say that. I haven't gone more than 2 days sober since January, so stringing this many together makes me feel much more positive about the future
Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Slept OK last night - took half an Ambien as part of the tapering process and it worked out fine.

Going to a LifeRing meeting at lunch which is the first meeting I've been to since Friday. I'm feeling the difference from missing meetings.

Congrats to those with sober milestones and for SoberTyger for the great interview!

deter - I drank a ton when my mom was sick so I understand how it can trigger the AV.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Thanks tea and Leana, much appreciated. It does send the mind and emotions on quite the roller coaster. Back home with sparkling watermelon drink in hand!

Fingers crossed for you Tyger my friend! Good stuff.

Goodnight team A, big hugs at ya.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Sounds refreshing deter!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Tyger

D
Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Just watched the 13th Step and it was discouraging. I will keep going to AA, but if anyone tells me my "thinking is stinking" I might lose my ****.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi leana

I haven't seen the whole movie but it's pretty clear that it has an agenda. There are good AA people and good AA meetings and some not so good....same as anything else

IMO 'Stinking Thinking' should really only apply to thoughts of how good a drink would be etc.- anything that gets in the way of your recovery.

D
Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I'm just not sure I'm ready to get sucked into the vortex of AA. It seems so moralistic and cult-like. But... I do see the value of a strong support community. I'm just torn.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Had an amazing eight hour sleep and feel wonderfully refreshed this morning. The party last night was great, lovely to see family members I hadn't seen for a while and show off my gorgeous grandson to them. It wasn't till I was lying in bed last night that it occurred to me that although it was a drinking event I felt nothing regarding alcohol. It didn't even cross my mind! Just the dynamics of the night I guess and the wee guy being there taking up all of my attention but it was a great feeling.

Deter, I know what you're going through, I've been there and I hope it helps if I tell you that I so wish I had been sober and clear headed looking back. Sure I drank to numb the pain and hurt, but the problem with that is it also numbs everything else and I really do regret it now. Stay strong my friend, you can do this!

Tea, I know we were around the same time, and I am not one for shouting about it but 50 days, I can hardly believe it either! Well done us!

Tyger I have everything crossed for you that you get good news about the job!

Blonde, well done on your 1 month and several days! I didn't realise you had a five month old, just exhausted thinking about being pregnant with one of those! Have a good time but don't overdo it!

Leana, dee is right (as always) I arms sure AA is like everything else, good and bad. You just have to take as you find and make your own mind up, hope it works for you.

I'm off today, going down to my daughters this morning to watch my wee darling as she will no doubt have to go back to bed for an hour or two after letting her hair down a wee bit at the party. Hope you all have an amazing day, deter sending positive thoughts and energy to your mum.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:40 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Good morning gang! Thanks for your post lily, great waking up to read that. You are spot on about the drinking during times like this. I do not want to do that either for many reasons, but boy those thoughts do pop up. This has certainly made me pause and think about how precious life really is and how little time we have with each other. No time to waste, not even a little.

That being said, when I think of what a waste of time drinking, and everything that goes with it is, hard not to get caught in regret. But even regret is a waste of valuable time isn't it.

Sitting in an outside room listening to crickets and watching the sun come up. Grateful for another day ahead and for so many good things in life. Smile on my face for the day and wishing you all the best one. We are in this together friends, stay strong and make it a fantastic day!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Good day good people!
Having a quit rainy day here.
I'm about to start working on the 4th step, gonna be a tough one.
I am excited anticipating news on the job i interviewed for, but I try not to think too much and make too many plans in my mind, don't want to get too disappointed if I don't get it, so I try focusing on other matters now, when I can do nothing but wait for a reply...
Hope you are all doing good today
Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Hmm, so I didn't get the job. The manager called me, he was very nice though and said I made a good impression and that my qualifications were good and he was sure I'll easily get a similar job, but of course i feel a bit disappointed.
But I'm taking things easy - I don't want to rush out and do something I'll later regret, i have made too many rushed life decitions before, getting jobs or moving to places I didn't really like in hope to "fix" my life... now i better think things through and don't do anything I'll regret later
Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear Tyger. I've been there. I know what you mean about making changes to fix things. It rarely works if you haven't dealt with the underlying issues. Have faith that the right opportunity will come along in time.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Morning all. I've taken half an Ambien the past two nights and slept great! I'm hoping to get off of it completely in week.

I'm currently reflecting on previous relapses since I'm coming up on breaking my previous record of 45 days. The first time I didn't seek any help and was following the harm reduction moderation protocol. Needless to say it didn't work. Then I quit because I had to for my Intensive Outpatient Program after a 5150. That didn't last because it wasn't my decision. Then I quit because a guy I was interested in quit and it inspired me. Again, it wasn't completely for me and I had ulterior motives (having something in common with a dude that later drove me to drink even more). This time I'm finally calling myself an alcoholic and I'm getting help without any outside pressure to do so. Hopefully that's the magic formula for me.