Notices

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part Two

Old 06-28-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Hello Poppy, Welcome to the class of May 2017
Old 06-29-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
Hello to you both from England. It's hot but raining so it's like a jungle out there.

I don't think either of you give yourselves enough credit for what you are achieving while giving up alcohol. From the outside, I read all the things you do, and am pretty impressed. Don't be hard on yourselves, not when you're doing something about this mega-problem. This is the hardest thing I've ever done.

If only I could take my own advice Yesterday was stuff-myself-with-food day, then avoid all mirrors. Today is shopping. And I do need the t-shirt for the gym, but the other 10 items??? I'll have to return it all tomorrow... Doh. Honestly, I swear when you refuse to face emotions, they come out sideways where we don't have any defences.

Lots of genuine tears of sadness today which I hope are healing rather than angry tears of frustration and self-pity which I had at the beginning.

Laughter too though. It's quite hard to write about serious things when the dog has a squeaky plastic brussels sprout toy he's throwing in the air and catching. It was his Christmas present. One of many, individually wrapped, if I'm truthful.

p.s. Where are you Caramel and BatholithBabe? Thinking of you. Hope all is going well?

Love and peace to all.
I'm here Weev! Thanks for asking about me. I'm doing fine. Was at the cottage last weekend and relaxed and pined for wine for just a little bit. I had another epiphany, too. Wine is my demon. And I realized it will always be there whether I want it to be or not. This reminds me of the guy who told me he quit smoking by carrying his unopened pack of smokes in his shirt pocket everywhere with him. He knew he could have one anytime he needed, he just simply decided he didn't want to. When I finally quit smoking, it was only successful because I stopped fighting it. I accepted the cigarette but I also walked away because the desire was gone.

This weekend here in Canada is a big one, our country's 150th birthday bash. There are activities going on all over the place. As an introvert, I'm not drooling at the mouth to get out there and unfortunately for those who are, the weather forecast is wet, so.....perfect weekend for me coming up...... staying home and watching it rain outside.

I can have more fun and excitement and do awesome creative stuff when I am sober. My abuse of alcohol has robbed me of many precious moments I could've been creating instead of zoning out. I still hate reality and always will. So I make my own reality and it's pretty cool!

Stay true to your heart and spirit. Wish the world well, and then do your own thing with love and intentions of joy and peace.

Peace out.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Originally Posted by Poppy2006 View Post
Hi all need to this post, my sober date is May 12, 2017
Hi Poppy and welcome to this thread. I hope you're doing okay and look forward to getting to know you. Love Weev
Old 06-29-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Originally Posted by BatholithBabe View Post
I'm here Weev! Thanks for asking about me. I'm doing fine. Was at the cottage last weekend and relaxed and pined for wine for just a little bit. I had another epiphany, too. Wine is my demon. And I realized it will always be there whether I want it to be or not. This reminds me of the guy who told me he quit smoking by carrying his unopened pack of smokes in his shirt pocket everywhere with him. He knew he could have one anytime he needed, he just simply decided he didn't want to. When I finally quit smoking, it was only successful because I stopped fighting it. I accepted the cigarette but I also walked away because the desire was gone.

This weekend here in Canada is a big one, our country's 150th birthday bash. There are activities going on all over the place. As an introvert, I'm not drooling at the mouth to get out there and unfortunately for those who are, the weather forecast is wet, so.....perfect weekend for me coming up...... staying home and watching it rain outside.

I can have more fun and excitement and do awesome creative stuff when I am sober. My abuse of alcohol has robbed me of many precious moments I could've been creating instead of zoning out. I still hate reality and always will. So I make my own reality and it's pretty cool!

Stay true to your heart and spirit. Wish the world well, and then do your own thing with love and intentions of joy and peace.

Peace out.
Hi BB, I'm very pleased to hear from you as always and so happy you made it through last weekend.

I love the picture of the little birdie too. I wonder if I could make such a pretty perch for my garden birds. It's nice you're so creative. I'm not! But I could copy it!!! I've been watching those birds in sobriety and they are raising their second lot of chicks this year. Very industrious fellows. Also, they eat sacks of bird seed. It's a wonder they can get off the ground.

That was a lovely last paragraph and I will try to stay true to myself, though I think I lost myself at the bottom of a bottle.
I ran into some female acquaintances from my party life tonight and feel as if I've been mauled by three unsmiling, competitive lions. For my part, I did disappear without a word from party land when I stopped drinking. And thinking about it, they are hardly an advertisement to go back there. So maybe it's a positive experience after all.

Joy and peace to you!!!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hi Poppy- great to have you in our group!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
Hello to you both from England. It's hot but raining so it's like a jungle out there.

I don't think either of you give yourselves enough credit for what you are achieving while giving up alcohol. From the outside, I read all the things you do, and am pretty impressed. Don't be hard on yourselves, not when you're doing something about this mega-problem. This is the hardest thing I've ever done.

If only I could take my own advice Yesterday was stuff-myself-with-food day, then avoid all mirrors. Today is shopping. And I do need the t-shirt for the gym, but the other 10 items??? I'll have to return it all tomorrow... Doh.

Lots of genuine tears of sadness today which I hope are healing rather than angry tears of frustration and self-pity which I had at the beginning.

Laughter too though. It's quite hard to write about serious things when the dog has a squeaky plastic brussels sprout toy he's throwing in the air and catching. It was his Christmas present. One of many, individually wrapped, if I'm truthful.

p.s. Where are you Caramel and BatholithBabe? Thinking of you. Hope all is going well?

Love and peace to all.
Thanks again for the support Weev- I guess we should all give ourselves a bit more credit. I hope today was a better food day for you. Your quote about shopping hit home- I find I am overspending a LOT lately and I know it's because it makes me feel good to some extent. I need to pull the reigns in on it though- it's getting out of hand. I keep meaning to lower our grocery budget but instead I end up overspending every damn time.

Laughter is good- I'm so glad you have your dog to remind you that life can be humorous and fun, no matter what we are going through
Old 06-30-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Wohoo, It was Eight weeks ago today (almost to the hour) that I had my last drink. Wohoo. I did go to court this morning, I guess this is 1 of a few court dates that I'll have for my DWI. Nothing happen, my Lawyer talked to DA, I signed a paper and left. I did break down a bit while talking my lawyer, he told me everything will be alright and to keep doing what I'm doing. (staying sober) Even if the courts came back today and said my DWI was dropped I still to live a sober life. Thank you SR for being here.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad today was OK - Congrats on 8 weeks rainman

D
Old 07-01-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rainman1 View Post
Wohoo, It was Eight weeks ago today (almost to the hour) that I had my last drink. Wohoo. I did go to court this morning, I guess this is 1 of a few court dates that I'll have for my DWI. Nothing happen, my Lawyer talked to DA, I signed a paper and left. I did break down a bit while talking my lawyer, he told me everything will be alright and to keep doing what I'm doing. (staying sober) Even if the courts came back today and said my DWI was dropped I still to live a sober life. Thank you SR for being here.
Congratulations on 8 weeks Rainman- that is a huge accomplishment and I know how good that feels.

Glad court was uneventful and that your lawyer seems hopeful for the following dates. Keep doing what you're doing, you're on the right path.
Hope you're having a great weekend!
Old 07-01-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Hi everyone- how is the weekend going?

We have been pretty low key so far- the boys got haircuts this morning, we hit a couple stores and now I am sitting in the family room enjoying some peace as my little guy naps and 5 year old does his "quiet time." Thank God for quiet time!

This weekend is a bit stressful as my husband has to work Sunday (which is usually his day off) but he will make up for it by being off Tuesday which is the 4th of July (and school is closed for our older son.)

So I need more than anything to dig up some patience and playfullness to survive the upcoming hours with my boys! I want to remember to play more- I get so wrapped up in mommy mode that I forget to have fun with them. Need to do it now while they're young and still want to be in my company.

My AV has been pretty quiet- not too many rumblings although I was at the pool with one of my best friends the other day and she mentioned grabbing a drink from the bar which thank god was closed (it was 10 am!). I haven't told her yet that I am in recovery- I almost feel like she won't believe me. Have you all told your closest friends? 2 of my 3 closest girlfriends know at this point. 1 is very supportive, the second doesn't get it and wanted me to explain to her what happens when I drink that makes me think I am an alcoholic. I guess if you don't get it you just don't get it and that's okay.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Back to reading before all hell breaks loose and the kids come out of their rooms! Hope to hear from all of you...

Old 07-01-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Just checking in to say hi to you, Sun and Rain. Congrats on 8 weeks. It's a big deal. Thinking of all us Maybugs sharing a sober path with love and hope tonight. Hoping I don't wake up at 5am again. Night night x
Old 07-01-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Back at ya Weev, It is a big deal, I'm very proud of myself and everyone in here for trying to better themselves. I really don't think I would be where I'm at today if it weren't for SR.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Feeling pretty crappy this morning. I binged again last night (food, not alcohol.) My trigger is Saturday nights because my husband works and I have to handle the boys on my own. In the past I would drink. Now I just numb myself with food and then wake up hating myself and what I've done.

The only way around this is to make sure I have help on Saturday but my sister is out of town and my parents I could tell did not want to be bothered. It makes me sad that they don't want to come over and spend time with the boys but I also understand that they still work a lot and are in their 70s- the weekends are their time to rest as well.

Just feeling sad this morning and I knew it when I was binging that it was going to affect my mood today. Husband works again 10-3 today. God help me. I don't know how I am going to survive this day. I might try taking them to the pool myself. At least that will keep them busy for several hours.

Thinking of all of you. I want to get back to my hypnosis for binge eating. Need to dig it up and get it on the ipod so I can start listening tonight.

Happy Sunday my friends...
Old 07-02-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hang in there Sun. What are you doing so you don't drink? Why not try to the same tools to quit binge eating?
Old 07-02-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Hey Sunny, how's the day progressing?

You need as much support as you can get with 2 small children to raise, let alone stopping drinking at the same time. I guess they're growing all the time and "this too shall pass" one day.

Maybe your husband would agree to a babysitter for these vulnerable moments? You'd probably only need them in these early months of your sobriety. I don't know what's possible in this area though, so feel free to ignore me

Watch out for that pool bar. See, like a true alcoholic, I've already made a note of where it is!

Thinking of you, honey xxx
Old 07-02-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

This is crazy. My anxiety is through the roof. My wife left an hour or so ago to go to my daughters house, she's going to babysit tomorrow while my daughter works. I couldn't go because I have to work tomorrow. It's not that I want a beer but I guess it's more of what I use to do in the past, wife would leave, I had the house to myself and I could drink all I want without her knowing (she did though). I'm committed to not drinking so why am I so on edge?
Old 07-02-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Keep Going

This is crazy. My anxiety is through the roof. My wife left an hour or so ago to go to my daughters house, she's going to babysit tomorrow while my daughter works. I couldn't go because I have to work tomorrow. It's not that I want a beer but I guess it's more of what I use to do in the past, wife would leave, I had the house to myself and I could drink all I want without her knowing (she did though). I'm committed to not drinking so why am I so on edge?
Hey Rainman,
This happens to me when I get triggered, my breathing gets real shallow and I can hear my heart pounding. I get kindof one track thinking.
Don't let it escalate. Break the cycle. Do something different.

Call someone, do something vigorous and physical, post and post again, make sure you're not thirsty, bubbly bitter things work for me, get out of the house, walk, drive, read other peoples posts, look up AA meetings, (that'll interfere with your drinking) but most of all remember Day 1 and how god-awful it felt.

I can't break the cycle on my own yet because the only solution I had for two decades was pick up alcohol. But I can do it with help whilst my brain learns new ways to be. I trust that when the good people of this site say it gets better, they are telling the truth.

You've done so well, you'll kick yourself if you don't get to see what lies ahead of you in sobriety. I care what happens to you. You've been doing so much whilst trying to get sober on top of it.

Guess I could have said what you're feeling is normal and it will pass.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Hi Poppy. I was just thinking of you. How are you doing?
Old 07-02-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Thanks Weev, I guess part of it is realizing how much control had over my life, and that makes me sad..
Old 07-02-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Thanks Weev, I guess part of it is realizing how much control had over my life, and that makes me sad..
I'm exactly there with you. Looking back it seems like it was all about the alcohol and everything else happened around it. It makes me sad too.

BUT we didn't choose that, we'd never have chosen that life. And now we've learned about it we can make a life WE choose. We could have many, many fulfilling, happy years ahead of us, we don't know!!! You do anything you need to so you can find out.